• Sticky Prayers

March 14, 2007

I remember my mother’s prayers and they have followed me always. They have clung to me all my life. ~ Abraham Lincoln

Sean’s first school year officially ended last night with a little graduation ceremony for the five year olds who will be leaving the pre-school and moving on to kindergarten. The younger kids “sang them out” just as the losers on American Idol do. Well, more accurately, all the other kids sang out the grads. Sean stood on the stage and did an impression of Lot’s wife.

As all the five year olds marched across the stage in their adorable little caps and gowns, I wept. I don’t even have a kid in the graduating class and I cried. I am pathetic. I am normally not that much of a cryer, but lately ceremonies seem to prick that tender part of my heart and remind me that time slips like water through my fingers.

As each child marched across the stage to receive their diploma, the teacher announced where they would be going to school next year and what their career plans were. One boy wanted to drive a dump truck, another wanted to study to be a ninja. One girl wanted to be a princess, another a ballerina. Perhaps Abraham Lincoln wanted to be a ninja too.

The path laid before Sean may lead him to drive a truck or drive him to lead a nation — it is not mine to know or to choose. I know God has a plan for this boy and I’m going to try my best to not get in the way, but rather to walk along side him, holding his hand for as long as he’ll let me.

After that, I’ll just have to hope that my prayers follow him and cling to him always.

This post was published in May of 2006 ~ Antique Mommy

Yes–the time flies away, and you will mourn the passing of it while simultaneously rejoicing in the new wonders. When I had my first child, my mother was watching me nurse her–just home from the hospital–and she told me something she never had before. She said, “The verses in the Bible where it says, ‘But Mary treasured all these things in her heart. . .’ have always been my favorite.” When I asked why she had never told me that before, she said, “Because you couldn’t have understood why until now.”

Blessings on you and your boy.

March 14th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

2. Paulette1958 says:

Such a precious post indeed. I love the picture, priceless. Yes young mothers have a hard time when us more seasoned moms say enjoy it because time is def fleeting, and they do realize why when they wake up and there child is in High school.
      Precious post Antique mommy

March 14th, 2007 at 10:24 pm

3. laughing mommy says:

I almost cried reading this post it was so incredibly sweet. I love love love the “sticky prayers”!

March 14th, 2007 at 10:27 pm

4. Susan says:

“I know God has a plan for this boy and I’m going to try my best to not get in the way, but rather to walk along side him, holding his hand for as long as he’ll let me.”

I *love* that line.

March 14th, 2007 at 11:19 pm

5. Jennifer says:

This has to be one of my favorites of yours, too. Thanks for making me read it again!
      BTW, I started a blog of my own last week and added you to my blogroll. I love reading your thoughts!

March 15th, 2007 at 1:47 am

6. Author Mom DogNut says:

I can see why it’s your favorite. It’s beautiful. Love the photo too.

March 15th, 2007 at 6:38 am

7. Beck says:

This is one of the best blog posts I’ve ever read. Just lovely.

March 15th, 2007 at 8:11 am

8. MommaMaria says:

Love the quote. Time does slip by all too quickly.

March 15th, 2007 at 9:56 am

9. Blog Antagonist says:

I don’t recall reading that the first time around. I enjoyed it very much. It’s so easy to get caught up in trying to steer them into a safe future, isn’t it? I hope I can find the strength to let my children find their own destiny. Lovely post.

March 15th, 2007 at 11:15 am

10. wordgirl says:

My oldest son turns 18 on Saturday and I wish I could tell you how many times the swift passing of the years has taken me by surprise. I blink…and he’s learning how to read and then I blink again and he’s writing his college application essay. He drives, he dates, he’ll vote in the next election…only he’ll do so as a resident of College Station…and not Fort Worth. I, too, am trying not to get in the way. That is probably hardest of all.

March 15th, 2007 at 11:39 am

11. leslieann says:

I love, love, LOVE this. Love it. I feel like yesterday I was struggling to even have a child and here we are 3 years later potty training and planning to have another (hopefully).

Thank you for reposting this…I wasn’t blogging when you first posted it and would have missed it altogether.

=)

March 15th, 2007 at 12:18 pm

12. Michelle says:

This made me giggle “perhaps Abraham Lincoln wanted to be a ninja too.”

You have a beautiful way with words. Your son is so blessed to have you as a mother. Thank you for sharing your prayers for him, with us. I aspire to be a better mother and posts like this one touch my heart.

March 15th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

13. daring young mom says:

Lot’s Wife! Mwa ha ha! Oh… yeah… and that was sweet.

March 16th, 2007 at 12:26 am

14. AnneK says:

Hi Antique Mommy,

I stumbled across your blog recently through a friend’s blog and I have been lurking ever since. I do so enjoy reading your blog during lunch time (since I am a working lady) like a favorite book! I have gone back and read many of your older posts also. Sticky prayers is probably my favorite too. When I read it a couple of days back, it gave me a pang and I am not even a mom! Do you mind if I put you on my blogroll?

AnneK

March 16th, 2007 at 2:27 pm

15. Stacey says:

I love this post. Makes me stop and think about just how quickly time is slipping away with my own kids!

March 19th, 2007 at 11:48 pm