• The Kiss

December 4, 2006

Nothing will cure what ails you faster than an unsolicited kiss from a 3-year-old.

Earlier in the week as I was standing at the kitchen sink, Sean comes in to the kitchen and yanks on my shirt. “Mommy, I want to kiss you,” he says looking up at me.

“Terrific!” I say, drying my hands on a dish towel. Having played several lightening rounds of “Who’s The Boss” earlier in the day, I am delighted to be the object of his affection, yet suspicious. I bend over, close my eyes and brace myself. I am expecting one of those big sloppy snotty kisses where he uses my face for a Kleenex. Instead, he takes my face in his hands and as gentle as a butterfly, he kisses the tip of my nose.

“There!” he announces, “Howdya’ like that?”

I open my eyes. We are still nose to nose. “I liked it very much!” I say.

And then he plants two more on my nose.

“Here’s two more for later in case you need them.”

I use the dish towel in my hands to mop up my heart off the floor.

1. mama speak says:

TS does this now too. Makes me melt.

December 4th, 2006 at 3:13 pm

2. Becky says:

Oh, that is the sweetest little boy! I might just need to mop up my heart after reading that one!

December 4th, 2006 at 3:16 pm

3. mom8k says:

that makes me miss my toddlers–teens just don’t do that!!

December 4th, 2006 at 3:27 pm

4. nikki says:

OMG thats so sweet. it made me cry iv seen my son only a few times and he does that and it breaks my heart but thats so sweet ur very lucky

December 4th, 2006 at 3:38 pm

5. Susan says:

There is nothing better in life.

December 4th, 2006 at 3:40 pm

6. jen says:

So sweet…..Miller washes our face in his kisses…and you know what…I never wipe them off..one day he wont want to kiss me.

December 4th, 2006 at 4:00 pm

Well Jen, if Miller is as fickle as Sean, it may even be one day this week!

December 4th, 2006 at 4:16 pm

8. Jules @ Everyday Mommy says:

Oooooooooooh! You got it bad!

Shhhhhhh…so do I.

December 4th, 2006 at 6:03 pm

9. Lisa says:

I love popping in over at this blog to remind myself how adorable and innocent kids are when they’re little. Your posts always bring back the sweetest memories of my own kids way back when. I’d like to thank you for that.

December 4th, 2006 at 6:26 pm

10. jen says:

December 4th, 2006 at 6:46 pm

11. Carola says:

oh.my.god that is sooo sweet! you will always treasure this moment.

December 4th, 2006 at 6:51 pm

12. Big Mama says:

I am sitting in a hotel room missing my girl and then I read this post and want to cry at the sweetness. It’s like every now and then it’s their way of telling us they’re sorry for all the “rounds of Who’s the Boss”.

December 4th, 2006 at 7:43 pm

13. Goslyn says:

Oh how sweet. I can’t wait until Tom learns to do that. We’re still busy playing “Who’s the Boss?”

December 4th, 2006 at 7:47 pm

14. Laurel Wreath says:

Well that is something to keep a Mom floating many days to come!!!

December 4th, 2006 at 7:54 pm

15. Linda says:

Nothing brilliant to say, except these are the moments we store up in our hearts.

December 4th, 2006 at 8:18 pm

16. Blog Antagonist says:

Sigh. I miss having a Sean in my life. I still get hugs and kisses, but not like that. I get a peck on the cheek and a “Love you Mom!” as they run out the door. Treasure those nose kisses.

December 4th, 2006 at 9:31 pm

17. Kara says:

That is just the sweetest thing ever!!! Now I need to go hug my boys 🙂

December 4th, 2006 at 9:57 pm

18. PeanutButtersMum says:

aw, i love it! we all need to gobble up this affection while they’re still giving it freely! mothing like a little smoochy and a hug to “make it all better” after a rough day!

December 4th, 2006 at 9:59 pm

19. Kacey says:

I swear I love that child —-sight unseen! You might not get nose kisses later on, but my boy has been sneaking over to my blog and sticking in an occasional comment under the name “Your only boy”. He is forty-seven and I consider these short little comments the equivalent of a nose kiss. Once you are a mother — the love never quits, but in this — you are spectacularly
      blessed.

December 4th, 2006 at 10:00 pm

20. Susan J. says:

Boys are just special. I swear this to be true.

December 4th, 2006 at 11:01 pm

21. Jenn says:

The best part…I think boys keep their sweetness. I have found 7 year old boys to be precious and now my fourth grade boys are mushes when it comes to their moms and grandmoms.

December 4th, 2006 at 11:18 pm

22. Deanna says:

OH MY GOSH! those little boys sure know how to grab our hearts don’t they?
      There’s something about that mother/son bond that is unlike anything else!

December 4th, 2006 at 11:22 pm

23. Janean says:

Too Cool! My four year old has a “Hug and kiss and nosy kiss” ritual (rubbing noses – Eskimo kisses). Whenever it starts to get old, I just remind myself that in about then years, she won’t want to even acknowledge I’m her mother. I pray every day that my kids and I will be as close when they are teenagers as we are now.
      SWEET STORY! I love it.

December 4th, 2006 at 11:32 pm

24. Pastormac's Ann says:

Awww, what a sweet sweet boy who loves his momma. What a sweet memory to cherish. Thanks for sharing it.

December 4th, 2006 at 11:35 pm

25. Aunt Murry says:

Awwwwwwwww

You make me say that more than anyone I know.

December 5th, 2006 at 7:11 am

26. Damselfly says:

What a cute web we weave when we first learn to kiss our mommies!

December 5th, 2006 at 8:14 am

27. Alex says:

Ya, Just killed me here in my cubicle! HOW SWEET!

December 5th, 2006 at 8:21 am

28. Beck says:

Little boys and their kisses are the sweetest. I wish I could save ’em up for when he’s older…

December 5th, 2006 at 8:26 am

These are the moments that make all the “Who’s the Boss?” moments seem like incidental. What a wonderful treasure you have in that sweet, sweet boy.

December 5th, 2006 at 10:20 am

30. Marti says:

Magically delicious…

December 5th, 2006 at 3:09 pm

31. linda says:

If you think it was sweet now, wait until he’s 17 and does something sweet like that. Esp. after he has gone through a period when he hasn’t seemed too sweet on you at all. It will tear your heart out. You think you cannot love them more when they are little, but you can; you can.

December 5th, 2006 at 7:11 pm

32. Robbin says:

How sweet! My son has just started “puckering up” for his kisses. It is so cute I just want to grab and hug him every time. He has also started “kissing” all of his Little People. He picks them up one at a time and kisses them each carefully. Man, I love it when they discover affection and empathy!

December 6th, 2006 at 10:11 am