• April and Ollie

May 4, 2007

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Just beyond our neighborhood live April and Ollie. We pass their place nearly every time we leave the neighborhood and as we do, we slow down, roll down the car windows and shout out a greeting. It’s Texas. We’re friendly here.

They always stop what they are doing, raise their heads and nod back in acknowledgement. Ollie is an old swayback horse. April is a donkey and Ollie’s paramour. Like an old married couple, they are always together.

Last week, as we drove to school, Sean spotted the pair. “Oh Mommy! Slow down! Roll down my window so I can wave!”

“Hu-woe April! Huh-woe Ollie!” he called as he flapped his hand out the window.

“Did they wave back?” I asked.

“Ac-tu-wully, yes,” annunciated my pint-sized professor, “but April and Ollie wave their tails because they don’t have hands.”

I have a b’zillion credit hours to my name yet the best teacher I’ve ever had sits in the backseat of my car.

1. military mommy says:

I love this “stage” of language. I’m right there with you with my almost 4 year old boy. I think I will miss that most of all.

What a sweet memory April & Ollie will be for both of you. 🙂

Have a fun weekend,
      Michelle

May 3rd, 2007 at 11:50 pm

2. Joyful Days says:

Isn’t that the truth. I’ve learned more in the last nine (ouch almost ten) years than the previous 33.

All I can say is it goes way to fast.

May 3rd, 2007 at 11:58 pm

3. blog_antagonist@yahoo.com says:

Very cute. I miss that age a lot.

May 4th, 2007 at 5:41 am

4. Jennifer says:

You know, if you ever get tired of him I’ll take him in. He just sounds adorable. 🙂

May 4th, 2007 at 7:04 am

5. Jen says:

I love when they start using grown up words in context: “actually” – I love it! My daughter said to me the other day when I was doing my yearly mopping of the floors – “Mom, the floor looks fabulous!” 🙂

May 4th, 2007 at 7:39 am

6. Marian says:

Aww. Very sweet. They always make you look at the world differently if you take the time to listen.
      I love it when those big words come popping out, especially with baby pronunciation. Like when I asked my just-had-his-fourth-birthday son what color he was going to color his paper, and he informed me that he would use MULTIPLE colors. Or when another son declared, at age four, that he was PARCHED and needed a drink. =)

May 4th, 2007 at 8:10 am

7. Pammer says:

The logic always astounds me.

May 4th, 2007 at 8:27 am

8. Beck says:

Motherhood is the most vibrant, intense thing that I have ever, ever done and it feels almost magical how these little people have brought about such changes in me, and how I see the world.
      You write so beautifully…

May 4th, 2007 at 9:49 am

9. Beaver says:

Oh, that reminds me of my almost 2 year old (10 years ago) when we lived next door to a “forsey” and she would call out “FOR—SEY” across the street. We still laugh about that every now and then. That and one of our favorite shopping places – “Ho-po” (Home Depot). . . Sweet memories like this HAVE to be written down!

Love reading your blog – such a way with words! Erma Bombeck of our generation!

May 4th, 2007 at 9:54 am

For anyone who thinks they have life figured out, give them a toddler with whom to spend time. There’s so much that we can learn and truth to be heard from the eyes and heart of a child.

May 4th, 2007 at 10:27 am

11. KimC says:

My mom used to have a donkey named April, in the San Antonio area. She had to sell April about 3 years ago and I don’t know who bought her – is there any chance that your little gray acquaintance is an old friend of ours?

May 4th, 2007 at 11:34 am

12. Sally says:

We should all see the world through the eyes of a child………

May 4th, 2007 at 1:09 pm

13. KD says:

It’s so true…kids do say the darnest (and cutest) things! I love that age! Enjoy!

May 4th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

14. Beverly says:

How true!

And what wonderful memories you’re created for your child…but also for you!

May 4th, 2007 at 4:27 pm

15. mcewen says:

You and me both dearie.
      Best wishes

May 4th, 2007 at 6:31 pm

16. Lucy's Mom says:

Your little guy is a true charmer. The things he says always make me smile.

On another note, you have been tagged for a silly Internet Blog game. Play if you like. Details are in my latest posting.

May 4th, 2007 at 7:40 pm

17. wordgirl says:

I LOVE how literal he is in explaining that horses (duh!) don’t have hands. But he does it in such a kindly way. Almost as though he forgives you for not knowing about the hands/tails thing.

May 4th, 2007 at 10:42 pm

18. Twisted Cinderella says:

That is soooo sweet! Thanks for the smile today.

May 5th, 2007 at 11:53 am