• © Antique Mommy 2005-2013
  • Don’t Carry A Flashlight. Be A Flashlight.

May 12, 2008

Last week, Antique Daddy and Sean and I were in the car and we drove past a house that had burned down.  This concerned Sean.

“I hope our house isn’t on fire when we get home,” he said, worried.

“Well Sean, even if it were, we are all here in the car together and that’s all that really matters.  All that is in the house is just stuff. We don’t really need it.”

I took the opportunity to reinforce one of my favorite New Testament stories.

“You know what Jesus told the apostles when he sent them out to preach the Gospel?  Don’t take anything with you.”

“Not even a flashlight?” he asked.

I laughed at the image of the apostles carrying a flashlight into the darkness.

And then I sighed.

I never know if I am the teacher or the student.

1. Julie at Elisharose says:

You are both. That’s the glory of it.

May 13th, 2008 at 12:09 am

2. Heidi says:

On the other hand, he did give some bad press to the five virgins who didn’t bring oil flasks along with their lamps to the wedding feast!

No, seriously, I think you’re right on. Everything that was most important, was in the car with you.

Me, I have a “fire shelf” with my wedding album and most important books (autographed books from my favorite authors, etc.) and my parents’ wedding photo. Oh, and my husband and me kissing the ring of Pope John Paul II (on our honeymoon). If the house went up, I’d make sure the people were out, and if I had time I’d go get the “shelf.”

Blessings–

Heidi

May 13th, 2008 at 12:16 am

3. feefifoto says:

There’s a sweet book that your son would probably enjoy called “A Chair For My Mother”, about a girl whose apartment burns and she and her mom and grandmother have no place to stay, so relatives and neighbors band together to get them a place to live and some furniture, but they really want a comfortable chair. So the three of them save coins until they have a jar full and then go to a department store and select a brand new chair to go in their fresh apartment. It’s a sweet statement about optimism and cooperation.

May 13th, 2008 at 12:28 am

4. jean says:

People, pets, photos and legal files. Everything else can wait. And honestly, it should be just people first. The rest should be taken only if it is safe to do so. But as you stand there and watch your home burning you will keep thinking of all your possesions that you love. You will begin to make yourself crazy. At about that time you need to step back and hug your family. THey will help keep your priorities in order.

May 13th, 2008 at 12:57 am

5. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

Ah, the beautiful and frequently confounding dichotomy of parenting.

May 13th, 2008 at 8:45 am

6. CircusKelli says:

You’re such a good Mom. I would have probably started reciting “The Jerk” with Steve Martin. “I don’t need you. All I need is this ashtray…”

May 13th, 2008 at 9:09 am

7. Heidi says:

“I hope our house isn’t on fire when we get home.” It’s so cute how little ones apply everything immediately to their situation.

Sean seems to be a fount of wisdom for his age (even if he doesn’t know it).

May 13th, 2008 at 9:28 am

8. Fraulein says:

Many years ago the church we now attend burned down. Only the brick frame remained standing after the fire, though fortunately no one was injured. The building was rebuilt, stronger than ever, inside the footprint of the original brick walls. A couple of photos of the aftermath of the fire hang in the common room where we go for coffee and snacks after services, and when the Peanut sees these photos, she often gets worried. It offers a good lesson: the church is the people who worship there, not the building itself. A building can always be replaced.

May 13th, 2008 at 9:40 am

9. Fraulein says:

Also, CircusKelli, I’m still laughing about your “Jerk” movie reference. I haven’t seen that one in years. Might be worth adding to the old Netflix queue…

May 13th, 2008 at 9:48 am

It usually works out that I’m both, plus the Principal thrown in for good measure. It’s really hard to be the Principal when you’re the one sent to the office too.

May 13th, 2008 at 10:01 am

11. Tom says:

A flashlight! I love it. He’s all boy, thinking about preparedness like that.

May 13th, 2008 at 10:21 am

12. Kelly @ Love Well says:

But it’s such a helpful flashlight! And it’s so shiny!

May 13th, 2008 at 11:52 am

13. gretchen from lifenut says:

Echoing that you are both teacher and student.

(if I am away from home and see a fire truck headed in the general direction of our subdivision, I wonder…)

May 13th, 2008 at 12:34 pm

14. Linda says:

Sean is beyond his years!

Love the post once again (that is why I always come back daily for the most part…to read your post)

May 13th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Oh my children have “gotten me” on more than on occasion with their view into scripture when I thought MINE was the ONLY one that mattered in their little world. This normally occurs when I try to squeeze the last little drop of some biblical truth out of whatever we are discussing. . .once when I was questioning why God had the Israelites use the hides of sea cows in the tabernacle and just HOW were they supposed to find them in the desert, Victoria said, “Well, MOMMY, I guess they PRAYED for them.” And one day when I was going on and on and on about how God NEVER rests so the children would know that he is always watching ove them, Thad said, “Yuh-huh. It SAYS on the seventh day, he wested.”

“And a little child shall lead them. . .” mainly that little child will lead his/her mother.

May 14th, 2008 at 12:21 am