• Easter Eggs

March 28, 2008

Since we learned last month that our child is peeing pancake syrup, we have made heroic efforts to cut the sugar out of our diets.  And the person who has been most compliant and most faithful to this lifestyle change is Sean.  He has simply accepted it and goes along with little complaint.

The other day, his teacher told me that when he was offered candy at school, he politely declined.  He pointed to his arm where his blood was drawn and said the doctor told him no candy until his blood was better.  It kind of breaks my heart that he is so mature about it because I personally want to throw myself down on the ground and pound my fists and rail about the unfairness of it all.

Not being able to have candy or sweets is really hard on kids because every occasion is a candy occasion and every holiday is candy-centric — and Easter is perhaps the worst of all.

To make matters worse, when it came time to fill the Easter eggs last week, not only did I not fill them with candy, but I filled them with money from his own piggy bank.  Why not just fill them with broccoli or tofu?  What kind of mother would do such a thing?  He didn’t seem to notice.  After he found all the eggs, he simply wanted to hide them and hunt them again because unlike the adults, he gets that it’s not about the candy.

So then, earlier this week we visited with a pediatric nephrologist, a doctor who deals with all things kidney to see if we could figure out once and for all why Sean has so much sugar in his urine and if we should continue with our regimen of no candy, obsessive hand wringing and asking him 30 times a day if he feels okay and is he sure he feels okay.

After reviewing the bloodwork, the doctor said his best guess is that Sean has inherited a genetic mutation which causes his kidneys not to filter out the sugar properly.  The doctor said in his 20 years of practice, this is only the second case of this he has come across.  Two in 20 years.  See? My child is super special, it’s not just me saying that now, it’s been medically proven.

The good doctor assured us that we have no cause to worry — Sean’s condition is totally benign.  Unlike those dimples of his that are lethal and cause his mother’s heart to beat apace.

1. Jill says:

Still keeping y’all and that sweet boy in our prayers. Due to my dad’s profession, we had mainly sugar-free candy when we were little. Wonder if he could have that?

March 28th, 2008 at 1:33 am

2. Diane J. says:

Does this mean that he can now have sugar again? Or will he always have to deny himself sweets?

Either way, at least his condition isn’t life threatening, and when you say he’s sweet as sugar, you won’t be lying!

March 28th, 2008 at 2:19 am

3. Dawn says:

We don’t like our kids to have too much candy, so we fill their plastic Easter eggs with little crackers. They love it and don’t miss having candy.

March 28th, 2008 at 2:37 am

4. jen elslager says:

Oh, that’s such good news!

March 28th, 2008 at 2:52 am

5. pj says:

So glad everything is OK!

March 28th, 2008 at 3:38 am

6. jeanne a says:

Sean sounds like a real trouper! As long as there isn’t anything wrong there’s no need to worry! Wouldn’t that be great—a mom that doesn’t worry!!!! (Maybe I would be sleeping now if I could do that!)

Does make you want to go back and do ‘something’ to that NP or PA that was unprofessional!

March 28th, 2008 at 4:42 am

Oh good, one of your prior commenters suggested potentially that condition (glycolysuria? or somesuch), so I hope it really IS that, out of all the choices you have to explain “peeing pancake syrup”!

March 28th, 2008 at 5:22 am

8. midlife mommy says:

Wonderful, wonderful news.

March 28th, 2008 at 6:35 am

9. Howdy says:

I think we all sighed a big sigh of relief with you! And it’s wonderful that he has such a grasp of the really important things in life… and candy ain’t it.

March 28th, 2008 at 7:31 am

10. Amy Nathan says:

What a relief! Sean certainly serves as a reminder to play the hand we’re dealt, even when it’s a little 5 year old hand without any candy in it.

March 28th, 2008 at 7:51 am

11. Neighbor Jane Payne says:

What a great post…peeing pancake syrup, putting his own money in his eggs…I just loved this–glad for your good news, too.

March 28th, 2008 at 8:16 am

12. Heidi says:

That’s great! Does it mean he can have the occasional sugar again?

I can’t believe he’s such a big boy about it. I’d be like you–on the floor whimpering and banging.

March 28th, 2008 at 8:18 am

The doctor said he could have sugar again, but we’re not telling Sean that because we are lying deceitful parents who lie to their child.

In other news, my ‘puter is messed up as usual, so I’m not getting incoming email but it keeps sending the same 8 messages over and over. And because my flash active x (does that not sound, you know… n*sty?) whatever thingee isn’t working, I can’t even go to the roadrunner site and check it. So I’m not ignoring y’all, it’s this computer which I’m about to throw out on the front lawn…

March 28th, 2008 at 8:24 am

14. Becca says:

I gave the kids fortune cookies in their Easter eggs. They didn’t get it. While we were looking for Easter egg hunt accessories, little ElfGirl followed me around Big Lots assuring me that “Candy is GOOD for kids…” Pretty cute, but I still said no…

March 28th, 2008 at 8:31 am

15. Just Mom says:

That boy of yours is definitely a keeper. You and your hubby have been teaching him well.

March 28th, 2008 at 8:47 am

16. Veronica Mitchell says:

Hooooooray! Benign is a beautiful word.

Lethal dimples, indeed.

March 28th, 2008 at 8:57 am

17. Tom says:

That’s a huge relief! I’m glad to hear he’s okay. Now, BRING ON THE CANDY!

March 28th, 2008 at 9:18 am

18. Sharon says:

wonderful news…

March 28th, 2008 at 9:24 am

19. Linda says:

Sean is one special baby boy! You did good Mama!

March 28th, 2008 at 9:31 am

20. CircusKelli says:

Yay for the good news about Sean!!

March 28th, 2008 at 9:47 am

21. Happy Geek says:

Woo hooo! Benign is a beautiful word!
      So glad for you!

March 28th, 2008 at 9:59 am

22. Julie at Elisharose says:

That’s good news. I much prefer genetic mutations to serious conditions. And don’t worry, that compliant trooper thing will pass. : )

March 28th, 2008 at 10:00 am

23. jenni says:

Aww! What a brave, sweet boy. I’m so, so glad to hear that he is not ill but simply genetically mutated. Hm. That didn’t sound so good, but you know what I meant.

March 28th, 2008 at 10:18 am

24. bee says:

So now Sean can be one of the X Men…his mutation – peeing pancake syrup!

March 28th, 2008 at 10:20 am

25. stephanie frost says:

Yahoo! That is great news! I have to agree with you and the Dr. Sean is a super special little boy!

love,
      steph

March 28th, 2008 at 10:21 am

26. Big Mama says:

So glad he’s okay.

But I agree that those dimples will probably be your downfall.

And also the downfall of many a girl in about ten years or so.

March 28th, 2008 at 11:40 am

I was going to say what Big Mama said… she just beat me to it.

So glad that it’s treatable and that you have such a great, lovable trooper there – dimples and all.

March 28th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

28. Judy says:

You go, lying deceitful parents!! 😉 I would do the exact same thing. He will figure out ways around it soon enough anyway, like Julie at Elisharose said above…

March 28th, 2008 at 12:41 pm

29. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Wonderful news. And the fact that he’s voluntarily complied with the no-sugar mandate is nothing short of a miracle. What a sweet boy.

March 28th, 2008 at 12:54 pm

30. Jill S. says:

Whew, I’m so glad you got a benign prognosis! Unlike those dimples, of course…

March 28th, 2008 at 1:47 pm

31. Kacey says:

Egads AM! I do believe I mentioned an “inherited autosomal recessive trait– renal glyucosuria”, which is like having blue eyes and red hair—-way back on Feburary 18th in your comments. My “honey” and I have been praying ever since then for Sean to have something like that. We will continue with the positive prayers.

March 28th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

32. Betty G. says:

Great! I’m glad he is going to be OK.

Betty in Oklahoma

(Grandmother to 12)

March 28th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

33. Renna says:

Well, praise God for the ‘benign’ report!

March 28th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

34. jean says:

If I am this happy you must be over the top! Now go and give that child some chocolate. And lots of hugs and kisses.

March 28th, 2008 at 2:26 pm

35. Suzanne says:

I’m so happy for you! 🙂 Stupid question… does this mean he won’t gain weight from sugar? Like it just goes right through him? If that’s the case, I wish sugar just went through me and I peed syrup. 😀

March 28th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

36. zoom says:

It’s so scary when something happens to your child. Especially when there are specialists out there that you never heard of before “it” entered your life.

Glad the little man is doing so well.

March 28th, 2008 at 2:55 pm

37. Pam says:

Thank you for the update!

March 28th, 2008 at 3:30 pm

38. Kris says:

Another perspective from one who has an epileptic baby…no sugar is better than having to get shots every day, or take medicine every few hours, and blood tests every month. And praise God it’s nothing that creates developmental delays.
      I do understand your frustration. We all want our children to be perfect. But I am learning that God uses these imperfections to teach us many things, we just need to be ready to learn.
      I’m so glad Sean is taking this so well. Kids have a way of accepting life so much better than we do.

March 28th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

39. Katherine says:

Fantastic news – you must be thrilled – at least, I figure you must be because I am.

On another note, Easter is by far not the worst – the worst is Halloween! You should see my daughter’s eyes light up on the few occasions she sees a “safe” candy in the proffered bowl – but knowing what’s really important, when there is no such option – she just grabs a chocolate “for daddy, they’re his favorite – thank you”

March 28th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

40. Aunt Murry says:

See me doing the snoopy dance for Sean!

March 28th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

41. Gini says:

What an awesome answer to prayer! God is good! Our 14 year old still wanted to have an egg hunt this year. I did not feel like digging through the storage in the basement to find the plastic eggs, so we improvised with super balls! Katie hid them and gave us clues to find them – too cute.

March 28th, 2008 at 6:16 pm

42. Nett says:

Super duper fabulous!

March 28th, 2008 at 8:40 pm

43. The Bargain Shopper Lady says:

You are an awesome Mama! I am so glad that Sean is okay.

March 28th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

44. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda Been Worse) says:

You rock, Antique Mommy. I love this post.

And he is super special!

March 28th, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Oh, what a relief to know that he is okay and to be assured beyond all doubt that he is, indeed, special.

Now, go buy that boy a donut with sugar on top.

March 28th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

46. Lightening says:

That sounds really scary. I know our son had an infection that allowed blood into his urine when he was 6 and boy did that freak me out. The doctor, however, was ecstatic because it was the first case he’d seen in his career. Bouncing around like an excited schoolboy he was!!! While I’m wondering if my little boy’s kidneys are going to pack up or not. 🙁

March 29th, 2008 at 3:30 am

47. AB says:

Since Easter is my least favorite family holiday (too many reasons to go into here, but suffice it to say that I overdosed on grandparents who demanded our young children have an egg hunt at BOTH houses on the same day which happened to be in two different counties and 40 minutes of driving apart), I feel your pain about all of this. But the part about Sean pointing to his arm and talking about his blood getting better? Makes me a little sad.

March 29th, 2008 at 11:57 am

48. Barb @ A Chelsea Morning says:

It’s nice to see your sense of humor is still going strong – I know this has been a huge worry.

Such SWEET news!

March 29th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

49. Joanna says:

Of course he’s special – super power ability? Pees syrup, duh! Very glad he’s a-okay. Now how’s your recovery coming??

March 29th, 2008 at 3:44 pm

50. chickadee says:

i’m so glad it is all ok. now can you shower him with candy?

March 29th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

51. imagine community says:

I’m so glad to hear it’s benign, if that’s the right word. I’ve been hoping for an update.

March 29th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

52. Beck says:

I am so VERY, VERY relieved for you – what a blessing!

March 29th, 2008 at 9:14 pm

53. Robbin says:

Wow. I am so incredibly relieved. I could not imagine going through this with Harry, ever, ever. My heart was in my throat.

March 29th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

54. Confused Foreigner says:

That’s good news! Good, good, good, and very good!

March 30th, 2008 at 11:12 am

55. mama speak says:

Of course he’s peeing pancake syrup, he’s just that darn sweet! Someone had to say it, right?

I’m very, very glad he’s ok, and so are his parents; ulcers and all I’m sure.

Sugar is over-rated (unless it’s in chocolate, then it’s pretty darn good) anyway. But contrary to belief it does not make you gain weight, it is the first thing your body burns to give you quick energy, you need to eat lots of protein so your body will move to burning fat. ok, my kid’s drawing on the wall…gotta go

April 1st, 2008 at 12:31 pm

56. just like that says:

Dear AM, Sean is a special little kiddo and you are a very special antique Mom. Sending up a heartfelt prayer that this little specialness does not take anything away from the many many healthy, happy years of Sean’s life. Hugs to you and Sean.

April 4th, 2008 at 5:04 am