• Don’t Have Enough To Worry About? Watch The Discovery Channel.

June 12, 2007

Is my child getting enough to eat? Will he ever eat a vegetable again? Am I doing enough to shape him into a boy who loves God? Is he healthy? Will he find someone to love? Will I send him off to kindergarten in diapers? Will he do well in school? What school is best for him? Will he outgrow his love of dolls and tea sets? Will I ever get him to say “Yes ma’am” instead of “Okay captain!”

These are thoughts that percolate up from the dark and scary depths of my brain off and on during the course of any given day.

Then at the end of the day, as I settle into my bed to relax and recover and refresh and restore myself, the Discovery channel informs me that there is a bulge under Yellowstone Park that could erupt and obliterate the bread basket of the United States at any minute, there is a fault line running through the Midwest that could topple and destroy everything from Des Moines to Indianapolis, the east and west coast could be wiped out by a tsunami — that is if a monster hurricane doesn’t get them first. And? A meteorite could hit the earth any day now.

Like I needed something else to worry about.

As luck would have it, my friend Blog Antagonist put up a good post about worry today as well. Funny and wry, as always. Go take a look.

1. veronica says:

Me, it’s disease. Flu pandemic, antiobiotic resistant bacteria, you name it. We’re all gonna die and it’s gonna be messy.

June 12th, 2007 at 7:13 am

2. Karen says:

LOL, it’s a scary world out there when you watch tv at night!

June 12th, 2007 at 7:23 am

3. Becca says:

So true. DH asked me the other day if I watched any news. I know it’s gonna be 100 degrees today and I better water my garden. Today has enough trouble of its own, right?

June 12th, 2007 at 7:30 am

4. MotherPie says:

Become a mother, become a worrier. They go hand-in-hand.

It never ends. World without end. Amen.

June 12th, 2007 at 8:09 am

5. Kara says:

LOL, I watched part of that too. We live in Southeast Idaho, so I told DH “At least we’d die quickly if Yellowstone exploded” no worrying about slowly suffocating on burning ash.

June 12th, 2007 at 8:16 am

6. Everyday Mommy says:

When subjected to the yellow scientist rants I’m reminded of Job 38:1-5

“Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,

“Who is this that darkens counsel By words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you, and you instruct Me!

“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding, who set its measurements? Since you know.”

June 12th, 2007 at 8:18 am

7. Blog Antagonist says:

Oh my gosh, you’re right! Our posts are so alike it’s almost scary. That fault line stuff…can’t even go there. Don’t wanna know about the bulge either. I’d rather worry about the imaginary lump in my armpit.

June 12th, 2007 at 8:30 am

8. Robbin says:

Having been on the short end of that whole disaster-prediction scenario, all I can say is that if my insurance calls for a rider, I buy it.

Beyond that, I tend to just cross my fingers and pray. The dangers of my fellow man worry me far more than those of nature.

June 12th, 2007 at 8:31 am

9. wordgirl says:

I had terrible insomnia the other night while obsessing about things that don’t look nearly as scary in the light of day. When did I start to lose so much sleep??? Oh…yeah…when I started having kids.

June 12th, 2007 at 8:46 am

10. Rivkeleh says:

See, and I worry about the Sun going supernova before we get our acts together enough to find another habitable planet to spread out onto without somehow finding a way to make it into a Superfund site before we get there.

Strange how that worry didn’t bother me so much before Noah was born, and suddenly I find myself trying to decide how I can singlehandedly save our species at 2am….

At least we know we’re in good company in the middle of the night, right?

June 12th, 2007 at 9:21 am

Riv,

So true! I was laying in bed at 2am thinking of calling a meeting of all of humanity so that I could convince everyone to care. I decided that would be all it would take to make things better, to just get everyone to care.

June 12th, 2007 at 9:31 am

12. kittyhox says:

My husband is addicted to the Discovery Channel and similar channels. He knows he isn’t allowed to share the content of any dooms-day programs with me.

Except a few nights ago when he couldn’t sleep because of some program on the sun. Something about max point being 12 years vs. 11.

My rule of thumb is that if there is nothing I can do about it, I don’t want to know!

If there is something I can do about it (global warming, for example), I will listen and act, accordingly.

But if NOT, I’d prefer to live in ignorance.

My fears tend to focus on axe murders, serial killers, and child nappers. That’s what I lay awake at night imagining. Sigh.

June 12th, 2007 at 10:14 am

Wait, wait, wait… all I need to know is whether or not any of this effects the world’s supply of chocolate and wine. If not, then its all fluff to me.

But you’re right. I do worry a tad bit more about the world of tomorrow now that I’m populating it. But really, y’all should be more worried about THAT than anything else… More little Shalees running around the world… Bwah ha ha ha (evil laugh)

June 12th, 2007 at 10:24 am

14. Jessica says:

Oh great scotts…why did you have to share that…now I’m off to google it so I can get all the facts and worry some more!

June 12th, 2007 at 10:26 am

15. mcewen says:

As I age I have more sympathy with my mother who refuses to watch the news – it’s always soooo depressing.
      Cheers

June 12th, 2007 at 10:38 am

16. Ellen says:

If you didn’t worry you wouldn’t be a Mom. Can’t have one without the other. I myself just went through the whole “what school is best” for my son. That kept me awake nights for weeks.

June 12th, 2007 at 12:12 pm

17. Annie says:

I guess we worry more when we have more to lose. I had no worries when I was single and the same with my husband. But being in love brought out our worst worries for each other. We recently moved to a new house and the moving people we had were pretty shady. The night we moved to our new house, hubby seemed restless and in the morning he showed me a knife (back from our yellowstone hiking days) which he had put under the bed for defending us in case of intruders. And I thought I was the chicken little of the family. I can’t imagine how we would be when we have kids. God help them!

June 12th, 2007 at 12:28 pm

18. TERRI says:

Nice Blog! I know, I know always something to worry about. Then, we think about our worries in the big grand scheme of things and our worries seem smaller. My worries are like yours….will my boy have his pacifer given up by age two, will he learn to eat without utensils soon, will he learn to use his inside voice at the library…….etc

June 12th, 2007 at 1:57 pm

19. shelly says:

Don’t be scared… come on over to my blog today — I’m having a karaoke party! bring drinks. It will be safe, I padded the walls.

June 12th, 2007 at 4:01 pm

20. Amy says:

Instead of saying “Yes Ma’am” my girls have always said to me “Yes, Your Majesty” which I encourage. I like the O-Kay Captian variation.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what it said b/c I plugged my ears, closed my eyes and hummed loudly through the whole thing – that works right?

June 12th, 2007 at 4:26 pm

21. TaunaLen says:

Still laughing at “Okay Captain!” thanks for the giggle.

~TaunaLen

June 12th, 2007 at 5:28 pm

22. Stacey says:

Does he really say Okay Captain? That is just too cute!

June 14th, 2007 at 10:41 am

23. kathryn says:

Don’t forget the earthquake that’s supposed to tear apart the Northwest any day now. And the always imminent Texas chainsaw massacre.

June 14th, 2007 at 1:22 pm