• The Problem Solver

September 15, 2006

Learning to share is contrary to human nature and like all toddlers Sean has to learn how to do this. And it is taking some work. For both of us.

So when I was at the grocery store today, I picked up the Blue’s Clues book One for Me, One for You hoping that the idea of sharing would be more appealing to him if presented by a blue dog rather than by his perpetually squawking mother.

The book gets to the point quickly. On page two, Joe pitches the concept to Blue:

“Look! Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper have a cookie for me and Blue! How thoughtful! Hmmm. There are two of us and only one cookie. What do you think we should do?”

Sean all but rolls his eyes and asks, “Bake more cookies?”

Part of me appreciates his ability to problem solve and think outside the box and another part of me fears that he will grow up to be some sort of Einstein hoarding cookies in his underground laboratory.

Edited to add: Would it be too much to ask the editor’s of our children’s books to use proper English? I believe it should be ‘a cookie for Blue and me’ (not ‘me and Blue’).

1. Blog_Antagonist says:

ROFL! That sounds like something my son would say. That’s a smart ‘lil fella you got there.

September 15th, 2006 at 1:42 pm

2. Beck says:

Hee hee. Sharing is a skill that takes a while to learn, but take heart – yesterday, my little guy (who is 4) was given his very favorite chocolate bar by his grandfather, and without being told to saved half for his big sister. Aw.

September 15th, 2006 at 2:16 pm

3. Susan says:

That is what my mom always called too smart for his own good! 😉

September 15th, 2006 at 2:47 pm

4. mamaspeak says:

Here’s to hoping they use their powers for good instead of evil, right?

TS would’ve said something similar.

September 15th, 2006 at 2:52 pm

5. Faith says:

Okay, that really was a clever answer though!

September 15th, 2006 at 3:12 pm

6. mikaelah says:

great response and sharing is not all that it is cracked up to be. my own mother had her private stash of goodies.

September 15th, 2006 at 3:30 pm

7. Sarah says:

Einstein hording cookies… too funny! I love when kids pop up with answer to questions that are ‘right’ but not what we are looking for. What can we do except umm and ahh say “good idea” while we try not to laugh out loud and regroup to get our point accross another way.

September 15th, 2006 at 3:53 pm

8. Blessed Beyond Measure says:

My MIL absolutely could not stand that our kids watched Sesame Street, because Cookie Monster used such horrible grammer. She was convinced it would ruin them. Two of the three are English majors, teachers at that.

September 15th, 2006 at 3:53 pm

9. Lena says:

Ha! Great minds think alike. I too was picking up on the proper grammar thang. 😉

September 15th, 2006 at 4:24 pm

10. Susan says:

You’re absolutely right, of course, about the “Blue and me” thing.

I’m just relieved to know that there are a few people left in this world who don’t automatically assume that it should be “Blue and I.” 😉 (One of my huge pet peeves! And one of the reasons I like you so well — your GRAMMAR!)

September 15th, 2006 at 4:31 pm

11. molly says:

He’s a creative problem solver. Good for him!

September 15th, 2006 at 6:36 pm

12. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

I’m just glad to hear I’m not the only one who occasionally waxes philosophical about a certain blue dog.

September 15th, 2006 at 6:54 pm

13. bubandpie says:

Hmmm. How come “Blue and me” but not the other way around? Two objects of the preposition “for” linked by a coordinating conjunction – seems to me they should be interchangeable.

Of course “me and …” always sounds suspiciously juvenile, as if the next sentence will be “Me and Blue are going to eat all those cookies right up!”

September 15th, 2006 at 10:00 pm

14. Teacher Lady says:

At the risk of sounding even more obnoxious, why is it not Blue and I? As much as I like to consider myself the mad grammarian, that’s one rule I always forget – when is it “and I” and when is it “and me”?

And also? I think Mr. Sean will be a HUGE success in the business world someday. It’s all about thinking on your feet!

September 15th, 2006 at 10:53 pm

15. Kristin says:

Eva started preschool this week and, on our way to her first day, I was talking it up… about the coloring and the singing and the kids… and then I said, “but, you’re going to have to share”, and she actually GROANED!!

Of course, we all know, sharing does kind of suck.

September 15th, 2006 at 11:24 pm

16. Jules @ Everyday Mommy says:

Through a scratch test at my doctors office I was diagnosed with a severe Blue allergy.

September 15th, 2006 at 11:29 pm

17. Christina says:

Sean is one smart kid. I like his idea best, bake more cookies!

September 16th, 2006 at 2:34 am

18. michelle says:

Love your blog!!!

September 16th, 2006 at 8:02 am

19. joanggol@yahoo.com says:

You say what is correct when the “and Blue” part is left off such as “cookie for me” not “cookie for I”. That is how I can remember it.

September 16th, 2006 at 8:23 am

20. kim says:

Maybe it’s a food thing. My husband will not share food, but he will be happy to get you your own, so he would definitely agree with Sean.

September 16th, 2006 at 8:39 am

21. kacey says:

For the Teacher Lady—
      Nominative pronouns= I, we, you, he, she it, they
      Objective pronouns = Me, us, you, him, her, it, them
      Object of a preposition = use objective pronouns
      The worst is when trying to decide between whoever and whomever, especially newscasters — who apparently never took any grammar classes in school.

I think Sean is the smartest little preschool guy in the world! He has fallen from a very smart tree.

September 16th, 2006 at 9:29 am

22. Leslie says:

Ugh, sharing! My 2-year old is learning it, too.

Cute story.

September 16th, 2006 at 11:36 am

23. Wendy Boucher says:

What? Sharing is good? We’re supposed to teach sharing? I must not have read that part of the instruction manual that came with Girlie.

September 16th, 2006 at 2:43 pm

24. Jen says:

Well, I’d forgive sweet little Sean, cause I don’t like to share my cookies either! He’s a thinker, that one!

September 16th, 2006 at 4:20 pm

25. Anita says:

How ironic that the book is about sharing and the grammer promotes selfishness, putting “me” first. 🙂

September 16th, 2006 at 7:38 pm

26. edj says:

Just wait. Soon, you will just be sitting down with a long-awaited, much-deserved, too-expensive-to-waste-on-children, just-for-you treat and Sean will come up and announce, “God likes it when we share!” And he will guilt-manipulate you into giving him some, and you will resent it. Good luck! (You can’t escape–I speak with the voice of experience on this one)

September 17th, 2006 at 9:15 am

27. Judy says:

I’m another antique mommy…kids born when I was 40 and 42. When my daughter was in the first grade, she came home with a big booklet the teacher had made up, wherein each child was to complete the following ungrammatical statement:

“If I was president, I would…”

AAARGH!! The teacher! Presumably a college graduate.

September 20th, 2006 at 2:03 pm