• From Under The Laundry Pile

August 27, 2007

This past weekend I drove through little Arkansas towns with names like Pickle Gap and Toadsuck Hollow on my way to the White River where we went rafting with some friends.  We had a great time but today I am tired and I have a mountain of laundry that smells like Toadsuck, so I’ll be back here in a day or two!

1. Betty G. says:

Toad Suck and Pickle Gap – just outside of Conway, Arkansas. A lovely area with weird names! Hope you had fun rafting.

BTW, I have missed your Posts and am delighted that you are back – in spite of laundry. 🙂

Oklahoma Betty (Married to Arkansas Ed)

August 27th, 2007 at 11:35 am

2. jean says:

I’m glad to hear you had fun.

August 27th, 2007 at 11:41 am

3. Nancy says:

How fun!
      I am an Arkansan (but now living in Kentucky) and have been through those little towns a lot. Pickles Gap has the BEST little antiques and collectibles shop in a two story house. Makes me drool!
      Did you happen to drive by 56? Yep, that is the name.
      Glad you had a good time. I do miss tubing and caneoing on the Buffalo River. My ex husband and I had a vacation home in that area and it was always a welcome trip from the heat and humidity of south Arkansas.
      Glad you’re back!

August 27th, 2007 at 12:03 pm

4. mama speak says:

Laundry that smells like Toadsuck….ewwww!

Guess, it’s precursor to Sean’s teenage days. 😉

August 27th, 2007 at 12:05 pm

5. Jennifer says:

I live very near Pickles Gap and Toadsuck. 🙂

August 27th, 2007 at 12:15 pm

6. Beck says:

My grandpa – the one I never met – lived in Arkansas. He did. And here you thought I was so Canadian! 🙂

August 27th, 2007 at 1:00 pm

7. An Iowa Mom says:

Best of luck!

I’m always “Under The Laundry Pile”, and have only known what it feels like to be on top of it once (since I’ve had children).

Maybe I should stop reading these blogs, and get some of it done.

Naaa!

August 27th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

8. Steffj89 says:

You missed the trip through Booger Hollow?
      I am an Okie by birth but Arkie by heart….lol
      My parents both grew up in AR and so have spent many loverly vacations in that beautiful state. now I am close enough to the state line i do all my shopping there….glad you had a great trip
      Steff

August 27th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

9. That Girl says:

I drove over the White River yesterday. I didn’t get a ticket in Parkin this time!

August 27th, 2007 at 1:16 pm

10. JenLo says:

I hear ya. I’m under a pile of laundry too, but I didn’t even get to go rafting to accumulate the mess!

August 27th, 2007 at 1:25 pm

11. chickadee says:

you were so close! you should have stopped to say hi.
      hope you enjoyed your arkansas trip. we love the white river.

August 27th, 2007 at 1:26 pm

12. Karen @ Simply A Musing Blog says:

We live right on the edge of Texas and Arkansas and my FIL used to call my husband “toadsuck” when he was a kid, along with many other “unique” Arkansas names…lol. (Not that Texas doesn’t have it’s own share of goofball names – “Fate”?)

August 27th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

13. Southern Girl says:

If you’d crossed over the Mississippi into my home state, you could have driven through towns like Nutbush and my personal favorite, Bucksnort. Driving through the latter prompts my family and I to burst into the official Bucksnort cheer, at which we are frighteningly in sync. 😉

August 27th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

14. Marni says:

My husband’s family lives in upper AR and near Snowball you can also drive through the town of Seed Tick, but you won’t find it on the map.

August 27th, 2007 at 5:40 pm

15. wordgirl says:

Oxyclean is supposed to be the miracle solution for almost everything, but if it can’t do the job on toadsuck, nothing can. Burn it.

August 27th, 2007 at 8:54 pm

16. Aunt Murry says:

Hope you had a great time. I haven’t been rafting since 1993. I did great when we went over the rapids but fell out of the boat when we stopped for lunch!

August 27th, 2007 at 10:07 pm

17. Ortizzle says:

I love small town names. One of my all-time favorites is an English village called Piddletown. And the best part? –It’s in the Puddle Valley. Two places that would have to make a mess of your clothes, eh?

August 27th, 2007 at 10:34 pm

18. kittyhox says:

Toadsuck Hollow? Seriously?

We just today drove by a street named Toe Jam Road and decided that if we lived on it we’d put TJ Road on our return address labels.

Don’t you have to wonder how Toadsuck Hollow got its name?

August 27th, 2007 at 10:55 pm

19. Teresa says:

I grew up in West Virginia (now living in Chicago’s western suburbs)and there are some wild place names there. One of my favorites is Big Ugly, WV. The weekly county newspaper once ran the headline “Big Ugly Woman Dies in Car Crash”. I’m serious. And there were always announcements for the revival services at the Big Ugly Baptist Church and the Big Ugly Mission Circle group. Some of my other favorite WV town names were Comfort, Duck, Friendly, Hoohoo, and Hookersville.

Cheers!
      Teresa

August 27th, 2007 at 11:45 pm

20. The Small Scribbler says:

Toadsuck Hollow. I read that this morning and now it’s 11:00 pm and I’m still chuckling over the name.

Kate

August 28th, 2007 at 12:09 am

21. nad says:

Will be silently waiting for you here…

August 28th, 2007 at 1:39 am

22. Hanlie says:

I’m glad you’re back! And that you enjoyed your rafting… sounds divine! Good luck with the laundry.

August 28th, 2007 at 1:58 am

23. Connie says:

Just got back from camping yeseterday and I can TOTALLY relate. Hope you’re out from under the mountain soon enough.

August 28th, 2007 at 2:27 am

24. nan says:

So THAT’S what you call that river/mud smell! I have a bag of that, from my eldest child, and a bag of “we’ve been fishing and cleaned and gutted them wearing this” from my husband. The combined effect is just… I dunno.

August 28th, 2007 at 1:46 pm

25. Shannon says:

I’ve also rafted the White River. My husband’s family lives in Little Rock. We really enjoyed it.

August 28th, 2007 at 5:40 pm

26. Nancy says:

We live not far from Two Egg. 🙂

August 28th, 2007 at 6:55 pm

27. Overwhelmed With Joy says:

Pickle Gap and Toadsuck Hollow- what interesting names! 🙂

Hope you had a good time rafting.

August 28th, 2007 at 7:38 pm

28. CircusKelli says:

Hubby recently returned from a trip out West on his motorcycle. I spent a couple of days washing clothes that smelled like South Dakota and feet.

August 29th, 2007 at 11:32 am

29. Robbin says:

Wow! Next time tell me you are coming – I right down the road from Conway! Less than 45 minutes away!

August 29th, 2007 at 11:45 am