• Walnuts And Watermelons – Everything You Really Need To Know About Pregnancy

May 23, 2008

No, not really.  I just thought that was a catchy title.

So then.

We have more books than we have space to put them, so last week, I decided to sort through some of them and cull out those with which I could bear to part.  I came across several books on pregnancy that, unfortunately, I won’t be in need of again so I set them aside to pass along.

A wave of nostalgia washed over me, so I sat down and thumbed through one.  The chapter that described the changes that happen to the female body during  pregnancy caught my attention, perhaps because “someone” had highlighted almost every word.  As I read along, I was rapt once again, just like I had never read this information before.

Even though I’ve been through a pregnancy and understand the basic process of gestation, the idea that another human being was formed perfect and whole from the makings of my own sorry body is still astonishing to me.  Astonishing!

It’s even more astonishing to think that the egg that became Sean was in me, among a million others, before I was even born. I never can quite wrap my mind around that, to think that he’s always been with me in some way.  I suspect that if he was with me before my life began, then at some point he will be with me after this life as well.  That is my hope anyway and my faith in the promises of Jesus sustain that hope.

I noticed that in one section I had underlined a paragraph that described how prior to conception my uterus was the size of a walnut, before eventually growing to be the size of a watermelon to accommodate the baby. And then after birth, at some point, it returned to its original walnut size.

Amazing.

The book did not mention that before conception, my heart was also the size of a walnut – an old hard black walnut that even the squirrels wouldn’t have.  During my pregnancy, it grew to be the size of a watermelon.

It has not returned to its original size.

1. Stephanie says:

You said it all.

May 23rd, 2008 at 3:07 am

2. Pork With Bones says:

A dear friend came to visit a few weeks ago. After gazing lovingly at my four-year-old for several minutes, she said to me, “You made a new person! How cool is that?”

Indeed.

May 23rd, 2008 at 4:01 am

3. Hanlie says:

That has given me so much comfort… Even though I haven’t had them yet, my babies are with me already…

May 23rd, 2008 at 6:29 am

4. Kim says:

Awwww, how sweet.

Wait a minute…you’re not the Grinch are you? Naa, you have much better hair.

LOL, I am still in awe at the miracle of life. God’s blessing….Kim

May 23rd, 2008 at 6:50 am

5. Beck says:

That is BEAUTIFUL.
      Someone I know is working with pregnant women in prisons and is always looking for pregnancy books to share, if you’d care to send them along that way.

May 23rd, 2008 at 7:12 am

6. chaotic joy says:

Awww. Sniff. What a lovely post. Pregnancy books just make me happy I will never need them again. But I agree. A miracle.

May 23rd, 2008 at 7:56 am

7. Danell says:

I’ve never really thought about the fact that, in a small way, my child has always been with me. How wonderful!

And I love the walnut and watermelon analogies!

May 23rd, 2008 at 8:12 am

8. Jolyn says:

Oh, yes. That wonderment, I think, is part of the love that overpowers our insecurities and keeps us keeping on. I just can’t smell my 3yo’s neck often enough.

May 23rd, 2008 at 8:16 am

9. Jeana says:

How do you take information I already know and somehow make it magical?

May 23rd, 2008 at 8:30 am

10. CircusKelli says:

Perfect.

May 23rd, 2008 at 8:31 am

11. Marie says:

So true. The fact that our eggs are with us from the start really blows me away too…

May 23rd, 2008 at 8:35 am

12. Cheryl says:

Beautiful! I have to go hug my kids now!

May 23rd, 2008 at 8:37 am

13. Fraulein says:

Just wonderful. Lately the Peanut has taken to telling me and Mr. Fraulein, “I’m going to love you forever!” I think she could never know how deep our love for her is, even though we tell her all the time.

And although she doesn’t know it yet, some of the eggs inside her just might someday become little people who will say, “I’ll love you forever, mommy!” And she will be so astonished as to how that came about, just as I am.

May 23rd, 2008 at 9:18 am

14. Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt says:

A great post! The comments about the black walnuts – we have them ALL OVER our front yard, I know exactly what you’re talking about. They are pesky, aren’t they?!

May 23rd, 2008 at 9:38 am

15. Heidi says:

Hopefully you never need a transplant. A watermelon-sized heart would be hard to find, I imagine… 🙂

May 23rd, 2008 at 9:53 am

16. Heidi says:

Also, I got mental images here of the Grinch and when his heart grew and grew, only yours got so big that your body cavity could barely contain it.

May 23rd, 2008 at 9:54 am

17. Megan (FriedOkra) says:

No indeed — no indeed.

May 23rd, 2008 at 10:28 am

18. Jennifer says:

See….there was a bit a wisdom in those books! Just left out the other body parts affected…our hearts. Lovely post.

May 23rd, 2008 at 10:50 am

19. ~*~ Jennifer ~*~ says:

Oh man alive… you NAILED it lady!!

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:01 am

20. Owlhaven says:

This reminds me of a recent post at onething.typepad.com talking about her 2 year old

THese kids are loved sooooo much….

Mary. mom to many

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:15 am

21. Jenni says:

That is such a sweet thought!

Made me think of the Grinch too ;o)

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:36 am

22. Faerylandmom says:

Yup. I hear you.

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:37 am

23. Tom says:

That is so cool. I really enjoy your perspective on things.

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:46 am

24. Kathy/lessons from the laundry says:

And you didn’t even have to carve the Roast Beast to keep your heart so full of love.

May 23rd, 2008 at 12:09 pm

25. Betty G. says:

How true, how true!!! Don’t worry, your heart will grow even LARGER when grandchildren come along. You have a few years to prepare, of course, but it WILL happen. 🙂

Betty in Oklahoma
      Grandmother of 13

May 23rd, 2008 at 12:35 pm

26. Tonggu Momma says:

It amazes me how God gifts some of us with the ability to find wonder in the simple. You have this gift.

You know, a favorite saying among the adoption community is “you did not grow under my heart, but in it.”

May 23rd, 2008 at 1:31 pm

27. Tonggu Momma says:

I just reread my comment — not that conception and birth in any way is simple and non-wondrous. I’m talking about the watermelon and walnut part. 🙂

May 23rd, 2008 at 1:32 pm

28. Kelly @ Love Well says:

I loved this AM. How’s that book deal coming along? That would give you the chance to birth something again.

May 23rd, 2008 at 2:18 pm

29. jean says:

What a perfect analogy. My heart is still the size of a watermelon and I hope it only grows larger.

May 23rd, 2008 at 2:23 pm

30. Jan says:

Recently, I told my mom that my heart grew a little more one day because of my love for my boy. I told her at this rate, by the time he’s ten, my heary won’t fit in my body any longer and I’d have to carry it around in a backpack.

May 23rd, 2008 at 4:14 pm

31. Wendy Goldstein says:

yeah- after having children my ass went from the size of a walnut to the size of a watermelon too….

Only kidding! Love the analogy!

ps- i remember after our first daughter, my hubby couldn’t imagine having enough love in his heart to give to another child. When the 2nd came along, his walnut became a watermelon, too. Obvioulsy this metamorphosis is not gender specific. Ain’t that grand!

May 23rd, 2008 at 4:28 pm

32. chickadee says:

i love that! it’s so true.

May 23rd, 2008 at 6:01 pm

33. Chris says:

I am glad to say that your heart will never, ever go back to the original dried up walnut size. Sean is going to go on to graduate from kindergarten…and junior high…and high school…and you are going to continue to be amazed that your heart will go from watermelon sized to super watermelon size. As one who has done that 3 times, so far, I gotta tell you that your chest is going to explode in the future, so take every opportunity to expand your heart between now and then.

May 24th, 2008 at 1:31 am

34. Misslionheart? says:

Great post, you always have the perfect way to put across your deep feelings for all to understand…

May 24th, 2008 at 8:28 am

35. bee says:

I couldn’t agree more!

May 24th, 2008 at 8:58 am

36. Denise G. says:

I have boys in my house, so no eggs here. However, this got me to thinking about the hearts of my future grandchildren that are already inside some little girls somewhere. Maybe she is running and playing outside, maybe swinging in her daddy’s arms, maybe blowing bubbles and laughing, maybe hurt and crying. I can’t wait to meet them!

May 24th, 2008 at 10:23 am

37. Expatmum says:

I’ll never forget seeing the genetic counsellor during my last pregnancy (I too am an antique mommy) who was in awe as he told me that if I was carrying a girl, he was looking at three generations as the baby’s egg’s would already be in her. Turned out to be a boy, but still a cool concept.

May 24th, 2008 at 5:56 pm

38. MommyWizdom says:

I really like where you went with this post…

God said, “I knew you before you were born in the womb.”

Sean was meant to be born TO YOU, not to anyone else.

Isn’t that amazing?! I am never over that.

Happy Belated Mother’s Day, AM!

May 24th, 2008 at 8:36 pm

39. imagine community says:

That is such a great post. Thank you. I look at my son and marvel that he was once in me, of me. He’s making that transition from pre-schooler to BOY and I’ve been similarly nostalgic.

Did you know that fetal cells stay in your body for the rest of your life? They stay with us, in so many ways.

May 25th, 2008 at 10:47 am

40. Kristin Evans says:

What a beautiful thought that they have always been with us…I’ve never thought of that before. Thank you for bringing tears to my eyes!

May 25th, 2008 at 11:43 am

41. Heather says:

So true! I don’t ever want my heart to go back!

May 25th, 2008 at 1:02 pm

42. noble pig says:

My first son’s baby book is an ultrasound picture of him as an unfertilized egg…after seeing it I was pregnant 2 weeks later!

May 25th, 2008 at 6:37 pm

43. Erin says:

I like this, I really do. How clever of you. How lucky, too.

May 25th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

That ending just about sums up the joy of motherhood. I’d say that your heart is the size of one of those gigantic first-place-winning watermelons that can be seen in the state fairs too.

Loved this post, AM. Loved it.

May 26th, 2008 at 7:40 am

45. TheCottonWife says:

I love that part about the eggs. I have a friend who lost her son with only 4 weeks left until her due date. I’ll be passing that along to her.

May 27th, 2008 at 8:48 am

46. chris says:

Beautiful post. You’ll find that as the years go on, that watermelon-sized heart will swell to prize-winning humungous size when Sean…

walks into his kindergarten classroom and is a brave boy…

when he ‘graduates’ from kindergarten and they play the slideshow complete with schmaltzy songs designed to make you cry like a baby.

when he graduates from high school…

and then when he graduates from college…

and that is as far on this journey as I have gotten…

I will let you know how my heart explodes at weddings and grandbaby births…

which I guess is nect on my experiences yet to come list.

May 28th, 2008 at 12:44 am

47. Jodie @ The Sky Is Only Dark Between the Stars says:

This is such a great post. You are QUALITY. 🙂

And I totally know what you mean – my heart hasn’t returned to normal size either.

Also, I never have sat and thought about the fact that my children lived in me before I was even born. That is amazing.

Amazing.

You always make me feel blessed to be a mother.

May 29th, 2008 at 5:23 pm

48. Elaine says:

I haven’t been to your blog in a while and now I am mad at myself for that. You are such a great writer.

I love the thought that my boys have always been with me. God’s work is wonderful.

May 29th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

49. Jade says:

A sweet post, and so true.

June 2nd, 2008 at 1:11 pm

50. Sunday Linkityness « Birth In Joy says:

[…] Filed under: Weekend Links — by faerylandmom @ 3:14 pm Walnuts & Watermelons. ~ Antique […]

October 25th, 2008 at 7:45 pm