• The Up Side To Diapers

September 14, 2007

Yesterday, we spent the day at a local amusement park. Now that Sean is fully potty trained, I no longer have to lug around diapers and always be on the lookout for a place to change him. And all that is good.

However.

Yesterday I took Sean to go pee at the park and since it was a public restroom I gave him the “don’t touch anything” lecture. I removed my sunglasses from my head and tucked them into the collar of my shirt by one earpiece and then I held him up to do his thing. When I stepped back to put him down, his head bumped my glasses and you guessed it, they tumbled into the toilet. At which time the automatic toilet began to flush. We both stood there watching in amazement as my sunglasses swirled and whirled and crunched against the mighty force of the flushing toilet.

When all fell quiet in the stall all that stuck out of the water was the earpiece of my glasses. If not for the thought of spending $35 for a new pair of $5 sunglasses in the gift shop, I would have turned and walked away. I had no other option but to go to that big blank white space in my mind.  I reached in and quickly grabbed my glasses. And miraculously my $5 Wal-Mart sunglasses were no worse for the wear.

“Mom! Don’t do that again!” Sean admonished me. “You are not supposed to touch anything!”

This is where the “Do as I say, not as I do” speech would work.

And yes, then I stood at the sink for 30 minutes scrubbing my glasses and arms up to my elbows like a surgeon and then I drank a quart of Purell just for good measure.

Now. Let us never speak of this again.

1. llamamomma says:

Count your blessings, sister. At least your kid will pee in an AUTOFLUSH toilet. Seriously. My boys would scream “Is it autoflush?” everytime we walked into a public restroom. For years. I actually categorize restraunts by this — autoflush and the places we frequent.

Sigh.

And I’m very glad you got your glasses back.

September 14th, 2007 at 1:27 pm

2. patois says:

I’m so glad you’re not the only one who, one, wears cheap crap sunglasses and, two, would stick her hand in to retrieve them. You go!

I’m afraid, I am with Llama Momma with regard to having children with autoflushphobia. So kudos to you on that, too.

September 14th, 2007 at 1:50 pm

3. merry says:

Thanks for the TGIF laugh!

September 14th, 2007 at 2:07 pm

4. Cindy says:

Autoflush works for us since if it is a “loud toilet” my girls wouldn’t flush it. But honey, if that ever happens again, you let me know and I’ll just SEND you a pair of $5 WalMart glasses, ok? I feel the need to go wash my hands now.

September 14th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

5. Girl Gone Wild says:

I go through sunglasses so many times throughout a year I would’ve been right there with ya! Nothing a little bone-sucking-dry soap and water can’t clean…and God Bless Purell!

September 14th, 2007 at 2:09 pm

6. staci at laughing mommy says:

My daughter is terrified of autoflush too. It is just way too scary for a small kid.

September 14th, 2007 at 2:10 pm

7. Christie says:

I love this story! I especially love the “do as I say, not as I do” part! 🙂

Years ago, I dropped my ID badge (at work) into the toilet as it swirled in flush mode. Talk about embarrassing when I had to tell both HR (so that I could get a new badge) AND the facilities guy (to prepare him for any possible “back-ups”)!

September 14th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

8. Robbin says:

Oh. My.

If it makes you feel any better I LOST a pair of $250 Revo sunglasses (a courting gift from my hubby) basically the same way. I was devastated.

$5 Walmart glasses for me are just fine. And no more tucking them in the blouse frong.

September 14th, 2007 at 2:21 pm

9. Neighbor Jane Payne says:

Oh jeepers, between the glasses and the Mary Tyler Moore sandal, you and public toilets have a real fued going!

September 14th, 2007 at 2:22 pm

10. An Iowa Mom says:

Better your glasses than your billfold.

Yes. My billfold. And my phone.

Don’t ask. Seriously.

September 14th, 2007 at 2:26 pm

11. Blog Antagonist says:

Heh. I lost an earring in the airport bathroom on the way to Chicago. I thought about reaching in for it, but that blue stuff stains something awful, and everybody would have known that I had my hand in the toilet.

September 14th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

12. Julie says:

I’m surprised you and your “neat freak gene” lived through that one!

My daughter is freaked by the autoflush, too. I have to go in with her, hold my hand over the sensor, and not move until she is up and dressed. It’s quite the traumatic event.

September 14th, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Shoes, glasses . . when is the rest of the wardrobe going in?

September 14th, 2007 at 3:25 pm

14. Judy says:

I would have been fishing out sunglasses too… and things like that happening for me is one of the reasons I DON’T buy expensive glasses!

September 14th, 2007 at 3:55 pm

15. Just Mom says:

Ah, yes. The joys of having a potty-trained child. ;-D

Congratulations on that, by the way. My son is finally “trained” too.

September 14th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

16. cathy says:

I’m with Cindy, let me know the next time this happens and I’ll spring for another pair of $5.00 sunglasses! I always stick mine on top of my head. Anyway, thanks for the really good laugh! You don’t know how badly I needed it today! I can just picture the two of you standing over that cammode watching those glasses twirl round and round!

September 14th, 2007 at 4:16 pm

17. JCK says:

Oh, God, that hasn’t happened to me…yet. Now, you KNOW if those had been Ray-Ban’s they would have flushed, don’t you? The cheap $5-10 sunglasses never, EVER get lost and always hold up under the most extreme conditions – like young, plastic chewing children & hence your autoflush toilet. I have this discussion with my husband ALL the time. He buys expensive sunglasses and they’ve vanished or are crushed within a matter of …hours. And my cheap ones… still here! Thanks for the laugh today.

As for the LOUD toilets? They’ve taken on a fear quotient of Monster proportions at our house!

September 14th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

18. where the boys are says:

Wow – you have probably moved into some sort of superhero status in my book. I would have totally walked away and left the glasses in the toilet.

September 14th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

19. Dawn says:

I hate public restrooms. I would never have reached into the toilet for some sunglasses. If I dropped something important in there like my keys, I still might leave them, my husband is a locksmith so I could get new ones easily. I think the only time I would get something out of a public toilet is if one of my kids accidentally fell in, but even that would be major trauma for me. I figure if something touches a public toilet it is history. I just have one question. Does your hubby know you reached into a public toilet? Your posts always make me laugh. I love reading them.

September 14th, 2007 at 5:17 pm

20. cce says:

I have feared this very same end for MY $5 glasses and have somehow managed to avoid dunking them in a public toilet. However, you have given me pause and reason to work out ahead of time my plan of action should they take the plunge.
      I resolve to let them mellow there in the public toilet for eternity rather than reach into the abyss.

September 14th, 2007 at 5:18 pm

21. Beth in WI says:

I promise not to speak of it, as long as I can giggle about it for the rest of my life. Because it hasn’t happened to me. Yet.
      We divide places into “loud toilet” and “quiet toilet” too.

September 14th, 2007 at 5:25 pm

22. Mama Pajama says:

Hahaha. I needed a good laugh. Thank you.

September 14th, 2007 at 5:26 pm

23. Theresa says:

My grandson was TERRIFIED of auto-flush toilets, however, he would have been grabbing for the sunglasses!!! No amount of “DO NOT TOUCH” would have convinced him to leave a perfectly good pair of sunglasses spinning in the toilet! 😉

September 14th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

24. chilihead says:

You.

Did.

NOT.

September 14th, 2007 at 5:40 pm

25. lindsey eason says:

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck….and a really be EWWwwwwww!!!! So sorry you had to experience that but honestly, it did give me a good chuckle!

September 14th, 2007 at 5:51 pm

26. Karen @Simply A Musing Blog says:

I have TOTALLY done just that before, for real. I have.

September 14th, 2007 at 6:02 pm

27. Melissa says:

This is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!

September 14th, 2007 at 6:12 pm

28. The Small Scribbler says:

What is it with you and things (shoe, sunglasses) falling into the toilet? I would have retrieved them too and thought of you while I was doing it.

Kate

September 14th, 2007 at 6:55 pm

29. MamaLady says:

Ewwwwww! You know what Erma Bombeck (I think it was her?) used to say? If you drop something in the bathroom it will always go into the toilet. Some kind of law.

September 14th, 2007 at 6:55 pm

Hilarious…and as gross as I’m sure it was, that was much better than the SHOE in the toilet. . .and also much better than falling out of the bathroom stall with your swimsuit around your ankles.

Maybe you should just avoid public restrooms altogether.

September 14th, 2007 at 7:25 pm

31. Kacey says:

Why not your sunglasses? You already had your perfect shoe in there last year! Absolutely certifiable, but so cute!

September 14th, 2007 at 7:41 pm

32. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda Been Worse) says:

It’s the mother reflex thing. The other day, my son dropped his beloved Wheel Pals car into the toilet. The toilet that the older sister had not flushed. After she pooped. Yes, I went in after the submerged vehicle. And then boiled the car and my left hand for two minutes.

I just grossed myself out all over again.

September 14th, 2007 at 8:35 pm

33. Beck says:

Ewwwwwwwwwww.
      That is all.

September 14th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

34. annie says:

That would be the end of those glasses for me! I just couldn’t do it. I bow to your germ resistance!

September 14th, 2007 at 9:35 pm

35. Big Mama says:

I don’t know that there is enough Purell in the world.

September 14th, 2007 at 10:06 pm

36. Jill says:

Just don’t tell your husband.

September 14th, 2007 at 11:50 pm

37. Scratchin' the Surface says:

Can I just tell you how much I love that you not only went fishing for the $5 glasses, but told us all. What a woman!

September 15th, 2007 at 12:21 am

38. Becky says:

I think if I admitted to having a hand in a public toilet, my husband would never touch me again. Even the toilet in our own home would freak him out. Hence the reason I never told him the REAL reason why I threw his tooth brush away after elder son “dropped” it. I told him the cat licked it. That’s what he gets for not putting it away when he’s done.

September 15th, 2007 at 2:37 am

39. Susan J. says:

Seriously? Ick.
      I am trying to remember if I had to lift my boys to do their thing in public restrooms. I just don’t know. Maybe I did.
      Mine have always thought an automatic flusher was cool.

September 15th, 2007 at 10:23 am

40. TaunaLen says:

Oh the memories of public restrooms and wiggly little boys. Not sure I could have done it. But I’m sure your $5 sunglasses are counting their blessings after being rescued from the eye of the whirlpool!

~TaunaLen

September 15th, 2007 at 11:26 am

41. wordgirl says:

Since those industrial-style toilets are forceful enough to flush down a fully grown sheep, I like to imagine that it could theoretically destroy all germs that might have been lurking on your sunglasses. Not likely, of course, but a girl has to dream. And now…I’m going to go wash my hands.

September 15th, 2007 at 12:27 pm

42. MotherPie says:

OMG that is the best potty story EVER. You never could have made that up!!!

September 15th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

43. Sara says:

Oh my! That has happened to me before too… but I couldn’t bring myself to fish them out LOL I miss those glasses. I just love this blog… thanks for sharing so much with us.

September 15th, 2007 at 1:26 pm

44. Cheryl says:

Oh my goodness! You made me giggle! For the rest of my life, I will think of you and your swirling sunglasses every time I use a public restroom! Thanks for making me smile!

September 15th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

45. Tiffany Nicole says:

Thanks for sharing. My husband dropped his cell phone in a toilet and in one of those small fish ponds at a chinese restaurants. It worked for a good while. Ofcourse he had to dry it with a hair dryer and not use it for a couple days. I love your blog and look forward to reading it daily. Blessings! Tiffany Nicole http://pascale-family-treasures.blogspot.com/

September 15th, 2007 at 1:38 pm

46. Tiffany Nicole says:

Forgot to mention. My daughter is 4 now. She also used to cry when those automatic toilets flushed. I had to let her know ahead of time that the toilet was going to flush so she could cover her ears. Fun story to hear.. Thanks. Tiffany Nicole

September 15th, 2007 at 1:42 pm

47. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

Okay, for $5 sunglasses I might have been tempted to just toss them. 🙂

We’re in the midst of potty training right now. I can’t wait until it’s all over. Of course, since we’re trying to adopt another little one we’ll have to start all over with child #2 at some point. ((sigh)) One day it’ll all be good!

September 16th, 2007 at 3:51 am

48. Rose says:

LOL! I would have fished out the glasses also. I could totally picture that happening to me. I did drop my cell phone into the toilet at home once. (I was talking and cleaning the bathroom at the same time. Those little phones don’t stay on your shoulder very well!)

September 16th, 2007 at 10:13 am

49. Twisted Cinderella says:

Well you are braver than I am, it would have had to been prescription glasses for me to brave a big bad public toilet!

September 16th, 2007 at 11:53 am

50. Joy, of course! says:

Hee hee hee.

I totally would have left the glasses in the toilet and considered their replacement $5 well spent.

September 16th, 2007 at 7:11 pm

51. Annie says:

Oh please tell me you did not do it! Why, oh why would you pick it up and wash it?

September 16th, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Had I not been at an amusement park on a blindingly sunny day where it would have cost me $40 to replace my $5 glasses, I would have left them. Apparently my cheapness trumps my germophophia.

September 17th, 2007 at 11:03 am

53. nan says:

All three of my sons, AND my foster boy, dropped matchbox/hotwheels cars into toilets. What IS that??? Every single time, I said “this is the LAST TIME!!” but the big eyes… The quivering chin… We have boiled a lot of matchbox cars.

September 17th, 2007 at 9:07 pm

54. Sharyn says:

You mention drinking a gallon of Purell — here’s an empathetic moment: I was speaking with my friend’s three-year-old daughter and just as I started to say something she sneezed. HARD. Right in my mouth.

A mouthful of Purell, followed by a handful of Altoids.

September 19th, 2007 at 6:51 pm

55. Ortizzle says:

I have fished a few things out of the loo when the consequences were dire. Not fun, especially when there is nothing antiseptic around to get clean with. But what happens if it’s your car keys? Money is not even an issue, and neither is hygiene!

September 22nd, 2007 at 10:09 am