• Naughty. Nice Will Cost You.

December 13, 2007

Anyone else find that trying to get that perfect family snapshot for the Christmas card a challenge, the kind of challenge that would suck the tidings of comfort and joy right out of the manger?

We did finally get a decent shot — after several hours, several threats,  several costume changes and several 256 attempts.  And a bag of M&Ms.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Naughty.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Still naughty.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Oh!? Did someone say M&Ms?… Nice!

1. Jeana says:

I was just going to e-mail and say the shot you chose was beautiful. Really.

December 13th, 2007 at 8:41 am

2. Sarah S. says:

Well, of course, it’s beautiful! Look at the two of you! I’ve got a naughty picture-poser, as well. Sometimes I just send out the pouty look so that all of our friends and family see reality!

December 13th, 2007 at 8:44 am

3. Beck says:

Funny! That last picture is beautiful.
      I took Christmas card pictures this year and if you think getting ONE kid to pose nicely is hard…

December 13th, 2007 at 9:02 am

4. Donna W says:

It was worth the effort; that last one is a gem.

December 13th, 2007 at 9:03 am

5. Jennifer says:

At least the M&M’s worked for you. No takers here…..

December 13th, 2007 at 9:18 am

6. Carrie @ Three-Girl Circus says:

He looks so old in that first picture. And you know what?…I get nice really quickly when someone offers chocolate too!

December 13th, 2007 at 9:27 am

7. Donna says:

Thank God for digital cameras! Getting 3 kids to all look halfway decent at the same moment is nearly impossible. Someone always ends up crying and then we have to start all over! Your little boy is adorable and I love how you always have pictures of the two of you together. I can rarely get my husband to pick up the camera so looking at all the photo albums, I barely exist!

December 13th, 2007 at 9:50 am

8. Julie says:

What a gorgeous picture! Are you sure you’re as Antique as you say you are??? LOL!

December 13th, 2007 at 9:55 am

9. becca says:

Beautiful AM! Maybe he didn’t like having his hair slicked down??

December 13th, 2007 at 9:58 am

10. CircusKelli says:

Hee hee! I love those pictures!

Somehow, I was able to get a great shot of the three little clowns without too much hassle this year… I put it on our family newsletter. 🙂

December 13th, 2007 at 10:03 am

11. Julie says:

Very nice.

December 13th, 2007 at 10:05 am

Becca, the hair-slicking was AD’s idea. Since AD has almost no hair, he can’t help himself when there is a hair-slicking opportunity.

December 13th, 2007 at 10:06 am

13. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

Pretty little Mama! And brave, too. I haven’t even attempted a Christmas photo yet. Am hoping it’ll get done by osmosis, somehow.

December 13th, 2007 at 10:11 am

14. Jill says:

I have a 7yr old and a 3yr old. We literally took 556 pictures one Saturday and had exactly 7 to choose from for our Christmas card!!

December 13th, 2007 at 10:15 am

Julie, the secret to a youthful look and a clean house is low lighting. You may quote me on that.

December 13th, 2007 at 10:35 am

16. Snapshot says:

Don’t be dismayed. My kids are 16 and 12. Taking the Christmas pictures this year was STILL a hassle. Throw 2 Jack Russells in the mix and it’s a nightmare. And I’m a professional photographer! I believe our own children like to torture us over the dreaded Christmas card picture.

December 13th, 2007 at 11:09 am

Nice indeed! You look gorgeous – as I’ve come to expect from you. You just can’t help it.

December 13th, 2007 at 11:12 am

18. Clemntine says:

I delivered our youngest on December 13, came home from the hospital on the 17th, took (no exaggeration) 81 photos on the 18th and then SETTLED for the one with most of the kids looking somewhere in the vicinity of the camera and the baby looked like she was sleeping. In reality I just caught her in the split-second between blasts of indignation, but that can be our little secret. I also realized, after the cards were mailed, that the older children were all wearing the same holiday-looking sweaters from the previous year’s Christmas card.

This year, we had family portraits made in November (our first since 1997). It was God’s provision, as about two weeks later WonderBoy got hold of his dad’s nose and ear hair trimmer and cut all of his bangs off down to his scalp and then went over his eyebrows. He looks like he has mange.

Oh, and PRECIOUS pictures, AM. All of ’em!

December 13th, 2007 at 11:13 am

19. Michelle says:

Love the shadowing – must remember that when I am editing our Santa shot. You’re beautiful!

December 13th, 2007 at 11:20 am

20. MarathonMom says:

Yeah, don’t know. Picked up mine yesterday and one looks like she is jacked up on Reese’s. These were the “professional” ones.

December 13th, 2007 at 11:34 am

21. Jill says:

How sweet! We had to bribe The Boy with one of his new games to get him to even sit next to the baby for a photo. I would have liked to get a better shot, but I’ll take what I can get 🙂

December 13th, 2007 at 11:47 am

22. Kai says:

How sweet! Your sweater is gorgeous by the way!

December 13th, 2007 at 11:49 am

23. Fern says:

I love all the pictures.

Years ago my family decided we should take a family photo as a gift for my dad. 2 grandparents, 8 adult children, and at that time 7 grandchildren. Before the photo my dad stood in front of the whole group holding a large bag of M&M’s and said “all children who take nice pictures get M&M’s” It worked on everyone except my 10 month old daughter. She cried through the whole thing. 10 years later we decided to do it again–this time with 12 grandchildren and a different sister-in-law. No M&M’s. The picture is okay. Chocolate works wonders.

December 13th, 2007 at 11:53 am

24. stacey says:

i love it!

December 13th, 2007 at 12:39 pm

25. Angeline says:

Great shots! Its so natural. Which kid would resist the temptation of M&Ms!? *wink*

December 13th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

26. Maddy says:

Thank goodness for digital cameras, well done to you both! Antique indeed! You’ll need a new name.
      Cheers

December 13th, 2007 at 12:47 pm

27. cce says:

Classy card…and bravo to you for being willing to appear on your X-mas card.
      A few years back I began to call our card the Anti-X-mas card since their was so much unhappiness behind that one photo.

December 13th, 2007 at 12:56 pm

28. LeeAnn says:

Perserverence pays off- good for you! There were several years where we never did get cards sent- the photo part just totally burned me out! Hopefully none of our friends keel over this year from the shock of actually getting a card from us!

December 13th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

29. mama speak says:

cute pix. Dude, you had to have your kid late in life to even the playing field for all the other moms. If you look this good in your 40s, it wouldn’t have been fair to the rest of us if you looked so nice AND were all in your 20s or something!!!! I didn’t look that good in my 20s, much less now. That’s my off-handed compliment to you. Your welcome. *hee*

December 13th, 2007 at 1:49 pm

30. jen says:

So sweet isnt he?????? LOL!

December 13th, 2007 at 2:16 pm

31. nan says:

Okay, she calls herself Antique and puts us all to shame! That does it! I am going for a facial and a trim ASAP, and must shop for nice sparkly top. This “working frump/busy mother” look is not working for me any more.

December 13th, 2007 at 2:42 pm

32. Jenny says:

M&M’s work wonders, don’t they!? I love that last picture…pure sweetness!

December 13th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

33. Poppy says:

Love numbers 2 & 3. You’re both photogenic 🙂

December 13th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

34. Andrea says:

That last picture is pure perfection! M&M’s produce miracles of their own sometimes, no? 🙂

December 13th, 2007 at 6:02 pm

35. Susan says:

PRECIOUS!

December 13th, 2007 at 6:29 pm

36. NoMasNinos says:

Seriously, I hope to look half as good as you do when I’m 40. Maybe I just need to dye my graying hair, or actually get some sleep. 🙂

December 13th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

37. Happy Geek says:

I used M and M’s too. Didn’t work. Must be because there were two of them. When one was nice, the other was naughty. Sigh. So glad your photos turned out!

December 13th, 2007 at 10:00 pm

38. catherine says:

Mother and son – beautifully done.

December 13th, 2007 at 10:43 pm

39. Sarcastic Mom says:

Hey, you do whatcha gotta do. Bribery is fair.
      It’s a gorgeous shot. 🙂

December 13th, 2007 at 11:05 pm

40. Chelsea/PB&J In A Bowl says:

Great pictures! M&M’s work wonders, don’t they?

December 13th, 2007 at 11:34 pm

41. Heidi says:

What a beautiful photo! You don’t look “antique”!

December 14th, 2007 at 1:24 am

42. Aunt Murry says:

I have to bribe my dogs with cheese~

December 14th, 2007 at 9:15 am

43. Sheila at Dodging Raindrops says:

I’m thankful for Photoshop. Very thankful. My youngest got a black eye at the beginning of December. Right before we had an appointment to have our picture taken by a friend. Once the swelling went down, she did great things with her camera and her computer!

December 14th, 2007 at 9:59 am

44. Fraulein says:

You look about 30. Seriously. What a great photo! That little boy is growing up…

December 14th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

45. Beth_C says:

Ah….good old M&M’s! I am currently using them as a reward after I give my daughter her eye drops. They were also a reward during potty training.

Not sure where we’d be without our M&M’s!

Great photo, by the way!

December 14th, 2007 at 4:52 pm

46. Ainsley says:

You are beautiful. And what a little sweetie Sean is.

December 14th, 2007 at 5:05 pm

47. Christal says:

Really nice…you don’t look your age, AM! What I noticed is that your hair matches your shirt…both sparkly gold. 🙂

~C

December 15th, 2007 at 12:36 am

48. JCK says:

I noticed that, too. Your hair looks great and the sparkly blouse is fun!

December 15th, 2007 at 3:20 am

49. Heide says:

I actually love the second picture. The little face framed between the little hands — with that look — wonderful!

December 15th, 2007 at 10:11 am