• A Little Known Biblical Fact

October 20, 2007

Sean is really into Melissa & Doug floor puzzles these days.  We have a growing library of puzzles of increasing complexity and it’s fascinating to sit on the floor and watch the mind of a three-year-old work through the reasoning that is required to complete a puzzle.

Our current favorite puzzle is a 100-piece depiction of Noah and the animals exiting the ark.  Sean can work it without too much assistance which impresses his mother mightily.  Of course his mother is also impressed with how he inhales and exhales and blinks.  So then, that is to say, I’m easily impressed when it comes to my boy.

The other night we were sitting on the floor putting together this puzzle when Sean picked out the piece with Noah’s foot on it and examined it closely.   He passed it to me and said, “Look Mom.  Noah wore flip flops.”

Indeed he did.  And he wore a dress too.

1. onemotherslove says:

How adorable!

October 20th, 2007 at 7:51 am

2. Beck says:

That’s so cute!
      We’ve discovered that we just can’t own puzzles for longer than a day or so without all of the pieces getting horribly lost, so now the Baby says “Let’s go to the library and do puzzles!”

October 20th, 2007 at 8:25 am

3. Megan at Sortacrunchy says:

And as all good Texans know, flop flops are really useful year ’round footwear, perfect for traversing all kinds of major life events, including and especially floods . . .

October 20th, 2007 at 8:31 am

4. Terri says:

I think we have that same puzzle, but we’ve not noticed the flip flops. I’ll have to get it down and check it out.

October 20th, 2007 at 8:44 am

5. Evonne says:

Okay, I’m confused. How old is Sean? Because in your first post, back in 2005, you say he is 3. But in *this* post, which is 2007, it seems that he is *still* 3. Is that right? And if you have found a way to slow down the aging process (at least in our kids) could you share it in your next post? I don’t know why all these parents out there let their little babies grow up into 13-year-olds. Especially if there’s another way. Of course, I’ve only recently been turned on to your fabulous blog, so maybe I’m missing a few details.

October 20th, 2007 at 8:49 am

Evonne, you could be missing a few details or were looking at re-run. Sean was born in late 2003. He will soon be (sob sob) four.

October 20th, 2007 at 9:12 am

7. Ortizzle says:

Flip flops are good. Have you taken him to see “Evan Almighty”?!

October 20th, 2007 at 9:19 am

8. Sarah S. says:

My 9 year old has loved puzzles since he was Sean’s age or younger. I agree it is a fascinating thing to watch the mind work. He and I are the only two that enjoy puzzles at our house, and we attack them in completely different ways. Sister wants to be a puzzle person, but doesn’t have the patience. She will wave a piece over the existing puzzle and see if she can make it match — for about 17 seconds. Then she’s through.

Puzzles also give him common ground with my 96-year-old grandmother! 🙂

October 20th, 2007 at 9:54 am

9. JenLo says:

For some weird reason, my kids always wanted to know if they wore underwear under those dresses. Go figure. 😉

October 20th, 2007 at 9:57 am

10. Sandi says:

There is nothing more joyful than watching a child figure out things and learn.

October 20th, 2007 at 11:26 am

11. JCK says:

I’ve always admired people who do puzzles well. Just not one of my talents. However, my 3 year old girl really enjoys them and is good at them, so I have another opportunity to get to know puzzles on an intimate footing. Of course, if I had known about the sandals angle – that would be even more appealing for her, she is …already a shoe lovin’ woman. Flip-flops we haven’t tackled yet.

October 20th, 2007 at 11:35 am

12. Jan Parrish says:

How cute they are at that age. Live in the moment and enjoy it all in spite of the work. My baby is going to be 22 this week. Time flies when you’re raising kids.

Great site. Stop by and check out my free drawing.

October 20th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

13. Betty G. says:

His statement is just priceless!

October 20th, 2007 at 1:24 pm

14. Kacey says:

Sean looked and saw something so obvious that we adults would miss it. Thank God for the eyes of children — eyes that see only good, because bad is not part of their mindset, yet.

October 20th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

15. jen says:

I love how they see what we dont.

October 20th, 2007 at 5:02 pm

16. cathy says:

I’ll tell about that noah, runing around in a belted robe and sandals. he was a man before his time!

have you tried sean out on one of the smaller three-D puzzles yet? i know there is a tee pee and a light house just the right size for his little fingers to start on. as he gets used to them ya’ll can do bigger ones. you will need his little fingers and hands to get into the small places to put the corners together. remember me telling you about my godchildren? everytime i went to see them and everytime they came here i had anywhere from two to five new ones, depending on the difficulty. we put together some doozies! there were rules of engagement in the putting together of these puzzles.
      1) you could throw stuff when you got frustrated as long as it wasn’t a puzzle poece!
      2) you could cuss, as long as it was the H or the D word. or if one whole side fell of everybody could scream the S word at top voice on fall on top of each other laughing.
      3) when one person got tired of the puzzle everybody took a break and went to do something else fun. that way no one would miss a wonderful discoveries hidden until three pieces were put together.

get a couple of small ones, they are well worth it. john was about sean’s age when we first started putting the things together.

October 21st, 2007 at 12:06 am

17. gretchen from lifenut says:

Kids are funny. My baby boy will be 4 (sobbing along with you) tomorrow.

October 21st, 2007 at 10:22 am

18. Misslionheart says:

The stern face my litle boy pulls when he tackles a jigsaw sends shivers up my spine….

Santa won’t have a problem *this* year!

October 21st, 2007 at 4:38 pm

19. Twisted Cinderella says:

Too cute!

October 21st, 2007 at 5:46 pm

20. wordgirl says:

I always referred to it as a bathrobe and sandals.

October 21st, 2007 at 8:04 pm

21. Sincerely Anna says:

I wonder if next year’s version of the puzzle he’ll be wearing Crocs.

October 22nd, 2007 at 12:42 am

22. Beth_C says:

Tell Sean ‘thanks’ for the early morning chuckle!

October 22nd, 2007 at 6:23 am

23. SG says:

Totally off the subjest.. sorta.. We have a Melissa & Dog “Sound puzzle” that makes farm animal noises. But it is possessed. Everytime we turn off the lights in the room where the puzzle is (no matter how deeply it is buried in the toy box) it crows like a rooster! EVERY TIME. I moved it out of the nursery. It scares me a little bit.

October 24th, 2007 at 2:41 pm