• What I Said

June 28, 2007

What I said:  Done with the milk?
    What I meant:  Would you pleeeez not leave the milk out?
    What I wanted to say:  Stop leaving the damn milk out.

What I said:  I need to go to the store (sigh).
    What I meant:  I have to defrost or chop something for dinner and I don’t feel like it.
    What I wanted to say:  I’m not really hungry. Y’all are on your own for dinner.

What I said:  Are these papers important?
    What I meant:  These papers have been on my kitchen counter for a week and you need to move them. Now.
    What I wanted to say:  I’m throwing these papers away.

What I said:  Can I make you a sandwich?
    What I meant:  Do you have to spread the contents of the fridge and pantry across the entire kitchen to make a measly sandwich?
    What I wanted to say:  Get out of my kitchen before I turn on you with a spatula.

What I said:  Thanks for fixing my computer.
    What I meant:   I love how you take care of me.
    What I wanted to say:  I’m glad I married you even if you leave the milk out.

1. Marie says:

Very sweet. And I soooo relate. Why can’t they just be perfect, like us? 😉

June 28th, 2007 at 9:19 am

2. Jeana says:

Love it.

June 28th, 2007 at 9:28 am

3. Rachel May says:

*looks over shoulder* Were you in my head recently? Because I could swear this is exactly me you’re describing in this post.

I especially like the last one. 🙂

June 28th, 2007 at 9:31 am

4. Babystepper says:

Oh, so very true.

Here’s mine:

What I said: What is that burner set on, sweetheart?

What I meant: Are you cooking things on the super-crispy-high setting again?!?

What I wanted to say: I don’t care if you’re an engineer! You are not automatically the most knowledgeable about any piece of machinery in my kitchen.

Until the garbage disposal breaks down, of course, then it’s all him. =)

June 28th, 2007 at 9:38 am

5. Julie says:

Amen.

June 28th, 2007 at 9:42 am

6. bee says:

You nailed it!

June 28th, 2007 at 10:07 am

7. mamabeck says:

It’s the carnivore in you comin’ out, babe! 😉

Another Amen from here.

b

June 28th, 2007 at 10:47 am

8. Sarah S. says:

GIRL! I am SO there! All of it!

June 28th, 2007 at 10:49 am

9. Clemntine says:

What I typed: LOL!
      What I meant: I love coming here because what you write makes me smile.
      What I wanted to say: As usual, another few moments well spent in Blogdom.

June 28th, 2007 at 11:02 am

What I said: What Clemntine typed – all of it.
      What I meant: What Clentine said only quadruple it to infinity.
      What I wanted to say: Can I be like you when I grow up?

June 28th, 2007 at 11:10 am

11. wordgirl says:

Unfortunately for everyone around me, I sometimes skip Steps One and Two…and go directly to saying whatever I wanted to say.

June 28th, 2007 at 11:25 am

12. Jen says:

I hear ya! I want to say that second one at least 3 times a week but I’m afraid to think of what they would eat without me around.

June 28th, 2007 at 11:45 am

13. Annie says:

It is so true it’s not even funny. No..Maybe…well YES It IS funny.

June 28th, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Yeah. . .that’s about it. And, of course, it we always BEGAN with “What I said” rather than “What I wanted to say,” the world would be a nicer place. 🙂 Loved this post. (again)

June 28th, 2007 at 12:04 pm

15. Jennifer B says:

How do you do it? You understand “wifedom” and “motherdom” so well and express it beautifully. You one funny sista!

Can you relate to this one:

What I said: I have no idea where that shirt is.
      What I meant: You don’t need to wear that 1980’s obnoxious shirt anymore anyway.
      What I wanted to say: I got rid of it because I’m too embarrased for you to wear that in public.
      Hee Hee!

June 28th, 2007 at 12:04 pm

16. Tracey/Real Estate Girl says:

That is so true…except I usually say what I wanted to say…not very good at hiding my true feelings!

You are so funny—I really look forward to reading your posts every day!

June 28th, 2007 at 12:10 pm

17. Katiebod (Rose are Red, Violets are Violet) says:

ab.sol.lute.ly priceless!

June 28th, 2007 at 12:18 pm

18. Katiebod (Rose are Red, Violets are Violet) says:

what I typed: was misspelled
      what I meant type: ab.so.lute.ly priceless! 🙂

June 28th, 2007 at 12:19 pm

19. edj says:

But I’m sure that you managed to convey your REAL meaning in your tone of voice. 😉 I always manage to as well.

June 28th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

20. Blog Antagonist says:

Like so much of what you write, it’s terribly funny because you’ve so perfectly captured the way so many of us feel. I had to laugh, because I saw my self in your post. Sometimes, I wonder why I don’t just say what I mean.

June 28th, 2007 at 12:32 pm

21. shuey6 says:

What He said: I’m going golfing tomorrow
      What I said: Great, you could use the break!
      What I meant: Don’t you think I need a break?!
      What I wanted to say: I am sooo jealous!

Your blog is so fun. Goes great with my coffee in the morning.

June 28th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Yes, edj, you are right. Somehow when you hiss say “CAN I MAKE YOU A SANDWICH!?” through gritted teeth, it just doesn’t sound like you really mean you want to make a sandwich.

June 28th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

23. MamaLady says:

Did you husband go to the same filing, opening the mail school mine did. My counters are always full of papers. AND he had the gall to tell me to keep the counters completely dry so his papers are safe.
      Many times I’m tempted to let the boy child accidently spill something on the counters. But I love the man too much to do that. But it IS tempting!

June 28th, 2007 at 1:36 pm

24. Elizabeth says:

You.are.hilarious. And right on the money.

June 28th, 2007 at 1:44 pm

25. Theresa says:

Yes Ma’am! Have said/thought/wanted to say all of the above and much, much more. Unfortunately, I’m not always good at saying the right thing, sometimes I just fast forward and say what I wanted to say in the first place. Not always good for family relationships!

June 28th, 2007 at 2:03 pm

26. Jen says:

I have been reading this since Feb. and I love it. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to write. It is a great ministry and It makes me excited to be a mom someday.

June 28th, 2007 at 2:05 pm

27. jean says:

Seriously, you have to stop eavesdropping at my house.

I have these same conversations seemly every hour. I would love to know how you can take something so annoying and make it into something I can laugh at? I wonder if my husband would even see the humor in it? Probably not. But thanks for the laugh!

June 28th, 2007 at 2:56 pm

28. Grace says:

Well, now isn’t that the truth!

June 28th, 2007 at 3:02 pm

29. BOSSY says:

Here’s the problem: Bossy doesn’t filter anything she says so it’s sort of like living with someone with Tourette’s Syndrome.

June 28th, 2007 at 3:11 pm

30. Kathy/ Lessons from the Laundry says:

So true! I get “the look” if I say what I really wanted to say.

June 28th, 2007 at 3:39 pm

31. Carl says:

As a man I’d just like to say one thing…

I’m so guilty of each of these…

June 28th, 2007 at 3:45 pm

32. Clemntine says:

Carl for President.

June 28th, 2007 at 4:01 pm

33. Teresa says:

What I said: Are you kidding? – absolutely NOTHING. What if he has the brilliant idea to reciprocate with his own clever dialogue?

What I meant (by saying nothing): I can dish it out but I can’t take it. So keep the lip zipped.

What I wanted to say: Honey, come read what AM wrote today! Maybe something in her clever way with words will penetrate your thick (but loveable)head.

AM, you scare me – being inside my head like that! Thanks for your insight and assurance that all of us are alike in LOTS of ways.

Teresa G.

June 28th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

34. Laura says:

What a great post! We know what we mean, but do we know what our kids hear?

June 28th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

35. AbsolutelyBananas says:

Love it. Soooo true.

June 28th, 2007 at 6:45 pm

36. Linda says:

Been there; thought that. You very, very clever girl!!

June 28th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

37. Elaine says:

What I said: Very cute.
      What I meant: Must go rack brain now to think of clever blog post
      What I wanted to say: Can’t I just copy and paste this into my own blog?!
      -e.

June 28th, 2007 at 10:29 pm

38. Sarah says:

Did you hide a tiny mind reading camera in my kitchen? Because I have quite recently had all of these thoughts.

June 28th, 2007 at 11:25 pm

39. Sally says:

Love it! We have all been through this, but we love our men anyway!! (I’m sure they realize how perfect we are, right????)

June 29th, 2007 at 7:37 am

40. Steff says:

what i said: we dont have a lot of extra money for that right now

what i meant: we are BROKE

What i wanted to say: what are you thinking buying a 500$ (toy) oops… welder right now we need to buy other things for the house *like food and gas* and you can only use that thing 4 days a month and its going to cost us another HOW MUCH to even be able to use the %$#^$^% thing?????

June 30th, 2007 at 9:11 am

41. dcrmom says:

Love this! And I’m still diggin’ your new template!! So fun.

June 30th, 2007 at 10:11 am

42. Just Mom says:

I like this post so much I keep coming back to it. A very clever way of expressing what so many of us do/say/feel.

July 1st, 2007 at 9:32 am

43. Mama Pajama says:

I love this. I’ve started noticing all the times we do this in a day…funny.

July 5th, 2007 at 4:47 pm