• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • No Scott Hamilton

October 18, 2006

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

I took Sean ice-skating for the first time on Monday.

Some of you know that I was a figure skater growing up, so I was looking forward to taking Sean this first time. He has a lot of natural balance and did well, as well as anyone can do on rental skates. He really seemed to like it and I began to entertain visions of the two of us going off ice skating together, perfecting our double Lutz together, as all mothers and sons do.

When we left the ice, I asked him if he enjoyed it and he said “Yeah…. But I don’t ever want to do that again.”

Just as well. I would probably rather there be no sequins in his future.

1. Jen says:

Sometimes……….they are just right…..too cute…and loved the picture.

October 18th, 2006 at 8:02 am

2. Blog_Antagonist says:

I didn’t know you were a figure skater. How cool. Can you believe, growing up in Wisconsin, we never went ice skating? Never skied either. I imagine because my parents couldn’t afford it.

Sean’s comment made me laugh. Diminutive One said a similar thing after trying rollerblades.

October 18th, 2006 at 8:51 am

3. Laurel Wreath says:

Oh but sequins are good for sticking up the nasal passaways. I know from being a preschool teacher. =)) Cute picture.

October 18th, 2006 at 8:51 am

Now that is just like a kid. Says just the right thing to ruin our mini-dreams!

I think you’re right about the sequins though. It may take away from his “macho” image in the future.

But that picture is a keeper.

October 18th, 2006 at 9:10 am

5. qtpies7 says:

Oh, that is a sweet picture! There are times I want my girls to want what I did or wanted growing up, but they tend to do their own things. Not sure I’ll get a cheer leader or a dancer out of my three girls! (partly because I can’t afford it, and partly because they like different things)

Your sweetie is very young yet, he’ll give skating another try later, and maybe take up hockey! Start saving up now, though, hockey costs TONS more than anything else I’ve seen!

God bless,
      qtpies7

October 18th, 2006 at 10:12 am

6. Leslie says:

What fun! Great picture. My little one has the same Elmo shirt!

October 18th, 2006 at 10:49 am

7. Susan J. says:

Um . . . yeah. No sequins. Great picture of you both.

October 18th, 2006 at 11:02 am

8. melissa says:

i just took my girls ice skating this weekend too. they loved it. i never have. but i enjoyed reading your other post about how your mother helped make your dream come true.

you really made me think with that one today. often my younger daughter asks to do many things like gymnastics and no ice skating and i say no because i know we can’t afford the lessons. and because i’m not sure it’s something she won’t say, “i’m not going back” after the second lesson.

it’s so neat that you had that instant talent for skating. i’m sure i’ll be turning your story over in my mind for a few days.

October 18th, 2006 at 11:10 am

9. Marian says:

Oh, what a sweet picture! You’ll always have that and your memories of your one and only time skating together, if not a case full of Olympic medals. The way you are leaning over and supporting him in the picture made my back hurt! It brought back memories of the first time my youngest 2 went skating with my husband and I. With one too young anyway and the other developmentally challenged, by the time we reached the far side of the loooooong rink, we seriously wondered if we’d ever make it back around to complete the lap and get home again! Anyway, thanks for sharing.

October 18th, 2006 at 1:48 pm

10. Mrs X says:

But at least you tried!
      I always wanted to go ice skating but never worked up the courage. My mom would talk about how much fun it was but refused to take us.

October 18th, 2006 at 2:13 pm

11. PeanutButtersMum says:

I LOVE the honesty of a preschooler, don’t you? “Yeah, but I never want to do it again.” Sounds just like my son! Recently, when we had some friends over, my son told his “friend” frankly, “It’s time for you to go home.” HAHAHAHA

I’m enjoying your blog! I found you by linking thru a few others! I hope you don’t mind my comments. ;-)

October 18th, 2006 at 2:53 pm

12. janet says:

You look great for an antique mommy.

October 18th, 2006 at 8:03 pm

13. kacey says:

I’m sitting about ten miles up the road from Bowling Green, Ohio, where Scott Hamilton lived and skated until he got Olympically serious about skating. Never believe an almost three year old when he says he won’t do that again. I mean — lots of little guys say that about bathing. I still rollerblade in Florida, but my big thing in school was walking a slack wire. Luckily, all I needed to do it was a pair of ballet shoes and a really great sense of balance — the school provided the wire, braces and turnbuckle.
      Are you sure that you didn’t buy Hans Brinker’s silver skates? Keep skating now — it will keep you young physically.

October 18th, 2006 at 8:46 pm

14. Perri says:

Great picture. You look so young – and I’m not sucking up. I mean it.

October 18th, 2006 at 9:47 pm

15. Christina says:

How funny. I skate too. In fact after being off the ice for many years I have gone back to lessons. Of course that is how I recently broke my wrist…new skates, skating backwards, too fast, etc. We all know how this ended.

October 19th, 2006 at 3:47 am

16. J says:

What an adorable picture! There are so many things I did as a child that I want my girls to do, too… we’ll see how THAT goes!

October 19th, 2006 at 8:10 am

17. Minnie says:

There is more about us in common that I was aware of! I used to be a figure skating coach!!!!! AND? I’m taking Kale skating tomorrow, too. Very scary. I think we may be from some sort of parallel universe or something. :o)

**And if you can get Sean to nail a double lutz, I’ll clean your house for an entire year. ;o)

October 22nd, 2006 at 11:40 pm

18. Stacey says:

What a great picture of the two of you! That’s cute that he liked it but never wanted to go back. He sounds like such a sweet little guy!

October 23rd, 2006 at 12:03 pm