• In Good Hands

July 29, 2006

Saturday morning, we made the trip to the yonder reaches of the metroplex to see the tree house exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum.  Contrary to what you might think, the Dallas Arboretum is really spectacular, even at this miserable time of the year. If you’ve never been, you will probably be surprised.

The tree house exhibit was interesting. Sean is obsessed with tree houses right now and we were expecting to see more Swiss Family Robinson style tree houses but what they featured were 13 abstract tree houses. Not what we expected, but we had a great time nonetheless.

As we traipsed across 66 acres of beautifully manicured horti-scapes (I just made that word up!) with pergolas dressed in glorious sweeping vines and tidy stone paths lined with ivy and tiny budding flowers of every color and water dancing and leaping from fountains, we apparently became intoxicated with the grandeur of it all, because we would occassionally turn to each other and say, “Wouldn’t it be nice to do that in our yard? We could do that in our yard, couldn’t we?” After indulging ourselves in an eensy bit of delusion we finally snapped out of it and remembered that a) we don’t know squat about gardening, b) we stink at gardening c) we have a mole.

In spite of the heat and that it was well beyond lunchtime, Sean was in remarkably good spirits, so we decided to stop for lunch. Dining with a toddler is always an iffy proposition, but remarkably, we made it through lunch with no incident, so I decided a reward was in order. I suggested to Sean that we go outside and play in a little nearby playground area while Daddy finished eating and waited for the check.

As Sean and I climbed out of our side of the booth and headed out, he stopped and put his hand on Antique Daddy’s knee, looked him squarely in the eye and solemnly said, “Don’t worry about Mom, Daddy. I’ll take care of her.”

I was caught off guard. Laughter and tears caught together in the back of my throat in one sweet tangle. And at that very moment it did not seem unreasonable to reach into my chest, pull out my glowing, beating heart and offer it to him.

1. Eagles Wings Mommy says:

Oh that was so cute! Aren’t those the precious times when your heart absolutely breaks and then you get a slight glimpse of our Heavenly Father’s heart 🙂
      Blessings and thanks so much for sharing that beautiful moment 🙂

July 29th, 2006 at 5:56 pm

2. An Iowa Mom says:

I’m jealous … We went to lunch today too … I’ve got 4 kids (under 8), and I got nothing even close, or nearly as sweet! Such a great boy you have!

July 29th, 2006 at 6:36 pm

3. Code Yellow Mom says:

I love it – cute little man!

July 29th, 2006 at 7:20 pm

4. Paulette1958 says:

That is amazing from such an adorably cute child. That picture is priceless. I love reading your posts.
      Happy weekend to you!!

July 29th, 2006 at 8:36 pm

5. Lundie says:

My heart did a little leap too, just reading that… It’s amazing just how much love they can generate, isn’t it?

Lund

PS – So, you’ve still got that mole, eh? Haven’t shipped him up here yet?

July 29th, 2006 at 10:21 pm

6. Kristin says:

Can we square up the dowry now, because I really want Sean as my son-in-law!

July 29th, 2006 at 11:53 pm

7. emi says:

I’ll never forget the day when my little boy, age 4, said he was going to live with me forever so he could take care of me! He was so serious and sincere.

Now he’s 16. ‘Nuff said.

July 30th, 2006 at 12:12 am

8. stacey says:

That is SOO sweet! Oh my goodness. 🙂 I’m glad y’all had a good time at the arboretum. I saw commercials and knew to a degree what the houses are like, but we still want to hit it soon.

July 30th, 2006 at 5:33 am

9. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

Oh my goodness, that boy looks like you!

July 30th, 2006 at 9:16 am

10. Jules says:

Oh, the wonder of being the mommy of a boy. Joy, joy, joy.

July 30th, 2006 at 7:52 pm

11. Robbie says:

The moments you never, never forget. Now, to set it in the front of your mind when you find their marajuana stash………..

July 30th, 2006 at 8:00 pm

12. Mary says:

And it’s moments like that that make me wish with every fiber of my being that I had a child. For the most part I am alright with the fact that I am not blessed with one to raise and call my own.

I went to cisit friends this weekend and the best line was “Everyone should have an Aunt Murry!” At least it made me feel good!

I can’t get over how much he has grown in his pictures. His little face is so thin! No more baby face!

August 1st, 2006 at 12:51 pm