• Trash Day Is So Yesterday

August 20, 2007

One of life’s big thrills for Sean since he was a little bitty guy has been watching the trash truck.   On trash day we listen for the growl and grind of the big truck to alert us to their impending arrival and then we run to the front windows to watch the beauty and magic of waste management.

Last week, Sean was busy playing in the den and didn’t hear the truck, so I excitedly called him to the front windows.

“Sean! Look!  Here comes the trash truck!” I enthused.

He ambled into the dining room and with his hands on his hips.  He watched the garbage men hoist our refuse on to the truck and then drive away.  When they were out of sight, he turned to me with an expression of pity and boredom and said evenly and sarcastically, “Well, isn’t that neat? [you simple simple easily amused woman]”

And then he ran off to attend to more esoteric matters.

The thrill of the trash truck might be gone for him, but not for me.  I know what’s in those bags.

1. Blog Antagonist says:

((Snicker)) Let me guess…toys?

He’s a smart little duck. Sarcasm is a very sophisticated concept.

August 20th, 2007 at 8:37 am

2. Julie says:

I wonder what it says about my son, but he is 12 and still likes to watch the trucks. Heavy trash is still a big draw.

August 20th, 2007 at 9:17 am

3. kathie says:

Oh no. Well, in that case, just freeze time now. It’s one of my favourite things to do on a Friday morning – stand at the doorway with my 21 month old son and wave to the garbage man. Love how excited he gets.

August 20th, 2007 at 9:37 am

4. Kai says:

It was sweet of him to at least humor you…I think.

Just be grateful you don’t live where I do…trash pick up in my neighborhood in NYC is around 3am!!

August 20th, 2007 at 9:37 am

5. Kara says:

My Toddler loves watching the trash truck, it’s sad that in a few short years he’ll outgrow such a simple pleasure.

LOL, funny side note- he also loves watching the mail truck and I’m used to yelling for him when it comes. The other day he was asleep during mail time, but I saw the truck and excitedly said to hubby “the mail truck’s here!”- he looked at me like I was nuts.

August 20th, 2007 at 9:42 am

6. nan says:

When my eldest was three, his life’s ambition was to be a garbage man. Oh, to hang on the back while the truck moved along! I loved when my in-laws asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, and he said with stars in his eyes…”oh! A garbage man!”

August 20th, 2007 at 9:56 am

7. tracey says:

Well, La tee dah!! Gettin too big for baby stuff, eh?

August 20th, 2007 at 10:05 am

8. jayedee says:

it’s been a long time since i’ve had a little guy in the car with me and just a couple of months ago i caught myself exclaiming “firetruck! firetruck!” as one zoomed past.
      ‘course i still throw my arm across the seat to hold ’em back if i brake hard too……much to my husbands chagrin when HE’S in the passenger seat! LOL

August 20th, 2007 at 10:41 am

9. Natalie in TX says:

Sounds like he has some new attitude-influential ‘friends’ that he’s been hanging out with. sorry!

August 20th, 2007 at 11:19 am

10. Mommy 24/7 says:

Love it! I too look forward to trash days for the exact same reason. More clutter gone from my life…..always a source of joy.

August 20th, 2007 at 11:33 am

11. Mama Pajama says:

I love that he was trying to humor you…he could have said, “So what?” But he didn’t want to hurt Mommy’s feelings.

August 20th, 2007 at 11:55 am

12. Sandi says:

For a brief time, my grandson was so in awe of those big trucks that he declared he wanted to be a “garbage man” when he grew up. I think that has now changed to cowboy – can’t keep up.

August 20th, 2007 at 12:48 pm

13. Paula says:

We are still worshipers of the great garbage gods. One of our new favorite books is SMASH! MASH! CRASH! There Goes The Trash!

We’re milking it for all it’s worth. Mostly because I know the sarcasm is inevitable…my husband’s family is Dutch. All in good fun, though.

August 20th, 2007 at 12:54 pm

14. jen says:

I agree totally…I still dont understand how we can haul so much trash in bags in this house week after week.

August 20th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

15. An Iowa Mom says:

First preschool, then poopy on the potty … and now the trash man is no longer exciting. What’s happening??? Is Sean growing up before our very eyes??? The nerve!

August 20th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

16. lindsey says:

Your son sounds like he has such an awesome sense of humor – seriously, I get such a kick out of his little statements!

August 20th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

17. Kerri says:

The time does go fast and our little guys turn their attention to much more “mature” matters. I love reminding my 14yr old how he told me when he was about 5 that when he grew up he wanted to be a garbage man because he wanted to ride on the side of the truck. He didn’t understand that they only ride there sometimes from house to house. I guess the thrill of looking forward to riding on the expressway at 70mph on the side of a trash truck just couldn’t hold up to the real life adventures of 4 wheelers and football!

August 20th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

18. wordgirl says:

I remember the excitement of watching the “garbage guys”…as my boys used to call them. Equally thrilling were the guys doing construction work wearing what our boys referred to as “hard man hats”.

August 20th, 2007 at 3:00 pm

19. Beck says:

Aw. These big changes can happen without us quite knowing at the time, eh?

August 20th, 2007 at 3:25 pm

20. Sarah S. says:

Blech! about the sarcasm, but I’m with you — I get pretty excited about trash trucks, fire trucks, and school buses still. They make my happy little world go ’round!

August 20th, 2007 at 3:51 pm

21. merinz says:

One day you may do as I did, excitedly point out a fire engine to the people next to you – totally forgetting that your child is not there and next to you are a group of adults!

August 20th, 2007 at 4:26 pm

22. cathy says:

i love that at not quite four he has mastered the fine art of sarcasm! he’s something else, that boy of yours!

August 20th, 2007 at 6:00 pm

23. Ortizzle says:

I have said this before, but… are you absolutely certain there isn’t a 98-year-old inhabiting your 3-year-old’s body?!!

(And not to disillustion you, my dear, but if he can be nonchalant and sardonic at the age of three, just imagine what the teenaged years will bring, LOL.)

August 20th, 2007 at 8:18 pm

24. JenLo says:

Now you’ve gotta find the next best thing to enthrall him. It’s a bummer when the old favorite standbys get tossed aside!

August 20th, 2007 at 10:03 pm

25. Lynn says:

lol…that is funny. But, its sad in a way when they start getting too old to appreciate a firetruck, and all that stuff that ‘little’ boys find amazing. Now what amazes my boys is nowhere near that simple.

August 20th, 2007 at 10:19 pm

26. The Chickadee Feeder says:

When my oldest was that age, I even made up a song to sing about the garbage man, this weekly event was so thrilling.

August 21st, 2007 at 12:21 am

27. Sheila says:

I’m pretty excited when the trash guy comes BECAUSE I know what he’s taking away. 🙂

August 21st, 2007 at 1:34 am

28. Pieces says:

I still get that with all kinds of things with my kids. The days of pointing out fire trucks and earth movers are a thing of the past. Sniff. Makes me sad.

August 21st, 2007 at 11:24 am

29. Joy, of course! says:

I am with you antique mama. I still get a thrill at hauling all our trash and sometimes our junk out to the curb and having it disappear from my home and our garage.

It is sad when the outgrow your habits though, isn’t it?

August 21st, 2007 at 11:53 am

30. CircusKelli says:

Awww… I really hate it when they outgrow stuff like that before we do… 😉

August 21st, 2007 at 3:47 pm

31. Lisa says:

This story brings back a long-forgotten memory from my childhood. I grew up in Michigan and my sister and I used to love watching the garbage man from our second-story bedroom window. I recall watching these fascinating men work in sub-zero temperatures on snowy mornings. Thank you for such interesting stories; reading them has become a part of my daily ritual.
      Best Wishes,