• Uncleand Bob Is Inappropriately Funny

September 26, 2007

As I waited for Sean to finish his Party Burrito at Taco Bueno the other day, I picked up a newspaper that someone had left behind in our booth.  I never read the newspaper anymore, so it was kind of a treat.

The first page I came to was the obituaries and I scanned them out of morbid curiosity.

There was a picture of a handsome man that caught my eye and so I read his obituary hoping to discover what had happened to him.  So I could then feel better about my own mortality. Somehow.

Anyway, this is what I read, exactly in this format:

“Bob was also an

uncleand friend.”

Whaa?  Was this a statement on his salvation or his hygiene? And is this really the time to bring it up?

Rest in peace Uncleand Bob and thanks for the inappropriate laugh.

1. Becky says:

You’re kidding right??? That is just craziness I tell ya!!! But definitely inapporpriately funny! 🙂

September 26th, 2007 at 11:05 am

2. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

What a way to be remembered! Maybe he was a prankster and this was someone’s last revenge upon him. Pretty good one, I think.

September 26th, 2007 at 11:16 am

Someone in the obit department probably got a lecture.

September 26th, 2007 at 11:18 am

4. Sarah S. says:

Took me a full 60 seconds to realize what kind of typo that could have been. Bless, bless, bless Bob and his family!

September 26th, 2007 at 11:25 am

5. kittyhox says:

He’s probably having a good laugh about it up in heaven…

September 26th, 2007 at 12:09 pm

6. Elaine says:

Let’s hope it’s not poetic justice.

September 26th, 2007 at 12:48 pm

7. mopsy says:

Oops!

It’s always nice to know other people read the obituaries.

September 26th, 2007 at 1:10 pm

8. DodiM says:

Wonder if that was karma?

September 26th, 2007 at 1:10 pm

9. Melinda says:

Is that sort of like “A moment of silence for a master of mime: Marcel Marceau, whose quiet art spoke volumes has died.” As sad as it is that he’s passed away, that struck me as incrediably funny. A moment of silence for a mime.

Hugs,
      Melinda

September 26th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

10. Jeana says:

OH. I was wondering what they meant!

September 26th, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Jeana, I know. I wondered too and in my tiny blonde mind, I tried to make it make sense. And then I realized it was a typo. And then I laughed at myself and realized that with my luck, the odds of getting my obit screwed up are pretty high.

September 26th, 2007 at 1:35 pm

12. Jackie @ Family Daze says:

Glad that other commentors figured it out for me! And I’m laughing my head off about the moment of silence for the mime! Inappropriate laughter can be so cle -ansing!

September 26th, 2007 at 1:54 pm

13. zoom says:

There is a funny show on HBO that is based on the producer/ writer , Larry David, of Seinfield fame.

It is an irreverent, bawdy version of Seinfield.

In one episode, Larry messes up a beloved aunt’s obituary. The word aunt was misspelled and let’s just say the misspelling was an extremely offensive word. Funny, funny , funny- but oh my lands- Very bad word.

September 26th, 2007 at 2:33 pm

14. Julie says:

I love reading your blog. The comments are always as entertaining as your entries.

September 26th, 2007 at 3:11 pm

15. daring one says:

Oh my word. I love when other people notice these things too. So funny A.M. Thanks for this sweet tribute to Uncle Bob.

September 26th, 2007 at 3:30 pm

16. Beck says:

Poor Bob.

September 26th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

17. Kathy/ Lessons from the Laundry says:

That reminds me of the Mary Tyler Moore episode when they had to stay in the office late and write up obits, just in case someone died. Of course they got punchy late at night and wrote inappropriate things that were aired. I think it is refreshing to find humor in death, I hope people laugh when I go.

September 26th, 2007 at 8:41 pm

18. Mary says:

My dear aunt gave me a bible when I was very young. In her perfect calligraphic handwriting, she signed it….
      “Love Anut Jane”………..she truly is a nut so it was appropriate!

September 26th, 2007 at 10:39 pm

19. Ortizzle says:

And I guess we can be glad they didn’t also leave the “r” out of “friend.” Cuz poor old Bob would probably have liked it even less if he’d been remembered as dirty fiend. 😉

September 26th, 2007 at 11:24 pm

20. Louise@TheLighthouse says:

I always scan the obits when I get hold of our local paper, but have yet to find anything to rival this:-
      “A year ago today I opened up the door
      and found my darling Eddy lying dead upon the floor”

that’s all there was!

September 27th, 2007 at 5:00 am

21. Susan J. says:

I have to admit it, obits can be quite entertaining sometimes. Thanks for the laugh this morning, however inappropriate.

September 27th, 2007 at 8:47 am

22. cce says:

Oh, oh, that poor reporter that was stuck doing Obits at the end of the day and where the hell was the editing staff when the reporter most needed them? (Can you tell I was once a staff reporter for a local newspaper and often had to do Obit duty. Threw in my own share of typos and misspellings that editors missed and felt the distinct and burning shame of a public embarrassment.)

September 27th, 2007 at 9:35 am

23. Jen says:

The funniest one I saw was a 2 column one that mentioned EVERYTHING this poor man did, including (but not limited to) when he stubbed his toe on a cruise! I swear it had every band-aid he got in his life. It was hilarious. I wish I’d cut it out, but by the time I thought about it my dad had thrown out the newspaper.

September 27th, 2007 at 9:48 am

24. Taina says:

“Bob was also an

uncle and friend.”

September 27th, 2007 at 10:25 am

25. Parul says:

LOL….!!

Poor guy, he deserved a better (spelt?) farewell than that!

September 27th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

26. Jake's a Girl says:

Laughter is the best medicine.

And, if anyone ever wondered if the family of Uncle Bob noticed he smelled…That answered it. 😉 Was the family’s way of saying, I’m sorry. LOL!

I’m like Kathy…I pray there’s more tears of laughter than tears of pain when i’m gone.

So funny and sweet. 🙂

September 27th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

27. Stephanie says:

I just found your blog and I must say you are hilarious!:) I love reading your entries. Looks like alot of other people do to. Your humor is like mine. Thanks for the smiles.
      Steph

September 27th, 2007 at 1:38 pm

28. wordgirl says:

Sadness aside, I find the obituaries to be some really entertaining reading. Sometimes the writing is done well and…othertimes…not. What kills me are the nicknames that people insist on including, as though we couldn’t figure out (what with the photo and life details) who the deceased actually was. Delmer “Puddin” Flint. Margaret “Big Mama” Hill. George “Floppy” Watson.

September 27th, 2007 at 4:03 pm

29. Laural says:

Oh my goodness gracious, that is funny. I can only hope that something as humorous is accidentally put into my obit!

September 27th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

30. Susan says:

>>>Not. Kidding. I had to read it several times before I realized it was supposed to be “uncle and…”

September 27th, 2007 at 7:42 pm

31. Susan says:

And ~I~ had to read the comments here to realize that!

September 27th, 2007 at 7:43 pm

32. Eva Dellinger says:

Your comment over at Don’t Try This At Home, about choosing the library over the spa….that was perfect. It made me nod and laugh a lot, which can be rather violent when done simultaneously.

And your comment has led me to your blog! Now I will snoop.

September 28th, 2007 at 11:02 am

33. sue @ praise and coffee says:

Ok, that is hysterical!

Thanks for the laugh…at Bob’s expense may he rest in peace.
      sorry Bob couldn’t resist

September 28th, 2007 at 6:09 pm

34. Lisa says:

I tell you, I know I don’t get here often, but that’s because I just had surgery on my abdomen and you make me laugh so hard, it really does hurt. Thanks. Now I either have to drink more wine, or head for the Advil!

September 28th, 2007 at 7:56 pm

35. jenny says:

holy funniness. God rest bob’s soul! I’m sure he’s happy to have brought a smile to so many faces!

September 28th, 2007 at 11:07 pm

36. Twisted Cinderella says:

I am hoping that this was either a horrible misprint on the newspapers side or some kind of weird inside story.

September 29th, 2007 at 10:03 am

37. Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife says:

Ha! That just gave me a really great laugh, no disrespect to Bob intended. Thanks for sharing that story!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife

September 30th, 2007 at 1:30 am

38. Daniele says:

This is so funny! I’m with wordgirl here, I also find obituaries can be real crackers. And I hope there will be something funny in mine one day.

September 30th, 2007 at 5:39 am

39. fully operational battle station says:

Oh my God, I didn’t get it at first (blond)….. but do now and that is SO funny!

Jamie

September 30th, 2007 at 7:14 am

40. Robin Sampson says:

Poor Bob.

September 30th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

41. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

Wow! I’ll bet Bob’s family wasn’t too happy about that typo. It is a bit funny though. 🙂

September 30th, 2007 at 4:47 pm

42. jouette says:

i think Bob is enjoying how many people are thinking about him today and his questionable uncleanliness as well as his i’m sure wonderful uncleness.

September 30th, 2007 at 5:13 pm

43. dandelion dust says:

that’s hilarious!

September 30th, 2007 at 9:13 pm

44. Katiebod (Roses are Red, Violets are Violet) says:

Hope his family doesn’t raise a STINK.

sorry, I had to.