• Post Surgical Pain

February 18, 2007

By Thursday afternoon, I was 24 hours post op and doing okay. I was sitting up and eating yummy hospital broth and speaking in complete sentences in English, although some people dispute that last part. As the nurse prepared to remove the morphine pump, I picked up my cell phone to call home. I couldn’t wait to call my little boy and reassure him that I was fine and that I loved him more than anything in the entire world and that I missed him and couldn’t wait to get home to see him. Even without the aid of heavy duty narcotics, I somehow imagined him sitting by the phone, waiting for news of my well being, barely able to hold back the tears.

When my dad answered the phone, I asked him to call Sean to the phone.

“Sean, come here, your mother is on the phone,” I heard my dad call into the den.

“I can’t right now. I’m too busy playing with Wivian.”

When I put the phone down, I turned to the nurse and told her that I’d just had my heart scraped out of my chest cavity with a rusty fork and maybe she could let me have that mophine pump a little while longer. Like seven or eight more years.

1. veronica says:

Ouch.

Just seven or eight years?

February 18th, 2007 at 10:44 pm

2. Terri says:

Antique Mommy, I’m SO GLAD that you’re doing so much better….physically, anyway. It’s great to hear that wonderful sense of humor of yours! I know how hard it was for you not to hear your little guy’s voice when you needed to. But, aren’t you glad that he feels so secure and so loved by his grandparents? I never could stand to have my children cry after me. I remember leaving them many mornings at the sitters with both of us crying. I’d cry halfway to work, especially when they were old enough to say “Mommy!” But, because they were so very young and loved their sitter and the other 2 children who were there, too, they would cry when we left after I got back. They wanted to stay and play! It’s because he is so young and having fun with Wivian and Grandpa. I remember feeling crushed when my 8 yr. old daughter didn’t want to go to the hospital to see her new little brother (or Mommy) on the day he was born until AFTER some activity at school. She didn’t come with her dad and older brother but waited until much later in the evening with Mamaw and Papaw. I felt very dejected. too. They’re kids, not thinking at all like we do. I’m still praying for your recovery and hoping you’ll be back at it soon!

February 18th, 2007 at 10:58 pm

3. chilihead says:

Well, at least Wivian is family. Just think how bad you’d feel if you’d called home and he yelled, “I can’t right now, Chilihead’s teaching me how to…” and then the phone went dead.

I’m here for you and pointing out the bright side. Your welcome.

February 19th, 2007 at 12:23 am

4. boomama says:

“Rusty fork.”

BWAH-HAHAHAHAHA.

It’s nice to have friends who are so empathetic, isn’t it?

And seriously: you’ve been in my prayers. Glad to see you up and at ’em. Or at the very least sitting and typing.

Baby steps, you know. Baby steps.

Fingers crossed that they put that morphine pump in a convenient to-go bag for you when you left the hospital.

February 19th, 2007 at 12:31 am

5. Tara says:

That is just heartbreaking. 🙂

February 19th, 2007 at 1:40 am

6. joythruChrist says:

I’m glad things went well for you! And do I ever remember that yummy (not!) hospital broth. Praying for a speedy recovery…

February 19th, 2007 at 1:57 am

7. Big Mama says:

I’m thinking you’re going to need it for about the next 20, and if you could send it this way when you’re done, it would be much appreciated.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and know that they definitely didn’t remove your sense of humor.

February 19th, 2007 at 1:59 am

8. Beck says:

I’m glad the surgery went well. When I was in the hospital last March, my normally talkative oldest daughter was silent on the telephone, hurting my feelings dreadfully. We figured out from some of her later behaviour and comments that she was completely overwhelemed with not having me around and with her fear – but at the time, I just assumed she didn’t care.

February 19th, 2007 at 5:22 am

9. Goslyn says:

Oh, hugs to you AM, (gentle ones, so as not to bother your sutures.) I am glad Sean is feeling comfortable and loved with his Wivian, but oh, how much that hurts.

Maybe they can send you home with a bottle of happy pills so it won’t sting so bad the next time he applies his rusty fork to your heart.

February 19th, 2007 at 7:10 am

10. Becky says:

Oh, I can relate! Except that I never quite pictured a rusty fork near my heart! 🙂 I’m glad your surgery went well and wish you a speedy recovery. God Bless!

February 19th, 2007 at 7:47 am

11. Laurel Wreath says:

Good to hear from you girl. Praying for your quick healing, so you in return can torture Sean. I am finding out when they become teenagers, that is when the fun for Mom’s start, the 101 ways to embarrass your teen =) Ok don’t laugh I know it hurts.

February 19th, 2007 at 8:05 am

12. Jeana says:

Awwww…Good to see you back!

February 19th, 2007 at 8:21 am

Well Chilihead, at least if he were staying with you I’d be assured he could learn how to properly make a margarita.

February 19th, 2007 at 8:41 am

14. Heather L. says:

Poor AM! I’m heartbroken for you. I’m glad you’re back to blogging and glad to hear you’re doing well. I guess the silver lining is that he’s well adjusted and independent and loves his Wivian. Its always a bitter pill to swallow when you realize they don’t curl up in a ball and shiver and twitch while you’re away.Mine love to remind me of that. Your blogging friends missed you terribly, though. :o)

February 19th, 2007 at 8:43 am

15. Jill says:

I hope your recovery is doing well and I’m sure Sean was happy to see you when you got home. At least he was happy and content and not worried about you, right?! Is that enough of a silver lining?

February 19th, 2007 at 9:05 am

16. Marti says:

You’re already back and blogging! Antique Mommy, you are one strong woman and you’re raising a strong and resourceful little boy.I wish he could have given you that little voice when you needed it. Wivian just successfully and powerfully distracted him with Grandma Magic. Prayers continue…

February 19th, 2007 at 9:46 am

17. Kara says:

I’m glad you are back and healing up. I understand about your little guy not talking on the phone, mine does that too when we’re away, we call and he doesn’t want to talk, makes me sad.

February 19th, 2007 at 10:10 am

18. Stacey says:

So glad to hear you’re doing better. I don’t think you’ll need that drip for seven or eight more years though. He’ll come back around eventually 🙂

February 19th, 2007 at 10:25 am

19. whimsy says:

Keep telling yourself it’s because he’s so securely attached to you that he can enjoy being apart and soaking up Wivian.

that’s what I do anyway. My kids are VERY VERY secure in their relationship to me. 🙂

February 19th, 2007 at 10:44 am

20. guest says:

What a blessed thing to hear your son say!

My children were taken from me after false allegations (fuled by my ex-husband) were made three months ago. My ex had not seen the children (nor cared to) for almost four years.

On the rare occassions I am allowed to speak with them, their voices are full of fear, lonliness, and desparate need of reassurance that I still love them (their father has told them I don’t). They are so unsure of where they are, and who they are, and what will happen to them in the future. That fear and trepidition in their voices is truly heartbreaking…

Rejoice that your son is so secure in your love for him! Rejoice that your son was so confident that Mommy would be fine that his life has been unchanged in your temporary absence! Rejoice that he’s got no reason to wonder if he’ll see his mommy again! Rejoice for his life, his innocent and free playfulness, untouched by the concerns of the adult world. What a blessing…What a blessing…

February 19th, 2007 at 11:39 am

21. Gypsy Purple--Chamara says:

How precious …….how typical…..it`s times like these that we have to be thankful for a sense of humor

Chamara

February 19th, 2007 at 11:42 am

22. Gypsy Purple--Chamara says:

Chamara

February 19th, 2007 at 11:50 am

23. Angela says:

Hi, delurking to wish you a speedy recovery. Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with your sense of humour/wit, it is definitely intact.

Seven or eight years, hey, let’s get greedy, go for 30, then you can be the next Wivian to his children, bwahaha!!

February 19th, 2007 at 11:55 am

24. blog_antagonist says:

Seven or eight? Girlfriend, we need to talk. My twelve year old breaks my heart on a weekly basis at LEAST.

If it makes you feel better, I’ve read that the kids who are the most secure and trusting are the ones who despair least when their parents must be away, because they never question whether Mommy and Daddy are coming back.

Sean trusts you to come back, which is why he is completely unconcerned with your absence.

That’s a good thing.

Be good to yourself and rest up. When I had my gallbladder surgery (which is very minor in comparison to a hysterectomy) I tried to do too much too soon and ended up hurting myself.

Just chill. :?)

February 19th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

25. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

I completely envisoned you in the hospital, with your laptop perched ever so gently on your incision, eyeing the doctors and nurses, just waiting for new material. I’m certain they did not disappoint.

I’m glad you’re back. I’ve been praying for you.

February 19th, 2007 at 1:36 pm

26. Pam says:

Hope you continue to heal quickly! Didn’t someone somewhere say something about chocolate being a great part of healing? Wishing you lots of chocolate and blessings!

February 19th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

27. Kilikina says:

Oh no. I’m not ready for my baby (18mo) to break my heart now or ever. I better start praying now….

February 19th, 2007 at 1:49 pm

28. Jenny says:

I’m so glad you are recovering well. Just remember…YOU are the only mommy and no one can ever replace you. I bet he was just trying to keep you from feeling any undue stress or strain. What a thoughtful little guy!:)

February 19th, 2007 at 2:15 pm

29. Sally says:

Glad to know you are on the mend. It is hard to compete with grandparents………

February 19th, 2007 at 2:29 pm

30. Lori says:

First time commenter (I think), but I’ve been reading for a while now. I missed your post about your hysterectomy until just now…so glad everything went smoothly!

I am destined, I believe, to be an antique mommy myself, if I am to be a mommy at all. Your journal gives me hope and peace and makes me laugh. I’m so glad you share your life with us. Thank you.

P.S. Sean is darling.

February 19th, 2007 at 3:00 pm

31. snapshot says:

As they become teenagers, I think they might even actually pray you need a hospital visit, so you will get out of their hair for awhile. Love hurts sometimes when you are a mom.
      But it’s the sign of a very well adjusted and cared for child, when they are so secure they don’t need you every waking minute.
      Looks like Antique Mommy had done a great job!

February 19th, 2007 at 4:25 pm

32. Susan says:

Ouch! Talk about pouring salt in the wounds, eh?

((((HUGS))) and healing thoughts coming your way, AM. I’m so glad you posted. I’ve been thinking of you.

February 19th, 2007 at 5:34 pm

33. Sarah's in the Midst of It says:

I’m so glad you’re doing well enough to blog. A woman’s got to have her priorities, after all 🙂

Get well so we can meet for an haute cuisine lunch at McD’s, okay?

February 19th, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Our 2nd was only home 4 days before we had to make a run to the hospital due to severe jaundice. My mother stayed with our nearly 3 year old. I was a wreck, and so worried about how she was reacting to having her new baby brother snatched away so quickly. We made a mad dash home during nursing shift change the next day to check on her. When I walked through the door she burst into tears. Thinking she was worried about the baby I said, “Mommy can stay home for a little while.” And she quickly replied, “Go back to the hospital. I’m not through playing with MaMaw.”

Which is why we are such excellent mommies, you see–we come from good stock.

February 19th, 2007 at 7:17 pm

35. Kacey says:

I don’t know where the tape went of Sean saying that he just wanted to sit on your lap and hug you — I loved hearing your voices. That tape should be enough to tell you that Sean loves his Antique Mommy. Glad you are on the mend — we need you here! From the Grandmother’s point of view — I’m glad that Wivian gets a few perks, too.

February 19th, 2007 at 7:18 pm

36. Robbin says:

Awwwww. That always how I feel when I call from a work assignment. Harry is always too busy watching Backyardigans to come to the phone to talk to his mom suffering 400 miles away. Glad to see you are back.

February 19th, 2007 at 8:33 pm

37. Overwhelmed! says:

Just more proof that there are definitely times when we need our kids more than they need us.

Hang in there!

February 20th, 2007 at 10:33 am

38. abogada says:

Sounds like something my little one would do. Yep, she rips my heart out through my chest regularly. Now, I understand a bit what I put my mother through.

February 20th, 2007 at 12:10 pm

39. daring young mom says:

Oh, I’m glad your language skills are returning. You know he loves you more than wivian. You’re just secure and he knows you’ll always be there when he needs you.

February 21st, 2007 at 12:30 am

40. DaniGirl says:

Boys!

Glad to hear you’re doing well. The boy will come around. They always do.

February 21st, 2007 at 5:31 pm

41. Cara Fletcher says:

Sometimes the recovery after surgery is hard and painful.I remember my mother-in-law’s hysterectomy.She felt terrbily sick after the surgery.

May 20th, 2007 at 8:07 pm