• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • What You Get For 52 Years

February 20, 2007

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

It is earlier in the week. We are sitting around the breakfast table. I am not actually sitting, I’m kind of slouched over in my chair with my head on the table because I’m still feeling like last night’s piñata from my adventures in organ removal. But I’m pretending. I’m trying real hard. My parents are reading the newspaper. Sean is being Sean.

My dad looks up from the newspaper and over his eggs and toast, he says, “Hmmph!” as though he’s just discovered something. And he has. He just noticed the day’s date and that today is their 52nd wedding anniversary. In the chaos and the crazy of the past week, everyone had forgotten.

Dad scans the heartwarming Norman Rockwell scene around the table: his doped up middle-aged daughter with her face in her plate, his grandson spooning yogurt down his pajamas and his bride of 52 years obliviously working a Sudoku puzzle.

From the look on my dad’s face, I was guessing that maybe he was imagining himself as a young man standing at the altar of St. Al’s 52-years ago, full of youth and hope, kissing my pretty mom with his hands around her tiny waist. Or maybe he was thinking he just didn’t see this coming.

Nonetheless.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. We’ll celebrate next year, except without the morphine.

Photo: Wivian and Papa Ed, 1955

1. KD says:

I’m sure they are right where they want to be….with you and your family when you need them, regardless of what day it is. Hope you’re feeling better and better. I was in your shoes about 15 years ago. Take it easy. It will get better.

February 20th, 2007 at 10:01 pm

2. Sarah S. says:

Happy Anniversary, Wivian and Papa Ed, and thank you for taking care of our Antique Mommy and her Sean! Thank you for leading the way!

February 20th, 2007 at 10:08 pm

3. Big Mama says:

Fifty-two years is amazing. Happy Anniversary to Wivian and Papa Ed!

February 20th, 2007 at 10:39 pm

4. Overwhelmed! says:

I love their wedding picture! Happy 52nd wedding anniversary! That’s quite an accomplishment. My parents divorced after 38 years of marriage.

February 20th, 2007 at 11:08 pm

5. Mommy Dearest says:

I’m thinking anniversaries really don’t get any better than this!

February 21st, 2007 at 12:15 am

6. Elizabeth says:

What a beautiful wedding photo. Happy Anniversary to them and continued recovery to you, AM!

February 21st, 2007 at 6:32 am

7. dcrmom says:

Awww, sweet. Happy Anniversary to your lovely parents.

February 21st, 2007 at 7:23 am

8. Beck says:

Happy anniversary to them! 52 years is a blessing.

February 21st, 2007 at 7:55 am

9. Amy says:

THIS is just LOVELY. happy anniv. to wivian and papa ed!

February 21st, 2007 at 8:30 am

10. Karen Shanley says:

Hope you get to have both your parents for another 52 years!

February 21st, 2007 at 8:49 am

11. Jana says:

I just LOVE hearing about marriages lasting more than… oh… five months. But 52! Now THAT is definitely something worth recognition. WAY TO GO Wivian and Ed. You are an inspiration.

And Antique Mommy, I have been thinking of you and praying for you as you recover.

February 21st, 2007 at 8:58 am

12. mom8k says:

Celebrate NOW–as soon as the morphine wears off: you never know what a year will hold. My parents celebrated 51 on Oct.15, happy and seemingly healthy. Dad was diagnosed with cancer Nov. 15 and passed away Jan. 23.
      What a blessing to have them there with you. Hope you feel better soon. LOVE the dress!

February 21st, 2007 at 9:36 am

13. Judy says:

Happy Anniversary, Wivian and Papa Ed. What a blessing… and how wonderful for y’all to be there to support our girl!

February 21st, 2007 at 9:49 am

I hope that I get 52 years with Mr. Right and then some… even if it means that it does mean that I’m thinking in line with your dad – thinking that I just didn’t see this coming.

Happy Anniversary to a couple who produced one of the greatest ladies I’ve ever met. May you have many more wonderful years together.

And AM? Go back to bed, would ya? You should be pretending to sleep. Still praying for you, sis.

February 21st, 2007 at 10:02 am

15. Karla~Looking Towards Heaven says:

how wonderful! 52 years!!

Happy Anniversary Wivian and Papa Ed

Blessings,
      Karla

February 21st, 2007 at 10:02 am

16. An Iowa Mom says:

Happy Anniversary to your parents! Here is to many more wonderful years ahead!

February 21st, 2007 at 10:24 am

17. Sally says:

Happy Anniversary to your parents!! Mine will celebrate 58 years this July!!
      Hope you will be feeling better soon!!

February 21st, 2007 at 10:40 am

18. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

Hysterical. Not the pain part. But the rest. Happy Anniversary to your parents!!

February 21st, 2007 at 11:36 am

19. Susan J. says:

Happy Anniversary to the Antique Grandparents! Beautiful photo. Help them celebrate as soon as you are able. 52 years, that is wonderful.

February 21st, 2007 at 11:44 am

20. mama speak says:

AM you listen to Shalee and get yourself back into bed–there’s no nurses at home to poke you and I think you’ve mastered the required tricks (passage of gassage), you can learn to roll over and bark later when you’re feeling better– so back to bed with you lady! Wivian will take care of Sean.

Papa Ed or AD to the store for something alcoholic and bubbly–you don’t hit 52 years every day so live it up, damage! I believe a toast is in order and a little champange will take your pain meds up a notch–in a good way. ;)

May you all have at least 52 more healthy, happy ones together.

February 21st, 2007 at 1:41 pm

21. grafted branch says:

I think it sounds like a positively GLORIOUS day! What better way to truly appreciate 52 years than to be faced with what it’s really all about — caring and nurturing the ones we love, especially in a time of need.

Get well. God bless…

February 21st, 2007 at 2:39 pm

22. Sandy says:

How wonderful! (well, not the pain part… ) One of the reasons I love the play “Our Town” is that it celebrates those everyday, mundane moments of life- the things we don’t know we miss until they are gone. I would love to know what Ed was really thinking… :-).

February 21st, 2007 at 4:49 pm

I loved seeing that photo of your parents. . .hope you’re REALLY feeling better soon. :)

February 21st, 2007 at 6:09 pm

24. Lynn says:

I had such a picture in my mind as I read this! HILARIOUS. Sounds like something that could happen around this crazy house of mine! Happy Anniversary to your parents. I know they were right where they wanted to be today. With you…taking care of you and the Antique Family. Hope everyday you are feeling better. I’ve been there so I can relate. Organ removal is no fun! So, when the morphine wears off…..take them to dinner. My parents celebrate 65 this year! UNBELIEVABLE.

February 21st, 2007 at 10:49 pm

25. theresa says:

How adorable. 52 is a lot of years.

I was in your position 4 years ago and I have never, ever felt so healthy now. Hang in there and keep walking, walking really works to make everything settle into its new place quicker.

February 22nd, 2007 at 4:58 am

26. jen says:

How wonderful and how blessed they are to have you…glad to know you are doing well.

February 26th, 2007 at 1:49 pm