• Walk, Act, Be

February 18, 2008

Sunday afternoon was especially lazy here at the House of Antique.  It was cloudy and gray and cold outside, which suited my mood. It was a perfect day for turning inward, shutting the world away and hanging out with my small tribe.

I sat at my desk in the kitchen simultaneously watching Sean play in the den while I half-heartedly read email and tried not Google glycosuria.

“Mom,” he called to me, “come in here and play pirate with me.”

I did not want to play pirate. I wanted to sit at my desk and nurse my anxieties. I wanted to stew and worry about what might happen in the coming week.

“Well, I don’t really know how to be a pirate,” I said, hoping he’d ask his father instead, who without question would make a much better pirate.

But he would not be dissuaded.

“C’mon mom, I’ll teach you!”

“Oh? Is there some sort of pirate training that you offer?”

“You don’t need any training!” he said rather scornfully, “You just walk like a pirate, you just act like a pirate – you just BE a pirate!”

That was the best advice I had heard all day.

At that moment, I vowed that I would not allow future worries to rob me of present joy.  I closed the lid to my laptop.  I walked away from my desk and my future worries and into the den to be a pirate.

In the coming week I will walk like someone who has her stuff together, I will act like someone who has her stuff together – and maybe, just maybe, I might just BE someone who has her stuff together.

And if I can’t pull that off, then I’ll just walk like a pirate.

1. Hanlie says:

You will pull it off! And it will be all right…

February 18th, 2008 at 1:45 am

2. jen elslager says:

God walks with you, dear one.

February 18th, 2008 at 4:04 am

3. Heidi says:

The wisdom that comes from the mouths of babes! Astonishing.

February 18th, 2008 at 6:44 am

4. Yew Nork Babe says:

One thing that always keeps me together is that I trust God has me exactly where He wants me. (Right now I am unemployed, just relocated to a new state, engaged to a wonderful man who lives 3 miles away and has his own mortgage and expenses to pay, and for some reason I know that God will help me work it all out.) He is right there by your side every step of the way. Always.

February 18th, 2008 at 7:39 am

Or just squinch up your face and growl “AAaarrrrr” at anybody who so much as looks at you.

February 18th, 2008 at 8:13 am

6. Becca says:

Amen.

February 18th, 2008 at 8:14 am

7. Beth_C says:

AAARGGH! Matey, I think you already ARE a pirate!

Best wishes this week and I hope all turns out well with any doctor visits.

February 18th, 2008 at 8:39 am

8. Katina says:

Praying for you this morning…

February 18th, 2008 at 9:14 am

9. fern says:

Lotta wisdom at your house.

February 18th, 2008 at 9:19 am

10. bonniebeth says:

Thank You – Thank You – Thank You for the reminder to be a pirate while you can – while you are still asked – while the boy still thinks you are the best choice ever! You might have regrets later in life, but being a pirate will not be one of them.

February 18th, 2008 at 9:22 am

11. a Tonggu Momma says:

I have an eye patch and a spyglass from an old Halloween costume. But I don’t think I’ll need to send them to you. God’s walking right beside you.

February 18th, 2008 at 9:24 am

12. Robin says:

As someone who spends a lot of time being Dora/Diego/Baby Jaguar, I can relate! Bonniebeth puts it well to say we should be grateful we are still asked!

February 18th, 2008 at 9:38 am

13. jen says:

Absolutely…you can do this. You have to. Some things us moms just have to do.

February 18th, 2008 at 9:41 am

14. pam says:

Don’t try to have your “stuff together.” Just walk, act, be Sean’s mom and God’s daughter, His princess. That’s all He’s asked of you. He will do all the rest and more.

I am praying for you today, dear AM, and I pray He carries you through the next days, even when you don’t have your “stuff together.”

Sending a hug!

February 18th, 2008 at 9:43 am

15. Teri says:

Sometimes to “Just Be” is the best you can be at that given moment. You’re going to be fine whatever comes. You know why? Because you’re the MOMMY and Mommy’s are always okay even when we don’t know how we’re going to take the next breathe. I think it’s a rule or some such nonsense.

February 18th, 2008 at 9:55 am

16. Praise and Coffee says:

That’s just the advice I also need after a rough week. Thanks Sean!

Sue

February 18th, 2008 at 10:13 am

17. Jeana says:

If that doesn’t work either, you could always walk like an Egyptian.

February 18th, 2008 at 10:24 am

I think just walking like a Mommy covers most bases. 🙂

February 18th, 2008 at 10:25 am

19. happy geek says:

Sometimes the “what ifs” are even harder to deal with the the “what is”. Arrrr.

February 18th, 2008 at 10:34 am

20. CircusKelli says:

“…then I’ll just walk like a pirate…”

It’s good to have a backup plan. I don’t really think you’ll need it, though.

February 18th, 2008 at 10:35 am

21. Cindy says:

Girl, where does God ever ask us to have our stuff together? That’s why we have him! 🙂 He’ll carry you through these next few weeks. You just be a pirate until someone tells you that you have to be someone else, and enjoy piratedom.

February 18th, 2008 at 10:40 am

22. AB says:

That philosophy gets two “hooks up”–er–“thumbs up” from me!

February 18th, 2008 at 10:55 am

23. zoom says:

First, you need a parrot and a peg leg… then a ho ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Actually, our minister discussed fear yesterday. He quoted Paul from I Timothy and John Wayne. You probably know the Timothy verse.

John Wayne said, ” Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyway.” When you get tired of being a pirate, you can be a cowgirl for awhile. Giddy up.

February 18th, 2008 at 10:57 am

24. simply me says:

Leave it to a child to give the very best advice….I like the John Wayne quote from Zoom as well.

February 18th, 2008 at 11:43 am

25. Jean Stockdale says:

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord lift up His countence upon you and give you peace.

It is in the quiet moments of crisis that God crystalizes the realities of our faith. It is how He weeds out what we say we believe and we we actually beleive. And, dear one, I think you beleive right! Blessings.

February 18th, 2008 at 11:55 am

26. Julie says:

If you decide to be a pirate instead, take pictures.

Blessing all over the House of Antique.

February 18th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

27. Tracy says:

thank you. I needed to read this today.

February 18th, 2008 at 12:49 pm

28. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Argh.

(Translation: Praying for peace and joy for you this week. And lemon verbena wax to use on the peg-leg.)

February 18th, 2008 at 1:09 pm

29. Elizabeth says:

Out of the mouths of babes!! Arrrgh!!

February 18th, 2008 at 1:21 pm

30. Mrs. Nehemiah says:

as a battle cry AAaaarg! is pretty good! & if being a pirate doesn’t work you can fall back on Mama Bear!

Actually I was gonna say something else but Jeanna stole my line!

Mrs N

February 18th, 2008 at 2:01 pm

31. Renna says:

Out of the mouths of babes!

Remember, walk by faith, not by sight….and like a pirate, of course. 😉

February 18th, 2008 at 2:38 pm

32. Karen @ Simply A Musing Blog says:

You may not have to walk at all – Jesus might just carry you through this. 🙂

February 18th, 2008 at 4:26 pm

33. Aunt LoLo says:

I’ve always thought that God subscribes to the “fake it till you make it” method. When I was a missionary, if I just walked like a missionary, acted like a missionary, and tried my hardest to think like one, I knew that God would make me an acceptable messenger and would teach me Chinese to boot! (I was working in Hong Kong.)

Fake it, sister…you’ll get through.

February 18th, 2008 at 4:50 pm

34. Kacey says:

My husband and I have been praying for The House of Antique since your first post about his glycosuria. I couldn’t resist checking out the subject further— I’m praying for renal glycosuria —an inherited recessive autosomal trait with no symptoms and no problems. (just like his hair and eye color) I know you will walk like a pirate all week with Sean being your head pirate. (The gold is stashed in his hair!)

February 18th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

35. Sabrina says:

Cute!

February 18th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

36. Nicole @ Life in Progress says:

Just wanted to say that I will pray for you. My oldest daughter is just a few months younger than Sean and I know I would be attached to WebMD if our family was in the same situation. Good for you for choosing to walk like a pirate. He’ll remember that.

February 18th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

37. Sally says:

Often the best advice comes from children. They don’t have the worries that we adults have, and sometimes we need to really listen to what they are saying, like in this pirate example.

February 18th, 2008 at 11:23 pm

38. jeanne a says:

My son (now 17) loved pirates for a lot of years when he was a kid. HE had two pirate themed birthday parties—in K and 2nd grade. Today was reminded of them and Sean when I saw pirate bandaids at Zummiez. (Or does it only have one ‘m’.)

You and your pirate are in my thoughts and prayers.

February 18th, 2008 at 11:35 pm

39. JCK says:

Such a blessing our children and their imaginations. Being in the moment with them…scatters the worries away. At least for a while… I wish you peaceful resolution and no more worry!

February 19th, 2008 at 2:38 am

40. Tina says:

The very kids that cause you the agony also pull you out of yourself and back into the real world. I have found this to be true. In the past when I have felt like not getting out of bed they’ve forced me to get a grip and keep on living. Keep your chin up and you’ll get stronger every day-for your sons sake. ( I also recommend finding a safe place to fall apart -ocassionaly and just for a time)

February 19th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Fake it til you make it? Been there, done that. Sometimes it’s the best answer to many of the things that get thrown our way.

Praying for you still…

February 19th, 2008 at 2:04 pm

42. Dee/reddirtramblings says:

Goodness Girl! I leave for four days on a trip with my hubby and look what happens (as if my being at home would have stopped it :P) I am so sorry you had the 85 lb. n-p experience. I’ve had bad experiences with docs too, so I’m not that trusting about the medical profession.

I loved your pirate analogy. When I’m scared, I’ll remember it and just “walk and talk like a pirate.” Good advice, little one.~~Dee

February 19th, 2008 at 8:05 pm

43. Debbie says:

My favorite sorta-poem:

When you are the neediest,
      He is the most sufficient.
      When you are completely helpless,
      He is the most helpful.
      When you feel totally dependent,
      He is absolutely dependable.
      When you are the weakest,
      He is the most able.
      When you are the most alone,
      He is intimately present.
      When you feel you are the least,
      He is the greatest.
      When you feel the most useless,
      He is preparing you.
      When it is the darkest,
      He is the only Light you need.
      When you feel the least secure,
      He is your Rock and Fortress.
      When you are the most humble,
      He is most gracious.
      When you can’t,
      He can.

You’ll all be in my prayers!

February 19th, 2008 at 9:48 pm

44. Barb @ A Chelsea Morning says:

Just last night, I heard on the O’Reilly Factor that the smart thing to do is to stay away from all the “helpful” medical sites out here. Do NOT Google glycosuria.

I did. And I’m assuming this is a possibility.

I so hope not, AM, but I’ll say this. No matter how this comes out, you’re going to amaze yourself. You’re going to be surprised how strong you really are.

We do what we have to do. I have all the confidence in the world in you.

February 21st, 2008 at 7:20 pm

45. ~*~ Jennifer ~*~ says:

They have a day for this ya know… act like a pirate day… good practice for days when you’d actually need it. LOL

Arrrggghhh…