• The Sleep Over

March 8, 2007

Last night Antique Daddy wasn’t feeling well. In a pre-emptive move, I left him to his snotty, sneezy, germ-spreading self and Sean and I high-tailed up to the guest room for a Mom n’ Tot sleepover.

I’m not a big fan of co-sleeping because sleeping with Sean is like trying to sleep in the center of a tornado. There is just a lot of activity and not a lot of sleeping.

After we read six or seven books and said our prayers, we snuggled down into bed, face-to-face, nose-to-nose, on the same pillow. “Goodnight Sean, I love you,” I said to him which triggered his automatic response of “I wudsyew Mom.”

I just looked at him for a moment almost unable to believe that I was someone’s mom. How on earth did that happen? His crazy hair was going in all directions and his eyes were heavy with sleep. He looked like a teddy bear in his sleeper pajamas. I wanted to squeeze the puddin’ out of him but I didn’t lest I set off another round of jumping on the bed.

I watched his eyes flutter and then finally close. Stillness settled over the room. “I love being your mama,” I heard myself say.

“I wuds bein’ your boy,” he whispered back without opening his eyes.

And that somehow made up for the fact that I only got an hour and fifteen minutes of sleep.

1. boomama says:

I think my heart just fell completely out of my body.

So sweet.

March 8th, 2007 at 4:55 pm

2. Lisa says:

You’ve got to love little boys. When I put my four year old son to bed last night, he said, “I wish I could be you, because I love you so much.” If you can get them to sit still, they are really pretty sweet!

March 8th, 2007 at 4:55 pm

3. Beck says:

Little boys are the sweetest things on earth, really. I hate sleeping with mine, though, because he does his impression of a barnacle all night and I spend the night wide awake and clausterphobic.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:00 pm

4. Elizabeth says:

You must be floating through your day! How precious.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:11 pm

5. Jungle mom says:

This is so sweet. I have 1 son and 3 daughters, and it is true…something special about compliments from a little boy.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:16 pm

6. Karly says:

AW, I just turned into a big puddle of goo after reading that.

Nothing sweeter than some mama love.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:33 pm

7. becca says:

That’s it! I want a baby. DH said he dreamed I was pregnant just the other night…

Oh well, I’m off to face the confirmation code challenge.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:44 pm

8. maggie says:

Aww…how sweet he is.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

I think I shall go and hug mine right now.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:46 pm

10. Rocks in my Dryer says:

Oh, that makes my heart hurt.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:48 pm

Maggie, The part that I didn’t write about was where he was kicking my incision at 3am. That part wasn’t so sweet.

March 8th, 2007 at 5:49 pm

12. Susan says:

*melt*

March 8th, 2007 at 6:08 pm

13. nancy says:

made me cry….sniff!!

March 8th, 2007 at 6:14 pm

14. Lundie says:

Oh. My.

March 8th, 2007 at 7:16 pm

15. joythruChrist says:

I had pretty much the same reaction as everyone else… melting, tightness in the chest and throat… either that was really touching or there’s a virus afoot…

🙂

March 8th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

16. dcrmom says:

I’m with Rocks. My heart hurts. So sweet.

March 8th, 2007 at 8:07 pm

17. Amy says:

bein’ the mama is just grand, isn’t it? i love the “i wuv you” moments. i’m still waiting to get an i wuv you back though…i’m giving her another month if it doesn’t happen by then, i’m forcing the words down her throat. 🙂

March 8th, 2007 at 8:12 pm

18. Linda says:

You can sleep any old time. That moment was priceless.

March 8th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

19. Big Mama says:

Those are the moments that make eating all those chicken mcnuggets worthwhile. So sweet.

March 8th, 2007 at 9:12 pm

20. Lauren says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

March 8th, 2007 at 9:22 pm

21. Mommy Dearest says:

You do a great job of capturing those mommy moments.

March 8th, 2007 at 9:29 pm

22. Kim Hacking says:

I do believe in co-sleeping and have slept with both of my boys. It is single-handedly the best moments of my life as I have watched them fall asleep almost every night of their lives. There is something magical about sleeping children. Their angelic faces? The hint of a smile on their faces? Maybe, it’s the peace and quiet?!! Yes, that must be the magical something about sleeping children!!!

March 8th, 2007 at 9:31 pm

23. laughing mommy says:

I feel the same way about my girls. I waited so long for them, thought I never would have them, and now that I do I can hardly believe my good fortune. Sometimes I look at them and think “I can’t believe I’m lucky enough to be your mom!”

March 8th, 2007 at 11:26 pm

24. snapshot says:

Eat it up. Times like this are fleeting. Take it from the mom of a soon to be 16 year old son.

March 9th, 2007 at 12:41 am

25. Mrs X says:

It just amazes me… that uncanny ability of little boys to completely melt their mother’s hearts.
      Mine did it today when he leaned over my belly to talk to the baby on the way and told the baby how nice and pretty his mom was.

March 9th, 2007 at 1:00 am

26. Author Mom DogNut says:

That is very precious. So very glad for you that you haven’t missed out on the mothering experience. Seems like you do a really great job.

March 9th, 2007 at 5:29 am

Kim, I have no judgement against co-sleepers. It’s not a matter of being for or against, believing in or not — it’s just not for me! I think it’s great for other families. Many times both AD and I have wanted to put Sean in bed with us because he just so darn cute and snuggly, but for our family, it’s better that he sleep in his bed and we sleep in ours. I’m not that skilled of a mom to begin with and you mess with my sleep and it would not be pretty!

March 9th, 2007 at 7:24 am

I’m with you on the co-sleeping thing. I don’t mind it… occasionally, mainly because I would like to have a peaceful sleep without someone sticking their foot up my nose or rolling all over me as if I were a pie crust in the making.

But those words spoken with such unregarding love would definitely tempt me into a sleepover again and again. That’s a moment worth capturing in your heart.

March 9th, 2007 at 8:35 am

29. Sally says:

I’m with you on co-sleeping. It just isn’t for me. I NEED my sleep uninterrupted!! I’m not very nice if I don’t get enough sleep!!
      But once in a while doesn’t hurt, and to hear those words from your little boy makes it all worth a night of very little sleep!!
      You are very blessed!!

March 9th, 2007 at 8:43 am

30. Jill says:

What a sweet story. I had a similar experience the other night. The Boy woke up in the middle of the night (well, it was only 9:30 or something but since he goes to bed at 7:30, that’s practically the middle of the night for him). Hubbz and I had had an argument and I was on the verge of tears. I went in to check on The Boy and he said “Rock Mommy.” So we did. We cuddled in his big rocking chair and he put his arms around me, almost like he knew I needed hug. I started crying and he looked up at me and said “Mommy… bink” and tweaked my nose, which is something I do to him when I’m putting him in his car seat. I laughed out loud and forgot about my tears while we played a fun little game of Bink the Noses… I sang to him and he nestled in to me and all was right with the world. Because even if I couldn’t make my husband happy all of the time, I can always make The Boy happy by just being there.

March 9th, 2007 at 9:11 am

31. Kara says:

Oh, that is just so sweet! Little ones sure know how to turn your heart to mush.

March 9th, 2007 at 10:31 am

Yeah! And now my heart matches my brain!

March 9th, 2007 at 10:33 am

33. Heather says:

So SWEET!!

March 9th, 2007 at 2:29 pm

34. Jana says:

That is so, so sweet!

March 9th, 2007 at 6:27 pm

35. Stacey says:

Oh my goodness… melt my heart!!

March 9th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

36. Carola says:

I hope I have such a good relationship with my daughter as she grows up…that boy truly loves you!

March 12th, 2007 at 9:02 am