• Deep Thoughts By Antique Mommy

January 8, 2008

Whenever I have been anywhere with Sean, where there are lots of other children, I usually come away appreciating what a good boy he is, how polite and well-mannered he is, how not-all-that-loud he is, how not-terribly-obnoxious he is, how not-that-whiney he is, how… glad I am that he’s mine.

But then recently I’ve gotten comments from several readers who say the same thing about their kids, that compared to other kids, their kids are pretty darn good.

After much contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that your kid is like your own B.O. – you just think everyone else’s is worse.

Feel free to cross stitch that on a pillow.

1. Janelle says:

I know what you mean, I think the same thing!

January 8th, 2008 at 9:14 am

2. Mrs. Who says:

No, that’s not true at all. My grandson is perfect, but other children are not. 🙂

January 8th, 2008 at 9:40 am

3. Chelsea/PB&J In A Bowl says:

So true! And when my child does misbehave, it’s because the other kids told her to.

January 8th, 2008 at 9:42 am

4. bonniebeth says:

Actually, I have come to the conclusion that your/my children are better when they are at some other place than home or with someone else 🙂 I think mine have been worse at home – maybe because they are comfortable there and feel they can be themselves and don’t feel they have to use their company manners. And they know I am going to love them anyway, no matter how horrible they are being. We are trying to teach that manners work for family too 🙂

But I do agree on one thing – there are a lot of whiny and obnoxious kids out there.

January 8th, 2008 at 9:59 am

5. AB says:

Jack Handey couldn’t have said it any better.

January 8th, 2008 at 10:16 am

6. ~*~ Jennifer ~*~ says:

I am starting to love the little tattle tale at church — it’s opened my eyes to how my kids are really behaving. LOL ::sigh:: Oh to have kids that are perfect… some day. 😉

I do appreciate that my kids chew with their mouths closed, I must admit.

January 8th, 2008 at 10:18 am

7. Pam says:

Well, let me cross stitch this. I think there is fact and fiction and in the end, it all comes out. And while most parents make that same comment of, “Oh, other’s kids make me appreciate mine so much more,” time shows who’s kids really are well behaved. For instance, when Bible School time comes, I often sneak into class, and peak at my son when he doesn’t know I am watching. I like to see him interact with other children. It’s fun to watch him being polite when he doesn’t know I am watching. He’s so taken with a different experience, he never thinks to look around for mom. (Different from Sunday School where I might pop in at any given moment even) In those instances, I reassure myself I am not just thinking it. And on that same token, sometimes it means more when others tell you how polite your son is, than to just “know it” yourself. So, when the comments really will start pouring in is from teachers and other adults. They will take note of it and tell you. Not necessarily other parents, but people who have some authority over your son. They will see him and compare him to other kids. Then you will know what you have known all along is true, and that those other parents we just fooling themselves. (smirking)

January 8th, 2008 at 10:29 am

8. zoom says:

Oh girl you ARE funny.

January 8th, 2008 at 10:36 am

9. chrissy says:

So you’re saying that it’s possible that I have wild children and I stink, and I don’t know it? No way, not me. But I know plenty of other people who do.

January 8th, 2008 at 10:37 am

10. Susan J. says:

Hmmm…is that possible? Nah – my boys really are more well behaved than the average kid.
      Now I have to dig out my cross stitching stuff. When is your birthday?

January 8th, 2008 at 10:39 am

11. Laura J. says:

Of course, there are those parents that make you think you’re pretty well-behaved, too, for a grown-up. Case in point: At the Chinese buffet the other night, two little girls were bickering near me as I filled my plate … one little girl had long hair and she flicked it across her shoulder to show her irritation with her sister … and right across my dinner. I guess my face must have registered a look of dismay because the mother said, “What’s wrong?” I told her that her daughter had just flicked her hair across my dinner plate and her response was, “WELL, DUMP IT.”

No apology for her children’s bickeringly bad behavior, no request of her daughter to apologize, nothing. Just “WELL, DUMP IT.”

Nevermind I was tired and didn’t really relish the idea of going BACK around the buffet to fill another plate. (Don’t worry … I did.)

January 8th, 2008 at 10:54 am

12. Liss says:

Oh, that is too funny. What a deep observation!!

January 8th, 2008 at 11:00 am

13. Katiebod (Roses are Red, Violets are Violet) says:

hmmmm…what if you think everyone else’s act better??? 🙂

January 8th, 2008 at 11:02 am

14. Hanlie says:

Those pillows would make lovely gifts…

January 8th, 2008 at 11:13 am

15. Jessica says:

I don’t cross-stitch, but I sure would buy a pillow that had that on it. I totally agree. My child is perfect and everyone else’s is not. 🙂

January 8th, 2008 at 11:25 am

Jessica, What I like about blogging is communing with other people who are as sane and rational about their children and as BO free as I.

January 8th, 2008 at 11:28 am

17. Beck says:

I am an unbiased judge on the behaviour, beauty and brilliance of my children. It just so happens that I actually HAVE three of the best children on earth living in my house, of course.

January 8th, 2008 at 11:54 am

18. Skip says:

Let’s face it: we live in Camp Woebegon – where all the children are above average. 🙂

January 8th, 2008 at 12:08 pm

No no, Antique Mommy… I’ve met Sean. You’re totally right about him.

But the pillow would make a great accent or conversation piece…

January 8th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

20. Lisa Kay says:

Although I am not a mom myself, I can SO relate to that thinking in a lot of areas!

January 8th, 2008 at 12:18 pm

21. Denise says:

ok, this line… “After much contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that your kid is like your own B.O. – you just think everyone else’s is worse.” … actually made coffee come out my nose! Thanks ever so much! 😀

January 8th, 2008 at 12:20 pm

22. Dawn says:

One night my husband and I took our three kids out to dinner at a restaurant. They were perfect angels. There was an older couple, probably in their 80’s, who, as they were leaving, stopped by our table and said, “We just want to tell you what a beautiful family you have. Your children are so well behaved.” We thanked them and they left. My husband and I just looked at each other and said, “Thank God they caught us on a good night. If only they really knew.” I admit my kids aren’t perfect, although I try my hardest to make them be, but I’m still glad they’re mine.

January 8th, 2008 at 12:33 pm

23. bee says:

No, actually MINE IS much better than everyone else’s… just kidding!

January 8th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

24. Heather says:

Oh, this is great! I think that would make a great bumper sticker too!

January 8th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

25. A&EMom says:

Kind of like how everyone else is the crazy one, huh?

January 8th, 2008 at 12:47 pm

26. Jeana says:

I think I’ll take up cross stitching, for just this purpose.

January 8th, 2008 at 12:54 pm

27. Alice says:

So true! I also remember thinking with my first at the playground that he was so cute that obviously all the other Mommmys were probably comparing him to their kids and wishing he was theirs. Although I knew this was ridiculous…there was a small (ok, not that small) part of me that kind of believed it. Now that I have a second, I’m even more sure it’s true. 🙂

By the way, I’ve been a lurker/reader for awhile. Love your blog..it always makes me think and often makes me laugh.

January 8th, 2008 at 12:58 pm

28. Renna says:

Craking up here!!! ;-Þ

January 8th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

29. Beth_C says:

I find that my kids tend to be more well behaved in public than they are at home. It’s when they walk through the door that they let their “real” selves hang out and boy oh boy do we need the deodorant!

January 8th, 2008 at 1:17 pm

30. Angela says:

HA!!!
      You may be on to something. I have come to terms with the fact that only I think my boy is the cutest little boy in a room full of boys. But the behavior thing, I think you just might have a lot of readers with well-behaved children. I can sit in a room with a bunch of children and without any bias, recognize when my kid is being obnoxious. In general, he’s not. But he thinks obnoxious kids are funny, so then he laughs obnoxiously at obnoxious behavior. I can smell him a mile away when he’s like that.

January 8th, 2008 at 1:21 pm

31. Heidi says:

Actually, I already have that on a pillow…”My kid smells like roses.” Not really.

But it’s true. My daughter’s cry probably seems annoying to many people, but when I hear other babies crying in church or in restaurants, I’m thankful that she has HER cry, not theirs. Weird.

January 8th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

32. Tina says:

Great quote. I love it.

January 8th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

33. CircusKelli says:

Oh, we say that, too and it’s true. We only let our kids hang around with obnoxious kids. ;D

January 8th, 2008 at 1:57 pm

34. Marian says:

That’s one of the most cross-stitchable things I’ve ever heard. I generally think my kids are the worst, though.

January 8th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

35. Sandy says:

Or maybe your blog just attracts common-sense parents like yourself, which gives us all hope that there is indeed hope for the next generation, if not the next Presidential election 🙂

January 8th, 2008 at 2:06 pm

36. Praise and Coffee says:

Ok, I see your point, but the last 2 times I took Lauren to McDonald’s playland, she really WAS the best kid there…I’m just saying…

🙂

January 8th, 2008 at 2:23 pm

37. Barbara H. says:

LOL! That reminds me of a something my grandpa used to say: “By the time you can smell yourself, everyone else has been smelling you for three days.” That probably has its parallel in our views of our children as well.

January 8th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

38. Twisted Cinderella says:

That is soo funny and probably very true.

January 8th, 2008 at 2:32 pm

39. Rocks In My Dryer says:

That is the hardest I have laughed in days. And I’m seriously thinking of stitching it on a pillow for you.

January 8th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

40. staci at laughing mommy says:

So, that means my kids seem brattier to everyone else than they do to me. Just as I suspected.

January 8th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

41. jean says:

I hate to burst your bubble but my son is truly the perfect child. No. Really. I swear he is. Stop laughing.

January 8th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

42. JD says:

So funny! And, Heidi…get out of my head!

January 8th, 2008 at 3:46 pm

43. bubandpie says:

Well, there is that subset of mothers who greatly appreciate the reassurance that yes, your kid really IS much harder to raise than all the others. (Not me, though – my kid is unusually sweet-natured compared to others.)

January 8th, 2008 at 3:55 pm

44. Penelope Anne says:

See other people tell me I have good kids, and I admit my kids behave in public, but I know the truth of what they are really like at home.

January 8th, 2008 at 3:55 pm

45. Erin says:

That’s hysterical. I very well may cross stitch that on a pillow. Those are the sentiments I love the most!

January 8th, 2008 at 4:27 pm

46. Susan says:

I knew my kids had a familiarity about them, now that you mention it…

January 8th, 2008 at 5:10 pm

47. fern says:

Yours might be the best behaved, but mine is the most beautiful, and the smartest and the most talented. And parents all over the world wish they had children just like mine. And my siblings look at me with envy at the perfection of my children–which of course is all my doing. And I continue to live in fantasy land.

January 8th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

48. mama speak says:

maybe it’s the company I keep.

January 8th, 2008 at 7:08 pm

49. Happy Geek says:

I’ll just wait for the t-shirt!

January 8th, 2008 at 7:24 pm

50. mama speak says:

I meant maybe it’s the company YOU keep.

But then I guess you and I might pretty much keep the same company right?

January 8th, 2008 at 7:27 pm

51. Blog Antagonist says:

Heh. Sometimes I think that maybe I really don’t like kids at all and I merely tolerate my own. Other days, I really like my own but can’t stand others. It’s a rare day that I feel really and truly appreciative of the majority of the minority set. But then…I’m grumpy today. Ask me again tomorrow.

January 8th, 2008 at 8:24 pm

52. Elaine says:

It is decidedly so.

January 8th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

53. Jill says:

My pillow would say, “A kid is like your own fart, they only smell good to you.” You know it is true.

January 8th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Jill, that is just so beautiful. Excuse me while I wipe away a tear….

January 8th, 2008 at 10:07 pm

55. Jammie J. says:

Oh, puleease! My kids ARE perfect, because they’re still waiting in my ovarian wings. Ovarian angelic wings, that is. 😛

January 8th, 2008 at 11:34 pm

56. Nett says:

When I was a baby, my Mother was fishing for a compliment from my Grandmother (her Mother) about what a beeeauuuutiful baby I was, especially in comparison to my cousin, who was 3 weeks younger. To which my Grandmother replied, “Well, every ol’ crow thinks his is the blackest.” Respectfully, she showed no favoritism to her two granddaughters. I think it was a wise comment.

January 8th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

57. Sue says:

tee hee

January 9th, 2008 at 12:27 am

58. Sarcastic Mom says:

Well… that one time we were at storytime at the library and Braden walked up behind a random baby and slapped it in the head for no reason, I was so, so SO not thinking that. No ma’am. Not even a little.

January 9th, 2008 at 1:30 am

59. Tam says:

So true. I once read in “Parents” magazine that something like 85% of parents believe that they are better disciplinarians than their friends or relatives. I think the article was called “I’m ok, but you’re a wimp!” Anyway, I have to go now because I think I smell someone’s BO…

January 9th, 2008 at 11:57 am

60. Sally says:

I remember having the same thought when my girls were younger-then they became teenagers………….

January 11th, 2008 at 3:33 am

61. Steph says:

The laughs you ladies give me, are such a welcome gift! Remember though…just like Sally said “UNTIL they become teenagers”…she was SPOT ON, and all I can say is –you just wait– LOL

January 13th, 2008 at 2:09 am