• Let It Snow! At Least Enough To Build A Snowman

March 4, 2008

The south is a land of extremes.

Saturday, I wore shorts and sunscreen.

Last night, two days later, we got our annual snowfall.

Just after dark, big fat wet fluffy flakes began falling from the heavens.  We went to bed dreaming of making snowmen and snow angels in the morning.

If Sean wants to make a snowman I’ll have to send him up on the roof as that is where most of the snow has accumulated.

* * * * *

The last time we had a decent snow around here was on Valentines day, 2004. Sean was three months old.

Photo Temporarily Unavailable

This morning this boy and his father managed to cobble together enough snow to make a snowball. They lured me outside clad only in my hot pink chenille robe to see this snowball with the request that I take a picture of it.  I am so gullible.  And then they chased me around the yard and threw it at me.

Never trust a boy with a snowball.

1. Lysa TerKeurst says:

Growing up in Florida, I was always jealous of my snow bird friends. They lived in places where snow was big enough to make Frosty and seemed to almost take it forgranted.

Then one year my Dad heard that the temps were going to drop below freezing. We prayed and prayed for snow. But my Dad knew that there would be no snow without a little help. So, after putting us to bed on that unusually cold night, he set up the sprinkler in the front yard.

We woke up to the most beautiful winter wonderland you can ever imagine. We still didn’t get to make a snowman but we sure did attract a lot of attention in the neighborhood!

March 4th, 2008 at 10:43 am

2. Becca says:

My SIL in Joaquin told me they were expecting snow last night. Guess she got it after all! We talked on the phone for an hour as her weather went from sunny to stormy. Texas IS the land of extremes!

March 4th, 2008 at 10:43 am

3. Karen (Simply A Musing Blog) says:

I live in East Texas and it snowed here too. Two days ago it was 75 degrees and today it’s 34 with snow on the ground. Go figure. Guess that’s why the old timers say, “If you don’t like the weather, stick around…it’ll change.”

March 4th, 2008 at 10:44 am

4. Sarah says:

Please, try to contain the jealousy of snow. I haven’t seen my yard since November. I haven’t seen 45 degrees since about the same time. We spent a month below 10 degrees. While I would gladly trade in my 9 months of snow for an occasional snowfall, I’m also pretty sure I’d melt in the Texas heat. So probably for me, the grass is always greener, and for you the snow is always whiter.

March 4th, 2008 at 10:55 am

5. Rachel May says:

I’m in Central Texas. Yesterday a.m., I got in my car at 6:00 a.m. to go to work, and the thermometer read 72 degress. Thirty minutes later, when I got to work in a town about 20 miles east, it read 52 degrees.

Love them cold fronts.

March 4th, 2008 at 11:06 am

6. jeanne a says:

The other day I was commenting on the fluxuation of temps for one day. When I sent the high school kids on the bus at 7 AM it was 2 below zero. I begged my son to wear a coat—even if it’s not cool. By the end of the day it was above 30!

We’re expecting yet another storm today. It’s making me weary. That and no sleep from a daughter that was throwing up all night.

March 4th, 2008 at 11:28 am

7. Diana says:

To make a Texas snowman, put out big plastic tarps in your yard the night before. That way you can gather all the snow together rather than losing it to the dirt and grass.

March 4th, 2008 at 11:36 am

8. happy Mommy says:

Here on the other side of the country we had little snow here this year either. We normally have at least one really good snow… Not this year.

March 4th, 2008 at 11:42 am

9. Cate says:

I lived in Texas for a while, and it is a land of extremes. Now I live in snow country, and I sometimes miss the Texas winters. Notice I didn’t say the Texas summers. Good gawd! How do you people stand it?!

March 4th, 2008 at 11:45 am

10. Krista says:

It only seems like there’s more snow on the roof because it’s a flat surface. On the grass it sinks in between the blades! 😉
      I know, we get a TON of snow around here. But thankfully ours all melted a couple weeks ago and I’m hoping we don’t get more. I’m ready for spring!

March 4th, 2008 at 12:31 pm

11. Lisa says:

We got some of that snow in our part of Texas, but we got a bit more of it. This is big news in blogland! My daughter has a report on her blog today! (Buffaloes & Butterfly Wings)

March 4th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

12. Common Mom says:

Oh HEAVENS no! NEVER trust a boy with a snowball 😉

March 4th, 2008 at 2:04 pm

13. Linda says:

Sorry AM but that is too funny! Love Sean in that picture…he has that look like he is up to something.

March 4th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

14. zoom says:

Hot pink robe…boy with a snow ball… now there is a picture we all would have loved seeing. Preferably a video.

March 4th, 2008 at 2:37 pm

15. happy geek says:

I LOVE Texans.
      My first thought was “where is the snow? Oh yeah, up there, on the roof.”
      When I taught in Dallas in 2001 there was a fairly signifigant snowfall and I remember telling my students “Sit down, it’s not like you’ve never seen snsow before.” They were 8 so apparently, they had never had seen that much.
      Glad you got to experience snow, especially in the pink robe!

March 4th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

16. Blog Antagonist says:

We’ve actually had snow three or four times this winter. I guess that cold front that is currently over by you is clashing with our warm front and causing all this wicked weather we’re having right now. It’s 65 right now.

March 4th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

17. BecomingMe says:

I grew up in PA but lived in Texas for three years and lived in Florida before that. Even though I prefer warmer weather I do miss the ocassional snow storm. My hubby grew up in Orlando and made his first snow man as an adult about five years ago when we went North for Christmas. Looks like Sean had fun with the snowball.

March 4th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

18. lindsey eason says:

awwww….I remember the snowfall on V-day in 2004 – my husband and I still lived in Arkansas that year and that was such a fun holiday! Thanks for the reminder! Since then, we moved to Savannah,GA and now Jax,FL so we haven’t seen snow since that day in 04’…wish we were there to see it all today…my mom said LR got several inches today. Enjoy the cooler weather since we all know it’ll be back in the 80’s by Thursday – lol!

March 4th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

19. jenni says:

That picture is so precious. The delight on his face is just palpable. I hope he got you right where it counts, LOL!

March 4th, 2008 at 3:16 pm

20. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Nothing like a boy and his snowball. I have an almost identical shot of my son. Only there’s a lot more snow behind him.

March 4th, 2008 at 3:23 pm

“Come see my snowball,” said the spider to the fly…

Great pictures, AM.

March 4th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

22. Joanna says:

Oh my word! That boy had a maniacal gleam in his eyes. I can only imagine how hard he was laughing.

March 4th, 2008 at 4:40 pm

23. Jenny says:

He looks like he is ready to get someone! We had enough snow this year to build a SMALL snowman and my girls were so excited!

Have a great day and let’s hope Spring gets here soon!

March 4th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

24. jen says:

That is hilarious…you should have known….

March 4th, 2008 at 4:57 pm

25. bee says:

We played outside yesterday barefoot, then had to put our coats on to leave the house today! Ugh!
      BTW, I love the pic of you and Sean in ’04… it’s amazing how much, at 3 months, he looks like he does now!

March 4th, 2008 at 5:16 pm

26. Renna says:

I had begun to think we northeast Texans weren’t even going to get our annual snowfall this year. Granted, it has come this late before, even later, but spring seemed to have sprung already!

I had a hunch it would be gone by morning, so I was running around outside in my jammies at midnight, snapping pictures, figuring they’d be the only proof I’d have by noon today. There’s still a little piled up in shady places, but the water has poured off our roof today.

I’m shaking my head at your gullibility, by the way. No, no, no, you can NEVER trust a little guy with a snowball…or a big guy, either. ;-Þ

March 4th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

27. Sarah S. says:

That look in his eye says he is DEFINITELY up to something! I live a little west of you and we usually get at least one decent snow per year — yesterday, not so much. It was pretty for about 30 minutes, but it was still above freezing, so it was gone!

My favorite was the Easter snow last year!

March 4th, 2008 at 6:54 pm

28. Sue says:

Love the snowball. I grew up in Vegas and I always wished for snow. After living in Utah for three years, I will NEVER WISH FOR SNOW AGAIN. Probably.

March 4th, 2008 at 7:19 pm

29. Heidi says:

Enjoy your warmth, my friend! We had a high of 25 today…Spring does not come for us until May.

March 4th, 2008 at 8:10 pm

30. TransitionGirl says:

Maybe take a trip to Michigan. You’ll definitely be able to build all the snowmen you want! 🙂

March 4th, 2008 at 9:11 pm

31. Golfindad says:

You’re my kind of girl. The kind that would go out in a robe with a camera when a little kid has a snow ball!!

I’m a Dad, but I can identify with many of the topics you write about in such a humorous way. I hope this does not cause me to be banned from your site. Actually, I stumbled upon your site trying to find info on how to rescue my wife’s earring from a bathroom sink.

March 5th, 2008 at 12:26 am

32. celticbuffy says:

I’ll send you some of our snow! We just got a fresh inch and a half and it’s still coming down. Texas certainly is the place of extremes. We were in Port Aransas for Christmas in 2004 (or was it ’05, I’m getting old) and had beautiful weather when we got there and woke up to several inches on Christmas Day. We got to build a snowman on the beach!

March 5th, 2008 at 12:28 am

33. Angie says:

I miss snow. I would settle for having it even once a year. I live near Tampa and it just is not going to happen here. I grew up near DC and I have such amazing snowday memories.

March 5th, 2008 at 12:29 am

34. Jenny says:

we got hardly any snow this year. and when it did, it melted by the end of the day. 🙁

March 5th, 2008 at 12:46 am

35. Starnes Friend says:

When Sean is older you can send him to Starnes for a visit during the winter. Starnes got 5 inches of the “wonderful” stuff yesterday!

You didn’t say – did he hit you with the snowball? All that work and you didn’t let him hit you?

March 5th, 2008 at 10:37 am

36. Rachel Langston says:

I know what you mean. Central Alabama is also a place full of weather contradictions. Yesterday, it was 70 degrees and sleet/snow are predicted here on Friday. No wonder my allergies are acting up!

March 5th, 2008 at 8:13 pm