• When You Have Geeks For Parents…

September 21, 2007

your vacation photos look like this:

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

1. Jane says:

Oh, I can relate! I vowed I would never take my kids on a museum “vacation” when I grew up! Ha! Now that I am a teacher I know every field trip there is! My poor future children!

September 21st, 2007 at 1:18 am

2. Jammie J. says:

I don’t think he’s even looking at the camera, is he?

Hehe.

When we went to the Grand Canyon I was about 13 or 14 and totally into reading novels. In all the pictures taken of the Grand Canyon with me and my brother in the foreground, I look immensely grumpy because my mom pried me away from my smut book to look at a gigantic hole in the ground.

Parents!

September 21st, 2007 at 1:38 am

3. JanB says:

LOL, that’s a funny photo, we always say that part of the thing about being middle aged and raising kids is that our three year old asks to share our orange metamucil. Now how many kids develop a taste for metamucil?

September 21st, 2007 at 6:18 am

4. Blog Antagonist says:

Hey, Geek parents rock. We love museums and take our boys often. Thankfully, they are geeks too. Chicken and egg?

September 21st, 2007 at 6:41 am

Heh, we just tok our kid to a museum too. Though, sometimes, I HOPE she turns out as geeky as me, it would save me some “popular girl” type worries.

September 21st, 2007 at 7:07 am

6. Veronica says:

Yes, most of our vacations when I was a kid involved the words “memorial” or “birthplace,” a tradition I plan to pass on.

September 21st, 2007 at 7:18 am

7. Beck says:

Museum vacations are the best vacations!

September 21st, 2007 at 7:48 am

8. merry says:

I love it!

September 21st, 2007 at 8:07 am

9. Theresa says:

The majority of our family fun trips involved museums or historical sites!!! Our girls still love doing these things, and now we are breaking in the grandkids! Let the Geeks have fun.

September 21st, 2007 at 8:53 am

10. Sherry says:

Wow! Sean looks like he has grown in leaps and bounds over the last few months. Is it school boy look or the shorter hair?

September 21st, 2007 at 9:05 am

11. Just Mom says:

There’s something wrong with the photo???? Doesn’t everyone go to museums on their family vacation???? 😀

September 21st, 2007 at 9:06 am

12. Joan from TX says:

When I was a teenager, I was on a train where we had a 1/2 day layover in Chicago and we voted on whether we spent the time in the Field Museum or a movie. I lost!! I have no idea what the movie was but I still wish we could have seen the museum. We took our kids to Utah and Arizona National Parks, and wish we had taken our grandkids to see more than just the mountains of Colorado and NM.

September 21st, 2007 at 9:19 am

13. JenLo says:

Luckily my boy was really into dinosaurs, so I was able to say was taking him for himself!

September 21st, 2007 at 9:27 am

14. Clemntine says:

I think Deen will be very touched that Sean took a moment to get in touch with his (Deen’s) roots. Brings a tear to the eye.

September 21st, 2007 at 9:32 am

Ha ha ha ha!

At least you TAKE vacations with Sean. I didn’t know what vacations were until I married Mr. Right. Now I’ve seen a few fine sites myself…

September 21st, 2007 at 9:46 am

16. An Iowa Mom says:

I think I have the same type of shot … of ALL my children. I guess that makes me a geek. Well, a geek of a parent anyway!

Sean is getting so big!! Seems like he grew overnight.

September 21st, 2007 at 10:23 am

17. My Buddy Mimi says:

I must be tired this morning, but somehow I read it as “When you have Greeks for parents…” and totally didn’t get what that had to do with anything.

Must get more sleep!

September 21st, 2007 at 11:22 am

18. chilihead says:

*snort* Of course, I would have tried to pose him like the dino was eating him or running away from him or chasing him. Yeah, my kids LOVE it when I start taking pictures.

September 21st, 2007 at 11:49 am

Sean is in an anti-picture taking phase. Every time he sees me pull out the camera, he runs away so I have to carry M&Ms with me and negotiate:

1 M&M = I won’t run away, but I won’t smile.
      2 M&Ms = I won’t smile, but I won’t stick my tongue out or cross my eyes.
      3 M&Ms = I’ll act as though I know you.
      4 M&M’s = I’ll do my crazy bug-eyed fake smile.
      5 M&Ms = genuine photo album quality smile.

September 21st, 2007 at 12:19 pm

20. fully operational battle station says:

Yay! I love geeky parents! Especially ones with lots of M&M’s

Jamie

September 21st, 2007 at 12:27 pm

21. Suzanne says:

That is hysterical. You are a hoot. 🙂

September 21st, 2007 at 1:38 pm

22. Betty G. says:

I think you are exposing your son to the finer things in life. He will learn from it. Don’t be ashamed. Keep up the good work, Antique Mommy. You are doing well. By the way, Geeks are Great!

Betty

September 21st, 2007 at 2:28 pm

23. Mama Pajama says:

That’s great. Have a great weekend!

September 21st, 2007 at 2:50 pm

24. snarflemarfle says:

Ha!

Our kid (and in February, kids) sooooo have geeky parents. I mean, we both know how to program a computer, I’m a total art nut and DH and I love musicals (though I’m the only one that’ll play “name tha tune and tell me the show!”). So yeah, Geeks are gonna rule the world!

September 21st, 2007 at 3:01 pm

25. Carola says:

you always make me laugh…he is not even looking at the camera!!

September 21st, 2007 at 3:16 pm

26. jean says:

Oh boy. Add me to the club. I drag my son to all the museums. Since we live so close to NYC we have made alot of day trips. My parents did it to me so I am passing on the pain.

September 21st, 2007 at 3:50 pm

27. Quirky says:

Sean’s lucky. You’re the cool parent who took him to see dinosaurs. My mother thought it was fun to pull out the science trivia flash cards on long car trips. Nothing like spending your summer vacation reciting the definition of photosynthesis.

September 21st, 2007 at 4:24 pm

28. cce says:

Could I send my kids with you on your next trip? I am just sooo bad at Science Museums and the kids just love them. I feel my mind start to numb and my fingers get itchy and I want to lay down and roll around and shout “I hated Physics” whenever I get near the damn place. I know it is good for them and they will be learned creatures for having a Mom who endures the tedium. It’s just so hard for me to get enthused.

September 21st, 2007 at 7:01 pm

29. tz says:

geeks make the best parents…love reading your blog!

September 21st, 2007 at 11:22 pm

30. Kacey says:

What kind of Geeks make their kid wear socks with sandals? He knows he’s doomed to Geekville now! Poor Precious.

September 22nd, 2007 at 8:54 am

31. Common Mom says:

We did a dinosaur vacation, too . . . but we waded through a river to see the dinosaur tracks . . . http://commonmom.com/education/making-tracks/. And my kids would have loved to see dinosaur bones on vacation like your little dude . . . they love that stuff! So geeks or not, I think seeing “old” stuff is always cool for the kids 🙂

September 24th, 2007 at 9:42 am