• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Y’all Are So Creative

February 26, 2008

Well that was fun!  Shall we do that again sometime? I loved reading your answers. You made me laugh.

Here is the shot in it’s original form, but turned upright.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

As you can see, it’s a cake! A half-eaten grocery-store birthday cake.  It took me longer to figure that out than it did you.

So then, the randomly chosen winner is Sarah!  Miss Sarah, here is your fabulous prize-like prize package (insert applause and Vanna-like gesture here).

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

- Two 5.3oz Lindt Petits Desserts chocolate bars, retail value $2.99 each. Now that’s my idea of dessert!

- A slightly used Twinkie Cook Book from Half Price Books, valued at $5.98! According to the cover, inside you will find “an inventive and unexpected recipie collection”.  Learn how to make Twinkie Grasshoppers and Twinkie Ka-bobs! Yummo!

But wait! There’s more!

- Valued at $9.29, you will also receive a 10oz package of Starbucks “Limited Reserve” coffee.  They ain’t selling the limited stuff to just anybody ya’ know.  Well, actually they are, but it says it’s rare and exquisite right on the package and who am I to argue with Starbucks.

A $25 Target gift card valued at $25.

And finally, a one-of-a-kind watercolor by up and coming artist Sean, bringing your prize package up to a grand total of $2,046.25!

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

Obviously this is a picture of a cake.

Congratulations Sarah! Email me and let me know where to send this stuff!  Y’all, Sarah teaches kindergarten. She needs the chocolate.

So then, yes, I had a birthday a while back, hence the cake.  Had I been feeling well, there would not have been a half-eaten cake to photograph.

I love to celebrate my birthday and do not understand those who do not.  I always celebrate my birthday because I want to make sure God knows how much I like and appreciate his gift of another year of life, no matter how many new lines it has brought to my face.  Having said that, today I offer a gentle reminder to my young readers who are not yet familiar with the business end of a pair of tweezers to look in the mirror and know that no matter how bad you think you look, ten years from now you will wish you looked as good. Trust me.

Here now, my life flashed before your eyes.

Photos Temporarily Unavailable

And finally, I leave you with another shot Sean took recently, this one of me with Wivian and Papa Ed, the people who spawned me.  It kind of captures something about who we are and I really like it.  It makes me happy.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

1. Praise and Coffee says:

Congrats to Sarah!

Happy Birthday to you! Love the pictures, especially the “pensive, pre-antique you” of ’78!
      Hugs,
      Sue

February 26th, 2008 at 7:21 am

2. Happy Geek says:

Happy Birthday A.M.
      I’m with ya on celebrating birthdays, I just enjoy the narcissm. It’s not too often that something is all about me, so I take it when I can get it!

February 26th, 2008 at 9:18 am

3. Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! says:

Oh AM, I wish you had of told us it was your birthday so we could properly celebrate you on the actual day! :)

But, late as it is, Happy Birthday!

February 26th, 2008 at 9:31 am

4. Heidi says:

Happy belated, AM!

Loved the photo history, too. Your baby photo is just precious.

And who knew that you used to be a supermodel!

February 26th, 2008 at 9:39 am

5. Lori says:

Ha, those could be *my* photos from childhood, lol! Born the same year, and remember the Disco Days, hee! Cute photo’s and belated Happy Birthday!

February 26th, 2008 at 9:39 am

6. Carola says:

Why interior design? you should have aimed to be a top model!

February 26th, 2008 at 9:49 am

Yes Carola, at 5’2 all the agencies wanted to sign me. As you can see from the photos, I peaked at 18 during the disco era.

February 26th, 2008 at 9:58 am

Huh, I didn’t see that one as pensive, I saw it as barely-maybe-legal hottie jailbait!

And I totally agree that you always look back a few years and wish you looked that good again, even when we thought we were hideous at the time. Though it horrifies me to imagine how I could possibly look worse than I do now. :-o

February 26th, 2008 at 10:01 am

9. shayne says:

Maybe you should change the name of your blog to H*tMommy.

Congrats Sarah!

February 26th, 2008 at 10:11 am

10. CircusKelli says:

Well then! Happy late birthday! :)

February 26th, 2008 at 10:17 am

11. Kai says:

You had cake…like LEFTOVER??? I didn’t know such a thing existed!

congrats to Sarah!

February 26th, 2008 at 10:21 am

12. Sarah S. says:

I didn’t know my prize was going to include some priceless artwork! HOW exciting! And the chocolate? That just MIGHT get me through until Spring Break! (I actually teach 2nd grade — the thought of teaching Kindergarten makes me break out in hives — but plenty-o-chocolate is called for all the same!)

You have just always had your bouncin’ and behavin’ hair, haven’t you? Man, I would have coveted your feathers in 1978!

February 26th, 2008 at 10:26 am

13. Jill says:

Happy Belated Birthday!

February 26th, 2008 at 10:27 am

14. zoom says:

You have great hair in every single picture. Which makes me a jealous wreck.

February 26th, 2008 at 10:30 am

Shayne, Yes, Hot Mommy as in H*t Flash Mommy. Except I don’t even have those anymore since they removed my h*t flashing equipment.

Zoom, No I don’t have great hair, I just have a lot of hair. Photos lie. I have a big head of frizzy, wavy, straw-like hair.

February 26th, 2008 at 10:39 am

16. Starnes Friend says:

Wow! I remember the you of ’68 and ’78. Should I scan in more pictures to show the nice people?? I was thinking of the tennis team picture from ’77. You look sultry in that one too. But I would NEVER do that to such a good friend… :) That is a nice picture of you and your folks. I haven’t seen them in years.

Happy Belated Birthday!
      Jeremiah (aka Jerry)

February 26th, 2008 at 10:49 am

17. Pat says:

Happy birthday! I love birthdays, too – very thankful for them!! I always celebrate in sometimes small, always meaningful ways. Congratulations, Sarah! Beautiful picture by Sean. Love your family picture, too. Always special.

February 26th, 2008 at 11:03 am

18. Jenny says:

Happy Belated Birthday, AM! I love celebrating my birthday too.

February 26th, 2008 at 11:09 am

19. Amy Nathan says:

Happy Birthday to you! I’m a February birthday too! I knew I liked for so many reasons!

HUGS! xo

February 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am

20. Elizabeth says:

Dear AM,
      Happy Birthday! And, many more!

February 26th, 2008 at 11:41 am

21. Stephanie says:

Love your pictures – I think you look younger in your 28 year old picture than your 18 year old picture. Good looks don’t fade =)

February 26th, 2008 at 11:57 am

22. Kacey says:

Nice pictures! The 1988 one? Are you related to Shelly Long? Cheers!

February 26th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

23. daring one says:

Happy late birthday!

February 26th, 2008 at 12:16 pm

24. imagine community says:

I love 1978! What a year! But the joy in the 2008 photo with Sean beats all.

February 26th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

25. Beck says:

Happy birthday! You are a lovely, lovely woman.

February 26th, 2008 at 12:19 pm

26. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Love your birthday attitude. It’s one I share. I’m thankful for every year God gives me, even if it means another year of bodily decay.

February 26th, 2008 at 12:20 pm

27. Barb @ A Chelsea Morning says:

What a fun post! Congratulations to Sarah and a belated happy birthday to you.

February 26th, 2008 at 12:51 pm

28. Susan J. says:

You DO have great hair, don’t argue. You are not really 5’2″, are you? I am 5’4″ and would have sworn you are taller than me. Granted, that still does not qualify either of us for model height.
      Loved the pics. Happy belated b-day!

February 26th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

29. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda Been Worse) says:

Oooohh A.M., look at YOU in 1978. Vavavoom. And 1988? I know a headshot when I see one. Did you do some commercial work? Come clean.

Anyhoo, Happy Birthday again, sweet girl. You are gorgeous!

And we need to talk about this whole Ralph Nader connection. :)

February 26th, 2008 at 1:09 pm

30. kittyhox says:

Happiest of birthdays to you!

What a beautiful baby! And child. And adult. :)

February 26th, 2008 at 1:11 pm

31. Pendullum says:

Happy Happy Birthday…
      Sarah is one pretty lucky lady to have won such a priceless painting by such a great artist…

February 26th, 2008 at 1:14 pm

32. jen says:

Happy Birthday. And while I’m here I have to say I’m all about that 1978 look….I hope you have a fantastic day gal.

February 26th, 2008 at 1:21 pm

33. happy Mommy says:

Happy Happy Birthday! I love the pictures, you look like a model in the 70’s and 80’s my favorite is with Sean…

February 26th, 2008 at 1:59 pm

34. Annie says:

I was about to comment on the 1978 look and then saw how many people commented on it. You totally look like a model.

February 26th, 2008 at 2:01 pm

35. bee says:

I love the pics!! Happy Birthday!

February 26th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

36. Beth_C says:

Congrats to Sarah! That looks like an awesome prize package. You can’t go wrong with chocolate, Starbucks AND a Target giftcard.

And Antique Mommy – you are beautiful!

February 26th, 2008 at 2:50 pm

37. Photochick (Amanda) says:

Happy Birthday!!! Those pictures are absolutely stunning! I agree with everyone – you totally could’a been a model.

And I wanna know – who had the funniest entry for the photo contest while you were reading through? I wasn’t exactly going for being ‘right’ since I had NO CLUE what it actually was…!

Love to you & yours – take care and God Bless!

February 26th, 2008 at 2:51 pm

38. Sheila at Dodging Raindrops says:

Happy Birthday! Look at you in 1978! Wow!

I had NO CLUE what that photo was. :)

February 26th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

1978? Hubba hubba.

1988? Gah! I could only wish too have looked that good that year.

2008? You never looked better, AM. That is one beautiful smile you’ve got there.

Sarah: Lucky duck! (And congrats!)

February 26th, 2008 at 3:33 pm

40. Common Mom says:

Happy Belated Birthday! I, too, love my birthday . . . I just don’t understand those who don’t like to celebrate their birthday – what a gift it is!

Great photos . . . and Sean is a doll!

February 26th, 2008 at 3:46 pm

41. diXymiss says:

A fun post containing a satisfying number of my favorite X-words. While the Starbucks is probably delish, I’d reserve the “rare & eXquisite” adjectives for that family portrait by your shutterbug son!

February 26th, 2008 at 4:00 pm

42. Joanna says:

Man, Shawn is getting big! What a cutie. And you? Stay humble if you must but we can all see what a hottie you are – then and now.
      I look at my grandparents and I think we have a St. Bernard in the gene pool. Sigh.

February 26th, 2008 at 4:03 pm

43. Sally says:

Happy Belated Birthday!! I, too, love to celebrate my birthday. Another year God has blessed me with, and age is just a number anyway.
      Love the photos, and that prize package looks delicious to someone with such a sweet tooth as I have!! Not to metion the priceless artwork by Sean (I LOVE how you included that!!) I guess next time I will actually have to TRY to guess what the photo is and maybe I will be randomly selected to receive such great prizes!!

February 26th, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and warm wishes. You sure know how to make an old gal feel good!

February 26th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

45. Joan Gambill says:

Here I go again. Sigh. I don’t know why that is a birthday cake of any type. Please, please explain the photo. I made more sense of it when it was wrong. sigh

February 26th, 2008 at 8:30 pm

46. midlife mommy says:

I had a (fortunately) non-malignant tumor on my spinal cord that was discovered in 1998. I remember looking in the mirror, during the time when I didn’t know that it wasn’t malignant, and promising God that if I lived to actually grow grey hairs, I wouldn’t complain about them. There are a few now, but I still remember my promise. (But, it it sinful to pull them out, without complaining about them?)

February 26th, 2008 at 9:32 pm

47. Jenny, Bloggess says:

Lady, you are hot.

For reals.

February 26th, 2008 at 9:40 pm

48. edj says:

Happy Birthday, a bit late. Sean’s got quite the eye!

February 26th, 2008 at 11:16 pm

49. mama speak says:

Happy, Happy Birthday.

Loved the pix montage. I only wish I looked as good as you do now and I’m 10 years younger. But none of your pix compare to the one w/Sean. Somehow you just beam when he’s nearby. How come we never see pix w/Antique Dadddy?

February 27th, 2008 at 2:52 am

50. Lisa says:

Happy Birthday! I am all about celebrating too! I hear you on the tweezers!! Ugh! Nice pics–thanks for sharing!

February 27th, 2008 at 12:30 pm

51. Shannon says:

You know, you don’t look all that much different decade to decade – most particularly between 1998 and 2008. And you can certainly see that Sean’s your son! Happy Happy Birthday….

February 28th, 2008 at 12:51 am

52. Paulla says:

Hi – I don’t think I’ve commented here before, but I’ve enjoyed your blog since I found it a few months back. These pictures are great – what a neat idea.

Have a good day ~ :)