• Shorty

June 13, 2008

I recently received an email offering me samples of Rubik’s Revolution, an electronic version of the Rubik’s Cube as well as an electronic pocket-sized version of the popular game show Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? I told them not to send the Rubick’s Cube because I am in still in therapy from when it came out the first time in the 80s.  Between the Rubiks Cube and Pac Man, the 80s were really stressful for me.  I am not wired to do those kinds of things.

But! I love the game show Jeopardy! and so I figured I would like the Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? game. And I do, even though I am not.  I’m not even smarter than my 4-year-old most of the time.

If you think you would like to have one of these little gadgets and have a US mailing address, leave a comment on this post before midnight on Sunday, telling me your dad’s first name (or your favorite dad-type person) and some fun factoid about him.  I’ll randomly select a winner or just whomever I like the best.  KIDDING! I’m just messin’ with y’all.  Monday I will email the winner.

I’ll go first.

My dad’s name is Ed, but anyone who really knows him calls him Shorty.  When I was growing up, the family across the street had a scruffy little dog named Shorty and sometimes that would get confusing when they opened the screen door and hollered for the dog to come home. Oh, and my dad makes the best boiled hotdog ever. I should know. He made me one for lunch every single day the year I went to kindergarten.  Every. Day.

Happy Father’s Day everyone!

* * * *

Edited to add:  I am loving your comments y’all – it just blesses me to read this treasure trove of tiny stories. If you have a blog, or even if you don’t, I hope you will consider expanding your comment into an essay or short story for future generations.

* * * *

And the winner is….. Natalie!  Natalie, look for an email from me with further instructions on how to claim your fabulous prize!

1. zoom says:

My Daddy’s name is Quentin. We lived on a farm/ ranch and I would ride around in his pickup to check on the cows, crops and fences. This was long before car seats and safety features. We would bounce along unharnessed and if he put on the brakes a little too fast, his arm would extend like a railroad crossing arm to keep us in place.

We had cows and horses and some sheep. When I was about 3, my mother’s parents came for a visit. We rode around the land and like all families with children since time beginning, I made the sounds of the animals and named them so that the adults could be entertained by a trained child/ monkey saying horse as sorse and cow as tow. MOOOO etc.

All was well. Until. We got to the sheep. My sweet, sweet Mimi asked ,” And what are those my lovey??” to which I said…” Those are sons a bitches..”

My father and his brothers were less than fond of the sheep.

June 13th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

2. france59 says:

My father’s name was Don and he was such a picture of contrasts. He grew up on a farm and then a small town, but loved to travel the world. He was very smart, but didn’t go to college. He was in the Army for 24 years and served in Viet Nam in the Green Beret, but was a gentle, loving soul. And he was an amazing father who valued honesty, but found the ability to look surprised every birthday, Christmas and Father’s Day when he opened his gift from me…a box of chocolate covered cherries…his favorite. To this day, I’m not sure if they were really his favorite or mine, but we shared them. And I miss him.

June 13th, 2008 at 6:42 pm

3. Lisa says:

My dad’s name was Frank. He was 40 when I was born. I was 100% daddy’s girl. He could do everything and anything. Every Christmas he would put a can of anchovies in my stocking. “Oh, you don’t like anchovies. I’ll eat them for you” Every year he said that same line. He passed away over 15 years ago when I was only 23. I still miss him every day.

June 13th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

4. Janis says:

My father’s name was Jewell. Yes, a strange name for a man. My daddy was a really special man. He grew up on a farm in northwestern Missouri during the Depression. Once he shot a hole through the wall into the room where his mother was sleeping, with the pistol he liked to carry with him around the farm. He was a romantic, who loved to read history. But,most of all he was an artist. He could take a piece of paper and a pair of scissors and cut out any animal my mother desired for her Sunday school class freehand. He carved beautiful American eagles and gnarly old trees from wood. Then he went on to create several period dollhouses, in which he carved all the highboys, etc. One of my fondest memories was when we took a watercolor class together. Watercolor was his favorite meduim for the next twenty years. He never made a penny from his art and always dreamed of doing so. He spent all of his working years as an insurance bondsman, supporting his six well loved children and my mom. One day months after he died, while blowing the dust off several collectors edtions of long forgotten authors, I came across an old bible from the 19th century. I opened it and a paper with Daddy’s pen and ink scrawl fell to the floor. He had written that he had left the bible to our older daughter, and how much he loved her. It was dated one week before our other daughter was born. He was such an old romantic. Of course I cried a bucket of tears. I miss him.

June 13th, 2008 at 7:56 pm

5. Angie says:

My dad’s name is Don. When he was growing up they used to call him Moon because he liked to eat moonpies. Nowadays don’t even think about calling him Moon or Donnie. Makes him a little grumpy.

Angie

June 13th, 2008 at 7:58 pm

6. bringingupdaisy says:

My daddy’s name was Douglas. He loved history of any kind and his hobby was researching our family history. I don’t remember many family vacations that were without a walk through an old cementary. I guess it was kind of like a treasure hunt for us kids…looking for certain names and finding the stones that were overgrown by bushes. I’m almost 60 and I still enjoy walking through old grave yards!

June 13th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

7. Melissa says:

My Dad’s name is George. There are lots of interesting things that he does, but one of our favorites is his love of maps and long, meandering, Sunday drives. I bought him a hat several years ago that said “Dad Tours, we’ll get there when we get there”. Oh soooo true! Now I buy him maps for Father’s Day and he is happy as can be. 🙂

June 13th, 2008 at 8:32 pm

8. Kathy says:

My dad’s name is Ken. When I was in high school he received a late in life nickname. He was home from Vietnam. My older sister and I had developed a following of boy friends (nothing much with romance for us but they did start to hang out at the house while Daddy was gone. One, a prolific reader, came into the kitchen after being let into the house by the colonel who happens to act and look gruff. “Who’s that guy?” our friend asked. “You know….The guy at the door with the one eyeball in the middle of his forehead?” From that point on daddy signed his cards and all letters, “Cy”.

June 13th, 2008 at 8:46 pm

9. kristen says:

My dad’s name is Everett. He’s a doctor in a small town in Montana. He was always really busy when my sister and I were kids, he was one of the only physicians for several miles around. I loved when he called me “sugar bear”. One day I went to visit him at his clinic and imagine my surprise when I heard him call a child patient MY name – Sugar Bear!

My 4 year old worships the ground he walks on, and my dad is making up for his lost years with my sister and I through my boy. I love to see them together. And he even calls my boy Sugar Bear.

June 13th, 2008 at 8:48 pm

10. Jenna says:

My dad’s name is Tim. Unfortunately for him, his legal, given name was Timmy. His mother had it changed for him on his 21st birthday … well after all of life’s embarrassing name moments had passed (like the first day of college courses). Maybe that’s where he got his contagious humor and easy laugh!

June 13th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

11. Kerri says:

My dad is Jim but went by Jimmy when he was younger (my aunt… his sister… still calls him that). My dad can fix anything. I rarely have to take my car in to have a part replaced or have maintenance done… he does it all. Sames goes for everything around the house. While those are the more “visible” things that he takes care of, his relationship as my loving and caring father is a lot more important to me than those ever will be.

June 13th, 2008 at 9:17 pm

12. Jen says:

My dad’s name was Bruce. He died almost 2 years ago from pancreatic cancer. He & I had a love/hate relationship, but now that he’s gone I really try to focus on the “love” … some coworkers & I were talking about the old department store “Woolworths” last week at work, and it reminded me of my dad. He and I for a few years in a row, during my tough teenage years, would go to Woolworths on New Years Day. He’d buy me some new clothes, and we’d just enjoy a good father/daughter day. It’s times like those I miss. His birthday would’ve been ON Father’s Day this year, June 15. I miss you, dad.

June 13th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

13. Kacey says:

My Dad’s name was Clyde and he led a most unusual life. He quit school after grammar school and worked for four years in a logging camp to help support his family of thirteen. Then, he hitched north and supported himself through high school, college and law school. I took your advice and wrote a blog about him.
      http://www.cookiesoven.blogspot.com Thanks for making me spend so much time thinking about him.

June 13th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

14. Karen {Simply A Musing Blog} says:

My dad’s name was John Lewis, but everyone called him “Jay”. He died when I was only nine, but I can still remember him sitting in his 1970’s orange crushed velvet rocking chair in the living room, reading his newspaper. I lived for the moments when he’d happen to fold the corner of his paper back and jerk his head up at me in a signal to hop up on his lap, which I always did. Thanks to him, I could read well by the time I was in first grade.

June 13th, 2008 at 10:09 pm

15. Dianne says:

My dad’s name was Thomas Joseph. He was the original Mr. Mom back in the 70’s. Mom went to work and he retired early and was home all day with us kids. Well he thought he was so clever he would buy generic brands of groceries and put them into the name brand boxes that he would hold onto. Like taking the bag of cereal out of a new box of generic cereal and placing it in the empty box of Frosted Flakes. But we caught on quick. But it gets better. One night while he was serving us dinner, and was clearly on his last nerve, he was scooping mashed potatoes out of the pot and onto my sister’s plate. Well just after he had scooped the potatoes, and just before he placed the potatoes on her plate he decided she didn’t have her chair pulled close enough to the table. So he motioned, rather emphatically for her to pull into the table, with the hand holding the spoonful of mashed potatoes. Well the mashed potatoes flew off the spoon and landed on the wall across the room! It sent us all into peels of laughter. There are so many more stories I could tell about this wonderful man, but I will stop with that! Thanks for the opportunity to retell that memory. My sister’s are coming by tomorrow for a bbq. I will be sure to bring it up with them too!

June 13th, 2008 at 10:10 pm

16. Connie says:

My dad’s name is Richard, but he usually goes by Dick. Three years ago he confessed he’d lived a “double life” for years, and by God’s grace he is now sober from his addiction and living each day in that reality. I’m proud of how far he’s come!

June 13th, 2008 at 10:12 pm

17. Sherri Edman says:

My dad’s name is Marvin. He is kind and gentle and unbelievably generous. He also has a will of iron. Once, when I was in elementary school, he was coming home from work and saw a baby bird lying on the sidewalk. It had fallen from its nest, and ants had found it and the ants had eaten out its eyes, and it was still alive. My dad, without hesitation, picked up the baby bird and thwocked its little head against the sidewalk to put it out of its misery. I know that’s kind of a horrible story, but to me it illustrates perfectly one of the things I value so much about my dad, which is that he will ALWAYS do the right thing, no matter how difficult or unpleasant.

June 13th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

18. Jill says:

My dad’s name is Craig. Actually technically that is his middle name, but he has always gone my it. He is most definetely my hero. He had a jerk for a dad, but has managed to truly be the best one I have ever seen (outside my hubby who is giving him a major run for his money).

June 13th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

19. Wendy Goldstein says:

My dad’s name is , er uh, was Irwin Keller. He passed away this past January. His nickname was Poppy to his grandchilren, Ir to his friends. But to me he was just plain Daddy.

This is a very hard year for us. Especially holidays. And this being our first Father’s Day without my Daddy – is just the hardest thing for me.

My dad never was one for games other than gin or blackjack. He loved good music of all genre – and loved to dance. Daddy was so handsome and youthful even at his passing at 71. He got carded sometimes when he asked for senior discounts. You can imagine how he loved that, and my mom hated it.

I am not sure if he would appreciate a game, but my mom sure would and I would send it to her if I were to win.

June 14th, 2008 at 1:04 am

20. Susan says:

My dad’s first name was Joe (just like my husband’s is now).

He was born in 1921, and by 1930, had been hit by a car on two separate occasions. My mother used to joke that he was hit by the only two cars that were on the road during those years in Akron, Ohio.

(He was fine and never seriously injured either time.)

June 14th, 2008 at 1:15 am

21. Beth says:

My dad’s name is Jack, and he is without a doubt (at least in my mind) the greatest Dad in the whole world. He has always been my biggest supporter.

Fun factoid: When my dad was in the Air Force, we were stationed in Italy for 2 years. During that time, whenever we went on vacation, my dad would wear his cowboy hat and cowboy boots, and all of the little kids that we saw would call him John Wayne.

June 14th, 2008 at 2:03 am

22. amy says:

My dad’s name is Mike, and he’s part American Indian (enough to look like one). However, he’s always mistaken for Hispanic or Arab. Random Hispanic people come up and talk to him in Spanish (all the time) and he’s always getting hassled at the airport (he travels a lot). He also has “the never-ending” belly button. I know this b/c when I was little I would wait for him to take a nap and then stick my whole pinkie in it. Poor guy.

Also, he’s the most amazing dad ever!

June 14th, 2008 at 2:52 am

23. Debbie says:

My Dad’s name was Marvin. He’s been dead for 29 years (wow, I didn’t realize it had been that long). He wasn’t famous or rich, but at his funeral, when our car was at the top of a bridge on the way to the cemetery we looked back and couldn’t see the end of the funeral procession. So many people have told us since then that he was “the finest man” they’ve ever known. And he taught himself to play the guitar and “fiddle” as he called it. He loved his grandchildren. It’s just sad that they were so young when he died that they don’t remember very much about him.

June 14th, 2008 at 7:19 am

24. fern says:

My dad’s name is also Ed. Although my cousins call him Uncle Eddie (no one else can call him Eddie). My mom calls him in honey, unless she is aggravated, then she says “Oh, Edward.” It is the only time I hear her say his name. He certainly loves his 4 kids, but he worked long hours, rarely took a vacation, and was somewhat impatient when we were growing up. Boy, do things change with grandchildren. The sun rises and sets on his 12 grandchildren and you can sense the depth of his love when he is near them.

Fun Factoid: My dad looooves golf. When we were kids my dad would watch golf on TV and make us be quiet whenever someone was putting. My dad never brags and never makes a big deal out of anything (very humble)and never wants a fuss made, even when he was promoted to president of his company. About 10 years ago, after 40 years of golfing, he got a hole in one. That, he made big deal of–sort of–he called each of his kids to tell the story. But you could hear the thrill in his voice.

June 14th, 2008 at 9:54 am

25. Kit says:

My sweet dad’s name is Ralph. It might seem like a funny name, but it is perfect for him. He turned 70 last year, but look so young, you’d never guess his age. Ever since I can remember, he has had white, white hair. It’s beautiful, and he has always received compliments on it.
      An interesting fact about my dad is that he and two of his brothers had a recording contract while teenagers with Colombia records. They played bluegrass music and were on the radio, too. Later, they traveled the world and then helped to start a musical program called Up With People. My dad is a visionary and I’m so proud of him! Oh, and I think he’s really cute, too.

June 14th, 2008 at 1:13 pm

26. fern says:

Kit-

I remember Up With People. They came to my high school or junior high, I don’t remember. But I do remember I loved them and thought they were so cool and fun! I wanted to be a part of it, but I can’t sing or dance and I was always too chicken to try anything.

Happy Father’s Day to my dad, Ralph, Ed, and all the other dads!

June 14th, 2008 at 1:51 pm

27. Emily says:

My dad’s name is Mike. He is the oldest of 5 kids, and his dad golfed every Saturday his whole life. Because of that, he swore that he wouldn’t touch a golf club until his kids were grown, and by now it’s a little too late. So he goes to the gym compulsively instead now…

My very favorite memory about Dad is that whenever we were dressed up to go somewhere (church, etc.) or ‘just because’ our blue eyes looked big and blue in those blue jammies, he would say, “Look at that pretty girl! But do you know what the prettiest thing about you is?” And when we would obligingly ask, “What?”, he would say with great gusto and a big hug or kiss, “The girl inside.” This always meant the world to my sister and me, and I think it has helped us always remember that inner beauty far surpasses the fleeting beauty of the exterior.

June 14th, 2008 at 3:11 pm

28. Cindy says:

My father’s name is Jerry. One time when I was about 5 we were driving & I told him I could walk home faster than he was driving & he stopped on the side of the road & told me to get out. I cried & begged him not to put me out. He still laughs about that now & I tell my kids that story when they tell me to drive faster.

June 14th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

29. Melissa @ Anxious for Nothing says:

My dad, Jim, is a very musical guy. He has a wonderful singing voice, plays trumpet and keyboard, and has been involved in many choirs and other musical ensembles his whole life. All during my growing-up years (and still to this day), he always went around the house singing very goofy songs. I think the one I heard most often had something to do with Paul Bunyan having “funyan” eating an onion. For better or worse, I inherited the silly song gene from him. 😉

June 14th, 2008 at 5:42 pm

30. Ann says:

My father’s name was Wint, short for Winton. He was named for the doctor who saved his father’s life. Apparently, he had some strange condition where his stomach filled up with pus (sorry for the gorry details) and when the doctor lanced him, it shot all the way up to the ceiling. My father used to laugh when he told the story while the rest of us sat around gagging.

June 14th, 2008 at 6:46 pm

31. Laura says:

My dad’s name was Mike. He was very smart, looked a bit like Ed Harris, worked hard, volunteered everywhere, was at church every time the doors were open, was quick with a smile, never met a stranger, could fix anything, loved kids, got me hooked on cryptograms & Sudoku, loved playing board games & cards with us, told great stories & jokes, pitched softball for our church team every year, loved going on short term mission trips, taught me how to ride a bike and bowl and waterski and drive. I could go on, but I’ll stop there. God promoted him to Heaven last year very unexpectedly. I miss him so much it still hurts.

June 14th, 2008 at 6:52 pm

32. Janera says:

My daddy’s name was John, but his mama called him “John Thomas,” because as we all know, mama’s sometimes need more than one syllable for effect when calling their children hither.

Daddy died too young, but not before he married his bride, served in the Army, raised 4 children, built about a million miles of pipeline at the end of a welding rod, and loved on his grandbabies.

I suspect he’s up in heaven rocking the babies and telling Jesus the same old story, over and over and over. I can just hear Jesus: “John Thomas, I heard this one already!”

June 14th, 2008 at 7:24 pm

33. Dorothy Davis says:

My Dad was Ratliff Ferdinand.He was named after his Grandpa.He was born 1909 and his Grandpa Ferd was born in 1846.My fathers nickname was Rat.I would hate a nickname like that,but he didn’t seem to mind.
      He was a farmer in North Florida.He had 3 daughters,I’m the third daughter ,then 3 sets of twins.Two boys,a boy and a girl then two girls.I was six years old when my mom had the last set of twins.The names-Donald,Ronald,Curtis,Myrtice,Linda,Glenda.NO JOKE!

June 14th, 2008 at 8:16 pm

34. Linda says:

My dad’s name was Wren. He served during World War II in the South Pacific, caught “yellow fever” and malaria and came home with a whole lot less hair. He was mostly bald all my life with cornflower blue eyes and a ready smile and I thought he was the most handsome man. He had a soft spot for animals of any kind, loved children (good thing – there were 5 of us)and enjoyed building things. He teased us unmercifully and always had a joke or two to share. He worked hard as a feed salesman and later a marketing director to provide for our large family. He is now “face to face” but we were blessed to have him around for 73 years. Happy Father’s Day to all the great Dads out there!

June 14th, 2008 at 8:26 pm

35. Michelle says:

Well, I cannot be entered into your contest as I have a Canadian address – but wanted to share anyway.

My dad’s name is James Donald. He goes by Don. He has 13 brothers and sisters. Two of his sister’s married a Don – so my dad goes by “Legit Donald”.

My favorite story is when he had a contest with his brothers on who could make the highest stilts. My dad strapped all the 2X4’s that he could find together and stepped off the barn roof. And promptly fell face first on the ground.

He won. And he has the scar over his eye to prove it.
      I love that story!

June 14th, 2008 at 8:56 pm

36. Nancy says:

My dad’s first name is Rogers (with an “s”). This always throws people. They all want to call him Roger. I remember one time after we had moved to a new town I went with my mom to the telephone company to have our new phone hooked up. When it came time to tell the woman my dad’s name she asked, “Rogers, with an s?” and my mom said, “Yes.” She asked “Why?” and without missing a beat my mom replied, “I don’t know, maybe at one time there were two of them!”

One quirky thing my dad always does that used to really bug me is he never says goodbye at the end of a phone conversation. He just hangs up!

June 14th, 2008 at 9:45 pm

37. Jeanne A says:

My dad’s first name was Nevin. I miss him. He was a great dad.

June 14th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

38. Wendy says:

My daddy’s name is Ricky. He is a smart, quiet, patient man. He’s really good at fixing things. His older sister told me that when he and my uncle were younger, my uncle would take things apart and my father would put them back together again.

He is such a great dad; he has three girls and all of us are “Daddy’s girls”. We are so blessed.

June 15th, 2008 at 12:42 am

39. The Other Elle says:

My dad’s name is Charles. He’s been called many names over the years, from “Boy” and “Chots” in his youth, to “Lietuenant” and “Medic!” in his Army days, to “Charlie” and “Daddy” when we children were younger, and now “Daddo” to his grandchildren.

He’s a spontaneous, fun-loving man who likes nothing better than to throw a suitcase into the car and go on a trip. Anywhere, anytime. To see the fall foliage in New England, to ride a surrey on the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore, to walk the hallowed grounds of Gettysburg, or stand where the Wright Brothers flew their plane at Kill Devil Hills — we kids got to see the USA and learn about its history the very best way: with our eyes and ears and fingers and feelings.

When we turned 16, he took each of us to Europe for two or three weeks, to do the Grand Tour: England, France, Monaco, Germany, Switzerland, Italy. We traveled to some of the major cities of the Old World, to help us appreciate the cultures that created the New World.

Now that we are older still and each have our own children, Dad has written books of his memoirs and made tapes of his memories, so that we know where *we* came from, specifically. They are an invaluable treasure, those memories.

Better yet, he has helped to spearhead a drive to videotape American veterans telling their stories, so that each surviving veteran has a chance to be heard. With an average of 1,800 veterans dying every day, Dad knows that he can’t possibly capture all of them on tape.

On the other hand, I don’t think the word “impossible” is in Dad’s vocabulary….

Dad helped to make us who we are, and he helped us to understand why we are who we are.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad. You are still The Greatest.

June 15th, 2008 at 1:40 am

40. Confused Foreigner says:

My Dad’s name is Harold.
      His Dad immigrated to Canada from Scotland when he was young. My Dad was born in Canada, and after my Dad’s Dad passed away the family had no contact with the family back in Scotland. My Dad never knew any of his relatives on his Dad’s side. That is until a cousin living in England posted an add in our local newspaper about 15-20 years ago looking for any relatives of my Dad’s Dad. She wanted to re-connect with anyone she could find but all she knew was the name of our city where Grandpa had moved as a young man. Years later, my parents still have a wonderful relationship with Dad’s cousin June in England. They exchange photos, letters, and call each other.

June 15th, 2008 at 5:35 am

41. klutzymama says:

My dad was known as Mouse in high school. Him and my mom started dating when they were freshmen, so she became Mrs. Mouse. I always thought that was so cute! I love my dad so much! He’s got an awesome sense of humor and has instilled in me a GREAT love of the Andy Griffith Show! I watch an episode every night before bed!

June 15th, 2008 at 8:05 am

42. diane says:

My Dad’s name was John Joseph James. My Mom called him Jack, his aunts Johnny and his father Sonny. Confusing? He tried to be a handyman :0 when we were little he started building a boat — exciting stuff when you are 10. We made the back of the boat — and even named it. The project ended there. Years later we were cleaning out Moms house and there was the boat! My brother still has it hanging in his garage.

June 15th, 2008 at 8:14 am

43. Sandra ~ My Inspired Heart says:

My dad’s name is Charles Bernard…named after his dad and it’s also my brother’s name. Bernard, Charles, and Charlie 🙂

My dad is a great man…always willing to above and beyond the call of duty for anyone in his path 🙂

June 15th, 2008 at 10:14 am

44. momo says:

My dad’s name is Robert. He was a busy man when I was a child but he always made time for fun.
      We would go to a drive through restaraunt and he would tell the cashier our order. Only he would leave out every other word. (I …Like to ….Cheese…..) Anyway, I know it sounds cruel to mess with the poeple at the drive through but he could do it perfectly and he would never laugh to let them know what was going on.
      My dad is my best friend and a wonderful person.

June 15th, 2008 at 1:57 pm

45. Jennifer says:

My dad’s name is Floyd.
      My grandma tells the story of when he was 3 and they were at church. Next thing she knew, dad had crawled under the pews all the way to the front of the church and she had to go get him. When he was in high school, he was in the band. He had to quit though because he couldn’t march and play at the same time.

June 15th, 2008 at 2:15 pm

46. Candace says:

My dad’s name is Jim Jones. But not the Jim Jones that everyone thinks of. My dad got out of the Navy to raise me after his and my mom’s divorce because she gave up custody. My dad used to dress me in a flannel button down shirt, overalls, and plow boots everyday until he met my step-mom, then he dressed me in pink from head to toe! I was 2yrs old when he took over as full time dad. He and my mom (step-mom) has given me a whole life that my real mother could have never given to me.

June 15th, 2008 at 2:59 pm

47. edj says:

My dad’s name was Ernest. He was born in Kansas in 1919 (he was 47 when I was born!), in a Mennonite family, and grew up speaking German. He didn’t learn English till he started school at age 6! He met my mother in Ethiopia, and by the time I knew him, he could speak 6 languages. He lived all over the world, but he loved people. I was only 15 when he died, but my brothers’ friends (much older than I) commented on how he was a person they felt they could come to with problems and questions. I have memories of the house filled with teenage and college age boys, talking to my dad. (This when I was too young to appreciate my luck 😉

June 15th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

48. Moleta King (Megan D's Mom) says:

Moleta says:
      My dad’s name was Spencer Newton Lankford. Some called him Spence, Newt or Slim (I wish I had taken after that “slim” side of my family. This is my 20th Father’s Day without him, and it is still hard. Memories have just flooded my mind when I started reading these comments. 1st- I used to get nose bleeds all the time. One day, we were expecting company, so we were cleaning house, making homemade ice cream and my nose started bleeding. Mom called daddy at work. He said he would bring home gift for me. He rode in a car pool, and I was watching for him. He gets out with this big burlap sack. In it were 7 Bantum chickens. I loved those miniature chickens for a long time. (But I didn’t understand the connection between nose bleeds and chickens. 2nd-We lived out in the country. The drive in theater was just up the highway from our house, They always put on a big fireworks show on July 4th. We would buy firecrackers and have family & friends over for food and fun. Daddy was setting off our fireworks and he had some Roman candles in his back pocket. A spark lit them, and I never saw my daddy move so fast. He wasn’t hurt, but it sure changed how we did fireworks. 3rd and last memory- We had a big barn with a hay loft. One summer Daddy decided he wanted to build a boat. He knew it would take him awhile, so he didn’t want to build it outside. He moved all his wood and tools to the hay loft. For 2 or 3 years, he worked on that BIG BOAT. When it was finished, he realized he couldn’t get it out of the loft. When we moved away from the farm, the boat was still in the hay loft. Some farmer sure got a surprise! Thanks for this opportunity to share. Moleta

June 15th, 2008 at 4:28 pm

49. Sarah N. says:

My dad’s name is Charles – but most people call him Chuck. We call him Papa. My 7 year old son is currently with Papa way far off in Wisconsin, visiting my grandfather. I know they are making memories but i am afraid Ian will come home totally spoiled!

Thanks for the great giveaway!

June 15th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

50. Nikki says:

I’m lucky enough to have had 2 dads – my dad dad was Michael. He was great at telling jokes and loved, loved, loved baseball. He died a few months before I got married more than 10 years ago. I miss him terribly. My (step) dad is Tom – he joined my family when I was in 9th grade – he missed diapers, but was lucky enough to catch me right in time for the tween years (even though that name had not been given to them yet!). I thank God that he stuck around! We named our son Thomas, in his honor.

June 15th, 2008 at 5:44 pm

51. Julie C says:

My dad’s name is Dave. He is a great dad. One year his summer job was working with a carnival running the Ferris Wheel. Hearing about that is a favorite family story.

June 15th, 2008 at 6:48 pm

My dad’s name was Harold, and he was a GREAT story teller. He was normally out hunting or fishing on Saturday mornings when I was a kid, but when he was home, he would watch Bugs Bunny with us and laugh harder than any one of us kids. I laughed more at him than at the cartoons.

June 15th, 2008 at 9:38 pm

53. Cindy V says:

My dad’s name was Clyde, he had a great laugh and used it often.

When he was little his parents called him Jr. so when he went off to school he did not know he needed to answer to Clyde when the teacher called him.
      Wish he were here to take my sons fishing and tell us all his funny stories. Looking forward to seeing him on the other side of the river, up by Beulah land.

June 15th, 2008 at 10:50 pm

54. Thea says:

My Dad’s name is Theo, he is a math teacher and a programmer. When I was little, he got his first computer- an old commodore 64, with those black screens with green letters on it. My Dad said that they would become the future one day and everyone would have one on their desks. He tried to put me behind it, but since you couldn’t even really type anything, because there was no backspace or delete, I didn’t see the fun of it.

Then my Dad stayed up working a few nights and days, and one day he brought me back to it and said ‘meet your new friend!’. The computer now had a face, made up out of parenthesis and 0’s. He had made this program and it asked me for my name, which I had to type in. It asked me to be its friend. And then… it continued to ask me all these math problems! When I tried to quit, it asked me if I still wanted to be it’s friend.. I got pretty good at Math that year.

Fast forward 25 years, I went to college and became a programmer myself and now I program educational software for little kids, much like my Dad did that day for me. He always sparked my imagination, and not only let me dream, but also allowed for my dreams to come true when he spent most of his savings on my college education. I owe my creativity, my career and my happiness to my Dad.

June 15th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

55. Sue says:

My dad’s middle name is Alfred, and he always just signed A. for his middle initial because he didn’t like it. He is a wonderful Christian example and has a great sense of humor. He added the laughter to our home, and I can remember company sitting around the kitchen table with everyone laughing at my dad’s stories and funny ways of saying things. My sister is blessed with this easy humor, too. My dad is not well now. I have been blessed with a great father. We have all been blessed with an even more awesome Heavenly Father. I am glad your blog honors God. I am so sad when I have read blogs that do not honor Him, and I don’t read those again.

June 16th, 2008 at 12:01 am

56. Holly says:

I know it’s too late for the contest, but I wanted to write out some memories of my Daddy anyway. His name is Ric, and when I was growing up he was a DJ on the radio. My friends thought that was pretty cool. He does a fabulous duck voice. He wrote a song for my wedding, and he and my mom sang it during the ceremony. He used to be in a country band, was the lead singer with long hair… now he has very little hair! He must be going through a mid life crisis, b/c last year he bought a Harley and got 3 tattoos! When I was about 10, my sister and I bet him that he couldn’t do a cartwheel and he did one right in the parking lot of our favorite pizza place!! His dad was murdered when my dad was about the age of my son, so he grew up without a dad. He had two daughters, and now is enjoying his grandsons (4 of them) and 2 sweet granddaughters, who all call him Pop. I love my dad!

June 17th, 2008 at 10:35 pm

57. bonniebeth says:

I was out of town and missed the contest 🙁 , but like Holly, I want to mention my daddy too.
      His name was James and he put himself through college in the depression – became a minister who preached for over 65 years. He was the warmest, most loving man I ever knew. I sat in his lap every morning until I married – then I would sit in his lap when I visited his home. The last time I sat in his lap, he was 92 and getting frail. He asked me if I were one of his – I told him yes and he asked which one I was. I told him Beth and he said “I guess it is okay for you to sit in my lap then.”

A funny fact about my dad was discovered after he died and I was going through his correspondence. I discovered a letter from the governor of Alabama addressed to my dad in 1949 – thanking him for his letter and the suggestion to make mechanical turn signals a requirement for motor vehicles in the state. The governor said he had forwarded his letter on to the department of motor vehicles. That was my dad 🙂

June 18th, 2008 at 9:46 am

58. Carrie says:

I read every single one. Thanks for sharing the memories of all your fathers. I think this is an exceptionally blessed group!

June 25th, 2008 at 1:44 am