• Laundry Interrupted Again

April 25, 2007

(beeeeep!) Sean and I are busy playing in the sandbox and can’t get to the computer. Please leave a message at the end of this recycled post and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. (beeeeep!)

In my washing machine right now, there is a load of musty-smelling bath towels that need to be washed. Again. For the third time in a row. You would think that a modern woman like me with the modern conveniences of a washer and a dryer in her home could manage to get a load of laundry washed and dried, if not folded and put away, in less than three days. You would think that if you didn’t have kids. If you do, well, then you understand that even your interruptions are interrupted by interruptions. And unlike a two-year-old, laundry will just sit quietly, steeping in it’s own mildew, waiting patiently for you to come back.

Before I had a child, laundry was a day and not a state of being. Now laundry is not only a state of being but a decorating scheme. There is laundry on the laundry room floor waiting its turn for a weekend in the washer. There is laundry in the dryer waiting for Godot. There is laundry in the basket on the sofa waiting to be dumped out and jumped in for the umpteenth time. Sometimes I just can’t help myself. There are piles of laundry on the breakfast bar hoping to hitch a ride to the bedroom. And yet another pile of laundry positioned just so on a sofa table where a lamp used to be, where you might expect to see an artful display of books or a vase or even a Tonka truck. But no, that would be so expected, so pedestrian. A stack of gym socks and underwear says so much more about who we are.

Here at the House of Antique, we are on the on the cutting edge of design. Laundry chic, the next decorating trend. You heard it here first.

This post was originally published in April of 2006.

1. wordgirl says:

Are you sure you don’t live in my house? Because…you’re starting to spook me just a little bit.

April 25th, 2007 at 8:58 am

2. Becca says:

There’s one chair we never sit in…we never see the beautiful upholstery job (done by a friend). Why? You might ask…seems two people can’t get the gumption to empty it of…laundry!!

April 25th, 2007 at 8:59 am

3. Jill says:

As I read this, I am staring at Mt. Laundry, the gigantic pile of clothes that takes up an entire love seat and a couple rows in front of it on the floor. It took me a week to get around to folding it all, so I don’t see any need to hurry up and put it all away!

April 25th, 2007 at 9:03 am

4. toyfoto says:

Our towels smell moldy, too. Even when they’re clean. As soon as they get wet … ARRRRRR.
      I really stink at this “homemaking” business.

April 25th, 2007 at 9:03 am

5. maggie says:

Waiting for Godot? Really? The laundry is a constant problem, especially when the kid wants to wear the same dress day in and day out. And I’m too frugal to do a load JUST FOR THAT DRESS. So then the laundry escalates into battles with the 3 year old.

April 25th, 2007 at 9:07 am

6. Heth says:

This post hits a soft spot in my heart. “Laundry as a decorating scheme”. That’s a perfect description.

April 25th, 2007 at 9:10 am

7. amy says:

OMG, thank you AM. I thought I was the only one who did this. Repeatedly.

April 25th, 2007 at 10:11 am

8. Military Mommy says:

We should start a club. I’ll make the nametags.

April 25th, 2007 at 10:17 am

9. Kara says:

LOL I can so relate! Laundry just never gets completely done. And I had to laugh at the interruptions getting interrupted 😀 That’s how every day goes here!

April 25th, 2007 at 10:35 am

10. bee says:

Since laundry is everyday around here, I’ve started matching the piles to my decor. You know, reds in the kitchen, blacks in the living room…

April 25th, 2007 at 10:49 am

11. mcewen says:

There is only one method of dealing with laundry – ruthless, unremitting brutality.
      Cheers

April 25th, 2007 at 11:52 am

12. His Girl says:

My goodness…I love your posts…even the recycled ones. I especially love that you prioritize playing in the sandbox with your baby. Trust me, you’ll never regret it!!

April 25th, 2007 at 11:59 am

13. Robbin says:

Oh.

You reminded me.

I had a load I left in the washer Monday…

April 25th, 2007 at 12:03 pm

14. Jackie says:

Laundry will just sit quietly steeping in its own mildew?! Hillarious, AM! I love it!

April 25th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I love the intro. It sounds something like what is on our message machine right now…

Have fun!

April 25th, 2007 at 12:38 pm

16. Cathy says:

Ha! Hits so close to home…

I once explained how a dishwasher works to some young village girls while on a mission trip (e.g. “a dishwasher is a BIG box with a door…you put your dishes in there with some soap…and the box cleans the dishes for you”).

From the looks on their faces, I decided not to tell them how horribly taxing it is to load and unload the box, and how I HATE doing it.

April 25th, 2007 at 1:46 pm

17. Mrs X says:

Shoot! That reminds me… I left the towels in the washer. 2 days ago.
      Guess I’m rewashing too!

April 25th, 2007 at 3:11 pm

18. ComfyDenim says:

*ROFL*
      I just dragged a pair of jeans out of the dryer so I could wear them. If Laundry is a decorating scheme – I’m in! My bedroom is set to go. I feel so much better knowing I’m in style somewhere in the house.

April 25th, 2007 at 5:10 pm

19. carrielouise says:

I tried to tell my husband the laundry deco WAS a state of being and he didn’t buy it. Now I have proof that I’m not alone in this venture.

April 25th, 2007 at 5:53 pm

20. cce says:

I’m never sure where it ends or where it begins, laundry seems to just keep coming at me like ocean waves, a constant, steady surf of jog bras and little boy jeans with the knees torn out and a thousand iterations of pink pajamas and pink socks and pink overalls.
      Thanks for recycling today. This hit the spot.

April 25th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

21. Emily says:

Oh, I’m so glad you published this again! I wasn’t reading last year, so it was new to me, and oh, how I laughed! It sounds just like my house – laundry, laundry everywhere, and not a clean sock to wear! 🙂 I’m going to link to this post so my readers can come enjoy it, too. 🙂

April 26th, 2007 at 12:29 am

22. tas says:

AMEN!! Have you ever had to take a “old” load out of the washing machine to put a new one in…..yup that’s me the epitomy of a domestic goddess!!!!

April 26th, 2007 at 6:55 am

23. Everyday Mommy says:

I’ve got a little lump in my throat, for this is the very first Antique Mommy post I read. Way back when you had a little Blogger blog. Still one of my favorites.

April 26th, 2007 at 9:01 am

24. Linda says:

I am going to show my husband this post. Because, honestly? He thinks it’s just ME…!! grrrrr…….!!!!!!

April 26th, 2007 at 10:17 pm

25. Kim says:

You have your priorities in the right place 🙂 There will always be laundry but our children grow up way too fast.

April 29th, 2007 at 10:40 am

26. Nina says:

So I will remember you with great love and devotion when we can’t find any clean underwear because it is “somewhere in that pile” . . . . and we’ll just go eat ice cream instead! Be back soon1 Nina

May 4th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

27. Naomi B. says:

When my kids were about 1 and 2 years old my sister-in-law came for a visit. It was the first time she had seen our house. I was at the point where none of the baby clothes fit anymore but I couldn’t get rid of them. I told her sorry for the mess I was doing laundry. She said “In every room?”

May 21st, 2009 at 9:11 am