• The Sippy Cup As A Metaphor For Life

January 2, 2008

Sean: Mommy, I don’t want a sippy cup in my lunch anymore.

Me: Well, okay, why not?

Sean: Some of the boys at school are calling me a baby because I drink from a sippy cup.

Me: Well, did you explain to them that your mommy doesn’t like juice boxes and that you have milk allergies and have to drink rice milk?

Me: Well did you tell them that if they don’t knock it off that your mommy will come to that school and kick their four-year-old butts?

Me: Well Sean, there will always be people who don’t approve of what you do and the choices you make.  You’ll find out when you get a blog/become a parent/make a choice.

*Not a solicitation for advice on lunchbox beverages.

1. jennP says:

same thing happened in my household right before Christmas. And we use the Rubbermaid containers that have a straw. Personally I see it JUST as a juice box but with your choice of drink in it. My daughter is 5. It’s a chance for us to show them exactly what you said… that people no matter how young, will not necessarily approve of anything. Of course deep inside… i just want to remove them from the same lunch table… kindly of course. why is there such a nasty streak in children sometimes.

January 2nd, 2008 at 8:20 am

2. Kim says:

Too funny 🙂 About 10 years ago when my 13 year old was in preschool I remember hearing one of the teachers rant about how kids need to give up sippy cups and I was completely blown away. She pees in the potty AND pulls up her own pants, she covers her mouth when she coughs and now you want me to take away the sippy cup??? Fast forward 10 years and two more kids and I still……LOVE SIPPY CUPS!!!

And I’m not ashamed to say it.

Oh, and the desire to kick the butts of 4-year old children? Been there too.

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:08 am

3. Cheryl says:

Good for you for turning it in to a life lesson. There will ALWAYS be someone who, for whatever reason, doesn’t agree or approve of our choices. It’s good for kids to learn that, in the end, the only opinion that matters is your own…and, when you’re four, Mom and Dad’s too!

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:08 am

4. Mary says:

peer pressure from 4 year olds can be so ugly. It becomes a battle that continues forever. Keep up the good fight….it will be worth it in the end.

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:23 am

5. Julie says:

He should talk to my 7 year old – who STILL uses sippy cups. I have often hoped for the positive effects of peer pressure, but have not experienced them with either child. They are both sooo independent. I’m trying to appreciate at that as they age.

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:34 am

6. ~*~ Jennifer ~*~ says:

I LUV sippy cups as well. I have a friend that say, “Parent’s should be teaching their kids the skill of drinking from a cup.” SKILL?? Man alive — I’ve still got a hole in my lip, or something. I wish I could use a sippy cup… in fact…

no one tell on me… but my coffee cup has a handle and a lid with a small hole in it… I think it rather looks like an adult sippy cup. Shhh…

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:49 am

7. Lala says:

Hmmmmmm… we stopped sippy cups at HOME right before Christmas… and went BACK to them right AFTER Christmas… too many “knocked over” accidents…

Yea… and the drinkbox in the lunchbox… wonder if those parents have ever opened up the lunchbox to find a pool of liquid in the bottom…

Jennifer got it right… those travel mugs and coffee mugs with lids? ADULT SIPPY CUPS… LOL

Happy New Year!

Lala

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:56 am

8. Veronica Mitchell says:

Now I am burning to fill your ear with lunch beverage advice. Unfortunately, I have none.

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:57 am

9. Veronica Mitchell says:

“known” was supposed to be “none.” I’m tired.

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:57 am

10. Heather says:

Dosen’t one of the rice milk companies make “juice” boxes?? I could swear I saw them in the store – just don’t buy those shaped thermos-y things from Walmart for a dollar or two – they are AWFUL to wash in the dishwasher –

January 2nd, 2008 at 10:12 am

11. Pam says:

I think you should rename his sippy cup. Perhaps a get new type, with a slightly different look, and maybe new name would help? Like, rice milk receptacle? (RMR for short!)

It’s pretty normal for kids to want to fit in, and while I encourage my son to be himself and independent, part of your son’s discomfort might be just growing up and feeling like he is ready to graduate from the sippy age wise, not just the teasing.

They are a blessing though. When my niece visits I am thankful for hers, even though she is very careful, I tend to knock her cup over!

Oh, and I did read the part where you said you didn’t need advice! And yet, I think I just gave it anyhow! So sorry 🙂

January 2nd, 2008 at 10:59 am

12. Mary B says:

My daughter drinks Ricemilk as well, and it does come in a “juicebox” form. And as a sidenote I know you are from a different part of the country but do you find that retailers can price the Ricemilk at vastly different prices for the same product?

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:01 am

13. Mindy @ She Said says:

It just burns me when my daughter feels she needs to change what she’s comfortable with just because she is afraid of what someone else will say. I want to give her the confidence to be herself and tell those other kids that to get lost, but I know that it’s not always that easy. sigh.

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:29 am

14. susiej says:

Maybe a — in a cool design? My kids go through the same peer pressure over lunch box items too. It’s sad.

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:33 am

15. susiej says:

I meant say, water bottle in a cool design — and it has the push down lid so it doesn’t spill.

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:33 am

16. Beck says:

My kids use those portable drinking boxes, the kind with the built in straw? And even THOSE get some crap from other kids. You can NOT win.

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:37 am

17. Happy Geek says:

You mean that sometimes people tell you when they don’t approve of your choices, AND give unsolicited advice? I can’t believe it! (Grin)

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:40 am

18. Randi says:

Oh boy, these lessons are learned early, aren’t they! Hopefully things will be better when he takes a big-boy cup!

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:47 am

19. BooMom says:

*snarling*

Oh, for the love of Mike! BooRat is 5 – and we still use sippy/sports cups. Why? because WE WORK FULL TIME, and are currently visiting the hospital EVERY DAY to visit the nana who had life-changing surgery last week. In other words, with an active ( and somewhat klutzy ) boy around, we don’t HAVE TIME to constantly be cleaning up the spills that BR makes just about on a daily basis !!

*sigh* can you tell that I just had this arguement with my SIL??? and that it’s a SOOOOOORE subject with me??

( rant over )

January 2nd, 2008 at 12:10 pm

20. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Starbucks puts their coffee in sippy cups for adults. I have several water bottles with lids for me and my husband. In our mobile society, sippy cups are a way of life. My six-year-old and four-year-old drink out of “real cups” at mealtimes, but otherwise, we’re all about the sippy cups. I love them.

(Although I also love to drink my morning coffee in a real mug, if I can manage it. Something about that warmth in my hands on a day when our high is 7.)

January 2nd, 2008 at 12:14 pm

21. Katherine says:

Same problem here – exactly – except we’re on soy milk. Although the Bean is pretty good about saying “but, what you’re drinking isn’t healthy for you.” Unfortunately, she is also pretty good about prefacing same with “My mom says. . ..” I’m sooo popular!

January 2nd, 2008 at 12:17 pm

22. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

Wha? Sippy cupz are da bomb! Doze kidz ain’t up in it, dawg. 😉

I do not love the juiceboxes, either. Leaky, drippy, sticky messes. Blech.

January 2nd, 2008 at 12:18 pm

23. Renna says:

Let anyone, in any way, attack our offspring, and it’s universal-the Mamma Bear comes out in us all.

I am cracking up at your comment of kicking four year old butts. I’m embarrassed to admit that I, in years past, have also experienced the desire to kick four year old butts (as well as butts of other ages) in defense of my kiddos.

January 2nd, 2008 at 12:24 pm

24. mama speak says:

Get him an overpriced kid sized “travel-mug” from starbucks and they’ll all be floored at his coolness. How about sports bottles aka–little gym give aways. Beside juice boxes are so not “green”; too much waste. Tell Sean to ask them what they’re doing to lower their carbon footprint? (That will up his popularity.)

I’m a big proponent of juice only once a day so DD1 usually has her juice at breakfast meaning she gets a kid sized H20 bottle in her lunch. I will only do water in non sippy cups, I just don’t have the bandwidth to clean up after a juice spill. My kids can grow a backbone if they can’t deal. My niece & nephew can mop if they spill because I’m told they are “too old” for sippy cups. Their choice; lid or mop. I choose lid.

January 2nd, 2008 at 1:51 pm

25. Joanna says:

Love the disclaimer!!

January 2nd, 2008 at 2:57 pm

26. Heidi says:

When I was small I had probably one of the earliest versions of a “sippy cup.” Simple plastic cup with a top, that, if wasn’t completely dry when you put it on would either leak fluid down the sides of the cup or pop off completely. I don’t know why my mom bothered with that thing…

I do recall later in early high school finding that sippy cup in a drawer and drinking out of it. This is the same time period where it was in vogue to wear a pacifier on a string around your neck and suck on it during class. Never did the pacifier thing, but apparently I thought the sippy cup was pretty rad. Stupid, stupid.

January 2nd, 2008 at 3:03 pm

27. Cathy says:

Hey, I’m gone 50 and I have a sippy cup that holds about a quart! Except mine has a straw. I take with me everywhere i go! I love it with all my heart, and as I’ve had to give up every other vice I’ve ever had I’m hanging on to that over sized sippy cup! He just needs one with a little pizzaz and a straw!

January 2nd, 2008 at 3:16 pm

28. jen says:

Do you want me to fly out there and assist in the 4year old butt kickin? lol.

January 2nd, 2008 at 3:36 pm

29. Jill says:

Isn’t it sad how early this need to be “cool” develops? It breaks my heart to see my 4 year old begin to seek the approval of her friends. It equally breaks my heart when I catch her being the one telling someone else they aren’t doing what she considers to be “the way to do things.”

January 2nd, 2008 at 3:42 pm

30. aggiema says:

I hope I am not going to be the recipient of the redirected anger (wanting to kick someone’s butt!) however I need to pass on some info that was given to me by the school speech therapist. She stated that the use of sippy cups contributes to speech problems in kids. I used them to save my carpet and yes my daughter just had to complete a year of speech therapy. Would she have had to have speech therapy if I had not used them?…Don’t know! Just passing along some info….. Please Don’t Shoot The Messenger!!!!!

January 2nd, 2008 at 3:44 pm

31. happy Mommy says:

Oh how cute! I think you should try water bottles.? Just a thought…

January 2nd, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Sean has no speech issues, other than the fact that he uses words like “substantial” and “marginal” and “spherical” in proper context which some adults find startling.

January 2nd, 2008 at 4:13 pm

33. NoMasNinos says:

“there will always be people who don’t approve of what you do and the choices you make.”

Yeah. Sometimes adults need to be reminded of this lesson, as well. We forget to just be happy with who we are instead of always trying to please other people. You will never be able to please everyone.

January 2nd, 2008 at 4:18 pm

34. Lisa says:

When we had a tiny newborn, we went to a parenting class at our church. The girl who taught it was highly educated, but didn’t have a child of her own. She extolled the virtues of giving your BABY (not toddler) open cups so he could learn how to drink from them. Her advice was to do it in the bathtub to avoid a mess. Ha ha ha – how clueless was she to think a new mom has the time or energy to teach such an unnecessary skill? Anyway, this has nothing to do with peer pressure, but I still had to share it… I love sippy cups, too!

Oh, and remember the metal lunch boxes with the matching Thermos? Mom always packed chocolate milk in my Smurf Thermos. Yum.

January 2nd, 2008 at 5:12 pm

35. Suzi says:

My youngest is 11 and we just graduated to travel mugs from sippy cups a year or two ago. Walmart sold these hourglass shaped sippy cups, that didnt look babyish. Not that they didnt drink from regular cups, just not in the tv room, or their room, I dont think any of their friends ever said anything. They use real cups in the tv room now, but sometimes they still chose the covered cups.

January 2nd, 2008 at 5:25 pm

36. Sarah S. says:

I had the same desire to kick tiny little booties — in kindergarten, my daughter was told that she couldn’t be friends with Super Cool ‘J’ b/c she drank chocolate milk and Super Cool ‘J’ would only be friends with people who drank white milk. WHAT.EV.ER. It’s hard to be patient and remember that it’s actually a big deal to the little guys — but I do think you were 100% right to tell him it will always be that way and just get happy and secure in the choices he’s making!

And if he isn’t, I think the coffee mug idea is a great one — send him w/ a travel coffee mug and tell him to tell his buds it’s a non-fat soy latte’. Who’s cool NOW?

January 2nd, 2008 at 6:30 pm

37. Nancy says:

You’re a good mom. The crossed out comments would have been what I would have said when my kids were that age. See, there are good things about being a mature mother!

January 2nd, 2008 at 6:42 pm

38. Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants says:

Um, I think you crossed out the wrong words! 😉

Aaarrrggghhh, other children ~~shakes fist in the air~

January 2nd, 2008 at 8:08 pm

39. cce says:

We had a Dora burning around here this time last year. All things deemed babyish (including Dora related items) were purged. No matter that there were no underpants, pajamas or plastic dishes remaining. My five year old deemed this cleansing essential to her status as a non-babyish Kindergartner.

January 2nd, 2008 at 8:18 pm

40. Peanutbuttersmum says:

Ha! I love it! Especially the part where you threaten to kick some 4-yr-old butt if they don’t lay off. Amazing what we’ll do to protect our kids, isn’t it?

January 2nd, 2008 at 9:03 pm

41. stacey says:

i don’t know if this coupon code still works, but they make great “sports bottles” for kids!

CBB Deal: Save 10% on your order at mysigg.com when you use coupon code SIGGhead777

January 2nd, 2008 at 10:59 pm

42. FENICLE says:

Our son recently mentioned something similar about me sending notes in his lunch. He can’t even read, but he knows that a heart means “I love you.” Seems this is uncool for 5 year olds though.

WAY TOO EARLY!

January 2nd, 2008 at 11:38 pm

43. Jim says:

We had to tell our five year old Grandson as he started Kindergarten this year that he could not take his “Blankie”, which was his constant companion in Pre-school and nap-time. His comment was: “What if I name it Blanket”?

January 3rd, 2008 at 3:10 am

44. Praise and Coffee says:

*snicker*
      (The last line is my favorite)

January 3rd, 2008 at 6:53 am

45. Tracy says:

Evenflo makes sippy cups without a sippy lid now, for older kids. They look more like grownup coffee cups, but they are still spill proof. I have three of them for my almost 4 yo. One goes in his lunchbox with soy milk every day.

Unsolicited but maybe helpful advice. I bought mine at Walmart and at Target.

January 3rd, 2008 at 11:20 am

46. mama speak says:

Aggiema,

My 4YO has had speech issues/problems as well; lack of muscle development in her jaw muscles. Sippy cups are not the best thing for her, but the threapist had us using straws to help her. The important part was the vary the way she was consuming the liquids. She needed to have liquids of varying thick/thin-ness to come from various types of straws: fat, short, long, thin, hard soft, etc…Sippy’s are only bad if they are the only type of cup you’re using for your child and only if they type of speech issues your child has have to do with the muscle develeopment. If your child doesn’t have those issues; no problem, if they do; it’ll make it worse.

AM, like how I just hijacked your commments for a PSA.
      😉 Thanks for being so full service.

January 3rd, 2008 at 12:47 pm

47. Ortizzle says:

Got here late. But for what it’s worth, the sippy cup only needs a new name to take the babyish aspect from it. So next time Sean’s peers tease him, you tell him that he must respond: “Clearly you do not see the value of an E.B.F., otherwise known as an Ergonomic Beverage Filter. That, however, is your folly, not mine.” That should shut them up for at least two and a half seconds. 😉

January 3rd, 2008 at 7:03 pm

48. Sally says:

How sad that the “judgment” of other kids starts at such a young age. As the Mom of teenagers, I can only tell you that it gets worse as they get older…..
      You will want to kick butts of all ages before you are through!!!

January 3rd, 2008 at 10:20 pm

49. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

I try to keep mine using sippy cups as long as I possibly can. It’s just so much easier.

January 6th, 2008 at 12:42 am

50. bee says:

“*Not a solicitation for advice on lunchbox beverages.”

That made me laugh out loud. But not as much as all of the advice you’ve received thus far! 😉

January 8th, 2008 at 10:57 am

51. Heather says:

I have 3 girls, 17 years, 14 years and 15 months… well, the 14 year old still uses her younger sisters sippy cup sometimes at home because she knows she is a klutz and gets tired of cleaning up the mess. Let your children be kids for goodness sake! They grow up entirely too fast anyway, sippy cups will be the least of your issues when he hits those wonderful pre-teen years.

June 13th, 2008 at 11:24 am