• Tackiest Ornament Ever

December 13, 2006

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Nothing quite expresses the reason for the season better than a bloated drunken toad in a champagne glass wearing a Santa hat. Except maybe the glitter covered pickle. It was a toss up. Yours for $5.99 at Target.

1. LaShawn says:

The pickle has a tradition behind it actually. I am loving the frog though!

December 13th, 2006 at 1:44 pm

2. maggie says:

Yes, the pickle is a traditional German ornament – of course, I can’t remember what it’s supposed to mean.

But what I do want to know is: did you actually purchase that frog so you could show it to all of us?

December 13th, 2006 at 1:47 pm

3. maggie says:

I take it back – no one knows where the pickle ornament came from:

December 13th, 2006 at 1:50 pm

I did not know that about the pickle. Those wacky Germans.

Good heavens no I did not purchase that frog. I took a picture of “him” in Target while I chatted up a very nice electric cart lady who agree that he was indeed tacky. Bless his heart, the frog, I mean. It must have been quite a night of revelry as all of his arms and legs were broken off. (Or “broke off” as some around here say.)

December 13th, 2006 at 1:51 pm

5. Hillarie says:

Um… what happen to the frog’s arms? Are they even called arms?

December 13th, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Too late Maggie! I already attributed it to the Germans! I am of German lineage and we are the kind of people who would put condiments on a tree, so it makes sense to me!

December 13th, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Hillaire, one way you know you’ve had too much fun is when you come home from a night of drinking and you don’t know where you left your arms and legs.

December 13th, 2006 at 1:57 pm

I think I’m having too much fun in my own comments. I should probably go do something productive.

December 13th, 2006 at 1:59 pm

9. truevyne says:

Drunken frogs are the reason for the season, right?

December 13th, 2006 at 2:06 pm

10. fin says:

soooo cute

December 13th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

11. Big Mama says:

That frog looks like he could use a bloody mary to help him recover.

And yes, the pickle is a German tradition that involves hiding the pickle. I won’t embarrass myself by telling you my husband’s remarks regarding hiding the pickle.

December 13th, 2006 at 2:19 pm

12. chilihead says:

LOL Big Mama. It’s true. You hide the pickle and whoever finds it gets a prize. Let’s just leave it at that, shall we? Maybe if the frog finds the pickle he’ll get his arms back.

That’s too funny, AM.

December 13th, 2006 at 2:43 pm

13. Karla says:

I think he’s cute. And be honest, after the Christmas season is over, that’s exactly how we moms feel!

December 13th, 2006 at 2:46 pm

14. Lisa says:

Okay, I admit. I’m Italian, yet I have the glittered pickle hidden in my tree. No prize to anyone who finds it. I don’t even announce that it should be found. I just thought that it was so hysterically funny 5 years ago when I first saw it, that I had to buy it…and of course, hide it. Tradition, you know.

As for the Loaded Toad…how come the Tar-jhays in NY don’t carry those?? After all, we are the Martini-drinking toad capital of the world.

December 13th, 2006 at 6:47 pm

15. boomama says:

He’s toadally wasted.

Sorry.

I couldn’t help myself.

December 13th, 2006 at 7:32 pm

16. Becky says:

Ha! That is the ugliest cutest ornament ever!

December 13th, 2006 at 8:15 pm

17. jen says:

I’ll never look at a martini glass the same again.

December 13th, 2006 at 8:18 pm

18. lovely says:

Ah that is funny and
      hide the pickle you say that’s just wierd although I vagly remember the glittery pickle hanging from my aunt’s tree when I was growing up

December 13th, 2006 at 8:32 pm

19. cathy says:

you hide that pickle in the tree for luck, it a german thing. i have one, but mine is not all glittery. as for that poor toad, god bless him, he’s the lonely, armless froggy nobody wants. he’ll be singing the blues before long!

December 13th, 2006 at 9:04 pm

20. Lynn says:

Hilarious! I totally agree with the narrow Walmart Christmas aisles. What is up with that? However, I am more interested to know if you ever figured out what a peemo boat was?

December 14th, 2006 at 12:42 am

21. caroliebee says:

Every year, Mom tucks the pickle away on a hidden branch of the tree (there, managed to phrase it without saying “Mom hides the pickle!”) and whoever finds the pickle first gets a special wrapped gift that is waiting under the tree for the finder of the pickle. My various nieces LOOOOVE looking for the pickle. (No touching of the tree allowed!)

December 14th, 2006 at 7:15 am

22. Susan J. says:

That frog ornament is hilarious! ALMOST funny enough to buy it just to show others. ALMOST. Gotta wonder who thought of that idea, and who bought the rest of them?

December 14th, 2006 at 8:43 am

23. Elise says:

He looks like my Uncle Lupe. Sans moustache.

December 14th, 2006 at 3:54 pm

24. Stacey says:

Wow, that’s something special!

December 14th, 2006 at 5:28 pm

25. Allyson says:

I really wish we had a Target here, because that thing would *so* win me the tackiest ornament contest we’re having at our work Christmas party tomorrow night!

December 16th, 2006 at 10:26 pm

26. Raeleen says:

Does anybody know where to find this ornament???? My husband bought it for me last year for our annual Christmas ornament exchange and it broke:( I am looking to replace it.

Thanks