• Let’s Do Lunch — So I Can Get On With My Life

September 5, 2007

Today was Sean’s first day of school.

I had warned his teacher at the open house that Sean was not a big fan of going to school, so when I picked him up, I nervously asked her how it went hoping that she wouldn’t tell me she had to wear him like an exotic hat today.

She said that it had been a good day but that around 10am he informed her that he was ready for his mommy to come pick him up.

She told him that I would be there to pick him up right after lunch.

So he then said, “Ok. Let’s have lunch.”

Duh.

1. jean says:

Tell Sean that my son Jim feels his pain. I always thought it would get better but…

He was on a first name basis with the school nurse for years. We now have a rule that you have to have a fever over 101, be puking, having major blood loss or an obvious broken bone. Good luck. 🙂

September 5th, 2007 at 10:34 pm

2. Linda says:

He is one smart cookie.
      Blessings

September 5th, 2007 at 11:19 pm

3. LeeAnn says:

I have a friend who’s son actually decided that he’d had enough of kindergarten 1/2 way through his first day. He and his friend decided to leave and walk home. They were picked up by the police when the school discovered that they had left campus!

September 5th, 2007 at 11:39 pm

4. Mrinz says:

He is smart, your son. No one will pull the wool over his eyes in life.

September 6th, 2007 at 1:18 am

5. Kvetch says:

He’s so smart he doesn’t belong anywhere BUT school. Anyway, how else would you get some of these great stories?

September 6th, 2007 at 7:46 am

6. Beck says:

Poor Sean. I share his school-hating pain.
      My older kids LOVE school, though – although it took my Boy a while to start loving it last year. Maybe it will grow on him, too.

September 6th, 2007 at 7:53 am

7. Blog Antagonist says:

Oh boy. My Diminutive One was and still is, completely unappreciative of the whole school thing. I think he’s had a stomach ache every day this year so far, and like Jean’s son, he goes to the school nurse at least once a week, often more. She is very patient and understanding, but even so, it’s embarassing.

However…I think Sean will grow to love school. Most kids, I think do. And he’s so smart, he’ll whiz right through!

September 6th, 2007 at 8:22 am

8. CircusKelli says:

HAHAHA… ya gotta love that kind of logic. 🙂

September 6th, 2007 at 9:02 am

9. chilihead says:

Lawsey! That’s a smart one! I can’t wait to meet him some day and talk about the pros and cons of Elmo vs. Lamb Chop.

September 6th, 2007 at 9:23 am

10. jayedee says:

*shrugs* there’s always homeschool…..that’s what we did. young daniel didn’t start to lose his attachement to home until he was around 8. now he’s a regular social butterfly at 13

September 6th, 2007 at 9:48 am

11. Kacey says:

It worked with you and the popsicle last year, when you said he could have one after dinner, so he asked for dinner in the morning. The kid is so smart — you’ll never get ahead of him!

September 6th, 2007 at 9:48 am

12. Kai says:

Can you blame him? Clearly with a mom as cool as you there’s no place he’d rather be than home! 🙂

September 6th, 2007 at 9:48 am

13. Sally says:

My Mom told me that when she woke me up for my second day of kindergarten (40 years ago) that I told her I had already done that yesterday. Apparently one day of school was enough for me!! Unfortunately, that never changed, I NEVER liked school all the way through graduation!! Always wanted to be home, and even today I am still a homebody. I am a SAHM, but fortunately my girls both enjoy school.

September 6th, 2007 at 9:52 am

14. Susan J. says:

Jackson did not want to go back to school either. He started crying as soon as he woke up. He cried all the way into the classroom. Thirty minutes into the day he was fine. By the second day he announced this teacher was his second favorite (out of a whopping total of 3). He still carries a torch for his Kindergarten teacher though.

September 6th, 2007 at 9:55 am

15. MJ says:

My son cried and hung onto his sister on his 1st day of grade 1…after two years of kindergarten. For the last three days, he’s loudly declared that “I’m not going to school today” but he seems to be (slowly) adjusting to all-day school. He’d be right beside Sean with the let’s-eat-lunch-and-go-home-now philosopy.

September 6th, 2007 at 10:19 am

16. wordgirl says:

That kid’s got a quick mind. You’ll need to stay sharp, sharp, sharp to keep up with him.

September 6th, 2007 at 10:27 am

17. FunnyGal KAT says:

And how do you argue with logic like that? All I can say is, good luck!

September 6th, 2007 at 11:15 am

18. WeevilMaw says:

Man that is one quick witted little boy. His school career should be very interesting for everyone involved.I promise it will soon get easier for him and you too. You’ve just done such a great job of being his mom that in his mind why would he need or want to be anywhere else but with you.

My kindergartner says K is much better than Pre-K primarily because thay don’t actually have to take a nap they can just watch the movie that is put on for their viewing pleasure during rest time.

In other news, I don’t have a daycare bill for the first time in 10 years. It’s like I got a decent raise for once!

September 6th, 2007 at 11:23 am

19. Mama Pajama says:

I’m loving the ‘exotic hat’ visual. You did it Mommy! You made it through Sean’s first day of school : ).

September 6th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

20. Snapshot says:

That’s one way to make the day move along.
      Perhaps the same would work for me.
      If I get up, eat breakfast, work an hour, eat lunch, work another hour, eat dinner. Does that mean my day is over and this tired ole workin’ Momma can go to bed?

September 6th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

21. dcrmom says:

Teehee!!!! CUTE.

September 6th, 2007 at 1:50 pm

22. boomama says:

Smart boy, he is. 🙂

September 6th, 2007 at 2:31 pm

23. cce says:

My youngest is making the transition from K to first and was stunned to hear that she would be enjoying only one snack at school before lunch and nothing after; unlike last year’s morning and afternoon snacks straddling the lunch hour. There was a horrified silence while I stuffed goldfish and an apple into the paper bag and a quiet request to carry some Oreos in her pocket in case she gets a little peckish at about 2 pm. I love kids…it’s all about the next meal (oh wait, I think I’m like that too and my metabolism is not quite what it used to be).

September 6th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

24. My Buddy Mimi says:

That’s pretty impressive negotiating for his age. Maybe he will make a career out of it someday.

September 6th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

25. bee says:

Makes sense to me!

September 6th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

26. Amy says:

How did YOU do with Sean being gone? Hope overall he loves his school! 🙂

September 6th, 2007 at 4:40 pm

27. Cheryl says:

I LOVE kid logic! That’s one smart little man you’ve got there!

September 6th, 2007 at 4:49 pm

28. kelli says:

That’s one smart cookie.

September 6th, 2007 at 7:36 pm

29. An Iowa Mom says:

Well … HELLO! Of course, lunch would be the only thing to do at that point, right?

Such a cutie!

September 6th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

30. Angie says:

What a cute comment… I think we’ve all been there at one time or another! Where we just want to go home! He is so smart!!!

September 6th, 2007 at 9:27 pm

31. Big Mama says:

The logic is astounding.

September 6th, 2007 at 11:05 pm

32. PeanutButtersMum says:

Hmmmm…. I’d swear you were talking about my kid. He’s always calling me out on my promises with blatant logic.

Kids are so much smarter than us. Well, me, anyway!

September 6th, 2007 at 11:22 pm

33. mama speak says:

So did they? 🙂

hee

September 7th, 2007 at 3:27 am

34. jen says:

He is perfect I tell you!

September 7th, 2007 at 5:59 pm

35. Rhen (yestheyareallmine) says:

I like the way he thinks!!!

September 7th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

36. shuey6 says:

I have no recollection of it, but my mom says I walked out on kindergarten. When the principal found me he asked why, and I said, “I was done.”

I think that boy just loves and misses you, and that’s pretty cute and wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

September 9th, 2007 at 10:53 pm