• Ā© Antique Mommy 2005-2017
  • I’m The Poodiest

May 24, 2007

School is out for the summer and the days are getting longer. Boy oh boy are the days getting longer. Being the sole teacher/disciplinarian/guardian/playmate/muse of a three-year-old boy from sun up to sun down has given me a greater appreciation for Sean’s teachers — even though they slighted him missed the opportunity to feature him in the school slideshow as prominently as my precious beautiful special boy-genius deserves (wink wink).

By dinnertime, I was exhausted. I set down a bowl of hastily made gourmet macaroni and cheese in front of Sean and then I collapsed into my own chair, too tired to eat. Instead I just sat there and watched him clumsily spooning the little orange spirals out of the bowl and into his mouth. I noticed how the afternoon light from the windows outlined his profile with a tiny white line, illuminating the imperceptible baby fine hairs on his face. I thought to myself if I ever get around to doing a painting of him, this is the scene I would paint, his hair the color of an old penny, his impossibly long dark eyelashes, his face outlined with the iridescent glow of sunset.

He stopped eating and looked at me. He gave me a sweet smile that belied the number of times he’d visited the time out corner today.

“I love you Sean,” I said to him.

“I wudz you Mommy,” he replied as he screwed up his face and shyly pressed his ear into his hunched up shoulder.

“You’re a good boy.”

“You’re a good mama,” he enthused pointing his cheese-encrusted spoon at me for emphasis.

Sigh. I thought about that for a moment. I thought about how I had yelled at him earlier in the day. I’m not that good of a mama. But that boy knows I love him with all of my heart. And hopefully that will cover the myriad of mistakes I make in parenting him on any given day.

“Oh Sean,” I confessed more to myself than to him. “You are a better boy than I am a mama.”

“That’s okay,” he consoled, “You are the poodiest wady in the whole woold.”

Man. I’m really going to hate it when his world gets bigger.

1. Deanna says:

Oh so cute! So delightfully written, I could see the whole scene in my head! Ain’t it great??

May 24th, 2007 at 12:54 am

2. Clemntine says:

In your spare time, you really need to cross stitch that little phrase on a sampler.

And post the pictures.

And send one to me.

May 24th, 2007 at 2:20 am

3. SM says:

Touching! Isn’t it amazing how simple scenes from everyday life sometimes grow into profound experiences?
      I love your writing.

May 24th, 2007 at 2:29 am

4. Twisted Cinderella says:

That is sooo sweet! I love moments like that.

May 24th, 2007 at 6:50 am

5. Mary says:

Your blog makes me wistful for the days when my son was that age. When they are 17….they still love their mothers (money, gas, laundry, food)……but they never call you poody!!!! At 17 I still tell him he is my favorite son (he has no brothers)….and he replies that I am his favorite mom. We have been playing that game for years….When Sean is 17….there will be a facial expression, a mannerism, or even the sunlight illuminating the hairs on his face (which will resemble razor stubble) and in your mind you will be right back to the time and place you are today!

May 24th, 2007 at 7:12 am

6. maggie says:

Sweet, poody lady!

May 24th, 2007 at 8:11 am

7. Marian says:

Awwwwww.

May 24th, 2007 at 8:22 am

8. Kara says:

Aw, that is sweet šŸ™‚ You sure do have an adorable little boy.

May 24th, 2007 at 8:27 am

9. Karly says:

Oh I so miss those days. And my son is only seven! They grow out of that so quickly! Sniff, sniff.

May 24th, 2007 at 8:34 am

10. Jeana says:

Sigh. Remember the perm craze, when we were all the poodliest? You’ve come a long way, baby!

May 24th, 2007 at 8:41 am

11. mcewen says:

As Twisted Cinderella says above, [sort of] one of the benefits of having older children [25 year old] is that it helps you realize that every age is the ‘best’ age.
      Cheers

May 24th, 2007 at 8:45 am

12. Net says:

Sweet. I don’t think the world is big enough for a boy to ever forget that his momma is the poodiest. At least that’s the idea I’m holding onto as my 2 boys take bigger steps and leave larger footprints day after day.

May 24th, 2007 at 8:51 am

13. Kai says:

Even when the world gets bigger, I’m betting he’s still going to think you are the poodiest.

I hope you do get around to doing that painting of him! Of course getting him to sit still might be a problem….perhaps one of him sleeping? šŸ™‚

May 24th, 2007 at 8:58 am

14. Susan J. says:

Precious. Boys are special, aren’t they?

May 24th, 2007 at 9:15 am

15. Addie says:

*sigh* When we’re older and they’re taking care of us we still might be considered the poodiest, however I don’t think we’ll relish the title then. It’s so much nicer now! Sweet boy. šŸ˜€

May 24th, 2007 at 9:33 am

16. Big Mama says:

These are the moments that make all that slaving over mac and cheese worth it. I wish we lived closer so that our 3 year olds could entertain each other. Plus, I like to hang out with poody people.

May 24th, 2007 at 9:44 am

17. Marie says:

My eyes are all welled up now… I’m an older Mom to a 3-year old boy too. We have plenty of moments like these, too. I don’t think I’ve ever captured one of them quite so eloquently though…

May 24th, 2007 at 10:55 am

18. Jan says:

And they slighted him, I mean, missed the opportunity to feature him in the school video? How could they! They don’t know what they’re missing!

May 24th, 2007 at 11:05 am

19. Robbin says:

I keep waiting for that first “I wuv you, Mama” from my son.

I swear I will die on the spot from an exploded heart.

May 24th, 2007 at 11:21 am

20. laughing mommy says:

Awww! That is so cute!

May 24th, 2007 at 11:24 am

21. Annie says:

Your writing is just WOW

May 24th, 2007 at 11:25 am

Sigh is right. But I’m with Sean. I think you’re the poodiest mama in the whole world too, inside and out. And I’ve been out in it, so I know that of which I speak.

Might I suggest that you do that painting of Sean? I said I wanted to “get around” to a lot of stuff with my kids, and now they’re 10 and 7. Time’s sneaky like that…

May 24th, 2007 at 12:30 pm

23. Amy says:

Ok, Sean can come over and hang out with us anytime he wants to!

May 24th, 2007 at 1:16 pm

24. Rivkeleh says:

They’re so blessedly forgiving, aren’t they? We were late getting to my 3-y-o’s 30,000-mile checkup yesterday and I was hollering and chasing him out the door, and he just looked at me with the most placid “she does this sometimes” look and went right along with getting in the car — and then later gave me a “you are my sweet boy!” I know exactly how you feel. Thank God they’re made to love us, even with all our flaws!

May 24th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

25. MrsX says:

Precious! Children are the best models — they know how to love unconditionally, forgive quickly and console automatically. If only the “mature” among us loved so purely.

May 24th, 2007 at 3:12 pm

26. Deena says:

Trust me, no matter how big his world ever gets, “You are the poodiest wady in the whole woold,” will always be how he feels about his Momma…he’ll just say it much more clearly:-)

May 24th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

27. merinz says:

Your comments made me wish my four children weren’t so ‘grown up’. However its still lovely when your thirty something, six foot son wraps his arms around you for a bear hug!

I notice that in an earlier blog you were discussing home schooling. It was the ‘sun up to sun down’ responsibility that made me decide against it many years ago.

I have been ‘lurking’ for a while now and enjoy your writing very much. Your blog helps me to remember some of the little things about our children that I thought I had forgotten.

May 24th, 2007 at 3:44 pm

28. Lucy says:

I’m not so sure those feelings ever completely disappear. I’ve got a hunch that you’ll always be poody and he’ll always be your baby. Go to….

and you’ll see what I mean.

May 24th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

29. Clare says:

I know exactly how you felt. My little one is so much like Sean…..

p.s. I cry every time I come here! lol

May 24th, 2007 at 4:13 pm

30. Blog Antagonist says:

God they’re so sweet at that age. Why did I wish for them to grow up????

The Grass is Greener syndrome, I guess.

May 24th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

31. mama speak says:

so glad you’re blogging this so that in the days when your mind may grow dim (no, it hasn’t yet) and the days pass much slower, as they seem to go so very fast now; you can read this back & remember fondly how very much you love him and how long that love has been for.

I saw a site the other day that makes blogs into books. Let me know if you want the link & I’ll find it and send it to you.

May 24th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

32. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Yes, I’ve seen you. You are indeed poody.

May 24th, 2007 at 5:15 pm

33. Susan says:

Oh, that is precious. Don’t you just want to freeze these moments in time?

When my older brother was 4 years old (and my parents were not very well-off financially), my mother surprised him one day, after a doctor’s appointment, to a trip downtown at his favorite cafeteria.

They were walking down the street, hand in hand, when she announced her plans for lunch. Paul stopped dead in his tracks, squeezed her hand tight as he could, and in his most heartfelt voice, said, “I’m so glad I don’t have a real purdy mama. I love you just the way you are!”

And even at a “compliment” like that, her heart almost burst out of her chest.

May 24th, 2007 at 6:21 pm

34. kittyhox says:

This made my eyes water. I know exactly how you feel. Every detail of my child is so overwhelmingly precious to me. I’m probably not the mother he deserves, but I’m his and I adore him.

May 24th, 2007 at 7:19 pm

35. military mommy says:

I’ve gotta break out of the mold here and make a confession.

When you said poodiest, I thought you meant pootiest (as in toot toot – gas). And I laughed out loud.

Then I realized you meant purdiest. šŸ™‚ Sorry for the confusion.

I would definitely rather be known as the purdiest lady in town that the pootiest lady in town. No contest there.

Oh – and – you’re a great mommy. Give yourself some credit. šŸ˜‰

Love Michelle

May 24th, 2007 at 7:53 pm

36. simply me says:

NO matter what day, time or year, age 1, 10, 15, 40 the love is always remarkably present between a mother and her child. Thank you for sharing it all with us. I do so enjoy it.

May 24th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

37. Stacey says:

Too cute! I love how kids tell it like it is. I’m sure you’ll always be the poodiest in his eyes!!

May 25th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

38. Terri says:

Love that Boy!!!

May 25th, 2007 at 9:41 pm

When my daughter was 4, she drew a picture of me and underneath she wrote “Good Mommy” except she spelled it “God Mommy.” Now that she’s nearly 9, she wishes I would take it down off the wall since she misspelled good, but I need to leave it there to remind me of what kind of mommy I’m SUPPOSED to be, and on the days that I fail, to remind me of whose got me covered.

May 25th, 2007 at 10:19 pm

40. Amrita Singh says:

Wow, what a beautiful relationship you have with your baby.I wish i had such closeness with my mother.

May 25th, 2007 at 10:43 pm

41. wordgirl says:

The boy speaks the truth. You IS poody. I’ve seen the pictures.

May 26th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

42. suzanne says:

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWW…..I’m sure you are poody!!!

May 27th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

43. darthulianne says:

I just shared this article with my daughter the Maggie of “hillbilliehousewife” and we both are very touched! (She is mid 30 now and I am a grandma)
      when I told her… “Marshmellow you are a poodie wonderful woman too she replied, “Oh sank you mama and I a’door you and I a’window you too. It took us back thirty years! THANK YOU.

June 4th, 2007 at 2:07 pm