• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Flip Flops

July 10, 2007

squirrelWhen Sean was just a little guy, maybe around 18-months-old, we were sitting on the floor by the door that looks out into our back yard, watching the squirrels play hide and seek and flit and zip around.

One squirrel had regrettably decided to bury an acorn in a fire ant pile. When he discovered his mistake, the poor little fella began erratically flipping and flopping like a crazed acrobat trying to shake off the angry ants. Having been bitten by my fair share of fire ants, I felt sorry for him, but at the same time it was quite amusing to watch.

“Sean, look at the squirrel flip flopping!” I said. He began laughing hysterically until tears rolled down his cheeks. “Fwip fwops!” he repeated over and over as he pointed to the back yard. It was the funniest two words he had ever heard and the more he said it, the funnier it got. And the more he laughed, the more I laughed at him laughing.

And to this day, he still calls squirrels flip flops. It has become part of our family’s own unique vernacular that makes absolutely no sense to anyone else.

The other day at the playground, Sean exclaimed, “Mommy! Look at the flip flops!” Confused, all the other mothers looked at their feet.

I didn’t even try to explain.

Does your family have any “special” words?

1. AuntieB says:

Ours are “Kah-Tah” (washcloth), “eleselpet” (elephant), and “Mada-mada-may” (watermelon).

On a side note, my niece used to put the “ah” sound in front of EVERYTHING. My real name starts with an A and ends with the sound of another letter. I guess she thought we were doing that just like her. So, that’s how I became AuntieB. Well, at least I thought it was cute.

I’ll be the only AuntieB in history that her real name doesn’t start with a B.

July 10th, 2007 at 8:31 am

2. Krickett says:

When my daughter was into dinosaurs we called the cranes and blue herons flying overhead – baby pterodactyls. We still do. They look very prehistoric when they fly.

At our towns 4th of July parade, as we were sitting on the curb waiting for it to start, I looked up and saw a crane flying. I pointed out to Molly – “Look, a baby pterodactyl” – the people sitting next to us took note, some chuckled. Some had confused looks on their faces.

We will always call them baby pterodactyls. I hope you’ll see one soon – think of us in Ohio if you do.

July 10th, 2007 at 8:47 am

3. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Ever since she could talk, my daughter called her pacifier a “wajz.”

“Pacifier,” we would say, holding out her more favored possession.

“Wajz,” she would say to us, reaching out to take her … wajz with a look on her face that clearly said, “Idiots. That’s what I just said.”

And ever since, it’s been a wajz in our family. Our son never even heard the word pacifier.

July 10th, 2007 at 8:52 am

4. Damon Crawley says:

My son (who is now 7) had a couple when he was Sean’s age. ‘Snocks’ were socks, ‘Pligget’ was for Piglett (as in Winnie the Pooh), and ‘bunnies’ for hamburger and hot dog buns.

My daughter (who is 2 1/2) says ‘ship shops’ for flip flops.

They both say ‘bankie’ for their blankets.

July 10th, 2007 at 8:55 am

5. Big Mama says:

When Caroline was little, she heard us say, “It’s dark in here”, which, in her mind, she heard as “darken”. So she’d say, “Oh, it’s getting a little darken”. Now, we always refer to nighttime as “darken”.

July 10th, 2007 at 9:00 am

6. Jill says:

My Daughter had a pacifier from birth up to the week before her fourth birthday. I would write her name on it with a sharpie to take to daycare. She started calling it her “name”. If she could not find it she would yell, “I want my name!!!” We got some strange looks when we were out in public.

July 10th, 2007 at 9:07 am

7. boomama says:

When A. was a little over one, he saw a stuffed animal in a local bookstore that reminded him of Rosita on Sesame Street. Ever since then, he calls that particular book store “Rosita.” Jim Henson would be so proud.

July 10th, 2007 at 9:13 am

8. Donna says:

When our oldest grandson was about two, he was always taking off his shoes and then forgetting where they were. We were getting ready to go to church one time and we couldn’t find his shoes, as usual. “Arick,” I said, “what do you think happened to your shoes?”

“I dunno; a robber must have stole them,” he said, serious as a heart attack.

So now, almost twenty years later, when Cliff and I are looking for some misplaced item and can’t find it, we say, “That man who steals shoes must have taken it.”

July 10th, 2007 at 9:40 am

9. MotherPie says:

Oh, those fire ants. The horny toads are still around in NM because the fire ants aren’t really here. I don’t know why. Far ants, as they say in Texas.

arse. Horse. h ahaha

July 10th, 2007 at 9:40 am

10. Dianne says:

My oldest son called vehicles from the 20’s chippies. I don’t know why or where that came from, but it worked. We were at a parade one year and we’d say “Look at that chippy!”. The little boy next to us looked at us like we were aliens. That was the day I explained to the boys that chippy was just a family word. I don’t think they believed me and we continued using it for years.

My younger son would stand on his head on the couch (legs up on the back of the couch) and instead of saying he was upside down, he said he was “tip side over.”

July 10th, 2007 at 9:47 am

11. Jennifer B says:

Well, as you know, my youngest refers to her favorite bear as “Grrr”, as in “the sound a bear makes”. My oldest called bears “Grrr” when she was learning to talk as well. Yet, in our house, every stuffed bear or picture of a bear is referred to as “Grrr” by everyone. Her favorite bear has transitioned to “GrrrGrrr”, and everyone has followed her lead. All other bears, just Grrr.

July 10th, 2007 at 9:50 am

12. Susan says:

Jackson goes to sleep with a white noise machine running. He has always referred to it as his “dreams”. I don’t know why. The whole family calls it that now though.
      Jonathan used to call his tennis shoes his “faster shoes” because, you know, they made him run faster. So when we needed him to find his shoes, that is what we said too.

July 10th, 2007 at 10:00 am

13. Clemntine says:

When I was a toddler, and my lifelog love affair with ice cream was in its early stages, I called the neighborhood ice cream van driver the “Wha-ki Man” because he would lean out the window and say, “What kind? What kind?” to the kids. To me, he was the Wha-ki Man, and the stuff he sold was wha-ki. To this day, ice cream is referred to in our family as wha-ki.

July 10th, 2007 at 10:02 am

14. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Yep. Our family calls diarrhea “mean poopy”. Aren’t you glad you asked?

July 10th, 2007 at 10:22 am

15. Terri says:

When my oldest daughter was three or four we frequented a local Mexican restaurant. She always got refried beans and rice to eat. She began referring to the restaurant as the “bean restaurant” so that it is what we call it to this day, and she is now eight. Our close friends know this so when we say let’s go to the “bean restaurant” they understand; however, to those who aren’t in the know we have to explain that there isn’t a new restaurant in town they’ve never heard of, but just our family’s way of referring to our favorite Mexican restaurant.

July 10th, 2007 at 10:35 am

16. Starnes Friend says:

My oldest son called ambulances “meaties”. We could never figure out why. And when we would drive by O’Hare Airport he would shout – “There’s the airplaneport!”

Growing up we had to adjust the rabbit ears so that the TV picture would come in clearly. When it was finally clear my dad would announce that it was “coming in like a bomb.” Made perfect sense to me – until I used that phrase at college!

July 10th, 2007 at 10:38 am

17. Mary says:

My little grandson had been with his great grandmother(my Mom) for the day.He was about eighteeen months old.I picked him up after I got off of work, as we were then going to keep him for the night. Don’t remember where his Mommy and Daddy were.He proudly showed me how he and Great Grammie had been blowing soap bubbles. He called them “Baubles”. Mike and I decided to take him to eat dinner, as it was a Friday night and we had both had long work weeks,were tired, and I knew the little guy was getting hungry.It was a buffet style Chinese food and I was trying to find something besides rice for him to eat. I saw jello squares and put a couple of red squares of jello on his plate.
      When I got back to our table where he was sitting in the highchair beside Pappa, he was so excited to see the jello. As I sat it down and it wiggled, as jello does, our little guy became quite excited, shouting”Baubles, Baubles”. He is now two and I asked him the other day if he wanted some jello. he said NO.
      I then said ‘you want some bubbles?” and he shouted OK(he never says yes, he says”OK” instead).Jello is called bubbles by everyone in the family since that night at the resturant.
      My youngest son always said “Pack pack” for back pack.
      One time my youngest daughter(who was about three), stood by the game drawers crying for “Wella Wallas”. After much searching we found the yellow marbles in a game and that was what she meant.

July 10th, 2007 at 10:53 am

18. Kvetch says:

At our house we use the MOTE-KIN to change the tv channels. You know, the reMOTE CONtrol. And my kids are 15 and 12. It’s just our family way!

When my daughter was little she came up with “lasternight” — a very ingenius combo of yesterday and last night – don’t you think?

July 10th, 2007 at 10:53 am

19. Lisa says:

Yep…my youngest son was fishing with us when he was about 18 months old. We were fishing for bream and using corks. Trying to make him understand that you needed to pull up your line when the cork went under we said “you’ve got a nibble”. We later realized that he had begun calling the cork a ‘nibble’. Still smiling at that memory as I look at that little boy now…he’s 20 years old!

July 10th, 2007 at 10:56 am

20. Jan says:

In my family (extended family) a child’s favorite blanket was called a nonny- don’t know why. My son (the youngest) only knew the word nonny, not blanket.
      And that place you go and swim in the ocean? It’s called the bleach.

July 10th, 2007 at 11:27 am

21. wordgirl says:

Oohhh, the memories this brings back! My youngest son didn’t know color words like beige or white when he was small. What he did know were flavors…chocolate or vanilla. And so white Christmas lights on a house became vanilla lights. White construction paper became vanilla paper, which was reinforced by the term “manila” paper. Long after he figured out his colors, he still frequently lapsed into using the word “vanilla” and he did so until he was almost 10 years old. We didn’t correct him because it seemed so precious to us.

Other words our kids used stemmed from mis-understandings of pronunciation or a jumbling of the meaning or use of a term. First Aid Kits were “health boxes”. Woodpeckers were “peckerworkers” (and we still use that one). Thumbtacks were “fingertacks” and hard hats were “hard man hats”…which still gives us a chuckle. I have all of these written down in a notebook and the kids have a blast laughing over the things they used to say.

July 10th, 2007 at 11:27 am

22. Jill says:

The newest “special” word with my 19m old is “bubble” for the ceiling fan. Have no idea why. The funniest is “daddy” for a bottle of Corona. Totally know why. When I was little we used French dressing a lot and my mom would say “only put a little on your salad” and so I called French dressing pudda-ludda-lon.

July 10th, 2007 at 11:46 am

23. bee says:

Just Bob… everything’s Bob right now!

July 10th, 2007 at 12:10 pm

24. bonniebeth says:

My oldest son called a motorcyle a “nanoo” – no idea why.
      My two youngest, ages 5 and 6, call their cupholders on their car seats “handcups”. They both also call any sort of a gold medal on a ribbon or necklace a “golden”.

July 10th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

25. annie says:

I love when kids have their own language, too cute.
      My oldest used to say “paw nailish” for nail polish. It was so cute we just kept calling that for years. My son would say something ‘scarfed’ him when he was hurt. Like, I fell off my bike and ‘scarfed’ my leg. I like that one too. It’s just so cute the way they say it.

July 10th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

26. Laurie says:

Our daughter, also our youngest, began calling videos “duckies” after watching a Dinky Duck video. For many years we would call all videos duckies. It was fun to see people’s expressions when my teenage sons would ask, “Can we watch a ducky when we get home?

July 10th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

27. Poppy says:

My 2 year granddaughter says anything that isn’t happening tomorrow will be happening somemorrow. As in some day. We’ll go to the beach somemorrow. We’ll see Santa Claus somemorrow. Cracks me up.

July 10th, 2007 at 12:42 pm

28. Common Mom says:

Janamas – my 4 year old has called her pajamas “janamas” ever since she could talk. “Mom, I want feet janamas today.”

July 10th, 2007 at 12:55 pm

29. kelli says:

Jonathan said “thingers” (fingers) until he was 9. Our fav though, is how he got his nickname.

He was really mad about something he had done, when he was about 3. He declared “I’m such a ‘mumsch'”.

That has stuck to this day.

July 10th, 2007 at 1:41 pm

30. Lisa says:

My kids have lots of strange phrases and pronunciations, but my favorite mistake we have adopted as family vernacular is their insistence that shredded cheese is “rice”. They like to eat moons with rice (tortillas with shredded cheese), and if we have REAL rice, we have to specify whether it’s white or yellow. They never want white. :)

July 10th, 2007 at 1:42 pm

31. Brandi says:

My 2 nephews and niece kept talking about this big huge tomato blower that was coming. They saw it right there on mommy’s computer. WEEKS later while watching the evening news we figured out they were talking about a Tornado Storm. Now when it is tornado season we are always on the look out for blowing tomatoes!!

July 10th, 2007 at 1:56 pm

32. rahrah says:

We have a lot of funny family words…ephalent for elephant, ogert for yogurt, but the funniest ones came from my sister who mixed up her syllables. The first time she saw snow we told her “SNOw” she proptly repeated “NOse”. She still calls it “Nose”.

July 10th, 2007 at 2:29 pm

33. Etta says:

Most of my son’s interesting versions of words are gone, except for “gabloons.” That’s what he calls balloons. He’s four now, and I think he knows he’s saying it wrong, but he still calls them gabloons anyway.

July 10th, 2007 at 2:47 pm

34. Etta says:

Oh, and also, anything that happened in the past was “last night.” It could have been two years ago, but it was still “last night.”

July 10th, 2007 at 2:48 pm

35. Sharri says:

When I was little, I couldn’t pronounce Refrigerator, so until I left for college, we kept things cold in the Erfaderder. (Erf-a-der-der)
      Now that I have kids of my own, we eat zeepa (pizza) and mexers (pudding…came from “mexing” together the powder and milk), and my youngest son finally gave up his baabaa (pacifier). When they were nursing, they drank “TJ”. That little gem came from my husband. At first he called it “boob juice”, then changed “boob” to… uhm… a less flattering word, then it was just shortened to “TJ”… sad, I know!

July 10th, 2007 at 2:59 pm

36. SG says:

Since my first was 2 we have had a “buffalo”(buffet) in our dining room. It shocks visitors when I tell the kids to go get the good forks out of the buffalo. We are alos known to sleep in Jamamas instead of Pajamas and we put on sunscream instead of sunscreen. I will be very sad the day any of these things start being called by their real names around here!

July 10th, 2007 at 3:15 pm

37. SG says:

Oh and we are all very aware of the tormado sirens that go off on the first Friday of the month. I have a one year old now so I am sure we will add dozens of new words to our vernacular in the months and years to come.

July 10th, 2007 at 3:19 pm

38. Jenny says:

I’ll share a couple of ours.

When my daughter was 2, she called Santa, “Santa Closet”. She is 6 now and the phrase she still says that cracks me up is “amn’t I”… “Amn’t I a smart girl, Mom?”.

We used to live next door to a family that had two yappy dogs that would.not.stop.barking. My husband used to stick his head out the door and yell “shut-up” to the dogs. My 18 month old thought that was the word for those critters, so he kept calling all dogs “shu-ups”. His other unique word is “shong” and that’s what he says when he wants some lunch. We think it might be his way of saying sandwich, but we’re not sure. People do look at us weird when we say “Boo, you wanna go home and get some shong?”. :)

Fun post and comments too!

July 10th, 2007 at 4:09 pm

39. Janet (aka JT) says:

To make chocolate milk, I used to use a special diet drink shaker that I had. To this day, chocolate milk is “shake shake.”

One we’ve been using lately: my daughter recently told us she wanted us to get tickets to “Go Diego Go: Live” and that it was in “Sam Namtomnios.” So my hubby and I have been refering to San Antonio as “Sam Namtomnios” whether the kids are in the room or not.

July 10th, 2007 at 4:17 pm

40. mcewen says:

Nice one!

We have ‘noo noo’ from the Teletubbies which covers all kinds of vacuums [hoovers] from the big ones to the dust busters.
      Cheers

July 10th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

41. Karen says:

my daughter H says sunscream..because she will scream if she gets burnt. My husband asked me once to look at the “back of his forhead.” meaning the back of his head. And instead of the hick-ups they are called….whodathoutits…slow down it comes out..who would have thought it.

July 10th, 2007 at 4:38 pm

42. Nancy says:

So funny to read all these! The ones that come to mind for me are when my niece used to proudly show people her “scarf” which was actually a scar from an emergency surgery she had as a newborn. My brother had a few when he was little — “the day be-after-fore” (was that the day before yesterday, tomorrow??) and the “dobnoor” (door knob). Our daughter’s pacifier was a “passipass.” Several years ago our neighborhood was invaded by cicadas (those annoying red-eyed bugs that come back every 13 years!), and all the adults jokingly referred to them as “quesadillas”. We later all got a laugh when our neighbors ordered quesadillas at a Mexican restaurant and their little girl announced that SHE would not be eating any of those bugs!

July 10th, 2007 at 5:10 pm

43. Stephanie says:

This story first of all, made me laugh. Which then made my mom come in the room wondering what I was laughing about while she was slaving away with the vacuum cleaner. As I relayed the reason for my laughter my mom told me a story about my uncle, her younger brother, who had a few words of his own. Just to name a few: whatsupdoc for carrots thanks to Bugs, gasfew for the tricycle that didn’t actually use any gas and helliwopper for helicopter. We had another good laugh at that one.

July 10th, 2007 at 5:55 pm

44. JanB says:

My kids tend to say words that we don’t really want others to know are spoken in this house. As such, I can’t repeat them here. Ah, children. Ah, duct tape.

July 10th, 2007 at 6:29 pm

45. Susan says:

I came along late in my mother’s life, but 20 years earlier when my sister was just a toddler, my mother would regularly refer to a bowel movement as a “B.M.” (common reference, of course) — even when talking to my sister. Cindy, being so young, combined the acronym into one word that sounded like “beam.”

Unfortunately, the expression stuck. So, as a very young child, it wasn’t uncommon for my mother to ask me if I needed to have a “beam” or just go tinkle. (No #1 or #2 for us! Nope, had to be more embarrassing than that!)

During my early Sunday School years, imagine my confusion upon learning the song, “Jesus Wants Me for a Sun BEAM.”

July 10th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

46. Karen says:

There are so many…sheesh. The one that stands out the most at the moment happened about two months ago. My son has three given names and a last name, but we have always just called him “AJ” for short. It never occurred to us to tell him he had a “real” name, so when he discovered that wasn’t his “real” name, and it was only a “nickname” for him, he was seriously disturbed that we had kept it from him. The subject was dropped until a couple of weeks ago when he came up to me and asked me what my “knick-knack-name” was. I knew immediately what he meant and after a few giggles was able to tell him I didn’t have one. A new turn of phrase was coined…now they are knick-knack names. People think we are wierd…we don’t go out in public much.

July 10th, 2007 at 7:16 pm

47. Romie says:

We get “mommyda” which can mean either of us, both of us or only one particular one of us. Gets very confusing.

July 10th, 2007 at 7:17 pm

48. WeevilMaw says:

blankly=blanket
      mote in controller=remote control
      sunscream=sunscreen
      fluff=fart “Did someone fluff? Who fluffed?”
      windy=gassy “Are you windy? Oooh someone is windy!”
      toolit paper=toilet papaer
      pepper ally=pep rally
      cheederleaders=cheerleaders
      SamAntonio= My hubby Sam & his brother Tony to nephews

July 10th, 2007 at 7:22 pm

49. bonniebeth says:

Totally forgot that a few years ago my then three year old said “Mom , I like your red e-nails”! I had painted my toenails.

July 10th, 2007 at 7:27 pm

50. Schweers' Mom says:

My older son has always called French toast – “Giant Toast.” Most of the time I forget what the real name is as I’ve called it Giant Toast for so many years. My younger son remembers things in context and messes up many words. My favorite of his is “Wish Cracker” for Fortune Cookie. I kinda like the wish thing better, don’t you?

July 10th, 2007 at 7:57 pm

51. Teresa says:

Ever since my oldest coined the term, our family has always referred to helicopters as “hoppercoppers.” My second born did her best to grasp the complexities of the English language when she would ask, “Whobody took my toy?” If we can say somebody and nobody, then why not “whobody?”

July 10th, 2007 at 8:28 pm

52. Kim says:

We have always told my daughter “Bless You” when she sneezes. So even now that she is 7 years old, she will sneeze and tell me, “I bless-you’d!”

My niece use to call her forehead her “fork-head”.

July 10th, 2007 at 8:59 pm

53. Rehall says:

I’ve laughed my way through other postings, but I wanted to add one of my own from my own childhood (not my son’s). When I was little, I called farting “shot a bunny.” Where I got it, who knows! The incredible thing is that my folks still say that, even though I’m in my 30s (I don’t, however!).

July 10th, 2007 at 9:25 pm

54. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

Oh, this made me laugh! :)

Snuggle Bug has several “special” words, sometimes unbeknownst to us, leaving us scrambling to figure out what he’s talking about.

Case in point, the other night we were leaving a restaurant and he asked for a PICKLE. I explained that we were all done eating and there would be no pickles. He insisted that he wanted a pickle and then walked up to the register and tried to reach for a TOOTHPICK. It dawned on me that the way he pronounces toothpick sounds more like “pickle.”

Go figure!

July 10th, 2007 at 9:35 pm

55. Melissa says:

My kids have a few:
      Fruit Snacks (the ones shaped like Nemo or whatever) are called “Few-fees”, a combo of the word “chewys” which they were called at my house growing up and “Fruit”.
      Waffles are “faffles”. I still call them that even though both of them can say Waffle.
      Night gowns are “night dresses”.
      Jills blanket is her “Me-Me”.
      And my new favorite, my little guys new adjective to describe me… “Oh Mommy, your so scrantabulous”. I asked him what it meant and he said pretty and nice and helpful. It should totally be added to the dictionary.

July 10th, 2007 at 9:44 pm

56. Holly says:

i called a pacifier a “bi” when i was younger.

July 10th, 2007 at 10:11 pm

57. Laura says:

Oh my goodness! Isn’t it funny the associations that kids form? My little brother had construction cranes and alligators confused (I don’t even know why). For years he would see a crane and call it an alligator.

July 10th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

58. bonniebeth says:

It’s me again :)
      You have me remembering so many of these cute words today. Thanks.
      One of my sons called his big toe his “thumb toe”.

And many years ago my sister told my mother to get a damn “cutcher” knife after going with my dad to get a haircut…seems there was a sailor there who was telling a tale about using a damn butcher knife while in the navy. I don’t think she got to go to the barber shop with my dad anymore after that. :)

July 10th, 2007 at 10:20 pm

59. Sincerely Anna says:

We call airplane vapor trails “Buzz Lightyears”. My son asked “what’s that?” and I really had no idea what those things were called so I came up with something. And it stuck!

July 10th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

60. PowersTwinB says:

My youngest son, who is now 29, used to call pant legs “foot sleeves”….he asked, “if we call these, (showing me his sleeves on his shirt) arm sleeves, then WHY dont we call these (the pant legs) foot sleeves?” I have to admit, 29 years later, and I still think it was a very brilliant question!!!

July 10th, 2007 at 11:08 pm

61. Darthulia says:

heelhighs for highheels
      flutterbyes for butterflies one said fly butter.
      gullie gullie for milk (because that is the way it sounds going down fast)
      bee bow for pickle
      weeio weeio for radio
      piddle for pillow
      nonny nonny for ceiling fan
      new new for pacifier
      my shoes are choking me for my shoes are too tight
      a wichy for the sparkle on a lake in the sun.
      baby sparkles for Christmas tree lights.
      (I have a whole other dictionary in my head and all the kids are grown and the grandkids keep adding to the list)Gramps and I speak very strangely to each other and just today He called me from Minneapolis and told me I was the POODiest Gramma in the whole wild wood…. this is his take on one of your previous blogs.

July 10th, 2007 at 11:16 pm

62. Linda says:

Our 21 year old used to pronounce Valentines Day as Valentimes Day. It wasn’t until fourth grade, when it was a spelling word, that we were busted. She was incredulous when she got the test back and it was marked as an error. We sheepishly explained that we loved her cute little mispronunciation and let it go on a bit too long, and that in fact, her teacher was correct. She never pronounced it properly again.

July 10th, 2007 at 11:24 pm

63. Kelley says:

My youngest daughter once came to me and was very distraught because she couldn’t get rid of her hiccups. So, with her pitiful “I’m sick” tone of voice, she said, “Mommy, I’m hiccing up.”

The other one that had me cracking up was when I was doing animal mother/baby flash cards with my youngest daughter. You know… cow/calf, dog/puppy, cat/kitten… So I asked her, “What do you call a baby sheep?” Without hesitation, she blurted out, “A Beep!”

July 10th, 2007 at 11:43 pm

64. Janelle says:

My girl wants a car with an “unshade”…aka “convertible.

July 11th, 2007 at 12:04 am

65. aliann says:

When my daughter was about two we came across a display of gardening gloves in a store. She looked at it long and hard before decaring them “handsocks”. We still call gloves handsocks in our house.
      She also says “I love you into pieces!” after hearing Grammy say “I love you to pieces.”

July 11th, 2007 at 12:25 am

66. The Small Scribbler says:

Good gravy! It’s a long way to the end of the caboose here! Great topic and when it’s not OH-DARK-THIRTY, I’ll read a few of these comments and maybe we’ll steal a few ideas to add to our family dictionary.

Here’s what we came up with over the dinner table: CHICKEN MUSTARD…That would be ketchup. Chicken nuggets with ketchup became CHICKEN MUSTARD and so it remains…even on hotdogs.

July 11th, 2007 at 1:16 am

67. AngelMom says:

When my oldest child, Bryan, was about 2 years old if something was broken he would say it was brokony. I couldn’t figure out why he said that. My mom came to visit for a week and during her visit something was broken and Bryan brought it to me and I said “it’s broken honey” translated to a 2 year old, it was brokony! My mom had to point it out to me because I knew what I said and I did not say brokony! we still laugh about it today.
      Four years ago my husband my 4 children and I moved in with my mom. She was watching my children one day while I was running errands. My mom asked them what they wanted to eat for lunch. They replied belly sanan or snakes. My mom was quite confused and wasn’t sure what to make of it. She said to them if you want some of that you will have to show me what you want cause I’m not sure what it is. They looked at her and said “silly it’s right here” they showed her the bread, peanut butter and jelly (belly sanan) and the ramen noodles (snakes). They have learned since the real name of peanut butter and jelly but we still call ramen noodles snakes. My 2 year old daughter, Victoria, has a favorite stuffed cat her name is mou because everyone knows that cats say mou mou! : ) She takes mou to church and even the nursery teacher knows that mou makes her happy when nothing else can. After church the teacher says where’s your mou don’t forget your mou.

AngelMom
      Parenting

July 11th, 2007 at 1:53 am

68. Sally says:

When my 17-year-old was little, I used to ask her, “Do you want Mommy to hold ya?” so she thought the act of being picked up was called a “holdja” (she put a “j” sound in there) and she would come to me and say she thought she needed a “holdja”.
      My 12-year-old used to say “shirk” for shirt, so we still refer to shirts as “shirks”.

July 11th, 2007 at 8:11 am

69. Aimee says:

A few chestnuts from my family:

ladybugs = weggybugs
      sunscreen = sunscream
      motorcycle = mogocycle
      sweet gherkin pickles = “the ones”
      passing gas = “My hiney burped”
      bottle = bee-ba

July 11th, 2007 at 8:49 am

70. Girl Gone Wild says:

My youngest calls Kindergarten, Kicker-garten. It fits so it stuck!

July 11th, 2007 at 10:26 am

71. Kristi says:

When my oldest daughter was about 18 months, she wanted me to play with her and instead of saying ” Want to play together?”, she said ” Wanna play fourgether?”. We still say that to this day.

July 11th, 2007 at 10:28 am

72. WeevilMaw says:

Oh I heardt his one from my baby (5 yrs old) last night at the dinner table “Upslidedown.” She also says that anything that happened inthe past was last nightb or “lesterday.”

July 11th, 2007 at 11:16 am

73. Mary says:

Pacifer= Baboo
      Blanket= “Gickey” (said while sucking on a baboo and pointing to a blanket with mickey mouse on it)
      Breastfeeding=Ninna
      French Fries= Awfries
      Breakfast= Brefkest
      Smell it= fum it
      Clock= Remote Control

All of these were said by my 2 children when they were little. The older one taught them to the younger.

Just recently my daughter was sitting on a park bench holding our dog on a leash. Our dog is a Vizsla. A lady approached and said. “Oh what a pretty dog, what kind is she?” My daughter replied. “She’s a Vizsla” The woman said…Oh I’ve never heard of a “ShesaVizsla” before. My daughter still can’t believe the woman was so silly!

July 11th, 2007 at 10:39 pm

74. Net says:

Too many to list! Here’s just a few from my childhood:
      Momma: Monyfooter
      Cat: Kitty-kong-kung-kus
      David (my brother): Dabo (that’s how one of our cousin’s said it, we still say it that way)
      Lately…..
      Guitar: Gitter
      Mandolin: Mando
      Fiddle: Fido
      Banjo: Banjar
      Dobro: Bodo
      Catsup: dot-dot (we used to say, “dot, dot, dot” when we put it on food
      Farts: toots
      We use the “f” sound in front or behind words that start or end with “s”. Like snake is fnake. Somepeople say “piss” when they’re mad, we say “piff”. My youngest has a sweet little lisp and we say things like she says them. Like “Oh, that’s thad, tho thad.” (Sad, so sad) I’ll miss it when she grows out of it.

July 11th, 2007 at 11:21 pm

75. Terri says:

This is cute! I’ve enjoyed reading all of the other comments. Don’t you just love their little voices saying such cute things? Some of my family lingo is:

The Hox and the Found = The Fox and the Hound
      I’m being have (like cave)= I’m behaving
      Yeddow =yellow
      I slicked = I slipped
      cob on the corn= corn on the cob
      foppy = water (?)

It took me a long time to say these things normally, years after the kids stopped saying them. When they got older, like 7-8, they would inform me that “I don’t talk that way anymore”. I still say most of these things like they did.

July 12th, 2007 at 12:10 am

76. Amanda says:

These are too wonderful. It’s amazing how words get integrated into family vocabularies and are then carried on for years. And then to see how other people react when you say them, because to you they’re just HOW you say it!

My favorites from my childhood that have carried on:
      “hoosh”=laundry chute, because that’s the noise the clothes and towels make when you throw them down a three-storey chute!
      “Q-ees”=cotton swabs
      “hangaburg”=hamburger
      “hamgubber”=hamburger again
      “feelers”=feelings (I only use this one sometimes anymore, when someone crushes my feelers :)

And “silky-silky” is how I always referred to any kind of comforting blanket or satin or, well, silk. I don’t use that one often anymore either.

Thanks for the post.

July 12th, 2007 at 1:04 am

77. Brat E. says:

The princess I used to babysit had the hardest time with my name (Beverly). She finally settled on Buhb-a-lee. Eight years later, now able to pronounce it correctly and I’m still Buhbalee. Others that have come…….
      Flingos – Flamingos
      AllergyEaters – the algae eater fish
      bleedy eggs – sunnyside up eggs (she wants them bleedy so she can dunk her cooked bread (Toast) )

Ya’ gotta love how the smallest kids can sometimes permanently change how our families talk. LOL

brat

July 12th, 2007 at 8:14 am

78. Kit says:

I was just reading these with my three boys, and we were cracking up, and remembering some of our own:

hiccups = hippie cups
      whoopsee = oop eeps
      flip flops = slip slops
      at least = ick least
      see saw = sea salt
      hamburger = handburger
      motorcycle = moldercycle
      will you hold me? = hold you me?
      cream cheese = creen cheese

Along the line of “whobody”, my oldest son used to exclaim, “Bodies!” (sounds like buddies) when he would see anyone that he knew. And also, “Isn’t there any single body that can play with me?”

Right now our 19-month-old daughter has one word that means both “shoes” and “juice”; it sounds like “doov”. So now we’re all beginning to say, “Go find your doov” and “Do you want some more doov?”.

Thanks for all the hilarity!!

July 12th, 2007 at 11:48 am

79. Pammer says:

remomiter – calculator
      penio – flashlight
      yesternight – last night (okay, that totally makes sense)

and our personal favorite… nenordegay.

We have no idea what that refers to, though. So if we don’t know an answer to a question? It’s “nenordegay” now.

July 12th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

80. gotkids says:

Yes, this post is old, but I couldn’t resist to comment.

Woobie – (from MR. MOM) but it was my child’s blanket and her 19 year old cousin also called his blanket this, so the entire family calls blankets “Woobies”.

Papa John cheese —- Parmesan Cheese

Papa – pacifier

July 12th, 2007 at 8:16 pm

81. RosesArePink2 says:

Love your blog. My son (now 24) called matches “fire sticks” and an accident was (and still is) an “axxy”.

July 12th, 2007 at 10:15 pm

82. Aunt Murry says:

Teeter Totters which are Tater Tots.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:51 am

83. Aunt Murry says:

Guck is another one…meaning Stuck

and then there I doughy ike ooo. I don’t like you

And Murry for Mary

July 13th, 2007 at 8:54 am

84. Genni says:

Sassy, at age 2, coined the phrase “a big much” which means a larger amount of whatever. The whole family uses it now. She also came up with tizzy for her pacifier. Prissy says, “I want to hold you.” instead of “Hold me, please.” It’s one of my favorite things to hear.

July 13th, 2007 at 10:56 am

85. Leah says:

Breastfeeding was “bee”, the movies was “da woobees”, magazine was “mag-za-een”, and candles were “scandals”. The best one by far, however, was “doowectofuted”, meaning electrocuted. My son is five, so terms like this are still emerging everyday :).

July 13th, 2007 at 8:45 pm

86. Amanda says:

I meant to add these to the list.
      Jack says “bilk bilk” for chocolate milk
      “Kee Kee” for his blanket
      and my all time favorite that both said “I wanna hold you” instead of hold me. I love them all and try not to rush them into saying the right thing. They figure out the correct way fast enough.
      Amanda

July 15th, 2007 at 6:33 pm

87. Chris says:

Our elder son somehow got it in his head that a cement mixer was called a ‘mixupaser’ and so it has remained until today. He will be thirteen next month, and loves it when we remind him of his early vocabulary experimentation.

Our younger son learned to say his brother’s name and our word for ‘pacifier’ at about the same time. However, as with most toddlers, he got them mixed up. It was pretty common to hear him whining for his ‘tydoo’ only to outright reject his brother in favor of said pacifier.

One thing they BOTH did was to stand in front of us with their arms outstretched and say plaintitively ‘holdjyou’ – as in when Mommy or Daddy asks ‘Do you want me to hold you?’

July 16th, 2007 at 12:03 pm

88. Sandra D says:

My granddaughter, who’s almost three, calls M&Ms “beans” or “chockit beans.”

Play-Dough is “pink” no matter what color it is, as in “C’mon, play pink with me!”

Any kind of flying bug is a “skeedo.”

A hangnail is a “fangnail.”

Sometimes she calls me “Pa-Ma” and her Poppa “Ma-Pa.”

The best ever, though, was the night she ran around the house looking for “a**wipe.” It took us a while (and a little bit of ROFL) to figure out that she wanted her flashlight.

July 17th, 2007 at 3:15 pm

89. Punctilious says:

Two quick ones… My two year old was telling his young and female cousin he was going to show her his bootybot. We had to quickly re-assure her dad that it was only his belly button.

Construction equipment is big shovel. And sometimes they refered to construction sites as big dirt. But when my then two year old first saw the mountains he let out a huge roar, pointed and said BIG, HEAVY, DIRT.

July 18th, 2007 at 4:22 pm

90. whimsy says:

We wear “talking pants” which to outsiders I guess are called nylon running pants? I don’t know. We’ve called them talking pants for over 12 years now.

Because when my twins were little they wanted to wear the pants that “talked” when they walked.

It’s funny to see how it’s spread throughout our family.

Breasts are called Beep-Beeps and the girly parts (and I guess boy parts – but we were girls and didn’t thing about boys having parts ya know) were called “pee pee machines” I was in Kindergarten before I found out not everyone called them that.

July 20th, 2007 at 4:29 pm

91. Lizzette says:

My husband has a ton of moles so when my son noticed them one day, my husband told him they were moles. Well later on during the week, he noticed somethings on my breasts that I guess to him looked like moles, and he started calling them moles as well. So now whenever he sees nipples and areolas, he calls them “moles”. I guess it’s best only we know what he means.

July 27th, 2007 at 12:00 pm

92. carol says:

my kids all say “safe drively”, which i find charming.

August 2nd, 2007 at 4:16 pm

93. cup says:

Children talk is always fun to hear the wonderful creativity of children with the language.

We hear all kind of expressions especially when they try to say something new or exciting for them.

December 24th, 2007 at 6:15 am

94. Jeni says:

I know this is an old post but I had to comment. :) My 31/2 year old calls boobs “boop-ahs”. She also calls bras boop-ahs. It is the funniest thing. Recently, she told one of my husbands employees over dinner. “Mommy has big boop-ahs and I have little boop-ahs. My husband found this hilarious. :) She also calls her favorite spot in the bed her “comfy”.

I just want to add – I love your blog. I’m hooked. :)

August 14th, 2008 at 3:17 pm