• Yellow Lab Advice

April 13, 2007

As I was driving Sean to school yesterday morning, I spotted a man jogging with his dog.

I didn’t take notice of the man, but the dog caught my eye. It was a Yellow Lab. I took a second look in my rear view mirror as I drove slowly past. In his mouth, the dog had a dirty tennis ball. He had his tail high in the air. He seemed to be smiling. He would occasionally look up at his master, step a little higher and wag his tail. This dog, he was radiating joy. Contentment. Happiness. He had everything he needed. He was with his most favorite person in the world and he had a toy ready in case someone wanted to play.

I think God put Labs on earth to remind us that we don’t really need as much as we think we do to be happy. All we really need is to be with the people we love. And maybe a toy in case someone wants to play.

1. Deena @ Junk in the Trunk says:

You can learn a lot from dogs. Much of it is useful. How to lick hindquarters…not so useful:-)

April 13th, 2007 at 2:55 pm

2. Lundie says:

Beautiful. Thank you.

April 13th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

3. Common Mom says:

How right you are! Our beloved yellow lab, Maggie, will be 10 this October. The way she acts you’d think she was 2! She’ll play ball anytime, anywhere . . . and we DO have a ball and a poop bag available in the car just in case there’s an opportunity. Dan and I can’t help but smile quietly when we see Jason and Keira playing ball with Maggie, laying on her watching a movie, or holding her leash on a hike. It all seems so simple sometimes. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts!

April 13th, 2007 at 3:12 pm

4. Susan says:

I totally agree!

Now you have me missing our yellow lab (I’m at work). Her name is Jasmine, and she was one of my big Christmas presents this year. I had wanted a yellow lab all my life.

Wanna see?

April 13th, 2007 at 3:43 pm

5. Military Mommy says:

I have always said that our dog, Mags, is the easiest one to take care of in the family.

And the most appreciative too. 😉

April 13th, 2007 at 4:07 pm

6. Becca says:

How beautiful. Excuse me, I have a yeller dog to go play with right quick!

April 13th, 2007 at 5:34 pm

7. That Girl says:

I broke up with a guy who owned a yellow lab that I dearly loved. I miss “Yella Dog” like crazy!

April 13th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

8. Troy S. says:

I’m with Military Mommy — my lab is the ONLY one who greets me ecstatically with wags no matter how grouchy I am. And she NEVER has a bad day. However, at this very moment, she took advantage of a briefly open gate to bolt and is roaming the neighborhood that she believes to be her playground. I am so sad until she comes back!

April 13th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

9. Sarah S. says:

Sorry — on hubs’ computer — he’s not all that sad as he is annoyed. . .

April 13th, 2007 at 5:37 pm

10. Nancy says:

I saw a gorgeous dog like that one at our local flea market. He had on his nice collar and leash and his master was quite careful of his presence around the other shoppers. I sorely miss my sweet Patches, put down in October, so I was watching them with longing.
      As the older man prepared to leave, his faithful pup followed behind….and even stopped to retrieve his OWN leash and carry it in his mouth!
      I just got sort of teary eyed, it was so sweet.
      It reminded me of a black lab I saw last summer at a hotel we were staying in….the family was leaving early one morning and all were carrying assorted bags, luggage, pillows, etc….the dog was carrying his teddy bear!
      Oh, my heart…. 🙂

April 13th, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Oh! A teddy bear! That gives me a lump in my throat. My sweet Cooper Ann, gone two years now, had a teddy bear. You can read about here: http://antiquemommy.typepad.com/antique_mommy/2006/01/a_bucket_of_tea.html

April 13th, 2007 at 6:00 pm

12. Elizabeth at A Biblical Home says:

What a beautiful dog! My husband is currently scouring the classifieds to find us the perfect puppy (maybe a lab mix). We might not need much to be happy, but my husband definitely thinks we need a dog! (And I am starting to agree.)

April 13th, 2007 at 6:26 pm

13. Michelle says:

aww what a great post. I don’t have a yellow lab..but I do have a red Aussie and a black Aussiemix that think they are poodles 🙂 One stands there shaking his nub while the other stands beside him beating him with her tail…

I wish sometimes life was so simple that I only needed a companion and a ball to fetch..oh what a life for even a day that would be…

thanks for the simple perspective

April 13th, 2007 at 6:40 pm

14. Michelle says:

Who knew all you needed was a tennis ball to be happy! 😉

You’re right though. Sometimes we get so stuck on material things and wanting those to keep us happy instead of seeing the basic, most essential tool for happiness – love. Thanks for the reminder.

April 13th, 2007 at 7:03 pm

15. Southern Girl says:

I couldn’t agree more! Of course, it’s not just yellow Labs — our precious Molly was a beautiful black Lab, and heck, she didn’t even need a dirty tennis ball. She was content just to be with her humans. Best dog ever.

April 13th, 2007 at 8:36 pm

16. Net says:

What happened to my post? Maybe swiped by the blog-Gods?
      I wanted to say, We Absolutely Love our Golden Retriever. Best family dog, no doubt! He depends on our oldest (10), and one of our youngest (4) depends on him. He would be missed by everyone in the family, but Momma wouldn’t miss his ever-shedding hair!!! Argh!!
      So, what is DOG, spelled backwards???

April 13th, 2007 at 8:37 pm

17. Thea says:

You made me stop and hug my pug! All he ever needs is a hug, a noogie and his favorite toy. All I sometimes need at the end of a long day is his slobbery kisses. Thanks for the lovely post!

April 13th, 2007 at 8:48 pm

18. Robbin says:

HAH! Thought so too, back when I owned just a German Shepherd.

Now I have a completely INSANE Jack Russell Terrier and a clingly, emotionally demanding Vizsla, whose outlooks on life are far more complex and unpredictable than a fair share of the PEOPLE I know.

Makes me appreciate Labs…

April 13th, 2007 at 9:19 pm

19. mamaspeak says:

love, love, love this post!

me thinks it’s about time for Sean to start learning about having a pet (hint, hint). Spring and summer are great times of year to start working with a new family member….

and if you don’t want a puppy, look into the rejects from the work dog programs, they’re usually rejected over things we wouldn’t even consider an issue (ie–they don’t like to ride in elevators), but they’re super trained, socialized and happy to be with you.

April 13th, 2007 at 10:15 pm

20. Kara says:

So true! I love how dogs are so content with the simple things and always ready to play, I need to be more like that.

April 13th, 2007 at 11:50 pm

21. kathie says:

LOL, as long as its not an ipod to tangle itself around your legs when you’re trying to have a spring in your step, hey!
      Yes, I’m sure dogs were put on this earth to teach us the art of simple pleasures.

April 14th, 2007 at 12:37 am

22. Lucy's Mom says:

I so agree. Lucy and Meggie, our Chocolate Labs live only to play, swim and love us. Labs are such incredibly wonderful dogs. I miss our Bess, that we lost last Fall, more than words can say.

April 14th, 2007 at 2:23 am

23. Theresa says:

My little (b)Rat Terrier, Sparky, loves to play with family, but thinks all “strangers” should equal lunch. We got him from the pound and are extremely thankful that we did, but socializing him is a no go!

April 14th, 2007 at 6:49 am

24. Elizabeth says:

That is so true. My husband and I have a Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese) and he is so happy walking with us with a big stick in his mouth.

April 14th, 2007 at 10:12 am

25. wordgirl says:

We have a chocoalate lab (Hershey) and a formerly homeless Blue Heeler/Shepherd mix (Norman) who LOVE being taken for a walk or a run. The gratitude and excitement they demonstrate is palpable and Norman continually runs back to where we are to be petted and stroked before running his stretchy leash to its limit. It’s as if he needs us to confirm that this walk is the best thing in the world. The best thing that has happened to him (besides dinner) all day. And maybe it is.

April 14th, 2007 at 10:57 am

26. Sarah says:

What lovely thoughts, thank you.

April 14th, 2007 at 2:58 pm

27. Jill says:

Labs really are amazing that way! Pure, unadulterated joy! We should all be so lucky to have a few minutes like that!

April 15th, 2007 at 1:19 pm

28. Mommy Dearest says:

That is some really fabulous advice. So much unhappiness is caused in this world by pursuit (and paying for) things we don’t really need.

April 15th, 2007 at 5:38 pm

29. diane says:

What a precious story!!!

April 15th, 2007 at 9:59 pm

30. lisa h. says:

love labs! i can’t wait for my kids to want a dog and then it’s off to find the perfect chocolate lab!

April 15th, 2007 at 10:48 pm

31. Adwina - Mom of 1 says:

What a lovely dog…what a lovely story to teach us all…

TFS

April 16th, 2007 at 12:43 am

32. jen says:

I needed to hear that. Thanks for the perfect advice.

April 16th, 2007 at 8:25 am

Amen… just amen. Playing for the sheer joy of playing is so underrated. And we don’t really need all the junk that we think we need to have fun. Sometimes all I need is my imagination and a friend.

April 16th, 2007 at 12:03 pm

34. Heather says:

We have a sweet beagle mix, and he is a true companion to my ten-year-old son. He is asleep on the couch right next to me, waiting for his buddy to come home from school.

I recently read a great book for anyone who loves yellow labs — it’s called Marley and Me, by John Grogan. The book describes how their dog Marley changed their life and taught them to appreciate the simpler things that really matter. I think the website is http://www.marleyandme.com. Enjoy!

April 16th, 2007 at 12:17 pm

35. jouette says:

how sweet. this one made me teary today.

April 16th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

36. Clare says:

Labs are such a beautiful breed of dog. I found a Yorkie last night and took him under my wing till we either find his owner or re-home him. Please go here to see him…

April 16th, 2007 at 5:28 pm

37. BOSSY says:

“All we really need is…”

Also a food fetish. And that’s all they need.

April 16th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

38. Kim says:

I don’t have dog. I have a cat. I think God gave us cats to remind us to take naps, since that is all mine does all day! That and to eat fish once in awhile…..

Thanks for the reminder to be happy with the simple things in life. I forget that sometimes.

April 16th, 2007 at 8:01 pm

39. Overwhelmed! says:

How sweet your powers of observation are. 🙂

We may be getting Snuggle Bug a puppy dog soon.

April 17th, 2007 at 1:13 am

40. Connie says:

I had the honor of having a black lab for 13 years and she was just a sweetie. Her whole goal in life was to be with me and please me. Her heart was radiating to everyone.

Very nice post.
      Take care,
      Connie

April 17th, 2007 at 4:30 am

41. amy says:

What a sweet and simple post! Thanks for the reminder!!!!

If you are interested, Amy’s Random Thoughts is having a blogging Scavenger Hunt starting May 1st..A good time will be had by all..

April 17th, 2007 at 4:30 am

42. Phoenix says:

Hi there – I just wanted to say that I am enjoying your blog and hope that you will come and visit me sometime 🙂

April 17th, 2007 at 6:52 pm

43. mcewen says:

Yup we were up at the Humane society yesterday checking things out.
      Best wishes

April 17th, 2007 at 9:31 pm

44. Terri says:

I tore a cartoon page out of a magazine several years ago titled “A Dog’s Perspective”. It had several drawings of the owner doing things like his dog did. The point was that maybe we would enjoy things as much as our dog does if we looked at the world from his point of view. Like we (me) all need to loosen up. We have a 2 yr. old, salt-n-pepper mini-schnauzer named Shelby. She belongs to my son but she is also a “Mommy’s Girl”. We all are crazy about her, including my 6′ 5″ husband. He practically makes a fool out of himself with her!

April 18th, 2007 at 8:01 pm

45. Black Belt Mama says:

Although not a dog person, I’ve considered getting a lab lately (after my neighbor let his pit bull roam the neighborhood without supervision). I think you’re right about labs. They are really cool dogs.

April 18th, 2007 at 8:16 pm

46. No Wasted Days says:

Yes….and finding your little A-Cup white bra (now brown from dirt and yellow lab spit) in the back yard is God’s way of making me smile at the end of a long day…!

April 19th, 2007 at 12:12 pm

47. No Wasted Days says:

April 19th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Now THAT sounds like a good blog post! Your lab really knows how to party!

April 19th, 2007 at 12:32 pm