• Over The Rainbow

July 13, 2007

rainbowThe afternoon sun breached the narrow space between the window and the window shade, allowing a sunbeam through. It cut through the glass coffee table and spilled its spectrum of colors into a puddle on the floor.

And that’s where I found the little boy. Lying on the living room floor in a stream of iridescent sunshine.

“What are you doing in here?” I asked.

“Oh, just soaking up the rainbow,” he said matter-of-factly. Sometimes, this boy, he is too wise for his years and it makes my heart stop.

The laundry could wait. I set my laundry basket down and laid down beside him, nose-to-nose and tried to soak him up. He was the dream that I dared to dream so long ago.

Somewhere over the rainbow
    Skies are blue,
    And the dreams that you dare to dream
    Really do come true.

Today, I realized I had made it over the rainbow.

1. Barb says:

You made me weep this morning, tears and prayers of gratitude for my two little dreams.

You do that so frequently, catch me off guard with something so beautiful, poignant or funny that I am frequently laughing or crying after reading your posts. You are my favorite blogger. 🙂

BTW, this is my 1st comment on anyone’s blog.

I am also somewhat of an “antique” mommy, or as the OB’s would say, “advanced maternal age”, having given birth at ages 38 and 40. Not too long ago I realized that I had lived most of my life before then waiting to become a mother. Thank you for reminding me to be thankful that my dreams have come true.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:32 am

2. Mary says:

You are one of the few people that I have encountered that truly gets it. You know that you have to stop and smell the roses and soak up the rainbows. Younger non antique mommies are too busy stressing about things to realize all of the golden moments that are slipping away that can never be recaptured. Good for you for “getting” it!

July 13th, 2007 at 8:37 am

3. Janelle says:

That took my breath away.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:40 am

Mary, I appreciate your sweet sentiments but I have to say that I have come across a lot of young very wise mommies who are soakin’ it up! Being old guarentees no wisdom. Or patience, unfortunately.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:42 am

5. maria says:

It was a wonderful post, filled with what’s really important in life.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:50 am

6. Twisted Cinderella says:

That is so wonderful and sweet.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:58 am

7. Neighbor Jane Payne says:

You captured the moment for all of us perfectly with your writing AM.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:00 am

8. Theresa says:

The picture took my breath away. The explanation made me cry! Soak up that little boy until he just oozes out of you!

July 13th, 2007 at 9:00 am

9. bonniebeth says:

I wish I had been there to make a picture of you and the little boy soaking up the rainbow together 🙂
      But the pictures we keep in our mind are sometimes the most precious and you will have that picture of you, Sean and God’s presence forever. Thanks for sharing.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:07 am

10. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Beautiful.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:21 am

11. Kara says:

That is so sweet!Your little boy is just precious.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:24 am

12. Marie says:

Once again, my eyes well up at your site, Antique Mommy! The little ones are wise, indeed. As are you to soak him up..

July 13th, 2007 at 9:26 am

13. Kimberly says:

After a rough morning and this being the last day without my sweet daughter (she is coming home from youth camp today, praise the Lord!) your post has brought wonderful tears to my eyes…the photo is wonderful and the sentiment is perfect! How blessed we are indeed!

July 13th, 2007 at 9:31 am

14. wordgirl says:

Even more important is the fact that, years from now, Sean will remember his mother as the kind of person who gave the acknowledgment of rainbows a higher priority than getting the laundry done. You know how lucky you are right now, but Sean’s day will come much later and this moment will be one of the things that makes it happen.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:32 am

15. katie m. says:

what a sweet thing to say! especially after your trip to the grocery store for “milk” yesterday =)
      K

July 13th, 2007 at 9:47 am

16. Christyne says:

Tears first thing in the morning should NOT be allowed! Thank you for sharing your dream with us. It makes my heart happy.

Hugs~
      Christyne

July 13th, 2007 at 9:47 am

17. Sophie says:

I know what you mean, I SO know what you mean. After nursing my dream for a very long time, I had given up hope — but then, blessings bestowed! We had a daughter. It’s a wonderful feeling. Thanks for letting us see into your dream!

July 13th, 2007 at 9:49 am

18. Rebecca says:

Sounds like you guys had a perfect day over there at the House of Antique! Lovely!

July 13th, 2007 at 9:58 am

19. Tonja Owens says:

As the Mom of three boys, this touched the very soul of me. Thanks!

I read your blog often and enjoy it so much. Blessings to you and yours,
      Tonja

July 13th, 2007 at 10:06 am

20. zoom says:

Now I am a blubbering mess… I never know what I will find on your blog but I am always given a treasure. Thanks A.M.

July 13th, 2007 at 10:06 am

21. Mrs. Nehemiah says:

wow!
      You are the reason I keep a box of tissues on my computer.
      Did I already say that?

Mrs N

July 13th, 2007 at 10:17 am

I love it when you mesh your artistic flair with your words. This is such a beautiful post.

When I see my kids this weekend, I’m going to soak up those rainbows too…

July 13th, 2007 at 10:33 am

23. Beck says:

Such a lovely post.

July 13th, 2007 at 10:52 am

24. TaunaLen says:

Beautiful and so precious. THIS is what living in the moment is all about.

~TaunaLen

July 13th, 2007 at 10:56 am

25. Joan Crowson says:

Such a wonderful moment you will remember always. May I share mine? My son is now 29, but when he was about 3 we had gone through a week of rain, rain, rain and were just getting so tired of being housebound. Then came the day after the rain — one of those beautiful crisp, fall, blindly blue sky days with white fluffy clouds. Richard looked up at that sky and said “Look Mama, the sky is blooming!” Wow – what a perfect description that was – and it has stayed with me forever – just like soaking in a rainbow.

July 13th, 2007 at 11:16 am

26. Tracey/Real Estate Girl says:

What a wonderfully sweet moment! You made me all weepy!

July 13th, 2007 at 11:20 am

27. mcewen says:

That’s a great spectrum you have going there. Soak away.
      Cheers

July 13th, 2007 at 11:25 am

28. WeevilMaw says:

There you go again making me cry, sitting at my desk wondering if I have missed a moment like that because I am stuck here in “WeevilHell.” Thank you for another touching and gorgeous picture and post.

And I want “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (the version with the hawaiian guy playing the guitar and only him singing) played at my funeral b/c I love the words and sentiment, and it is a beautiful song, and over the rainbow is where I’ll be when they’re playing it at my funeral. Oh-and I was Dorothy in my dance schools production of The Wizard of Oz when I was in 6th grade and it has stuck with me ever since. My mom laughs everytime I say that I want that song played at my service, she doesn’t get it. Soooo when she was going on vacation last week to Cozumel I told her if she didn’t come back and we had to have afuneral for her b/c terrorists high jacked her plane I would make sure to have Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson and Sin Wagon by the DixieChicks played at her service-heeheeheeheehee. Oh, and my Dad wants Carry On My Wayward Son played at his…and he’s the worship eader at our church. How did I get to this subject again?!?!

July 13th, 2007 at 11:26 am

29. Megan says:

An older Mama myself, I can really relate to this. Well said, both of you. Great way to start a Friday morning!

July 13th, 2007 at 12:20 pm

30. Pat says:

One of my favorite songs and how fitting for your heart and soul. I cried when I read this. What a wise little boy, and observant Mom.

July 13th, 2007 at 12:53 pm

31. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Tears. Just…tears.

July 13th, 2007 at 12:54 pm

32. Linda says:

Your son truly is beyond his years…in a good way of course.

So precious!

July 13th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

33. jen elslager says:

Really wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

July 13th, 2007 at 1:59 pm

34. Romie says:

Sniff, sniff – thanks 🙂

July 13th, 2007 at 2:06 pm

35. Kat says:

When I saw the photo and the title I thought “This is gonna be good!” and it was. Even though it made me weepy, it brought back sweet memories of my little boy and his delight in blowing bubbles and seeing the rainbow colors in the bubbles. He’s married now with three children of his own, but I can still see him blowing those bubbles and being fascinated with the bubbles while I was fascinated with him.

Hugs!
      Kat

July 13th, 2007 at 2:20 pm

36. Donna says:

Pure poetry… both from you and from your child. Maybe it’s because you ARE an “antique Mommy” that you cherish every little thing about your life with your boy. You are blessed.

July 13th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

37. Terri says:

What a beautiful post! I have tears in my eyes. I agree totally with that. I have those dreams, 4 of them. What a blessing!

July 13th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

38. sheilah says:

Oh, aren’t little boys grand?

July 13th, 2007 at 4:12 pm

39. Pammer says:

Well done, indeed.

July 13th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

40. Girl Gone Wild says:

…sigh…that was a great moment, AM.

July 13th, 2007 at 4:38 pm

41. Lady Tram says:

I’ll never get to have that of my own…so I am sitting here with tears in my eyes since you were lovely enough to share that with us!
      Beautiful.

July 13th, 2007 at 5:33 pm

42. metaDAD says:

Just discovered your blog, it’s wonderful. This is a “me-too” moment – I have 2 adorable baby boys. My question for you is this – isn’t having babies in your forties the *new* thirties? Does that make sense?

July 13th, 2007 at 5:37 pm

43. Dianne says:

Thanks for a great post. As so many others have said, you stop me dead in my tracks with the things you write and I must admit, I’ve learned that those moments are gone far too quickly too, so I do my best to savor them all!

July 13th, 2007 at 6:08 pm

44. Leah says:

I visited your blog for the first time today, and this post is just beautiful. I’ve added you to the link list on my blog and will be coming back to you often :).

July 13th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

45. MidLifeMommy says:

I also waited a long time to be a mom, and tend to stop everything when a ‘moment’ comes – you said it beautifully.

July 13th, 2007 at 7:12 pm

46. nan says:

Aww, I miss the things they say when they are little. Mine are getting all self-conscious already. My grandmother used to say a poem:

I hope that my children look back on today, and remember a mother who had time to play. There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but babies grow up while we are not looking. So hush-a-bye cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby, and babies don’t keep!

I took that advice to heart, I am glad to say. My house was a mess, but I soaked up all the rainbows!

July 13th, 2007 at 7:20 pm

47. Kiy says:

AM,
      You never fail to touch me. I am a daily reader, new to posting. This post “woke me up” to posting. Amazing, just amazing. I hope to be half the mommy you are. Thank you. Really.

July 13th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

48. Judy says:

And, if this isn’t an “AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW” post, there isn’t one on God’s green earth!

July 13th, 2007 at 8:03 pm

49. Just Mom says:

Yet another post and photo of yours that truly touched my heart.

July 13th, 2007 at 8:46 pm

50. Paula says:

That made my week. Possibly one of the best moments ever.

So very special, aren’t they?

July 13th, 2007 at 8:51 pm

51. KYouell says:

Well, I’m teary too. I had my kids at 39 (2yo son) and 41 (2mo daughterR). We’re still “discussing” the possibility of a third.

I have been reading your blog off and on all day and stopped with this post all set up to read when I got done nursing my daughter. Only while she was eating I could smell that my son would need some attention immediately after she finished. Feeling a tad guilty that he’s in his penned-off play area while she and I sit in the glider, I decided to get the travel changing pad and let him continue to watch “Jack’s Big Music Show” while I cleaned him up. Oops. Big mess. And he added to it while I was cleaning.

So, I came in to read this post as a way of taking a little break so that I wouldn’t scream. Now we are off to take a bath. Thanks helping me get my head on straight. Now we can splash away and Mom isn’t going to be a stress wad! Sharing your moments helps me remember to notice mine.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:10 pm

52. amy says:

Simply said, simply beautiful!

Amy

July 13th, 2007 at 9:32 pm

53. suzanne says:

AAAAwWWWWWWWWWW,more tender words are hard to find……thanks for sharing.

July 13th, 2007 at 10:40 pm

54. "T" says:

WOW!! Everyone kept saying read “Antique Mommies” Blog…read “Antique Mommies’ blog…it will make you cry…I of course knew I could read Antique Mommies blog…and it WOULD NOT make me cry…it just wasn’t…I wasn’t going to let it…Rainbows…how could that make me cry…nope it wasn’t going to happen….so I read…and I DID (just like everyone said I would)…and I loved every minute of it…soaking up the rainbow with Antique Mommy and child…great stuff A.M….great stuff…

July 13th, 2007 at 10:44 pm

55. Cindy says:

Stunningly beautiful. So I cried. Then I read the post about the lady in the pink suit at church. And cried. And then I read the post about the word butt and laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for taking my week’s allotment of tears.

July 13th, 2007 at 11:10 pm

56. Jenny says:

What a beautiful post. Just precious!

July 13th, 2007 at 11:58 pm

57. Tammy/Photography for Fun says:

Precious. Just precious!

July 14th, 2007 at 7:33 am

58. Lindsey says:

So glad I checked your blog today – what a great way to start my day…chills and tears of thankfulness for my own two bundles of joy!

July 14th, 2007 at 7:36 am

59. Steff says:

i just have to say my hats off to you girls in the early 40s w/ babies cause mine are 3 and 4 and I am 36 and the thought of a # 3 is enough to make me pull my hair out and consider finding the way to a very large bridge
      i love my 2 boys with all my heart but especially having had my neice w/ us for 10 days i know the reason i only have 2 is cause i only have patience and hands to hold 2 when they are ready to run out in the street or when they need to cuddle i only have 2 knees
      and with boys I only have 2 eyes and somedays even with the 2 i feel like i need 20
      it strikes me odd cause I always thought I wanted a lot more(6) but i think a late start and getting set in my ways struck me more than i ever thought

July 14th, 2007 at 10:19 am

60. Laura says:

Awesome photograph!

July 14th, 2007 at 11:58 am

61. Jessica says:

I saw your website in Good Housekeeping, and being a blog addict thought I would check yours out! I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read thus far, and will be back to read some more when I get the opportunity!

July 14th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

62. Cheryl says:

I just discovered your blog today! Your post made me tear up a bit. My own little boys are no longer little, and I surely miss “soaking up rainbows” with them. You write beautifully!

July 15th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

63. Kathy says:

Awww! So sweet! Love the rainbow face of that darlin’ boy. Gorgeous photo of his precious face.

Did you know the song actually has a verse in front of the well-known chorus. Its lovely too:
      When all the world is a hopeless jumble
      And the raindrops tumble all around
      Heaven opens a magic lane
      When all the clouds darken up the skyway
      There’s a rainbow highway to be found
      Leading from your windowpane
      To a place behind the sun
      Just a step beyond the rain…..
      Some where over the rainbow….

July 15th, 2007 at 11:35 pm

64. pinkmommy says:

Oh my word, simply beautiful. I love seeing the world through my little one’s eyes. It is so much more breathtaking than I remember.

July 16th, 2007 at 11:05 am

65. Sincerely Anna says:

Just soaking up the rainbow – how cute is that?

July 16th, 2007 at 9:23 pm

66. bee says:

Beautiful post.

July 16th, 2007 at 11:41 pm

67. Susan says:

*crying*

July 17th, 2007 at 5:32 pm

68. ReminisceHeirlooms says:

This is what I needed to read today. It replenished my spirit. This is beautiful. I just stopped and counted my blessings. Thank you for sharing this post.

July 17th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

69. Marti says:

Me, too!

You’re de-lovely. Really.

-Marti

July 18th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

70. Traci says:

Thank you for helping me remember. I’m off to love on all three of my gifts.

~Traci

July 19th, 2007 at 9:17 am

71. Split-level personality « Blog In My Eye says:

[…] you’re ruminating on childhood and childhood homes, pop on over to Antique Mommy’s and see what a sweet memory she made […]

September 1st, 2007 at 11:32 pm