• Jell-O Does Not Make The List

Oceanography

Sean

History

Words

The “Blue Planet” series

What’s on your list?

Less fascinating than Jell-O: Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears.

October 10th, 2007 at 9:27 am

God
      Mr. Right
      My kids
      Really great books
      Cooking
      Concept of faith
      Concept of grace
      Jesus’ sacrifice
      Thinking patterns
      Sewing
      Chocolate
      People’s gullibility
      The way some people consider “stars” better people than the “average” person
      The true definition of heroes – firemen, policemen, soldiers, teachers, hospital employees (especially in children’s hospitals), etc.
      Parenting

October 10th, 2007 at 9:46 am

I forgot philanthropy

And ditto on your less fascinating points. I would put lint collections before the likes of them too.

October 10th, 2007 at 9:49 am

4. kimberly says:

I have a long list but I would say the Human mind…or the lack of in some cases! 🙂

October 10th, 2007 at 10:00 am

5. zoom says:

I concur with your fascination with history. Especially how human nature has not changed that much over the centuries. We just have better teeth.

I also love the bible for the same reason in regard to human nature.

Plate tectonics captivates me as well. The animated graphics of the continents separating and crashing together is amazing.

The planets, galaxies and stars hold me in wonder.

October 10th, 2007 at 10:13 am

6. Karen @ Simply A Musing Blog says:

Most fascinating:
      the workings of the human mind (especially my husband’s)

the Trinity

the Bible

Astronomy

Genesis (yes, in the Bible, but the foundation for the rest…it captivates me)

stories of people who have “died” and come back to life

my kids

catastrophes caused by nature

Least fascinating: Anything to do with Hollywood…and laundry.

October 10th, 2007 at 10:35 am

7. Common Mom says:

Fax Machines . . . I still think they’re magic.

October 10th, 2007 at 10:39 am

8. WeevilMaw says:

history-right now I’m in an asian history phase, but am also interested in south american and african history.

travel

God-Christ-faith-the bible-grace

music-looking for really good alternative christian music

my kiddos-cheerleading,dancing,scouting,piano,soccer,livestock judging-

parenting to raise honest and decent and hardworking and unselfish intelligent Christian human beings

organizing

morals and ethics

I guess thought patterns or human behavior as in how people make choices that seem bizarre, how a good kid goes bad, how a stable married responsible grown person goes off the deep end and throws it all away, how serial killers and child molesters justify doing what they do and then live with themselves afterwards, etc

politics-who is the best candidate to lead us during the next 8 years-illegal immigration, terror, radical islam, oil, alternative energy, eduaction, infrastructure, emergency preparedness, taxes

October 10th, 2007 at 10:44 am

Yes, fax machines, they are magic. All of this digital stuff amazes me, but it makes my head hurt to think about how it really works. Same with the airplane. I don’t really want to know how it works, I just want it to work.

October 10th, 2007 at 10:45 am

10. Lisa says:

Eyeballs.

I don’t think there’s anything on earth I find more fascinating and mystifying, even though I “know” how they work. Just the fact that an odd-textured piece of flesh can actually “see” the sunset over a snow-capped mountain, or the face of a beloved child, is miraculous to me. What a gift, and I’m so grateful for it.

October 10th, 2007 at 10:55 am

13. Annie says:

Parenthood

God-creation-grace-faith

Computers, Internet

Victorian Era

Human body

Thats all I can think of now.

October 10th, 2007 at 10:58 am

14. chilihead says:

space
      sharks (well, really all ocean-related things)
      symbolism in art
      And pretty much everything you said. Pretty much.

October 10th, 2007 at 11:07 am

Bible
      Charles Williams
      Joss Whedon’s tv shows
      The plays of Christopher Fry

October 10th, 2007 at 11:35 am

18. Stephanie says:

The Universe. How it goes on and on and on and beyond that it continues, forever.

Love. The Strength of it, the Power of it, the Enigma it can be. Our capacity to Love, beyond reason.

October 10th, 2007 at 11:37 am

blogs

October 10th, 2007 at 11:44 am

20. mopsy says:

God
      Heaven and hell
      Intelligent design
      the migration of birds and butterflies
      all kinds of music
      conception
      The 1920s-1940s
      Cary Grant
      mountains and deserts
      peaches
      British humor

October 10th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

21. Amy says:

How babies develop from making love into little people and then into even bigger people!

October 10th, 2007 at 1:03 pm

22. Quirky says:

lava lamps. Those bright pink blobs, bouncing in slow motion…I could watch them for hours! I keep one right here on my desk to help me think.

What was I saying?

October 10th, 2007 at 1:08 pm

23. Snapshot says:

The fact that the God of the universe really loves me.

I can capture time in a photograph.

I seem to have inherited personality traits and talents from a Grandmother I have no memory of.

The fact that children from the exact same gene pool can be so incredibly different.

That some people think that terrorists should have more rights than God fearing, law abiding citizens.

The whole process of making art.

Fascinating and mind boggling is the fact that God has always been and always will be. His time line began before “the beginning”. Wow.

Blogging

October 10th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

24. bonniebeth says:

fire

ocean waves

feelings of deja vu

going to sleep and waking up again

demography

Time
      Technology

October 10th, 2007 at 1:56 pm

26. momhuebert says:

October 10th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

27. chickadee says:

right now cypress knees. seriously. take a look:

October 10th, 2007 at 2:33 pm

WWI era
      The ocean
      Birth
      God
      Psychic mediums
      Heaven / Life after death

I have to laugh at this comment, btw: “Actually, I’m sort of fascinated by Jell-O; as in, why do people like it? and, who invented jello salad, especially the kind with vegetables? and, who decided lime jello and pears go together?”

This is the kind of stuff my 8yo daughter tortures me with every day. I mean, she is a THINKER and ANALYZER and I? am not. She will ask me how engines work, or who made the first ___________ and WHY? Oh, Lord, I feel so stupid when she asks me these things. Google has become my best friend!

October 10th, 2007 at 3:18 pm

30. Susan says:

WWII, I meant.

October 10th, 2007 at 3:19 pm

31. nan says:

Everything! At the moment, quantum mechanics.

Read Bill Bryson’s “mother tongue” for words, and his “a short history of nearly everything” for most other stuff. Great reading!!

October 10th, 2007 at 3:33 pm

32. daisyaday says:

I have to agree with fax machines. How in the world did anyone figure out that a high-pitched annoying whine in your ear OVER THE PHONE can produce a perfectly legible printed page? I just marvel at that out loud when I help one of my kids fax something, particularly when we are sending it through our computer fax program. They roll their eyes, of course, but think about it!

I type on my end. I click on a button. My computer tells my printer to get on the phone, call a number, whine at someone else’s fax machine on the other side of the country (maybe thousands of miles away), and that machine prints my document. It doesn’t print out just any page. It prints exactly what I typed on my computer! Who says magic doesn’t exist?!

October 10th, 2007 at 3:33 pm

33. Jim says:

*The Universe
      *Eternity
      *Human Mind & Body
      *Dreams
      *Memory
      *Nature
      *Love
      *Sunsets
      *All are relative.

October 10th, 2007 at 3:48 pm

34. Blog Antagonist says:

Hmmm.

Not God per se, but religion, spirituality, the evolution of theology.

The Sacred Feminine and why it was eradicated.

The mysteries of the Pyramids.

Lost cities and civilizations; Pompeii, Atlantis, Troy, the Mayans, the Incas.

Birth.

Intelligence and I.Q. and how our brains work. Why are there savants? Why can some brilliant people not balance a checkbook?

Love, sex, attraction, fidelity.

There are more, I’m sure, but those are the ones that sprang to mind.

October 10th, 2007 at 4:15 pm

35. Cheryl says:

Personality types

Children learning to speak

Culture

Great question Antique Mommy!

October 10th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

36. cce says:

Plants, their ability to wither and die and sustain themselves, bare naked in the howls of winter, only to spring forth come April and do it all again. Fascinating stuff that flora.
      Oh, and platypus. Why don’t we ever get to see a real live platypus. I’ve long suspected that platypus are not real but rather like the Yeti or Big Foot.
      Laser hair removal
      Onstar navigational systems
      Memory and the entire human brain for that matter

October 10th, 2007 at 5:08 pm

37. mamasgotmoxie says:

Jesus

the brain and how we only use a very small percentage of it

the differences between men and women

people eating weird foods like squid, monkey brain and other squishy things

the will of african-americans to overcome and be respected in a society that never cared too much for us anyway

dna

the development of babies in the womb

ignorance

nielsen ratings because i’ve never met anyone with a freakin’ nielsen box so i wanna know where these ratings come from!!

October 10th, 2007 at 5:43 pm

38. NoMasNinos says:

People – specifically human relationships

The Universe

Our minds

Biology -especially the human body and reproduction

Deja Vu and dreams these two seem to be related in my life

God, afterlife, adn religions in general

Ocean, so beautiful and scary

October 10th, 2007 at 9:03 pm

39. NoMasNinos says:

Please ignore typos in my previous comment as the boy was screaming.

Oh, and ditto on celebrities being less fascinating than jello.

October 10th, 2007 at 9:07 pm

40. cathy says:

*babies happening from a tiny sperm and egg
      *how identical twins, triplets, etc happen
      *the mind, especially the mentally ill one
      *the way people use g-d as a reason to kill and hate
      *world war ii and the generation that lived it
      *why that generation was the last truly great one
      *why things and ideas that are different frighten some people so badly
      *small children
      *teenagers and how they think
      *computers and the fact that i can write a note or fill out a form, hit send and discuss it with the person i sent it to in england or australia in mere seconds, while we are both looking at it! then they can send it back, i can correct it and send it back and what used to take weeks, now can be done in a few minutes!
      *how different people are, yet how alike they are at the same time.
      *how divided we have become as a people

October 10th, 2007 at 9:09 pm

41. Sarah S. says:

Lots fascinates me, yes, much of it about the Lord and his holiness and our lack of it and why in the world He loves us or even put us here in the first place (I digress… badly).

But the main thing I think of — going on your ‘dreams and memory’ theme. Yes, definitely. I have weird, vivid dreams frequently, and, to me, they MUST mean something, but who in the world knows.

And the human mind. Why, why, why do: “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” (Romans 7:15) What’s this whole, “My head believes and knows, but my heart doubts” thing? What’s up with, “I see my behavior as destructive but can’t/won’t walk away?” Just all of it.

October 10th, 2007 at 9:33 pm

42. Beck says:

I dunno – Jell-O IS pretty interesting. You know, for horse hooves and all.

October 11th, 2007 at 6:54 am

43. mama speak says:

Amy–you and my 4YO could hang out, we have daily conversations about human reproduction. I think I’ll be able to be a health ed councilor by the time we’re done with this topic.

For me:

*My babies; how I never knew I had the capacity to love so very much and be loved back so completely.
      *Babies, babies, babies….how come they smell so good? Why do they have to stop being babies?
      *Sweet babies and toddlers who become loud mouthed a rotten teenager (how does that happen? Could it happen to my kids?) Same goes for homeless people; they were someone’s baby once too.
      *Spirituality and religion; how people can/will hate/kill over religion/love (huh?)
      *Other cultures, especially Asian ones. I’m really interested in the myths, superstitions and spiritualities of other cultures. I find it fascinating.

There’s more, but the babies theme seems to run pretty strong, huh.

October 11th, 2007 at 5:46 pm

44. Jodie Dardeau says:

that God loves everybody
      how our babies grow on the inside of us.
      how colors make you feel

October 15th, 2007 at 2:09 pm

45. Seabird says:

If you liked The Blue Blanet, then try Life of Birds, too – we’ve been watching it off and on this year – it’s amazing!

October 15th, 2007 at 6:42 pm