• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Kicked Out

December 9, 2007

Earlier in the week, Sean and I were in Target.  He was being loud.  Happy loud, but loud.  Happy loud is annoying, but not nearly annoying as Unhappy Loud. Still, it was LOUD.

I told him that he needed to pipe down so that we didn’t get kicked out of the store.

“Kicked out?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said.  “You are disturbing the other customers and the store manager might kick us out of here.”

“Kicked?” he asked incredulously. “Out?”  His eyes widened in disbelief.

He stopped along side the cart, and with a worried and questioning expression, demonstrated a swift little soccer kick for verification.

I nodded.

“Well that wouldn’t be very nice,” he declared, quietly.

Perhaps I should have stopped here and taken the time to explain the concept of metaphorical speech, but I was too busy enjoying the not loud.  And what do I know, the manager of Target could very well be literally kicking people out of the store.

I know there was a lady in the Christmas aisle talking loudly on her cell phone that I wanted to kick. Out.

1. becca says:

Hahahaha. Wait until he tells AD how managers kick people out of stores. I’m so with you on the cellphone lady. Drop. Kick.

December 8th, 2007 at 8:41 am

2. misti says:

There have been many people in a Super Walmart here that I have wanted to kick out. Walmarts are the worst!

December 8th, 2007 at 9:06 am

3. ~*~ Jennifer ~*~ says:

Too funny — we had to explain “getting fired” to our kids?

ON FIRE???

No — get fired.

Will they BURN??

Oh my — OK — they will lose their JOB…

So now my 4yo still says, “Daddy could get on fire if he is late.”

December 8th, 2007 at 9:09 am

4. Jill says:

I love the literal mind of kids :-)

December 8th, 2007 at 9:33 am

5. Angeline says:

*laugh* I told my boys that we would be thrown out if they didn’t keep their hands to themselves, just before we enter the stores or supermart…you know how ‘itchy’ their hands can be…

yes there was once, my 4-year-old asked, is the uncle a very strong man? He can carry all 3 of us? and throw 3 of us out together? I just went “Mm!” then I asked, do you want that? His reply :”no! you may fall on me and I will die!”

December 8th, 2007 at 9:57 am

6. Cheryl says:

AM…your little Sean cracks me up! I love kid logic and how literal small children can be! My boys are big now…11 and 18…and I miss having those funny conversations with them. Four-year-olds are fun!

December 8th, 2007 at 10:25 am

7. Julie says:

*sigh* I miss the days when my son took me at my word. I told you 4 was a great year.

December 8th, 2007 at 10:35 am

8. Kacey says:

There is a brand new Super Target in Cape Coral that is so big, the manager would never catch Sean singing loudly. Shucks, it is Christmas, after all! Merry Christmas, Sean and Antiques.

December 8th, 2007 at 1:12 pm

9. Nicki says:

Oh, I really, really, really hope that wasn’t me at Target. It probably was…sorry.

December 8th, 2007 at 2:00 pm

10. Maddy says:

Hah! We have similar issues around here. I haven’t explained metaphorical speech yet but we spend far too much time on idioms instead.
      Cheers

December 8th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

11. Mary says:

My kids were always “worried” when I went to baby showers. “Ya mean ya put a baby in a shower naked and turn on the water????”

December 8th, 2007 at 4:08 pm

12. Jan says:

My boy was singing in a LOUD, screechy voice at Walmart and I said, “Please stop.” He said, “But I’m singing a song, Mom!” I said, “Yes, but it’s annoying.” And he said, “Well, I think MY sense of annoying is different than YOURS.” Indeed.

December 8th, 2007 at 4:50 pm

13. Jean Stauffer says:

Oh, I love when kids take things literally! I remember when I told my son that I was going to pull the car up to the door when my dad was being discharged from the hospital. He said incredulously, “PULL???”

(I just jumped over here from Dianne’s site.)

December 9th, 2007 at 5:57 am

14. Marie says:

Hahaha. Loved this! That and the ahhh of “not loud.” No doubt there will be plenty of time later enough to learn about the metaphorical. :)

December 9th, 2007 at 4:01 pm

15. Steff (http://okierivermama.livejournal.com/) says:

hmmm…i wasnt in target this week so the lady on the phone wasnt me…lol
      I am ready for a point in life where we dont do everything at full volume again….right now I say inside voice amd my 4 y/o just goes from a yell to a loud speaking voice and whisper>?? forget about it….lol
      steff

December 9th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

16. feefifoto says:

When my nephew was about your son’s age I took him to the library. The first time he raised his voiced I shushed him and whispered that we have to be quiet in a library. He thought about it and whispered: “But I don’t want to be ki-wet.”

December 10th, 2007 at 12:41 pm

17. Dianne says:

Ha! Ha! Ha! At least he stopped. At a recent Thanksgiving program, my neice (3 1/2) was being rather loud (her usual M.O.) and my sister (her mother) asked her to whsiper. She promptly yelled, “I AM WHISPERING!” She has her own opinions and those of everyone else are null and void.

December 13th, 2007 at 9:29 pm