• Thoughts For A Sunday

May 6, 2007

Subtlety in conversation is not an area in which I excel. I am the first one to admit that.

Separate from the issues of tact and judgement, I find it excruciatingly difficult to not be plain spoken, direct, forthright. Sometimes I say things even before I think of them.

However. I am learning from my husband that when hoping to win mind share, especially in matters of faith, that it is far, far better to carry someone along than to hit them directly over the head and drag them. Sometimes to stand down is to stand up.

He must increase, but I must decrease.  John 3:30

Far too often, when the message of the Gospel is not well received, we Christians whine about being persecuted and rejected for speaking the truth while taking no responsibility for how badly we have delivered the message.

No heart was ever won with a club, no matter how well intended the club weilder.

1. Stephanie says:

Thinking about this, as I communicate with my boys… especially the pre-teen one who is expressing his earliest forms of indignation as a reaction to routine reminders (take a shower, do your homework, clean your room…)

Yes, it could very well be my approach sometimes…

May 6th, 2007 at 8:33 pm

2. Joyful Days says:

Oh, so very well said. Those are words to rest on.

~Blessings~

May 6th, 2007 at 8:53 pm

3. Lisa says:

Joel Osteen’s program today was basically about how Christians must act in order to entice people to want what we have. That our ministry is in front of us everywhere we go and that we must always mind what we say, because you never know who might be listening.

I, unfortunately, ittermitently suffer from verbal diarrhea. Sometimes I speak in a way that’s not very Christian, especially when I am frustrated about things that don’t go my way. I am always very, very sorry after receiving emotional Kaopectate, usually from my husband. I’m trying to improve my thought process before opening my mouth. I’ve also been trying to learn that praying for certain things to change is an ongoing process; it’s not a one-shot deal.

May 6th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

The longer I live the more convinced I become that true evangelism has less to do with speaking the truth than living it. To live the truth one most love, to love one must serve.

May 6th, 2007 at 9:30 pm

5. Jeana says:

This post is right on target and you are awesome.

Was that direct enough? 🙂

May 6th, 2007 at 10:12 pm

If we carry the word of God in our hearts, it will seep out not only in our words but in our lives–in the way we conduct ourselves in times of stress, illness, grief, AND joy–in the way we handle our jobs, our families, our spouses, our responsibilities, bad traffic, long lines, and cart ladies’ at the Wal-Mart(s).

Yes–it needs to be on our lips. . .but it cannot carry the weight God intended if it is not first written upon our hearts.

Your post was perfection in simplicity.

May 6th, 2007 at 11:01 pm

7. Sandy says:

I don’t understand why there are some members of every kind of religion who think it is their duty to convert the rest of the world to their own religon. As if their religion is the only right one. I’ve been told by people of just about every religion that I’m going to hell because I haven’t joined their religion. I guess all of my ancestors going back for hundreds of generations must have been wrong and I should join a stranger’s religion (or even a neighbor’s)just so this person can feel good that they’ve saved me from the evils of my own religion.

May 7th, 2007 at 8:16 am

8. Nancy-The Unlikely Homesteader says:

Excellent thoughts… Amen and amen again!

May 7th, 2007 at 9:40 am

9. Shayne says:

Sometimes, my love for my fellow man needs to supercede my need to be right.

Good post AM.

May 7th, 2007 at 10:13 am

10. Lisa (qtpies7) says:

I must step forward on this one, too. I have certainly looked back at myself and realized what an awful message I was sending out!
      God’s grace and mercy are ever present in my life.

May 7th, 2007 at 10:31 am

11. wordgirl says:

Well said.

May 7th, 2007 at 10:59 am

12. jean says:

Good blog thought for the day. Thank you.

May 7th, 2007 at 12:05 pm

13. Kacey says:

It’s so easy to witness to the saved, but that is called preaching to the choir. It seems so wrong to proselytize from one religion to another. We sometimes lose sight of the main purpose of evangelism … to bring the Word of God to the lost. I have a terrible dilemma right now. I have an elderly brother, who is close to the end of life and wants nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion for that matter. It hurts to keep my mouth shut, when I know that by doing so, I will be partially responsible for his lack of salvation. So, I can make him happy for today with a visit, when in my heart I know he is condemned to an eternity without end. But,I am forced to keep my mouth shut and pray that someone else will witness to him.

May 7th, 2007 at 2:01 pm

14. Susan says:

To quote Ben Witherington “You must be winsome to win some”

May 7th, 2007 at 2:15 pm

15. Mrs. X says:

eXquisitely spoken. I so appreciate your well-written thoughts.

May 7th, 2007 at 6:08 pm

16. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Excellent post.

May 7th, 2007 at 11:51 pm

17. Polly says:

Point well taken

May 8th, 2007 at 12:13 am

18. Sandy says:

Kacey,

Please don’t beat yourself up about being partly responsible for your brother’s lack of salvation. I’m assuming he’s a good person, who has done numerous good deeds throughout his life, has been good brother to you, etc., etc. It’s possible he will get the salvation you want for him based on the way he has lived his life, not based on his choice, or lack thereof, of religion.

May 8th, 2007 at 11:46 am

19. Joan Gambill says:

I agree Sandy, remember that God created all on this Earth, which includes all the other religions, some of which are helping mankind to live Godly lives and some which are not. Not even the Christian religion can brag on it’s history, remember the clearances in Ireland? The war between Catholics and Protestants, etc. God is Love, and I believe that He wants us to recognize a Higher Being than man and to love one another and those who do this will be welcomed. This I believe. A born WASP

May 8th, 2007 at 4:47 pm