• Sometimes You Get That For Which You Have Asked

February 8, 2008

Last month I wrote an introspective post about how I want Sean to own his faith. That it is my prayer and my desire that though his own life experiences and the process of critical thinking, he come to own his faith rather than merely inherit mine.

Apparently God heard my prayer and went right to work.

Every once in a while, perhaps when the moon is full or there is something itchy in the air, kids are just insanely energetic.  Wednesday night was like that.  When I dropped Sean off at his Bible class, the room was swarming with screaming, laughing, running insane three and four-year-olds. And one shell-shocked grown-up standing in center of the melee wearing a glazed over expression.

When I offered to stay and help, she shook her head vigorously yes and then wiped the drool from the corner of her mouth.  That’s not true.  That was me, I was the one with the drool.  Ms. Deanna is a pro with those kids, but she was quick to accept my offer to help.

Ms. Deanna had those miniature maniacs sweet little blessings rounded up in no time and gathered quietly around her.  Sean adores Ms. Deanna and had managed to secure a prime piece of real estate, right under her feet where he could better gaze upon her with adoration.

My job was to sit in the back and catch anyone who tried to make an escape.

Ms. Deanna told the story of how the angel came to Mary and told her she would be the mother of God’s child.  All the children were in awe and silence fell over the room as she showed them a picture of the angel and Mary.

And then with a wrinkled nose, my critical thinker pipes up, “Well that’s kinda weird!”

Indeed, it is kinda weird.

Almost everything he is going to read in the Bible is kinda weird and that is the hurdle of faith for the critical thinker.

1. fern says:

Good for you! In my work and life I meet so many parents who want their children to believe just as they do (be it religion, politics,etc), teach their children to ask questions, and then are surprised when they have their own ideas.

And, the Bible is pretty weird and not everyone in the Bible should be a role model for our children (or for us).

February 8th, 2008 at 9:37 am

2. Janelle says:

I love this post! It sounds like something that one of my boys would say. He’s a smart little guy to be able to recognize the “weirdness” and is turning out just as you hope!

February 8th, 2008 at 9:47 am

3. happy geek says:

Amen. Faith is what enables us to get past the kinda weird and see the truly wonderful.

February 8th, 2008 at 10:01 am

4. Jenny867-5309 says:

Funny…I had that same kind of response to my devotions yesterday. I love it when little ones are paying attention to their Sunday School lessons enough to say, “Huh??”

February 8th, 2008 at 10:23 am

5. Praise and Coffee says:

*smile*
      Love that boy.

Ironically, I had a discussion with my 19 year old son last night about the virgin birth of Christ. It seems his college professor would like to argue against this truth. But, like Sean, my son has been taught since he could breathe that the Word of God is true. Now he’s defending that faith that he’s taken as his own.

Makes a mother’s heart happy.

February 8th, 2008 at 10:34 am

6. Daneen says:

Wow – what an introspective boy you have! Love it.

I found your blog through my friend, Addie’s, blog. I, too, am an “antique” mommy, though I didn’t get quite as late a start. We went thru the whole gamut of infert stuff and adopted our beautiful daughter when I was 34. We are in the process of adopting our 2nd baby — and I turn 40 in April.

I feel a bit nuts at times, but know how blessed I am for this life I’ve been given. No doubt I will return to your blog to get advice and just to feel normal.
      Thanks! d

(btw, I like “antique” MUCH better than “older” mom!!)

February 8th, 2008 at 11:05 am

7. momhuebert says:

“Kinda Weird.” That’s quite a statement, because 1) he has enough knowledge and thinking power to recognize the weirdness; unlike many four-years-olds– and others– who just accept everything in a fairytale kind of way, and then later find their faith being attacked as a fairytale; and 2) he had enough guts to speak up! When he makes a choice for faith, he won’t be easily shaken.

February 8th, 2008 at 11:09 am

8. Heidi says:

So true. My husband, another critical thinker, is still wrestling through a lot of that “weird” stuff. Like hell…and how a God who loves his creation could predestine people to go there. These are not easy issues, and I pray that Sean will have the grace of God with him to get through them.

February 8th, 2008 at 11:18 am

9. misslisslee says:

“kinda weird” — just another word for miraculous. A big hurdle for the critical thinker. I pray that my two critical thinkers (maybe that’s just another word for argumentative boys?) have teachers who take their questions seriously and look for the serious answers.

February 8th, 2008 at 11:26 am

10. Jane says:

Ohhhh how wonderful this post is. My mother and I were just discussing this issue with a “somewhat” believer. We were discussing how difficult it is to explain the Bible to our children when they question everything with “Why?” and we don’t have all the answers. All we can tell them is we believe bacause we have faith and we pray they will, too, have a faith of their own.

February 8th, 2008 at 11:31 am

11. Laura J. says:

I think it’s cool that you “happened” to stay and were able to see your little critical thinker listening and participating in the lesson. Kind of one of those “fly on the wall” moments I wish there were more of …

And he is just adorable.

February 8th, 2008 at 11:34 am

12. Jeana says:

Hahahaha!

Wait’ll he hears about Balem and the donkey.

February 8th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been reading through Matthew with the kids. We were in ch. 20 where Jesus point blank tells the disciples what was going to happen to him and The Girl said, “You mean Jesus told them exactly what was going to happen to him and the disciples were still like ‘Duuuuh. What’s going on here?’ (Pause) Good grief. They just didn’t get it, did they?”

If only she realized how often that same thing could be said of me.

February 8th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

14. bee says:

The boy has a point! He sure is a smart one!

February 8th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

15. Just Mom says:

😀

He sure is one smart cookie.

February 8th, 2008 at 2:36 pm

16. Tom says:

Wonderful! Keep praying and modeling faith for him.

February 8th, 2008 at 2:37 pm

17. Kacey says:

“Something itchy in the air”? That’s one of the greatest lines I have ever read! Having raised three children and now having eight grands; I know about that itchy air, but could not have expressed it. Sean’s weirdness is an expression of super intelligence…. he’s going to be a ton of fun as a teenager. Just claim Proverbs 22:6 for him and God will do the rest.

February 8th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

18. Kathy/lessons from the laundry says:

Excellent post. All kids need to know there is lots of weird and mysterious stuff about faith, that is part of the beauty of believing.

February 8th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

19. zoom says:

Isn’t God marvelous? I adored that story.

February 8th, 2008 at 4:26 pm

20. Shayne says:

Hey there AM…it’s been a while since I’ve been here (or anywhere for that matter) but you never disappoint. Keep it coming.

February 8th, 2008 at 6:50 pm

21. jean says:

Good for him. I’m so glad he is questioning and commenting on it. And an extra bonus for you, for encouraging him.

February 8th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

22. Susan says:

I really enjoy reading your blog and to show my thanks I have nominated you for the You Make My Day Award. Thanks for your words that stimulate, inspire and bring both tears and laughter. Thanks Antique Mommy.

February 9th, 2008 at 4:04 am

23. Deanna says:

Little kids are just too cute! We’re preparing for ‘the talk’ with our youngest daughter. I’ll be curious to see how she connects the two things now with Jesus and his birth! lol

February 9th, 2008 at 6:42 am

24. Ortizzle says:

LOL. And since life is kinda weird, you know he’s getting the right kind of preparation for it.

The best part is that he doesn’t feel too inhibited to say that. I remember having transubstantiation explained to me when I was six and preparing to make my First Holy Communion. If only I had been allowed to think that was kinda weird, I might have begun to grasp it. A few years down the road…

February 9th, 2008 at 9:29 am

25. Dee/reddirtramblings says:

Boy, now kidding. Rational thought needs to be thrown out when speaking of faith.

Faith is to believe what we do not see; and the reward of this faith is to see what we believe.
      – Saint Aurelius Augustine (Augustine of Hippo)

Also, that we do “walk by faith and not by sight” as stated by Paul in Second Corinthians.

Goodness, if God expected me to rationalize my faith, I would be in trouble. Thanks for another humorous and touching post.~~Dee

February 9th, 2008 at 11:25 am

26. Sister Honey Bunch says:

First Happy Birthday from a fellow antique mom.

My son had a similar experience this week when I was reading to him from his Easter book. I repeated Jesus “Take, eat this is my body” and heard a large “Eeww, YUCK!” from my kid.

February 9th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

27. Miss Sniz says:

Hmmm. I never worded it like that, but you’re so right.

February 9th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

28. Beck says:

Sean is a wonderful kid – and I find myself with rather a sinking heart when I’m asked to help at Sunday School.
      Hey, Happy birthday to you!

February 9th, 2008 at 6:59 pm

29. Chris says:

“and that is the hurdle of faith for the critical thinker” AMEN! I loved this post. Sean’s right. It IS weird. God is unexplainable. But your guy is whippet-smart. You’re gonna have lots more fun!

February 9th, 2008 at 9:40 pm

30. a Tonggu Momma says:

I just found your blog and am so pleased I stumbled across it. I look forward to reading more. My husband is also a critical thinker. It took him almost thirty years to learn he needed to let go and push the “I believe” button. 🙂

February 10th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

31. Gretchen says:

It has to be kinda weird to cope with the likes of us “kinda weird” people.

Very cute.

February 10th, 2008 at 11:17 pm

32. AB says:

…which is exactly why I have issues with something whose success requires that I not think about it. Lifelong issues, my friend.

February 11th, 2008 at 11:52 am

33. lindsey eason says:

from the mouths of babes….eh?! 😉

February 11th, 2008 at 12:21 pm

34. Julia says:

There are many different ways to read and interpret the bible…or any holy book… Through my years of faith I have found (being a critical thinker) that reading between the lines is the important part… getting the ‘gist’ of the story. Every part of the bible is there to teach us how to behave, how to have strength when there is none, how to treat our friends/family/people on the street etc. I know that a lot of people will argue this point but I really believe that the bible was not written to be interpretted word for word! Good for Sean!!! Thinking outside the box from within the box! Smart boy!

February 11th, 2008 at 4:09 pm

35. Nikolaj says:

That’s great! Thanks for posting this. It makes my day. And it really shows that he isn’t just taking it fairytale like, but like a real event. We would find it a bit weird too if an angel showed up I think. (I’m pentecostal, but when they appear, it’s the others that see them and not me :))

You’re blessed with a child that really believes. Great!

March 6th, 2008 at 11:57 am