• ¬© Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Husbandry

March 13, 2008

Dear Husbands Across America,

If your wife is being self-deprecating, you are not allowed to join the party. It is not a bandwagon, do not jump on.

Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.

~ Antique Mommy

* * * * *

In the interest of equal opportunity:

Dear Wives Across America -

The art of being wife wise, is knowing what to overlook.

Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.

~ Antique Mommy

1. Glenda says:

Amen!!!! Preach it sister ~smile~

March 13th, 2008 at 11:49 pm

2. AB says:

(as my old minister used to say) “And aaaalll the people said, ‘Amen!’”

March 14th, 2008 at 12:00 am

3. Jill says:

I am forwarding this on to my husband who when I pulled up my shirt to reveal my poochy stomach and said “I can’t stand this.” He replied “Your still beautiful.” Still? Shouldn’t the correct response be “Honey you aren’t fat at all.” To add to it he followed up with “You look great FOR HAVING 2 KIDS.” WHy, Why, Why won’t the learn.

March 14th, 2008 at 12:00 am

4. happy geek says:

Do you know how many men are going to get the link to this post in their in-box tomorrow?
      TOOOO funny.

March 14th, 2008 at 12:27 am

5. Photochick (Amanda) says:

May I follow with a Hal-LAY-lu-ya!

March 14th, 2008 at 12:28 am

6. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Laughing so loudly I think I woke up Hubs. Which would be nice, because then I could show him this post.

March 14th, 2008 at 12:42 am

7. Amanda- VintageDutchGirl says:

Adding…” proceed at your own risk…female management cannot be held accountable for damages incurred while on aforementioned bandwagon”.

March 14th, 2008 at 1:47 am

8. Melissa says:

I’m also forwarding this to my husband…I love this post. :)

March 14th, 2008 at 6:36 am

9. Cheryl says:

Men are such simple creatures…they need our guidance. If it weren’t for us, they’d all be running around naked (or at least in dirty underwear!) and starving to death!!! I love my husband so, so much…but sometimes he does or says things that make me worry about him!!! Glad I’m not alone! LOL!!!

March 14th, 2008 at 8:15 am

10. Heidi says:

Oh! You wrote to me and my husband today! Thanks! ;)

March 14th, 2008 at 8:37 am

11. Heidi says:

Actually, my husband is MORE than supportive, but he does get sick of my self-deprecating ways…

March 14th, 2008 at 8:37 am

12. Damsel says:

Bwahahaha…. Very sage advice, sister, and spoken like one who knows what goes on in my house. :P

March 14th, 2008 at 8:47 am

13. bee says:

I’m guessing we won’t be hearing the story behind the post anytime soon??!! ;-)

March 14th, 2008 at 8:58 am

Oh? Did you think I was referring to Antique Daddy? No, of course not. Not at all… I was just saying…

March 14th, 2008 at 9:02 am

15. Jean says:

Commentor Bee nailed it….where’s the back story??

Come on, I’m sure one of us has been there and heard that, so to speak.

March 14th, 2008 at 9:23 am

16. zoom says:

This is how I have remained married for 24 years. The secret lies in picking your battles.

Plus, just a question for the universe. How does a man who seemingly can run a business and appear fairly brilliant, not catch things that are basic common sense?

Me- I am going to the hair dresser this weedend-
      Him- Good!! ( sounding relieved) You need to get him to get the dye further down into your roots. They are really, really grey.

March 14th, 2008 at 9:49 am

17. fern says:

Why oh why do they never learn? I can only remember my husband once really saying just the right thing. I was in the beginning to middle part of pregnancy–you know when people look at you and wonder if you are pregnant or just eating too much ice cream–and I said “do I look pregnant?” My husband wisely said, “do you want to look pregnant?” That was the last time he knew just what to say. The kid I was pregnant with is now 18.

March 14th, 2008 at 10:02 am

18. Nett says:

We want them to be honest. We love it when they agree with us. Poor guys. What’s a man to do?

Here’s what puzzles me: The casual acquaintance remarks, “Wow, you look really good for having five kids!”
      I’m sure they mean well, but what is the “standard” for a post-five-children-birthing body, the last two being twins? Am I lookin’ good in comparison to that, or just lookin’ good overall? I choose to believe the latter! It makes my indulgences easier to live with!:)

March 14th, 2008 at 10:30 am

There was that time when I said to Mr. Right that I was feeling out of shape and fatter. His reply of “Well, Shalee, you can do something about that, you know” was not met with joy nor understanding. There’s a time for logic and a time for ice cream. If I wanted logic, I would have gone to a trainer…

March 14th, 2008 at 10:39 am

20. Tom says:

On behalf of my gender, I apologize.
      This can be an important lesson for husbands, and particularly for fathers: learn how to properly care for your wife, and model this behavior. We need more males growing up knowing how to be men.

March 14th, 2008 at 11:39 am

21. Sally says:

Amen.

March 14th, 2008 at 1:29 pm

22. Robbin says:

You know, you think they would have caught on to this by now…

March 14th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

23. Joanna says:

Are you reading my mail?? ;)

March 14th, 2008 at 3:31 pm

24. Joanna says:

Maybe that should be MALE. Snort!

March 14th, 2008 at 3:32 pm

25. Kilikina says:

Ingenious! :)

March 14th, 2008 at 3:53 pm

26. feefifoto says:

Hey AM — great post. I think I should send it to my son, who said recently: “You know, Mom, you’re right — you have been putting on some weight.” Never too early to take advantage of a teachable moment.

I just wrote about you on my blog. No, I didn’t find a way to copy from yours — I typed it out because I liked the post so much. Hope you don’t mind.

March 14th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

27. Carola says:

…but we, wise woman, should also learn not to ask the wrong questions…I was 6 month pregnant, and gained ten pounds on one month only, so my doctor decided I should be on a low calory diet. So the next day as part of a conversation I told my boss (man) “can you believe this doctor told me I should be on a diet?”, and he answered “yes I do, I’ve noticed you’ve been eating a lot lately”. I could only laugh after that because obviously wrong questions are supposed to be answered this way.

March 14th, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Ah, but no where in this post do I say I asked a question. What I said is that when one is poking fun at oneself, one’s spouse should probably not jump right in and help.

March 14th, 2008 at 9:18 pm

29. Kara Messner says:

Nothing more needs to be said. Hilarious!!!

March 14th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

30. JCK says:

Yep. And Yep.

March 15th, 2008 at 4:13 am

31. allysha says:

oh my, that was really wonderful, and wonderfully funny. thank you.

March 15th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

32. Mamacita says:

Oh, so true! :)

March 16th, 2008 at 2:15 pm

33. BooMom says:

Hallelujah and AMEN !!!!

March 17th, 2008 at 10:03 am

34. Elaine says:

Well said and “short and sweet” too. Good Job! ;) I came over to check on your son, but I assume he’s doing well. Take care!

March 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

35. Deb says:

How true. If I never hear the word “still” before beautiful, sexy, attractive or any such word again it will be far too soon!

March 18th, 2008 at 2:20 pm