• Β© Antique Mommy 2005-2017
  • They Don’t Call It The Food Of The Gods For Nothing

June 19, 2007

We were at a restaurant recently and Sean was busy playing with the poison pink/yellow/blue packets. He was angling to dump one or seven packets into his drink, my drink or anyone else’s drink that was within reach.

AM: (removing the chariot of aspartame to a nearby table): Sean, stop with the packets.

Sean: Why? Papa Ed drinks sweet tea. I want sweet tea like Papa Ed.

AM: You can have some sugar if you want, but this stuff — it’s not good for you. We don’t eat it. We only eat the natural stuff that God made.

Sean: Oh! Like Cheetos!

AM: Touche my friend. Well played.

1. Kelly says:

Such a bright boy πŸ™‚

June 19th, 2007 at 8:36 am

2. Everyday Mommy says:

Boy, are you in trouble πŸ˜‰

June 19th, 2007 at 8:39 am

3. Kara says:

LOL!

June 19th, 2007 at 9:09 am

4. Janssen says:

WOW, that cracked me up! Your boy is so cute.

And I’m right there with you – that fake stuff freaks me out.

June 19th, 2007 at 9:13 am

5. WeevilMaw says:

I call splenda “the bologna of sugar” it’s all the leftover junk they didn’t want to put in the real gooooood sugar. Then someone working for big sugar decided they could make even more ca$hola if they used the leftovers and said it was better for us all to use the leftovers that really weren’t good enough in the first place.

Scarey smart boy you have there, better watch out, things are going to be even more interesting as he grows.

June 19th, 2007 at 9:28 am

6. Robbin says:

Splenda addict here. With a family full of diabetics on my husband’s side, we are more alert to the dangers of the real stuff.

June 19th, 2007 at 9:51 am

7. MotherPie says:

Who needs to keep a baby journal to remember things that kids say when you can keep it on the blog.

The food that God made… does he eat Spinache? My mom said, “Who wants to have green cheeks,” when told it would put color in her cheeks.

Out of the mouths of babes. Truly.

June 19th, 2007 at 10:34 am

8. Beck says:

I did not know that Cheetos are God’s Food, but I am not a bit surprised – they are the tastiness, as my poor, Cheetos-deprived children will sadly tell you.

June 19th, 2007 at 10:41 am

9. Patois says:

Well played indeed!

June 19th, 2007 at 10:57 am

10. Karen says:

Latest prayer from my three year old:
      Dear Jesus, fank you fo’ all de popsicles. Amen”

June 19th, 2007 at 11:06 am

11. Karen says:

Latest prayer from my three year old:
      Dear Jesus, fank you fo’ all de popsicles. Amen”

June 19th, 2007 at 11:07 am

12. Quirky says:

God bless Cheetos! They got me through countless 4am study sessions in college. Them there’s brain food!

June 19th, 2007 at 11:07 am

Good heavens Karen, I bet that made God smile. It did me.

June 19th, 2007 at 11:09 am

14. jen elslager says:

LOL! Gotta love his powers of reasoning!

Sidenote: Aspartame and splenda are horrific. For all the diabetics, try Stevia. It’s much better for you.

June 19th, 2007 at 11:28 am

15. Big Mama says:

He is wise beyond his years and a boy after my own heart.

June 19th, 2007 at 11:46 am

16. Merci says:

I’ve tried Stevia, nasty stuff.
      πŸ™ I’ll have to stick with the Splenda.

June 19th, 2007 at 11:48 am

17. jean says:

Ohh boy! What a smart kid. As my mother would say, “he knows which side his bread is buttered on”.
      jean

June 19th, 2007 at 11:50 am

18. jean says:

jean

June 19th, 2007 at 11:50 am

You’d better not put him into debate later. Or maybe you should. He would kill the other kids in the improptu!

(And amen to the dogging on the fake sweetners!)

June 19th, 2007 at 11:57 am

20. Jan says:

It’s a tough choice, I know–but as a diabetic, I shouldn’t have the sugar. I don’t care for the pink stuff, and stevia tastes like licorice, so I use Splenda.

June 19th, 2007 at 12:17 pm

21. sheilah says:

You mean fluorescent orange cheese is not God made??!!!

June 19th, 2007 at 12:49 pm

22. chilihead says:

Ooooo! That boy is SMART. And he can come sit by me any time.

June 19th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

23. Rocks In My Dryer says:

You’ve got you work cut out for you with that one….

June 19th, 2007 at 12:53 pm

24. Deborah Li says:

So cute!! Cheetos are the best! My boyfriends gives those to me… how loving. who needs flowers want u got cheetos!

June 19th, 2007 at 1:13 pm

25. Julie says:

I’m so glad to find you. You are so fun and your thoughts are right up my alley. We have been struggling to “naturalize” our lives for awhile and are getting ready to take it to the extreme and move out of the city.

Also, I cut back on the sugar in my sweet tea by mixing sugar and stevia. It cuts the taste of the stevia, cuts the amount of sugar you are getting, and still tastes good.

June 19th, 2007 at 1:18 pm

26. Kilikina says:

Hahaha, that makes me laugh!

June 19th, 2007 at 2:00 pm

27. YewNorkBabe says:

Wow, he’s a smart one. You are gonna have your hands full!!!!

June 19th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

28. Blog Antagonist says:

You gotta love a kid with a good sense of irony. He’s a smart lil fella that Sean.

June 19th, 2007 at 2:47 pm

29. T with Honey says:

Isn’t it amazing how moments like that make you proud and grate on your nerves all at the same time?

June 19th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

30. Sabrina says:

So funny! I agree with you, I steer clear of the little packets of death myself.

June 19th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

31. Dianne says:

So did God make mac n cheese out of similar ingredients as those found in Cheetos! They are the same color, after all. πŸ˜€

June 19th, 2007 at 4:32 pm

32. The Small Scribbler says:

We avoid the poison too but we started with the Cheetos and worked our way backward. One of our kids had rash around her eyes and mouth, a clear runny nose, and an asthamtic cough for several years that we could not get to the bottom of. After many allergy tests which turned up nothing, God finally showed us that she was allergic to sodium phosphate…which is in the cheese powder in Cheetos. The rash, the runny nose and the cough disappeared. This turned discovery turned me in to an All Natural Mama.

Kate

June 19th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

33. Kacey says:

God may not have made Cheetos, but God Blessed Texas! (when He put Sean there)
      I agree with the no artificial sweetners — normal people don’t need to use fake stuff. Aspartame came out with a gumball one year and the next year it was in everything. That was just too much, too fast, so I have avoided it ever since.

June 19th, 2007 at 7:01 pm

34. wordgirl says:

What??? God didn’t make Cheetos? Where is this evil information coming from?

June 19th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

35. Kathy Kelley says:

I predict a career for him at Frito Lay. πŸ˜€

June 20th, 2007 at 8:12 am

36. Babystepper says:

Don’t forget the wild hot dogs and bologna roaming the plains.

I go hunt me up some of those every week or so.

June 20th, 2007 at 10:38 am

37. bee says:

Takes after his mommy, does he?!

June 20th, 2007 at 11:53 am

38. painted maypole says:

yes, I believe there is a biblical story about a mother and her young child wandering hungry through the park for 40 minutes, and low and behold, God provided them with Cheetos from heaven. But they were not allowed to save any for the next day, so they were forced to eat them all, and then lick the cheesy goodness from their fingers, for there were no clean restrooms in sight

June 20th, 2007 at 9:28 pm

39. Elaine says:

Just as an aside to the natural goodness, have you tried the Natural Cheetos? They are so much better than the orange ones and have less junk in them (not sure they’d count as healthy, but you have to start somewhere). I was a huge regular Cheetos fan before buying the Natural brand (still made by Frito Lay). Enjoy your boy!

June 20th, 2007 at 9:35 pm