• Things I Learned From Balloons

August 13, 2006

Balloons1) If someone knocks you down, bounce right back and be perky. It’s annoying.

2) It only takes one little prick to take the wind out of your sails.

3) Sometimes the greatest joy is in the releasing and letting go.

4) Some go out with a bang. Others linger long and lifeless. But nothing lasts forever.

5) Sometimes all it takes to cheer someone up is just to hang around.

6) It’s probably best to stay away from power lines.

The bandwagon is officially open. Feel free to jump on.

1. Carolie says:

Wow…so positive after the doctor’s office waiting room (I was afraid you were still there!)

Thanks. The balloon analogies made me smile (especially the one about the little prick…)

August 13th, 2006 at 9:47 pm

2. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

7) The more colorful your group is, the better.

8) Birthday parties are almost ALWAYS the best places to be.

August 13th, 2006 at 10:01 pm

3. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

7) The more colorful your group is, the better.

8) Birthday parties are almost ALWAYS the best places to be.

August 13th, 2006 at 10:01 pm

4. Valarie says:

all it takes is a little rub in the right spot to make someone’s hair stand on end. (again, interperet however you wish)

August 13th, 2006 at 10:11 pm

5. Susan says:

Wow. I never knew I could learn all that from a balloon, but you are exactly right.

August 13th, 2006 at 10:20 pm

6. Wendy Boucher says:

Suffer the blowhards. In the end they just pop.

August 13th, 2006 at 10:48 pm

7. Kelley Smith says:

Only let someone you trust control your strings.

August 13th, 2006 at 10:56 pm

8. nootonet says:

Balloons are mostly hot air!

Balloons become flaccid with old age. (Also, open to being interpreted)

If they don’t stay grounded, you’ll never see them again.

August 13th, 2006 at 11:36 pm

9. Rebecca says:

Right after my grandpa died, I was walking with my little daughter and she was holding a balloon – which was accidentally released to the sky.
      “That’s okay,” I said to my sobbing daughter, “It’s going up to Heaven to see Great-Grandpa.”
      My little girl looked at the sky.
      “GREAT-GRANDPA!” she screamed, “YOU GIVE ME MY BALLOON BACK RIGHT NOW!”
      Life Lesson: It’s rude to take other people’s balloons.

August 14th, 2006 at 7:14 am

10. Susan says:

Um must have been the only child that did not love balloons.
      Great post though.
      Think I’m in the long and linger catagory of balloon, you know lifeless and a heap behind the sofa.

August 14th, 2006 at 8:15 am

11. Jules says:

What goes up must eventually come down. You can’t spend your life floating in the clouds. Sometimes you have to get your feet on the ground.

August 14th, 2006 at 9:41 am

12. Paulette1958 says:

I always took my children to restaurants when they were little, they would always get a balloon. I was alittle paranoid after a while because they would pop in the car on the way home and freak me out. So I told my children from now on let’s let them go in the parking lot and see how far we could watch them. My son at 4 years old said let’s let them go to Heaven I am sure a child must be having a Birthday today!!! So then it became a tradition. I think of that often when I see Balloons.

August 14th, 2006 at 11:10 am

13. laura says:

I learned that I am allergic to latex which sucks for my kids although sometimes I will gamble a little like when my youngest received a balloon bouquet from his best friend after surgery # 9. I just kept my epi-pen handy and tried not to scratch the itchy hives.

August 14th, 2006 at 3:26 pm

14. Susan says:

Darling post! I didn’t realize balloons could teach us so much. Love it!

August 14th, 2006 at 4:18 pm

15. Christy in TN says:

Dare to be transparent – your colorful, delightful, transparent self.

August 14th, 2006 at 8:48 pm

16. Damselfly says:

It’s OK to come in all shapes, sizes and colors — every one of them is still fun.

August 15th, 2006 at 5:01 pm

17. Kit says:

Wind can be expelled in loud farty noises!

Sorry that was the first thing that came to mind after a day with my kids.

August 20th, 2006 at 1:26 pm

18. sheilah says:

I. Love. This. Post.

…from another (even more) antique mommy…

August 25th, 2006 at 4:08 pm