• Complementary Psychosis

November 30, 2006

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

The major difference between Antique Daddy and me is that he will patiently spend six hours fixing a 98 cent strand of Christmas lights whereas I would wad them up, hurl them across the room, stomp on them and then head to Wal-Mart for more.

Complementary psychosis. That’s what makes this marriage work.

1. MotherPie says:

And me? I might think hmmmmm. Maybe just a lit candle would work.

Just kidding. There’s something magical about all that stuff when little ones are part of it all.

November 30th, 2006 at 3:28 pm

2. Susan says:

“They” say you can tell a lot about a man by the way he handles tangled Christmas lights. My husband’s exactly the same way. His amount of patience – for everything – baffles me.

Thank goodness “they” don’t say you can tell a lot about a WOMAN by the way she handles tangled Christmas lights. (Because I’m just like you.) I guess we’re allowed to have temper tantrums over things like that, and no one can say a word. 😉

November 30th, 2006 at 4:17 pm

3. Robbin says:

You know, it’s people like you and me that keep Walmart in business.

November 30th, 2006 at 5:39 pm

4. Sarah's in the midst of it says:

We’re in trouble, then. We’d both do the wadding, stomping, Wal-Mart thing. 🙂

November 30th, 2006 at 7:44 pm

5. Birdiemom says:

A couple of my kids are big enough now to have inherited the annual tradition of untangling, fixing and stomping on the lights. I’m feeling fine about that!

November 30th, 2006 at 7:50 pm

6. Kim says:

For heaven’s sake, try a PRELIT tree! They are heavenly!

November 30th, 2006 at 9:02 pm

7. Deanna says:

OOOOHHHH how vividly I remember the excitement of putting up the Christmas tree and begging mom to let me throw…errrr carefully place that tinsel trash on the tree only to have all the excitement interupted by my dad snorting and flipping out about the lights being tangled…I never understood why he didn’t anticipate it after all he’s the one who just tossed them into the box the year before – BIG SURPRISE!

It drove me to be an obsessive compulsive control freak when it comes to the Christmas lights – however IF my system should ever fail I will without hesitation toss those bloomin’ things and go get more….so I’m with ya on that!

December 1st, 2006 at 2:28 am

8. Becky says:

I would do just the same as you. I hope you don’t mind, but I tagged you for a meme! Have a great day!

December 1st, 2006 at 7:01 am

9. veronica says:

If Az touches the Christmas lights, we all leave the room. The kids don’t need to hear that kind of language.

Az shows a similar doggedness about tracking down information, though. I can occupy him for days by asking obscure questions. A couple months ago I said, “Honey, what did English speakers call the color orange before the fruit was discovered?” It was like firing a starting pistol.

He cannot argue with me when his mind is occupied with such things. It’s great for a marriage.

December 1st, 2006 at 10:24 am

10. Jenn says:

Funny. BTW when are you going to organize a bus trip to Tuna. I want to go so badly!

December 1st, 2006 at 11:18 am

11. Laurel Wreath says:

Oh amen amen and AMEN!!!!!!!

December 1st, 2006 at 11:19 am

12. Big Mama says:

It’s really never Christmas here until I use a little profanity regarding the Christmas tree.

December 1st, 2006 at 11:20 am

13. melissa says:

i’m smiling over here. we’ve already had our christmas tree experience this year. love to relive the joy with others.

December 1st, 2006 at 11:56 am

14. Elise says:

The difference between hubby and me is that I would have put them away in a mess and he would NEVER DARE. So there is never any untangling to do in this household.
      For heavens sake, it sure would spice things up a bit. Untangling, I mean. Doesn’t even have to be lights.

December 1st, 2006 at 12:12 pm

15. chilihead says:

And I’d make wassail or buttered rum and not put the damn tree up.

December 1st, 2006 at 2:58 pm

16. jen says:

Yes….Scott is the same way…that is why we bought a pre lit tree last year at Dillards…..so worth not go going to therapy

December 1st, 2006 at 3:33 pm

17. abogada says:

Ah. In addition to our antique mommy-ness, we have this in common as well. We bought a prelit tree this year.

December 1st, 2006 at 7:04 pm

18. Michelle-This One's for the Girls says:

Three years ago, I decided that our marriage could no longer handle the stress of my husband’s annual “tree lighting.”

Pre-lit trees are going to bankrupt marriage counselors everywhere.

December 2nd, 2006 at 10:09 am

19. maggie says:

LOL! Except I think my husband and I are the opposite. I never buy what seems fixable! I think it’s complementary psychosis, BTW.

December 2nd, 2006 at 10:40 am