• From The List of Things I Ponder

July 12, 2006

How is it that it can take 24 minutes to dress a toddler, but only 24 seconds for him to get completely naked? I guess it could just be a GUY thing. Actually it only takes about 4 minutes to dress a toddler. The other twenty minutes are spent bribing, threatening, cajoling, and negotiating while he does an impression of a boy made of Jello.

This comes up because the other day I had Sean completely dressed and ready for school. I ran back to my bedroom to grab something (and I mean I literally ran) and by the time I got back ten seconds later he was standing by the door to the garage wearing only his backpack and his socks.

I guess I hadn’t gotten the note that it was Naked Day at school.

1. chelle says:

Our toddler has not mastered undressing yet and from the sounds of it, I may consider not teaching her how…..hehe

July 12th, 2006 at 9:58 pm

2. Brenda says:

Naked Day at school! That’s hilarious. Love your sense of humor. I believe that’s a survival strategy from way back, invented to keep mothers from mutilating their young.

July 12th, 2006 at 10:15 pm

3. kelly jeanie says:

Oh that’s priceless. Future teenager embarrassment fodder.

July 12th, 2006 at 11:34 pm

4. Paulette1958 says:

Ha this reminds me of when my son was 5,I set the timer in the mornings and gave him ample time to be ready to go or the consequence was, he had to completely dress in the car on the way to school.He thought I was joshin, Well I tell you that boy was completely dressed by the time I was at the end of my drive. And it never happened again. But they may not work for you since he doesnt mind going naked lol……
      Too funny.

July 13th, 2006 at 2:22 am

LOL! Every now and then, my kids want not to get dressed for school. I call it pajama day and move on. I figure if they don’t mind the joshing they’ll receive, I can live with it too.

It’s a good thing they don’t sleep in the nude though…

July 13th, 2006 at 9:59 am

We have a son. He is now five. From the ages of 11 (when he began walking) until about 3 1/2 we called him “Noodle Leg Boy.” I laugh until I cried at your description of Sean as a “boy made of jello.”

Be strong, Antique Mommy, you’ve only a little while longer before he grows bones strong enough to support him while being dressed.

July 13th, 2006 at 10:45 am

That was 11 MONTHS

July 13th, 2006 at 10:46 am

8. Kim says:

If my boys could they would go everywhere naked. I’m just happy we finally got them to wear underwear.

July 13th, 2006 at 12:15 pm

9. Stacey says:

Kids are just too quick aren’t they? Wow, sounds like you’ve got a silly one on your hands!!

July 13th, 2006 at 1:26 pm

10. Caryn says:

Okay, not to laugh at your frustration, but this was hilarious! Especially the Jell-O part. Such an accurate description.

July 13th, 2006 at 2:13 pm

11. H.A. Page says:

Which shoe do you want to put on first, this one or that one?

The shorts or the shirt?

The arm through this hole or that?

Boys and men. They have to be in control.

MotherPie Cheers.

July 13th, 2006 at 2:33 pm

12. Jeanette says:

The socks ARE the most important part, you know.

July 13th, 2006 at 4:27 pm

13. Damselfly says:

That would make such a hysterical photo … if only you could take the photo, that is. Do you know what I mean?

July 13th, 2006 at 5:24 pm

Damselfly — Oh, I could take the photo (and I have). I just couldn’t post it on the internet.

July 13th, 2006 at 5:50 pm

15. Fraulein says:

That’s pretty funny. With my Peanut (who is a 21-month-old girl) we haven’t yet had to deal with her randomly undressing herself, but every doll in the house must be naked All. The. Time. She completely freaks out if I try to put the clothes back on the dolls. Before I had the Peanut, when I visited the homes of friends with older daughters who played with Barbies, I used to wonder why the Barbies always seemed to be naked. It seems it’s a lot easier to take the doll clothes off than to put them back on!

July 14th, 2006 at 8:39 am

16. Linda says:

If you can stand it let him dress himself. somehow our 5-year-old doesn’t mind keeping the clothes on so much if HE picks them out.
      Alex’s Mommy
      (and I’m 52, although I do have to admit to doing it the easy way – he’s adopted, so at least I didn’t have to be pregnant at 47, oh my God, what a thought. We got him when he was 5 1/2 months old.)

July 17th, 2006 at 10:04 pm