• Painting

May 5, 2007

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

I can’t cradle this boy in my arms so much anymore. I miss that intimacy.

But I can spend a rainy morning sitting on the kitchen floor with him, side by side, painting giraffes. We are two artists doing our thing together, without the intrusion of spoken word.

Hanging out together — this is the new intimacy that binds us. It is not flesh to flesh, but it is nourishing and it is satisfying.

1. mom2fur says:

Oh, those days when they are little fly by way too fast! Mine are 16, 20, 22 and 24. I can remember the cute things they did, although it’s hard to convince my oldest one that he was once ‘cute.’
      Sometimes, you want them to stay babies…but then they turn into adorable toddlers, amazing kids, fascinating teens and wonderful adults. Yep, even the teen years have their great moments! So enjoy your giraffes, but just know that there are more great times to come!

May 5th, 2007 at 7:00 pm

2. military mommy says:

What a sweet way to spend your day! I love the paint set! Do you remember where you got it? I really like that tray. He looks so into his work.

I have to comment again on how dark his hair is getting. It is just so noticeable lately. I love the color – almost like there’s some red in it too or it might just be the photo. Little man is growing up. Bittersweet – good in some ways, but I agree about the snuggling getting less. Little boys are just so active.

Enjoy your weekend,
      Michelle

May 5th, 2007 at 9:23 pm

Beautiful.

May 5th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

4. Clare says:

Lovely! I can see you are both very talented artists.

I’ve had a lot of quality time with my little man recently. The boy I mind had tonsilitis and is on holiday now for 10 days. When the girls go to school, it’s just me and D.S. I’m loving it!

May 6th, 2007 at 5:02 am

5. Babystepper says:

And you’ve got a very nice painting into the bargain. While I’m impressed by your giraffe with it’s blue savannah sky and it’s long, tall acaia, I find Sean’s Multi-colored Picasso-esque piece much more intriguing. =)

May 6th, 2007 at 7:59 am

6. Melanie says:

You have such a way with words. You have reminded me that although my days and nights may be long with my 7 month old- I need to cherish these special times. All too soon she’ll be too big and much too busy to be held!

May 6th, 2007 at 1:18 pm

7. mcewen says:

Ha! Picture didn’t load for a second there [firefox?]
      I was all ready to report you to the RSPCA [Humane Society!]
      Cheers

May 6th, 2007 at 3:56 pm

8. stephanie says:

That is perfect art.

May 6th, 2007 at 4:42 pm

9. Beck says:

Beautiful post.

May 6th, 2007 at 8:33 pm

10. kathie says:

Can I have one of them to hang on my wall? Love your artwork! Can’t wait until my little fella is old enough to sit alongside me and paint. But, for now, I enjoy the cuddles 🙂

May 7th, 2007 at 3:10 am

11. Shelly says:

I have girls and they still cuddle and snuggle a lot. Especially first thing in the morning. I am however, just loving the time with them just hanging out. Especially those time one on one with them. I am not one of those mothers who misses babydom. The first year of my kids lives was my least favorite. I never knew what they wanted or what to do. How much to feed them, etc. Now that they talk and walk it is great to interact with them. I like to listen to them make pronouncements on the world. I still like to snuggle so I encourage that as well, but the time spent bonding as people is a rare gift.

May 7th, 2007 at 8:41 am

12. Kelly at Love Well says:

Your giraffe is almost as beautiful as your son. 🙂

May 7th, 2007 at 9:20 am

13. the mad momma says:

what a beautiful way with words you have. just came across your blog and have been reading up all the old posts…. bless little Sean and I hope he and his mama get many more opportunities to ‘hang’ together 🙂

May 24th, 2007 at 5:31 am