• The Date

March 25, 2007

Saturday night, Antique Daddy and I went on a date for the first time in a long, long while.

Since Sean was born three years ago, we have been woefully negligent in making the time and taking the time to be together as a couple. We even got a nice hotel room and made dinner reservations and made a night of it. We looked forward all week to a night out without a diaper bag and having dinner where we didn’t have to request the check at the same time we ordered our food and drinks. We could relax and focus on each other.

When we got to the restaurant, we sat at the outside bar to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. The weather was as lovely as could be, the air was summertime sweet and noisy with chatter and laughter. We had not a care in the world.

We sat knee to knee, not speaking, just smiling at each other like two shy 4th graders. It seemed almost as though the previous ten years had never happened. Then he casually put his hand on my knee. It felt warm on my leg. I sipped my wine and twirled my hair. I felt the familiar but long-forgotten awkwardness that comes with a first date. I leaned into him in such a way that I could smell his aftershave and he could look down my shirt. It was fun to flirt with my husband. He looked long and deep into my eyes before leaning in so that we were cheek to cheek. I could feel his breath on my neck and in my ear. Then he whispered, “I wonder what Sean’s doing.”

Which was exactly what I was thinking.

1. Ami says:

Yes, we can’t go anywhere without thinking and speaking of our kids. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog!

March 25th, 2007 at 5:55 pm

2. Blog Antagonist says:

LOL! This has happened to us on numerous occasions as well. We finally quit fighting it. So what if we talk about the kids when we’re alone? As long as we’re not discussing the finer points of childrearing while actually in flagrante delicto, I don’t see a problem.

March 25th, 2007 at 5:56 pm

3. Linda says:

Ah romance….

March 25th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

4. Leslie says:

Two weekends ago my husband and I went away for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary. It was the first time we’d ever been away from our 2 1/2 year old overnight. I can definitely relate!

March 25th, 2007 at 7:05 pm

5. Jamie says:

Apparantly, it looks like you all love your children more than I love mine.

🙂

Actually, we tend to start off the night with funny stories about Delaney and we laugh about what a strange little monkey we are raising then we try and fit in ALL the uninterrupted conversations we have been meaning to have. It’s always exactly what we needed.

Just being able to eat a dinner without ketchup ending up on my sleeves is wonderous for my sanity and worth the babysitter bucks.

Good for you! Sounds like a fun night!

Jamie

March 25th, 2007 at 7:05 pm

6. Allyson says:

Isn’t that always the way though!? My husband (my daughter’s step-father) and I couldn’t even stop thinking and talking about our daughter when we were on our honeymoon. Not that we even wanted to, but everyone gave us a hard time about it. 😉

March 25th, 2007 at 7:08 pm

7. jodi_a4givensinner says:

LOL! Too funny!

March 25th, 2007 at 7:22 pm

8. abogada says:

I had to chuckle at this post. On the very, very rare occasions that my husband and I have together alone, we feel as though something is missing and can’t help but talk about our little one.

March 25th, 2007 at 7:31 pm

9. Chilihead says:

Again with the dead on. Quit it.

March 25th, 2007 at 7:38 pm

10. Debbie says:

AM,
      I love, love, love to hear that couples still LIKE and LOVE each other after many years of marriage. After 18 years, I can’t imagine anyone I would rather pass the time with than J. Anyway what was Sean doing? Thanks again for the smiles.
      Debbie

March 25th, 2007 at 8:04 pm

What was Sean doing? Probably jumping on the bed with Wivian (Grandma), eating popsicles and watching TV at 11pm. All the stuff Mommy never lets him do.

March 25th, 2007 at 8:21 pm

12. Beck says:

HAHAHA. Oh, and so true. Have you ever read one of those old articles that says never to talk about the kids on romantic evenings out? That’s so wrong – it’s almost all we have in common at this point.

March 25th, 2007 at 8:58 pm

13. Lee says:

Oh my gosh. Wivian’s back. How thrilled was Sean to see her? And did she bring that Papa Ed that turned him around….Love the date story. Mine are 17 and 11 and we went on a date Saturday too. And yes we talked about much they would have enjoyed the show we saw.

March 25th, 2007 at 10:33 pm

14. Kilikina says:

HAHAHA. We can’t go out on a date without talking about our little guy either. Isn’t it funny?

March 25th, 2007 at 11:35 pm

15. Jenny D says:

Ha!! That was a good one!! Hope you had a great date. We have a hard time not talking about the kids on our dates too. 🙂

March 25th, 2007 at 11:45 pm

16. Polly says:

I agree with Chilihead. You just need to stop reading minds, lady! I trust you and AD had a nice night out?

March 26th, 2007 at 12:00 am

17. Theresa says:

Ours are all grown and on their own, and the Wonder Husband and I still have trouble going on a date and not talking about the kids, and the grandkids, and the parents–it really never stops if you are involved in your family!

March 26th, 2007 at 5:14 am

18. Overwhelmed! says:

Oh, this brought a smile to my face. My husband and I also don’t make enough of an effort to get out alone on dates. And when we do, it’s an effort not to think and talk of our son! 🙂

March 26th, 2007 at 7:42 am

19. Sally says:

Iknow what you mean-we’ve been married nearly 21 years and we rarely take the time to get away together without the girls. But whenever we do, I STILL always wonder what they are doing and think how much I miss them (and they are teenagers now!!) I guess you never get over that part of being a Mommy, no matter how old your kids are!!

March 26th, 2007 at 7:50 am

20. JD says:

adorable!

March 26th, 2007 at 7:56 am

21. snapshot says:

Date nights are important, if only to remind us that being a Mom is GREAT!
      But hey, having your hunny looking down your shirt ain’t too bad either!

March 26th, 2007 at 7:58 am

22. wordgirl says:

And the next stop on the train of parenthood will have you two taking a weekend away (with Sean safely at Wivian’s) and you’ll see all these wonderful things, but the first thing out of your mouth will be the phrase, “Oh…Sean would love to see something like this.” Oh yeah…it never ends.

March 26th, 2007 at 8:43 am

23. Jamie says:

Isn’t that the truth! It is funny how we parents try to get away from it all, but we never truly can because our little ones are constantly on our mind!

March 26th, 2007 at 9:32 am

24. GiBee says:

I think every mom on this planet can relate!!!

March 26th, 2007 at 9:35 am

25. Lisa (qtpies7) says:

Because we are so close, we have 7 kids to talk about, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with talking about what our LOVE has brought us!
      I do, however, think its important to GET AWAY from what our LOVE has made sometimes! LOL Love isn’t always pretty, especially when that love turns into the teen years.

March 26th, 2007 at 9:44 am

26. Kara says:

Yeah, we do this too. Talk about the kids when we are doing things without them lol.

March 26th, 2007 at 10:11 am

27. Anjali says:

Sounds like a lovely evening. You can’t erase thoughts of kids on a romantic date. And really, who would want to?

March 26th, 2007 at 10:43 am

I bet he was just fine… And so where the two of you by the end of THAT date.

March 26th, 2007 at 10:46 am

29. Susan says:

Dates will never be the same again. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. 🙂

March 26th, 2007 at 11:50 am

30. Robbin says:

Oh, yes I can so relate!! We just have to find a way to talk about our favorite subjects (and biggest blessings)!!

March 26th, 2007 at 3:03 pm

31. Crazy Working Mom says:

What a perfectly well written story! 🙂
      Sounds like a lovely night.

March 26th, 2007 at 3:13 pm

32. daring young mom says:

Mmmm… Yeah. I love the surprise ending that is not much of a surprise to any of us. At least you got out. That is the first step. Before you know it, you’ll be going steady.

March 26th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

33. Schweers' Mom says:

Very, very cute and (unfortunately) very, very true (even when they are 12 and 14).

March 26th, 2007 at 3:53 pm

34. Gwen says:

That is so well written and HILARIOUS. I burst out laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. Thank you!

March 26th, 2007 at 3:57 pm

35. Mommy Dearest says:

We can never really go back, can we?

March 26th, 2007 at 4:23 pm

36. Donna says:

My husband and I are so there with you. Congratulations on having a nice, romantic date night together (even if you can’t stop thinking about the kid).

March 26th, 2007 at 5:41 pm

37. Tammy says:

Oh, my hubby and I have had the same date!

But when my youngest was three, can you imagine that we actually had the guts to leave our children with good friends and fly to Hawaii for a whole week??? I don’t know how I did that…but somehow, but the time I was sipping my umbrella drink watching a hula show by the ocean that first night, I somehow managed. 😉

March 26th, 2007 at 6:02 pm

38. Chris says:

You are so right. It’s nice to know that AD was also thinking of Sean. Mine would say, what kids? Great post as usual. 😉

March 26th, 2007 at 6:40 pm

39. BOSSY says:

Very funny, friend. Whenever Bossy feels that way on a date she orders another glass of wine.

March 26th, 2007 at 6:53 pm

40. Sarah's in the Midst of It says:

We weren’t that great about regular dates until we had #3. Now we have a standing date every week, even if it’s just to eat dinner and then sit in silence on the couches at Barnes & Noble, soaking in an hour without changing anybody’s diaper. Heaven on earth.

I just wish the baby monitor’s cord reached all the way to Barnes & Noble. 🙂

March 26th, 2007 at 8:54 pm

41. Janean says:

Ooooh my! Too familiar. 😀
      Either that scenerio or we just talk about the kids all night long. With four of them, we have alot to talk about. 😀

March 31st, 2007 at 12:40 pm

42. Melissa says:

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know that I am very impress by your writting. You are very talented. I enjoy reading your blogs. They make you want to keep reading more and more. Please keep it up.

April 1st, 2007 at 6:21 pm