• Love And Logic Takes Time And Patience

October 5, 2007

Actual phone conversation:

“Hi Mom. Yeah. We’re doing  fine.

“Yeah, the Love and Logic class? It’s going well.  I’m learning  how to — hold on for a second –“

“SEAN! KNOCK IT OFF! STOP BANGING ON THAT! I’M ON THE PHONE! DO YOU SEE THAT I’M ON THE PHONE!?”

“– yes, I’m learning how to stop yelling at my kid.”

“I should ask for a refund?  Very funny Mom.”

1. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

Oh my! That is hilarious! 🙂

October 5th, 2007 at 8:48 am

2. MotherPie says:

hahaha. Kidz rule?

October 5th, 2007 at 8:56 am

3. Theresa says:

No matter what you study, or how hard you work at something, your children will ALWAYS create a situation where you lose all of your knowledge and act from emotion–and it usually is around one of your parents or parents-in-law!!! 😉

October 5th, 2007 at 9:00 am

4. Karen @ Simply A Musing Blog says:

I had this very same thing happen to me yesterday…lol. Sigh…

October 5th, 2007 at 9:05 am

5. patois says:

Heh heh heh. That’s a keeper.

October 5th, 2007 at 9:08 am

6. MamaLee says:

I SWEAR my kids AND my dogs know to ramp up all noises, screams, shrieks and demolitions as soon as the phone rings!

xoxo

October 5th, 2007 at 9:15 am

7. zoom says:

That was funny.

October 5th, 2007 at 9:41 am

8. Just Mom says:

Classic.

October 5th, 2007 at 11:21 am

9. tracey says:

🙂 Hmmm. STOP yelling? How about lessen the yelling? That, at least, is feasible.

October 5th, 2007 at 11:34 am

10. momhuebert says:

Oops!

October 5th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

11. chickadee says:

oh i know. i’m right there with you!

October 5th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

12. Tamara Cosby says:

You so just got a giggle out of me. That is hilarious! And boy do I understand! Are you reading “Parenting with Love and Logic”? Great book! I also appreciate “Creative Correction” by Lisa Welchel.

October 5th, 2007 at 1:53 pm

13. Blog Antagonist says:

Chuckle. I think we all have those days. Moments. Lives. Right?

October 5th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

14. nan says:

Oh, that brought back WONDERFUL memories… How about my winner: “do NOT (*thwack*) hit your brother!!” Let’s get together and write a book on all of the dumb things… Hold on, I don’t want that in print!

October 5th, 2007 at 2:44 pm

15. scriptexam says:

I went to church last weekend (an all too infrequent event) so that my 2 year old could wear a pretty dress she’s about to outgrow. She went to the daycare, I sat through the sermon. Toward the end of the service the congregation has this minute of silence to reflect or have your personal conversation with God. I prayed hard for patience because Lily has been stomping on my last nerve this past week. After the minute was over a group of children and teenagers danced into the sanctuary, one of the teens carrying Lily who seemed completely delighted by the event. When the number was over they brought Lily back to sit with me through end of the service. She decided sitting quietly in a pew just wasn’t going to happen and proceeded to run up and down aisles, me following behind calling in a loud whisper, “Lily, Lily, Lily, Lily, come back here!” Although the congregation and minister seemed amused I thought the one who must have had the best laugh was the One that I was praying to earlier. The chasing event in church was God’s way of saying, “You have a two year old. Your prayer was just a joke, right?”

October 5th, 2007 at 3:35 pm

16. Anjali says:

Oh, that’s hilarious. Definitely get a refund!

October 5th, 2007 at 3:46 pm

17. Sandi says:

My daughter is also working with Love and Logic with her recently adopted kids – and is meeting with some success. However, one of the things that ALL children are expert at is making parents lose control! Sounds like your son is quite normal!

October 5th, 2007 at 4:38 pm

18. Butterfly Mama says:

LOL!!!! I’m rereading the book for the umpteenth time…I’m hoping to absorb it this time!!!

October 5th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

19. Veronica says:

At least you know you were talking to your mom this time.

October 6th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

20. Tina says:

Ha ha!! This made my morning!

October 7th, 2007 at 9:58 am

21. An Iowa Mom says:

Your Mom is one funny lady! 🙂 That really was quite comical.

October 8th, 2007 at 1:19 pm

22. daring one says:

That reminds me of the times I yell at my kids to “BE QUIET!!”

October 8th, 2007 at 1:23 pm

23. Jamy says:

Love and logic is wonderful, but it doesn’t stop me from yelling at my kids!

October 9th, 2007 at 9:50 am

24. Lisandrea says:

What a great laugh! That’s like me, helping my son memorize the fruits of the Spirit, including PATIENCE and SELF-CONTROL, then going freak on him when he isn’t patient, or when he’s having a tantrum! Thanks for that post.

October 11th, 2007 at 1:25 am

25. Rhen (yestheyareallmine) says:

Thanks for the laugh 🙂

October 16th, 2007 at 9:40 am

26. Lisa says:

Similar story … I attended a seminar with Charles Faye last spring. I’ve been using Love and Logic with my own 4 children (now 9,8,6,a nd 5) as well as my kindergarten class. I was so inspired by the days events that I could not wait to share a million details with my husband as soon as he walked in the door. Of course, I was going a mile a minute and the kids were arguing about something in the other room; getting louder by the second. I could feel their noise level grating on my nerves and finally shouted (from the kitchen to the family room), “Enough already in there. Does anyone notice that I’m trying to talk to dad. My husband simply stated, “Is that part of what you learned today?” We both laughed. I “regrouped” and walked into the room and talked to them the Love and Logic way. End of story. My point is that we really need to OVERLEARN the Love and Logic philosophy and anecdotes. If we do not, it will never feel natural.

October 26th, 2007 at 7:18 pm