• Blackened Tuna

November 26, 2006

While many of you were up at the bobo crack of dawn on Black Friday scoring iPods for $3.99 and flat screen TVs for $30, I was warm and cozy in my bed.  I was in Tuna and in Tuna the stores do not open before 10am for any reason. Whatsoever.

On the other hand…

When I got to the shopping district in downtown Tuna, I pretty much had the place to myself. And the merchandise, well, let’s just call it one-of-a-kind and leave it at that.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Who doesn’t want a Ronald McDonald head to accessorize that forgotten corner of the house?  I would suggest adding a cigarette to the the little screw coming out of his mouth for a bit of whimsey.

I did meet a nice family of mannequins (whom I may introduce another time, they were really quite lovely and eager to pose for pictures) and I scored a big bag of vintage linens and aprons for just a few dollars. No, I don’t collect vintage linens and aprons.  I have no idea why I bought them.  The mannequins talked me into it.

1. stacey says:

oooh, i am jealous! i still have not made my vintage hankerchef/jean jacket from the time i scored a great deal on vintage linens!

November 26th, 2007 at 9:38 am

2. Paula says:

That Ronald McDonald head is bringing back all my childhood clown terrors, the ones I repressed in the far reaches of my subconscious. Consider me haunted.

November 26th, 2007 at 10:19 am

3. wordgirl says:

…and whatever you do, don’t ignore the command of the mannequins. They be harsh taskmasters when ignored. Or mocked.

November 26th, 2007 at 10:21 am

4. Lala says:

OK… I’m totally freaked out now… RM always gives me the WILLIES (that is why we are a BK family… although have you seen that KING in the commercials? We may be switching to WENDY’S soon… LOL)… Isn’t that what they had on top of the helium tanks to blow up balloons? Interesting the neat things that can be found these days… SCORE on the vintage linens though! :o)

November 26th, 2007 at 10:40 am

5. Jeana says:

I WANT THE RONALD MCDONALD HEAD. I’ve been meaning to start a collection of metal body parts and that would give me a head start.

I really am jealous of the vintage pieces and aprons.

November 26th, 2007 at 10:53 am

This is the first year that I didn’t get up at the butt-crack of pre-dawn. I awoke at 7 AM, hopped out of bed and hit the almost empty Wally World. And they were handing out donuts to boot… Ahhh, life is good.

Well, except for the fact that I purchased too-big jeans for my girl and I already wrapped them… Do you think she’ll gain 20 pounds and grow 3 inches by Christmas?

November 26th, 2007 at 11:01 am

7. Susan J. says:

How much for the RM head? I know just the person to give it to. The principal of the boys school is freaked out by clowns and we like to tease him at any opportunity.

BTW, we are coming to see Santa tomorrow. In Dallas. Yes, we are taking the boys out of school to go to see the Norhtpark Santa. It will be Jonathan’s 10th visit.

November 26th, 2007 at 11:23 am

8. TaunaLen says:

I love, love, love this! My daughter is terrified of clowns—a phobia my family delights in exposing, and I have a strange attraction to mannequins. I’m not sure what that is, but I would love to chat with a family of them, and see what stories they could share. It never ceases to amaze me, dear lady, this gift of yours. You can write about anything and make me think, smile, laugh and wonder. Thank you.

~TaunaLen

November 26th, 2007 at 11:23 am

9. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Wrong. That’s just … wrong.

November 26th, 2007 at 11:26 am

10. Sue says:

I’m with Paula. RM is creepy, creepy, creepy! Eeeeeeeeeeek.

November 26th, 2007 at 11:38 am

11. jen says:

He is scary looking….

November 26th, 2007 at 12:16 pm

12. Tammy Marcelain says:

As we stay at the Ronald McDonald house alot when my son is in the hospital or has hospital tests to do, I find old Ronnie’s face as a kind gent always ready to help.

November 26th, 2007 at 12:27 pm

13. chilihead says:

I’m pretty sure you scored the linens for me. Thanks.

And the Ronald head? You totally should have bought that for the kid’s room. Nothing says Your in Deep Trouble like having to spend the night with a clown face. There’s a Jack Handey memory in there somewhere, I’m sure of it.

November 26th, 2007 at 12:38 pm

14. Becky says:

I know that head! My brother had a birthday party at McDonalds back in the mid-70s. That head would attach to a helium tank and the gas would come out that valve in Ronald’s mouth to inflate balloons. Wow. What a memory that head just triggered.

November 26th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

15. Candy says:

Isn’t that screw for blowing up helium balloons? Wow, I hear Barbra Steisand singing memories in the background.

November 26th, 2007 at 3:38 pm

16. Beck says:

I have a drawer full of vintage aprons that should tell you all you need to know about my ability to withstand their dusty charms.

November 26th, 2007 at 6:23 pm

17. mama speak says:

chilihead is cracking up…at work…they aren’t impressed. they think i’m a lunatic. they are right, but they don’t know about Tuna, so they lose.

tell you where to go on Black Friday; the grocery store! or Costco! dude, totally empty on those days! so awesome.

On the other hand, what does it say about you that you’ll get up to go shopping at 4 AM!!!! Just wrong.

November 26th, 2007 at 7:01 pm

18. SG says:

I did it. For the first time in five years. I got up and braved Target. But I didn’t plan on it realy. The 16 month old woke me up around 4:45 and I could not go back to sleep aftergetting her back to sleep..so I got up put on sweats grabbed the Target ad and went…thinking they opened at 5 and I would have missed the lines. I was wrong. They opened at 6. WHAT A LINE! But I was in by 6:15 and out by 7:30. I didn ot have to worry abou tthe kids, or a time line to be home. No one cared that I was make-up less in my sweats because they were too. It was ice. I finished all the kids on my list. And saved about $300 on stuff i was gong to buy anyway. I didn’t dare go to Toys-r-us Best Buy, or Circuit City because I know those paces are nuts. But Target, Micheal’s and Linens-n-Things were fine! So call me crazy but I had fun! 🙂

November 26th, 2007 at 7:20 pm

19. Sabrena says:

I knew exactly what it was the moment I saw it…

hey memories is playing in the background here too…weird, huh??? LOL

I showed my dh and he was wondering what it was…poor guy…he’s four years older than me.

November 26th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Ronald McDonald hadn’t been invented when I was a kid. Neither had balloons or helium. Dirt however had recently been discovered.

November 27th, 2007 at 12:21 am

21. nan says:

“Vintage” ! That word makes me think of moldy old stuff.
      “antique” is okay, it is nice and smells like cedar or lavender, but “vintage”? Is it just me?

November 27th, 2007 at 6:15 pm

22. Karla ~ Looking Towards Heaven says:

AAAHHHH MY EYES!!!

that is just down right freaky looking.

I’m too weirded out by it to be offended at being considered vintage.

Blessings,