• Hold Everything

August 18, 2006

Sean takes the slogan “Have it your way!” to a whole new level. This exchange the other evening:

AM: Sean, how about a chicken pot pie for dinner? Does that sound good?

Sean: Okay, but I don’t want the chicken in it.

AM: Well then how about macaroni & cheese instead?

Sean: Sure! I just don’t want the cheese on it.

AM: Okiedokie then… How about a hamburger?

Sean: Okay but I don’t want the meat on it. I just don’t like the meat part.

AM: How about a macaroni and hamburger bun pot pie then?

Sean: Okay.

AM: That was joke. You know the internet people get my jokes. How about I pick out the chicken in the pot pie? Would that work for you?

Sean: Okay.

AM: Want some chocolate milk to go with it?

Sean: Sure!… But not the milk part.

AM: Why did I not already know that?

1. H.A.Page says:

I remember that finicky stage! I’d use humor/distraction. As in: Want a shoe chopped up in there, too? Or, do you want to eat it in a bowl or on a plate, with a fork or with a spoon? Eat it like a monster, or eat it like a goon? Eat it later, or eat it soon?

August 18th, 2006 at 8:21 am

Officially, I declare you a much nicer mom than I am.

I remember when my son started in on that. I’d listen to his requests as I was making lunch, and then I just set the food on the table and said “If you’re hungry, there’s the food. I’m not a short order cook. You’ve got a couple of choices: Take it or leave it.”

It’s amazing how less picky that boy is now. However, he still cannot eat broccoli without making a face. But at least he eats it.

August 18th, 2006 at 8:46 am

3. Carola says:

My daughter doesn’t talk yet, but she still finds her way to say she doesn’t like something…she bites the spoon, moves her head quickly to the side, pushes my hand with hers throwing all the food that was on the spoon to the floor/my lap/my face…I look forward to the happy years to come! 😉

August 18th, 2006 at 8:53 am

4. Mary says:

I loved this stage, however, I was an Auntie. It would take me forever to make a sandwich and drive my brother to distraction. One of my favorite memories is when I walked into my brother’s house when my folks were visiting. My brother looked at me and said “You’ll never guess what YOUR mother did.” I said, “When did she become MY mother?” he replied, “When she fed my son cold Spahgettios for breakfast.”

I, of course, just laughed because that is exactly what I would have done. My mother’s defense? That is what he wanted. Rock on Mom.

August 18th, 2006 at 9:11 am

5. Angela says:

You’ve got a CEO in the makings!

It’s cute when they are two and you’re their mom. It’s just wrong when they are 52 and your boss.

The internet people get my jokes….

August 18th, 2006 at 9:44 am

6. Rabbit says:

“the internet people get my jokes.” The internet people? That’s all we are to you? 😀 Can we invade your home like the TV People in Poltergeist? Sean will look at your laptop and say, “they’re heeeere” and we’ll all bring hamburger bun and macaroni pot pies, and magazines for you to read in the waiting room, and whack moles in your back yard.

August 18th, 2006 at 9:53 am

7. Susan says:

I have actually *paid* my daughter to try things (like broccoli). Is that pathetic or what? Every time, though, she’s ended up liking whatever it was she tried, and then – lucky me – she will eat it, free of charge, in the future. 😉

I know, I know. I have stooped to whole new levels of low.

Now I must say that I didn’t even attempt to bribe her at Sean’s age. At his age, she was way more stubborn, and I’m pretty sure her entire diet consisted of fruit, hot dogs, chicken nuggets and mac ‘n’ cheese. And compared to some of my friends’ kids, that was a lot.

August 18th, 2006 at 10:36 am

8. Paulette says:

Well I got most of that conversation just fine, except you lost me when he staed he wanted chocolate milk with no milk? How is that possible.
      My kids were picky but I gave them two choices and trust me they ate it when they got hungry.
      Sean is adorable, I am glad you are having such a grand time with.

August 18th, 2006 at 10:56 am

9. Kari says:

I love reading all about Sean. What a cute little guy you have! I have a 2yr old and a 1yr old who are still rather agreeable to most things but I see them being picky in the days to come!

My fave phrase that you use is “Whatever Dude!”

August 18th, 2006 at 11:27 am

10. Big Mama says:

I can totally relate to this. My 3 year old daughter can live for a week on two cheese cubes, half a hot dog, and some Teddy Grahams.

August 18th, 2006 at 11:36 am

11. But Momma says:

Cute! I totally understand Chocolate Milk without the milk. Isn’t that how everybody drinks it?

Mine say things like “YOU KNOW I HATE KETCHUP!” “Well, no. Actually when you ask me to order your burger with nothing but ketchup, I kind of think you like it.”

Is it just me?

August 18th, 2006 at 2:27 pm

12. Kacey says:

Well, what else? Chocolate milk without the milk is a Hershey Bar — pass the plate, Sean. Smart little Dude!

August 18th, 2006 at 6:56 pm

13. molly says:

This could only make sense to another mommy. Mine for years lived on air and her left sucking thumb. To this day she won’t eat anthing green in case in might turn out to be a veggie.

August 18th, 2006 at 7:22 pm

14. Barb says:

(Whatever happened about that mole? I’m dying to know.) I have a grown daughter who still won’t eat anything green.

Have you thought about maybe a glass of water and a multitude of vitamins? Honestly, when my kids started getting picky it drove me nuts. Thank goodness it only lasts about twenty years.

August 18th, 2006 at 10:28 pm

15. Wendy Boucher says:

I love conversations with kids. I never get tired of reading them. Keep ’em coming.

August 19th, 2006 at 9:11 am

16. andrea says:

It’s been ages since I came across a blog that I immediately want to subscribe to (and it’s not even an art blog!). I enjoyed your bio — I even have a couple of stories of people who have given up, been given a prescription for the pill and never started it because they were pregnant. It even happened to me with my second.

Off on vacation now but I shall return.

August 19th, 2006 at 10:27 am

17. Christina says:

Too funny. I have been there, done that. Kids come up with the most amazing things yet when we find them strange they think they are totally normal. Like its normal to have chicken pot pie without chicken.

August 19th, 2006 at 11:15 am

18. Kit says:

My kids love it when I make quiche, but only eat the pastry……..maybe I should just bake the pastry on its own.

August 20th, 2006 at 1:43 pm

19. Kailani says:

Sounds like a typical kid! At least he knows what he likes and doesn’t like!

August 21st, 2006 at 4:07 am

20. Tasra says:

I’ll have to agree with the others…you’re much nicer and definitely more patient than I would have been in a similar verbal exchange!

Finally posted my mug shot that I had been telling you about. It’s on my blog: Lessons from the Scrapbook Page.

August 21st, 2006 at 6:52 pm

21. MommaK says:

That is too funny! My 7 year old is still like that. I feel like Sally from When Harry Met Sally when I order for her.

August 22nd, 2006 at 6:23 pm

22. Fstop Steve says:

Did you watch “Five Easy Pieces” very much when you were pregnant with Sean?

August 24th, 2006 at 5:46 pm