• Antique Daddy: Will Work For Crackers

October 14, 2007

Prayer is part of our family tradition.  We say prayers with Sean before bedtime and we offer prayers of thanksgiving before every meal whether we are at home or out at a restaurant.

When Sean and I pray together, one of the things we always thank God for is daddy who works hard so that we never have to worry about having enough to eat and so that we can have so many nice things, like a roof over our heads.

The reason for this is twofold. One, aside from the fact that as a Christian family, we are teaching Sean that all blessings flow from God, our Father and Creator, I want Sean to learn to be grateful for all that we have.  I want him to always be aware that not everyone has everything they need — that we are fortunate. Second, I want Sean to understand that all the nice things we enjoy cost money and that money is provided by his father who has to work for it.

So then, last week, we were all three in the kitchen eating lunch and I handed Sean the last sleeve of Ritz crackers.

“We’re almost out of crackers Mom,” he said.  “We need to go to Wal-Mart and get some more.”

“What if you didn’t have any money for crackers?” Antique Daddy asked him.

“Well you would give us some,” Sean countered.

“Well, what if I didn’t work and didn’t have any money to give you, then what?” Antique Daddy pressed.

“Well, then we’d get someone else to work for us,” Sean reasoned.

What a career opportunity — you “get” to work for us AND! give us money for crackers.

1. Becky says:

I love the logic of children. We asked my son a similar question to this and he said “We can just go to the bank and get more!” So we explained that someone has to put money IN the bank for us to take out. Banks don’t just give it away for free. So my son thinks for a minute and says “Then you can have what is in my piggy bank. There must be enough in there to buy anything by now.” Heh. My son. Independently wealthy at age 5.

October 14th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

2. Sarah S. says:

Well, he certainly learned SOMETHING, but it sounds like he missed your implied lesson.

October 14th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

3. Kai says:

I predict Sean will be a very successful CEO someday! I love how he knew exactly where to get more crackers: “Wal-Mart”. I love his thinking!

October 14th, 2007 at 4:55 pm

4. Veronica says:

Eating his crackers by the sweat of another man’s brow. I think that’s in the Second Inaugural Address somewhere.

October 14th, 2007 at 8:02 pm

5. Yew Nork Babe says:

Sean has he makings of a great leader!

My kids used to think that all the money you need came out of ATM machines.

October 14th, 2007 at 8:57 pm

6. sue @ praise and coffee says:

It only stands to reason doesn’t it?!

Take heart, I’m sure the prayers are going to pay off!

Love hearing about your precious family when I make my way over here, you’re a blessing.
      And you make me realize I’m not the only 40 year old that’s exhausted by her toddler!

Sue

October 14th, 2007 at 9:06 pm

7. Anne Glamore says:

Priceless!

October 14th, 2007 at 9:45 pm

8. JCK says:

I guess this is what you would call Puttin’ on the Ritz! Sorry, couldn’t resist. I love kids’ “concepts” of money – otherwordly. My children think Pirate booty coins can be used at the store.

October 15th, 2007 at 1:28 am

9. Stephanie says:

Haha! Antique Daddy better keep his job or he might get replaced 😉

October 15th, 2007 at 10:17 am

10. patois says:

He’s cute enough. I might go to work to get him some crackers.

October 15th, 2007 at 10:23 am

Stephanie, not a chance we could replace AD. Trust me -no one else on God’s green earth would put up with me.

October 15th, 2007 at 11:41 am

12. Stephanie says:

My son is the same way. I love how children make sense of things in their own way.

Steph

October 15th, 2007 at 12:27 pm

13. Kacey says:

Many, many years ago when I had primary school children, we accasionally took Sunday drives through really bad neighborhoods. The sight of half naked children looking out of windows without screens and curtains hanging out in the breeze spoke volumes about the fact that the world is full of unfortunates. But, they didn’t realize that people lived differently until they went to other childrens’ homes and saw for themselves that life is very different behind closed doors. They became aware that they were blessed to have so much and we were not living in the upper crust style. Sean is so bright that he will soon see the world and it’s problems and it is good that you have been thanking God right along for your blessings.

October 15th, 2007 at 8:08 pm

14. Kris says:

Good for you for sending this important message to Sean so early in his life. Not sure I know anyone who’d work for crackers though!
      K

October 15th, 2007 at 9:44 pm

15. bee says:

Ha ha! When asked why Daddy went to work, my little cousin would tell you “so we can go mart-mart”…

October 16th, 2007 at 11:00 am

16. Linda says:

This is why I just love reading your blog so much!

October 16th, 2007 at 11:16 am

17. An Iowa Mom says:

Yeah … he may have missed the lesson … but it was still some pretty good thinkin’. 🙂

That’s one to remember! 🙂

October 16th, 2007 at 2:35 pm

18. Lotus Carroll says:

How cute!

But at least you’ve instilled in him the faith that God will provide someway, no matter what! 😉

I love antecdotes like this one.

October 17th, 2007 at 6:17 pm

19. Susan says:

Out of the mouths of babes! I love the way they think.

One day when my son Chad was about Sean’s age, he spent quite awhile looking for his toy binoculars–but to no avail.

Exasperated, he came to me and asked, “Mommy, you said God listens when we talk to Him–right?”

Beaming with pride that he was understanding the concept of prayer, I answered, “Yes! Of course he does, sweetie! Why? Did you want to ask for His help in finding your binoculars?”

A look of disgust washed over Chad’s face. “NO, Mommy! I want to ask Him to just THROW SOME DOWN!”

October 22nd, 2007 at 6:24 pm