• Texas Tough

January 16, 2007

Texans are tough when it comes to the heat.

103 degrees for ten days in a row? We laugh at that. Ha! And then we order chips and salsa to eat outside on the patio. But get a little ice, a little wintry mix? We cower in our house and eat cookies. And our trees faint dead away.

And that is just what happened to what Sean calls his favorite tree.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

He asked me when I’m going to put it back.

I had to tell him that only God can make a tree.

But I can make cookies! And when the going gets tough, or cold as the case may be, the tough bake cookies.

1. Crazy Working Mom says:

Oh no! That’s horrible news. : (

Poor Guy…you’ll have to get him a jungle gym.

January 16th, 2007 at 10:13 am

2. Chelle & Chel says:

Awe. Poor tree. And poor Sean. Favorite trees are sometimes as hard to lose as favorite pets.

– Chel

January 16th, 2007 at 10:29 am

3. Kara says:

Sorry his tree fell down 🙁

January 16th, 2007 at 10:47 am

4. KD says:

I hated to read about this. I remember when we lived in Nashville and got ice storms almost every winter. I had a beautiful river birch right outside our dining room window that I just loved. I literally stood at the window and prayed for that tree each time an ice storm came. Thankfully, it survived. Poor Sean though. Boys and trees need each other.

January 16th, 2007 at 10:51 am

5. veronica says:

Any tree in Texas that dies should be mourned. I am so sorry.

January 16th, 2007 at 11:10 am

6. maggie says:

Oh, poor tree. Poor Sean. Your house (that is your house, right?) is wonderful – it looks like England, not Texas!

January 16th, 2007 at 12:57 pm

7. SG says:

Oh not a tree! Until I was nine months pregnant living in Fort Worth in August in a house that had ten huge widows that faced the West sun and our treeless back yard, I didn’t appreciate how beautiful and wonderful trees are! Now i literally pray over our trees during bad waether and give thanksgiving for them inthe summer months! I once even gave a neighbor (transplanted Yankee) the cold sholder for months when he cut all the trees in his backyard down for fear they would mess up his lawn and sprinklers…come August he realized he wasn’t in New York anymore! RIP sweet tree of Shawns!

January 16th, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Bless his heart. Put in extra chocolate chips from me.

January 16th, 2007 at 1:05 pm

9. Big Mama says:

Cookies take care of just about anything.

January 16th, 2007 at 1:18 pm

With hot chocolate too. And lots of whipped cream. That may distract him from tree loss syndrome for about 5 minutes

Sorry about Sean’s tree falling down.

January 16th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

11. Beck says:

Poor tree! It’s -40 here, so believe me when I say that we are staying indoors.

January 16th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

12. Deidre says:

I’m sure the cookies worked great as a diversion – for a little while, at least.

January 16th, 2007 at 2:48 pm

13. Southern Girl says:

Sean’s a regular little monkey climbing that tree! So sorry it succumbed to the ice. 🙁 Cookies would definitely distract me from such a thing though.

January 16th, 2007 at 3:00 pm

14. jen says:

You better go plant a new tree this spring…let him pick it out….

January 16th, 2007 at 3:30 pm

15. Linda says:

There is actual white stuff on our front lawn. Where is our 60 degree weather? I admit to being an absolute whimp in this kind of weather. I don’t even want to think about sticking my nose out the door. All I can say is “Please don’t let the power to out Lord -please.”

January 16th, 2007 at 4:27 pm

16. chilihead says:

Oh, rats! That looked like a darn good tree, too.

January 16th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

17. Laura W. says:

How sad.

January 16th, 2007 at 5:21 pm

18. my 2 cents says:

Yeah, I can handle our 103 degree Texas summers better than all this freezing weather. I just can’t seem to get warm, even in my house. I am longing for those hot summer days right now. We had a tree branch that broke from all the ice… I’d say the trees are ready for warmer weather too.

January 16th, 2007 at 5:37 pm

19. cathy says:

and it wasn’t even a pine tree! that’s what cracks and breaks at the first sign of ice here!! we don’t have ice, but it is way cold here. no thoughts about braving the great outdoors in this old house!

January 16th, 2007 at 5:55 pm

20. Sarah S. says:

Yes, put that tree back THIS minute!! I would join you in your cookie mourning, but I’ve had MORE than my fair share in our iced-in confinement. So sorry for Sean’s tree, as well.

January 16th, 2007 at 8:34 pm

21. Sandy says:

Oh, I’m so sorry Sean! I lost my favorite childhood tree when a tornado came through our neighborhood in north Alabama. Rather than being thankful that all we lost was a tree, I was terribly offended that my tree was gone and no one seemed to care!

BTW, vanilla icing straight out of the container does wonders too (but you didn’t hear that from me…)

January 16th, 2007 at 10:04 pm

22. daring young mom says:

That is so sad. You’d better get on the horn with God then and demand a tree, stat.

January 16th, 2007 at 11:49 pm

23. wordgirl says:

Even I, a person who loves the first falling of snowflakes, am not looking forward to the next installment of freezing weather and snow showers. I don’t mind the cold, but I’m sick of the wind. And the ice. And the fact that my cats sleep with a space heater. Tough times…

January 17th, 2007 at 12:04 am

24. Karla~Looking Towards Heaven says:

i know that this post is about boys and trees, but the girl in me is so distracted by the loveliness of your home!

but I am sorry about the tree. 😉

blessings,
      Karla

January 17th, 2007 at 9:15 am

25. Jan says:

I agree with Karla. Is that a mansion you’re living in? Beautiful! (and I think Sean should go with you to choose a tree, too!)

January 18th, 2007 at 10:22 am

26. melzie says:

Ok I am sorry but the comment about it fainting dead away and then the visual I laughed out loud 🙂 Enjoy the cookies 😀 xoxo melzie

January 19th, 2007 at 2:00 pm